Every Other Day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Every Other Day

Are there any other retirees out there who find themselves to be "every other day" energy people?  I've decided that's what I am.  Yesterday at this time I was dressed, had a wash thrown in, kitchen picked up, ready to dash out, and here I am this morning, lolling around in my bathrobe, wishing I didn't have errands that have to be run this morning.  Is it just because I know I don't have to get out to work that lulls me into this lazy hang about mood?  If I look back at the calendar, I find I schedule "play dates" with my friends pretty much on that every other day schedule too.  Seem to need that day in between to just wander around the house, doing a little of this and a little of that and really not much of anything!  Am I alone or are there others who admit to doing the same?  I know you working ladies don't have that luxury, neither did I for "X" number of years.  And no, I'm not lacking vitamins or thyroid meds or adequate sleep - it just seems to be my constitution at this point.  Anyone else?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Every Other Day

Well, I'm not exactly retired being 38, but I am a housewife and definitely don't have the same energy level every day.  I've never considered if it's every other day, though.  Could be.  I'll try to notice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, maybe it's more a "those of us who are at home" syndrome, and not just a 'retired" one.  That makes me feel a little better anyway, not to think of it as age related.  I could also just be a "homebody" too, someone who just enjoys being home.  We'll see what any others have to say. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I addressed this issue in another area of my life.
     TT is is so funny when are thoughts are sooo in sink with each other.

For me, I am noticing it is sun related. When it is sunny, I abound with energy. When it is cloudy I am not so much feeling the groove

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, this lazy lay-about is on the way out to do those errands.  Had a good laugh on a phone call this morning and that sort of got me in gear.  Also got an email with cute Halloween pics of Lilly and siblings, that brought a smile to my face.  Looks like the start of a good day.  Hope when I get back some others have weighed in on this phenomenon.

Yes, Icer.  If I didn't know better I would think you are G.T.'s friend who visits that I am so attuned to.  Astral lining ups, I guess.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Isn't it funny how if a day starts off good, things just keep getting better?  Mine started off really good and then got progressively better from there.  Ran into a co-worker I haven't seen in years and had a nice chat, then a fellow neighbor (well 5 streets down) who again I haven't seen in about a year, and then chatted with a really nice couple in M.B. about pumpkin soup - he being a soup maker and taking down my recipe!

Another tidbit of information that I find interesting - remember the elderly man who was mowing the knee high grass who told me the story about the wife being out West to visit an ailing father and the husband working a lot of hours, that's why noone was around?  Their house is on the market, a divorce and a short sale.  Why he felt the need to fabricate such a story is beyond me.  I only asked if they were alright. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Some people worker harder...not smarter

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning, it feels like this is my "every other day" this morning, but then again looking out the windows - the weather is not appealing at all. And I hear they say, "Snow!" later today. So, maybe Icer is right about her reasons for us not being up to it on some days.
    I didn't sleep well last night. My pinched nerve came back with vengeance and I couldn't find a way to rest. It is better this morning, but I feel totally drained. Wish I could stay at home today, but I am having the Workman's Comp. auditor coming at 11. Depending on who it is - it can take an hour or it can take the rest of the day. I am hoping this one will get hungry and leave at lunch time. Then I can leave early and go home to rest a bit.
    You all have a good day - go find your shovels. - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've been paying attention, and it's not every other day for me.  However, if I'm cold I'm miserable, depressed even, and just want to sleep.  It doesn't have to be sunny, but I must dress warmly enough to be comfortable or I don't want to do anything or go anywhere (inside the house or outside).  I drink a lot of herbal tea, not for the taste or hydration (although those are good) but for the warmth of holding it and how the hot tea warms up my insides.  Sometimes I take a travel mug in the car on very cold days so I can be happy while the heat comes up to speed.

That being said, I have off days in the summer, too, when I'm never cold.  So, we'll have to revisit this again.  Maybe I'm imagining the correlation between my feeling cold and my not wanting to move since it happens all year 'round.  I just can't say for sure.

Something that sprang to mind just before I hit Add is that I have a history of major depression.  I'm not on medication anymore and don't need it, but I have "down" days for no assignable reason.  It's like the depression is always there ready to pounce.  On those days, I have to force myself to do the essentials.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Kargiver
    Just came in to check the boards before my fellow Fair travelers arrive, and saw your post.  I've always heard depression was an imbalance in something - hormones, being one possibility.  Also I think there is the need for daily human intereraction.  That being said, I suppose the predisposition is always there.  And, there are plenty of studies that say all of us, even the usually happiest, are effected by lack of sun in the winter.  I suppose all of that ties into it. 

What I was referring to was just lack of energy, not a "down" day, just a lazy day.  I still have no explanation for that, got a full 7 hours uninterupted sleep last night (unheard of for me), and am a little draggy this morning.  I'm trying to stay away from sweets and trying to take off a few pounds that I put back on, and I know I'll have more energy once I lose even 3-4 pounds.  I put on a show of will power when someone is around, but left to my own devises, such as last night when the apple crisp came out of the oven, I'm bad, bad, bad - two helpings one right after the other!  Of course today is a gingerbread men day, and lunch out, so forget forgoing those sweets.

Hope this is a good day for you in every sense of the word.  I see a car pulling into the driveway - we're off!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, tt,

I do connect when I need to; I almost never experience the feeling of loneliness.  Actually, I thoroughly enjoy my alone time during the days just as much as I enjoy the quality time with DH when he gets home. 

I, too, meant sapped of drive to do much, but not sad, although I can see why my post would be misleading.  I don't have depression anymore, thank God, but I associate that lazy feeling with part of my depression experience and wonder if it has anything to do with my history (and my father's, btw).

We will have a splendid day, thanks, my friend.  You, too!

Sadly, the key to will power is not needing it, not having tempting treats around.  DH has finally stopped asking if we have goodies.  We don't.  Not that we don't splurge.  We took the wedding cake top out of the freezer a couple of days ago and have been eating cake ever since.  And, we will be eating cake every day through Monday, our first anniversary!  Mmmmmmmmm, cake.  It's still REALLY good, just like on our wedding day.

Blessings,
    ~kar

ETA:  Pingo, dear, sorry to hear of your pinched nerve's return.  UGH!!!  Hope you can relax and recoup today.  The sun is out here melting the hard frost.  You can see the shape of the house in what's left of the frost as the sun continues to rise and the shadow moves.  There's just a couple of inches outside of the house shadow - funny.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Every Other Day:
    [QUOTE]Are there any other retirees out there who find themselves to be "every other day" energy people?  I've decided that's what I am.  Yesterday at this time I was dressed, had a wash thrown in, kitchen picked up, ready to dash out, and here I am this morning, lolling around in my bathrobe, wishing I didn't have errands that have to be run this morning.  Is it just because I know I don't have to get out to work that lulls me into this lazy hang about mood?  If I look back at the calendar, I find I schedule "play dates" with my friends pretty much on that every other day schedule too.  Seem to need that day in between to just wander around the house, doing a little of this and a little of that and really not much of anything!  Am I alone or are there others who admit to doing the same?  I know you working ladies don't have that luxury, neither did I for "X" number of years.  And no, I'm not lacking vitamins or thyroid meds or adequate sleep - it just seems to be my constitution at this point.  Anyone else?
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

I'm not retired, and will prolly have to work until I'm 110, but I have those "every other days." My thyroid and iron are fine. It's prolly some depression. I also have sleep apnea, which needs to be treated with the mask thingie. I'm so tired all the time, I haven't even had the energy to post in CC.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That is bad reindeer, if you are too tired to post on the Chat. I have been diagnosed with apnoea too and the c-cap would benefit me. But I also have a husband and I have to choose btw him and the cap. He won!

In Response to Re: Every Other Day:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Every Other Day : I'm not retired, and will prolly have to work until I'm 110, but I have those "every other days." My thyroid and iron are fine. It's prolly some depression. I also have sleep apnea, which needs to be treated with the mask thingie. I'm so tired all the time, I haven't even had the energy to post in CC.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

In Response to Re: Every Other Day:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Every Other Day : I'm not retired, and will prolly have to work until I'm 110, but I have those "every other days." My thyroid and iron are fine. It's prolly some depression. I also have sleep apnea, which needs to be treated with the mask thingie. I'm so tired all the time, I haven't even had the energy to post in CC.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

Reindeergirl -

I have a close relative who was diagnosed with sleep apnea.  He couldn't drive more than an hour without getting drowsy. It was a dangerous situation.  He was also falling asleep at his desk in the afternoon.  He got a c-pap machine and has to wear a mask.  It took him awhile to get used to it, but it's made a world of difference in the quality of his life.  His wife has gotten used to it.  No, it's not glamorous, but you will feel so much better and your health is what's important.
    Sleep apnea may be contributing to your depression, too.

mothermitzi