Do you use reusable grocery bags?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Do you use reusable grocery bags?

Just came across this news. I never thought of washing mine. Please read and stay healthy. - Pingo

http://uanews.org/node/32521

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Re: Do you use reusable grocery bags?

In Response to Do you use reusable grocery bags?:
    [QUOTE]Just came across this news. I never thought of washing mine. Please read and stay healthy. - Pingo http://uanews.org/node/32521
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, rather scary.  I wonder if the same applies to backpacks and insulated lunch bags .  Thanks for posting this article, Pingo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, dripping chicken containers...I am reminded of Emeril Lagasse's advice to "wash the car the chicken came home in" to emphasize the need to keep all work surfaces sanitary and beware of cross contamination.  Love him.

Thanks, Pingo, for the reminder.  Gross!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, love Emeril too! I am not a germophobic - but i am quite conscientious of clean working surfaces. A little effort can avoid a big problem.
    Another pet peeve of mine is the shopping carts. Here comes mom with a cute baby sitting with a leaking diaper in the front basket. Next customer comes and throw a cantalupe, a packet of ground beef and a loaf of bread right on top of the coli. Then go home and put everything right on her kitchen counter. I learned from TV, that that frontbasket is one of the most unsanitary items (right after the first floor button on the elevator).  If the store offers sanitary wipes, use them. And always wrap your items in a plastic bag before placing them in your cart. Then toss the bags as soon as you get home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Eww, never thought of the dirty diaper in there.  Yuck!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

How about those GROWN UPS who sneeze into their hands, and then push their carts? Why pick on babies? Most parents today are scared to gee-whiz about having their babies in the carts, and the parents bring their own sanitary pads or cushions for baby.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Reindeergirl,
    I would never pick on babies and their mothers. The research and health deparments are. They took swabs from the seats in the carts.  They are more germy than a public rest room. Imagine that?
    I totally agree with you, that people with a cold, coughing and sneezing are just as bad. Therefore be proactive and wipe off the carts with a sanitary wipe before you start shopping. Most stores provide them. Or if you happen to shop at a place, that does not provide them, bring your own. - Pingo

http://www.sanitizesystems.com/press_1.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

I'm so not a germaphobe, but yesterday I went into a store that I go to often. The checkout girl looked miserable,and when I asked her if she was feeling O.K. she said "No, my throat hurts and I feel awful" I asked her if she could get anybody to cover her shift for her. She said her last customer asked her the same thing,but management apparently said no. Now this girl was so obviously not well,and transferring cash, credit cards etc.. I did the Purex thing after this,but if I have a sore throat tomorrow I will be angry.bg.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning BG,
    What you describe, is a major problem. People too sick to be working, but going to work anyway. Sometimes it is a management problem, but more often, the employee does not want to - or cannot afford to - loose a day's pay.
    Now, let us not be hysterical. We cannot live in a bubble. But if we all use a bit of common sense as far as hygiene is concerned, we will all be better off. No need for major sanitation. Hand washing for example is such a simple thing one can do, and it has been shown to be very effective. It is the first thing I do, when I get to my office. And the first thing I do when I get home - even before I unload my groceries and put them away. I also use my own pen, when I have to sign anything or fill out a form (at the doc's office f. ex). And then I use the wipes. I already got my flu shot.

Hope you will avoid getting a sore throat and for a healthy winter for all of us.    - Pingo

In Response to Re: Do you use reusable grocery bags?:
    [QUOTE]I'm so not a germaphobe, but yesterday I went into a store that I go to often. The checkout girl looked miserable,and when I asked her if she was feeling O.K. she said "No, my throat hurts and I feel awful" I asked her if she could get anybody to cover her shift for her. She said her last customer asked her the same thing,but management apparently said no. Now this girl was so obviously not well,and transferring cash, credit cards etc.. I did the Purex thing after this,but if I have a sore throat tomorrow I will be angry.bg.
    Posted by beastsgirl[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Pingo,

I love stores that provide wipes, and I use them always. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Thanks for posting that, Pingo! I generally assume that everything out in public is germy but I didn't really think about the germs being transmitted to the bags. I'm not a germaphobe, but keeping stuff clean does help.

When I used to ride the subway everywhere I taught myself never to touch my face and to head directly to the restroom to wash my hands when I got to my destination. Just doing that reduced the number of headcolds I got by more than half. Also, at work, I tried to keep other people's phone handsets away from my face. Phones are amazingly germy.

And, I hear you loud and clear about people who are sick staying home. I wish more companies had better sick leave policies.

I have a relative who makes fun of few of us for how we handle uncooked meats, keeping the utensils separate and washing up carefully, but I guess she hasn't gotten the word from Emeril. Now excuse me while I go clean the car ;-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks for your post Green Mountain. Have never seen you on these boards - so welcome!
    I am not a germaphobic either - but I do like to like to take precautions as far as my health is concerned. I cannot "afford" to get a cold. I have a very sensitive bronchial system. If I do not take precautions, I will end up with bronchitis and 4 - 6 weeks of coughing and hacking and lots of antibiotics. Being proactive, even though friends and co-workers are laughing at me, have cut down those incidents drastically. I do what i have to do for me. Hope you will do the same for you - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

This applies to more than reusable grocery bags. There was a study recently that tested the amount of germs on certain every day items. One of the worst offenders was a woman's handbag. The reasoning was that woman tend to put their handbags down on almost any surface and then pick up the germs from that surface. Of course you can wipe down your handbag if its washable but who does that on a daily basis?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Agree with you Celia. For that reason I never put my handbag down on the floor of a restroom as well as the floor in any restaurant. Whenever I can, I just leave in my car - or bring a bag, I can sling over my shoulder.
    I just cringe, whenever a guest just plunk down her handbag on my kitchen counter or my dining table. I would never do that in anyone's home. I try to find a corner on the floor, where I can place it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

This is one of the many reasons why I don't use reuseable grocery bags.  Pingo - I also agree with you about putting your purse down - NEVER!  I also try to get purses with "feet" on the bottom.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi all. Now that I think about it, I will never again take my purse into the ladies room. Eew! bg.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I just got quite an education on this board!  Never thought about my purse, but I do take the MBTA and if I have bags from shopping, I put them on the floor of the train and my purse on my lap.  Won't do that anymore!  I am aware to not touch the handrails of the stairs or escalators and I absouletly move when someone sitting next to me or above me is obviously sick.  I am like you Pingo, when I get a cold I tend to get bronchitis and I have had pneumonia twice.  I get so mad at people I work with who come in sick and brag they never take a day off. I always tell them I don't appreciate getting sick and if they ask, the manager would not appreciate them getting the entire office sick either.  Some people are simple..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Green - welcome!  No one in my family knows I do this, but I use two utensils to cook chicken on the stove, one that comes in contact with it while it's raw that gets tossed in the dishwasher and replaced by another that only touches cooked surfaces.   And, about work policies, I totally agree, as well.  I actually worked for a company that took away sick time and made it all vacation (adding 3 days to the vacation total per year).  So, since no one wants to waste their vacation on being sick, everyone came to work sick.  Nice, huh?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, that is exactly what I have in my company!  I have a set bank of days per year that you can use for anything.  Ridiculous but honestly if I am sick, I am staying home.  After getting laid off after 10 years with a company, my loyalty factor has shifted a bit...  LOL!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I also stayed home sick, but I paid for it.  My family lives far away, and I never had enough vacation to take time off for fun.  I got migraines and also have asthma and am prone to bronchitis like you and Pingo.  So, that "Paid Time Off" policy really didn't work for me.  Sounds like it's a bad deal for you, too, sorry to hear that!  I think it works for those folks who just don't need it.  They end up with extra vacation.  And, phooey on the rest of us, right?  :(  Yeah, those people who come to work sick, get everyone else sick, and then BRAG about never taking a sick day do NOT impress me favorably!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Kar said "No one in my family knows I do this, but I use two utensils to cook chicken on the stove, one that comes in contact with it while it's raw that gets tossed in the dishwasher and replaced by another that only touches cooked surfaces."

I do this too!! Even when I grill, food goes on and gets its first flip with one set of tongs, then I either wash them or grab another set to continue cooking and pull it off the grill.  I've gotten a few eye rolls when others have watched me cook and I always thought I was the only one!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, YAY, Nov!  I've washed my favorite tongs a few times, too, while grilling!  I've managed to hide it because I'm usually alone in the kitchen (I use a double burner iron grill pan), and I'm pretty nonchalant about it, not calling attention to what I'm doing at the sink.  LOL!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

November and Kar,
    Why are you hiding your sanitary habits? You should promote them. I also use different utensils for raw and cooked meat. And I am not hiding it. If my guests think less of me, that is their problem. My health comes before anything else, as noted above.
    One very good friend, had her dog "clean" the plates. It made me "sick". I do not visit her any longer. She and her husband come to visit US. We found some excuse, it would be easier for her to come here.

I am truly sorry, if I scared you all off. That was not my intention at all. I just wanted to make you aware, that there are a lot of germs out there. Germs that potentially can make us all sick.
    The latest is this super-bug from India, that is resistant to every antibiotic on the market. I know, you may not all travel to India, but it has been transferred here by travellers.
    I just want my Chat friends stay healthy. Do not want to miss your posts. My best to all of you - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I use hand sanitizer if I'm sick.  I'm careful with raw meat.   I don't wipe shopping carts or worry about the grocery bags. 

But I'm going to start -- the idea of diaper bottoms where I put my groceries is icky!

And my hat's off to whoever thought about sneezing into your elbow instead of your hand! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I don't hide it either, Pingo.  I just got the feeling that others who have seen it think I'm being overly paranoid.  Fine by me - at least I know the food I'm serving is clean.

Sections
Shortcuts