E-mail notification

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

E-mail notification

I wanted to let everybody know that we have enabled email notification for discussions, represented by the Subscribe button at the top of each thread. When you click on that button and Subscribe to a discussion, you'll get an email every time somebody posts something to that discussion. We've asked for the feature to be refined a bit so that you can have the option to receive emails only when someone responds specifically to you. I'll keep you posted on that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: E-mail notification

Thanks for the update!  I've tried it, and it works well, but like you say, I'd like it a lot better if it just notified you when someone posts a response to something you posted instead of the whole thread.  One thing at a time, I know how it goes in SW development.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Whoo hoo..I am being sincere here....I made a rhymn   hehe...Thanks dottie

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Dottie, I have tried it, but it does not look like it works for me. Don' t get any e-mails from the Chat.
    Maybe b/c I have an add ban installed. You think that would do it?
    If so, I would much rather not have all the silly adds. I can always look up and scroll down the posts.
    But thanks anyway for installing it. - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In Response to Re: E-mail notification:
    [QUOTE]Hi Dottie, I have tried it, but it does not look like it works for me. Don' t get any e-mails from the Chat. Maybe b/c I have an add ban installed. You think that would do it? If so, I would much rather not have all the silly adds. I can always look up and scroll down the posts. But thanks anyway for installing it. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hello Pingo...did you suscribe? You can always unsuscribe later

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good to hear from you icer!
    Yes, I did indeed subscribe. My two boys set up my new Mac - and I know they installed a bunch of safety features. Also, I have an ad-ban, so I don' t see all those stupid ads jumping up and down the screen. Plus I now have a 'junk' button. Anything I feel is junk, I send that way, and I will not hear from them again. How many times have I gotten ads for a colon rinse or for Acai berries. Often several times a day. Now they are all gone - it is really nice. But I still do not get any e-mails from the forums. Not that is such a big deal. I can scroll.

How is the house coming along? Did you and Honey finish your projects and has Mom moved in with you? How is she doing?

I envy you for your red tomatoes. I hope you will try to pickle some of the green ones though. I like the smaller sized ones for that. Not exactly the cherry ones, but the smaller sized green ones. They are really delicious. Great with the TG turkey.
    Have you used some of your cukes for the 'freezer cukes'? I don't grow them, but I buy the very small ones that come in a pack of 5 or 6. I forgot, what they call them --. One pack is just right for 'pickling'. This is now the only pickled cucumber my family will eat. Ha! I made several batches last year a week or so before TG and used them for hostess gifts around Christmas time. Now everyone want more. I freeze them in zip lock containers, because they are so much more easy to stack. But later I put them in jars and spif up the jar a bit with some nice label and a 'hat' of some pretty fabric tied with a nice ribbon. Ready to go.
    Best to you and your honey my dear - Love, Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

In Response to E-mail notification:
    [QUOTE]I wanted to let everybody know that we have enabled email notification for discussions, represented by the Subscribe button at the top of each thread. When you click on that button and Subscribe to a discussion, you'll get an email every time somebody posts something to that discussion. We've asked for the feature to be refined a bit so that you can have the option to receive emails only when someone responds specifically to you. I'll keep you posted on that.
    Posted by BDCDottie[/QUOTE]
    Two problems it seesm, i think are yours and not mine. FIrst. For some reason, they suddenly started going in to SPAM and secondly, I can't find out how to get the notification to just my posts. I was getting them for all the posts to the thread I subscribed to. That is too much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Ken,
    Welcome back - at least I think you and Mrs. Ken must be back by now. I hope your car is all good and well again and you made your trip back home w/o any problems.

I think you and I have the same problem. Our e-mails go into - you call it spam, I called it junk. Your word is probably a better choice. My boys set me up with all the spam filters available. You used to get some e-mails, I haven't gotten a single one - not even the ones I subscribe to.
    We are 'burning' up here in Boston these days. Hit 97 today on my thermometer in the shade. Don' t like it one bit. I had to fill up my car this afternoon - and I thought I was going to pass out. Yesterday was a bit better, if you think 93 is better. Well at least it is not humid today and we do have a brise.  How the heck can you stand this heat day in and day out? We are expecting the rest of the week to be almost just as hot. I guess we finally got the summer, we were complaining on not having, but getting it bit by bit - instead of having it dumped on us all at once would have been a lot better. -P

[QUOTE]In Response to E-mail notification : Two problems it seesm, i think are yours and not mine. FIrst. For some reason, they suddenly started going in to SPAM and secondly, I can't find out how to get the notification to just my posts. I was getting them for all the posts to the thread I subscribed to. That is too much.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

The only way we stand the heat is go out early,,,and then the rest of the day stay in....if we can.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to E-mail notification:
    [QUOTE]I wanted to let everybody know that we have enabled email notification for discussions, represented by the Subscribe button at the top of each thread. When you click on that button and Subscribe to a discussion, you'll get an email every time somebody posts something to that discussion. We've asked for the feature to be refined a bit so that you can have the option to receive emails only when someone responds specifically to you. I'll keep you posted on that.

I love it! It's perfect, and it's easy to use!

Thanks so much to you and your staff!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

I'm afraid I can't help you with the spam and junk filter settings on your personal email accounts ... but as for the type of notifications, for right now you can subscribe only to an entire thread. We have a request in to fine-tune it so that you are notified only when someone responds to you specifically.

Hope that helps...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Dottie,
    you guys are doing a great job, believe me. Things are so much more easy to use. And truly - if I don' t have to watch all those silly ads - I am happy to scroll. Whenever you fine tune that, I might set my resident IT guys in action to hack whatever, so I can see your 'spam' e-mails only. They are great at doing that. I just got rid of some consistently annoying advertisers. How may times a day do I really have to read about Ophra's Acai Berries?
    Thanks again Dottie and to all your elves - for your good work. Was really worried for awhile about the forum shutting down completely, when the sale of the Globe came about. Hopefully, this will never happen. The Globe and the Chat are institutions. - Pingo

[QUOTE]I'm afraid I can't help you with the spam and junk filter settings on your personal email accounts ... but as for the type of notifications, for right now you can subscribe only to an entire thread. We have a request in to fine-tune it so that you are notified only when someone responds to you specifically. Hope that helps...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

No problem, Pingo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo and Ken, you can go into your Spam settings and add anything from BDC as OK.

Dottie, thank you so much for keeping us informed and being our advocate!  I have a question about our filters - what should pingo and ken put in as the address to see as non-spam mail?  They have to add a specific address to keep from getting caught in the filter.

Thanks, again!

~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Ah, good question. How about trying www.boston.com/community/forums and see if that works.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That will only work if the filter allows for non-email address entries.  Not sure if that's an option.  I'm not in their boat so I can't try it out myself.

Thanks for the suggestion!

pingo and ken, see if your filter allows non-email address entries and try that one if so.  If it only allows specific addresses (that have an @ symbol) you're out of luck with that suggestion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Sorry, kar ... I forgot it's an email address. Duh!

The notifications are sent from community@boston.com.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, kar ... I forgot it's an email address. Duh! The notifications are sent from community@boston.com.

Ah, that's it.

Anyone who wants to keep the BDC messages from ending up in the spam folder can add the address above that Dottie provided to the filter in the list of addresses to allow as valid.