Fear...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Fear...

An unrealistic perception of life is the basis of fear.  People are not willing to live - people are not willing to die.  That is the whole predicament right now.  The fear is simply because you are not living with life, you are living in your mind.  Your fear is always about what’s going to happen next, that means your fear is always about that which does not exist.  If your fear is about the “non-existential” we call that “insanity”.  So, people may be just socially accepted levels of insanity.  But, if you are afraid of or, if you are suffering anything which does not exist, it amounts to insanity isn’t it?

People are always suffering, either what happened yesterday or, what may happen tomorrow.  So, you’re suffering is always about that which does not exist, simply because you’re not rooted in reality, you are always rooted in your mind.  Mind is one part of it is memory another part is imagination.  Both of them are in one way, imagination because both of them don’t exist right now.  You’re lost in your imagination – that’s the basis of your fear.  If you are rooted in reality there would be no fear.

........discuss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Re: Fear...

Dude, what ARE you smoking over there?

You should look up solopsism:

Its something I have been accused of, on occasion. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

This is why Christianity at its most basic Biblical root of God himself (NOT man-made religion) brings supernatural peace (absense of fear).  It is based on faith in a God who says, "I am the I Am" because he transends time and space, the source of fear.  Therefore, all fear is gone if your trust is 100% in his transceding our inventions of yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb156. Show cb156's posts

RT, you listen to yoga stuff on YouTube?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUdHX1Bent0&

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb156. Show cb156's posts

I can understand fear based on what might happen being something that can keep you from enjoying life today.  But I still won't jump out of a plane with someone's handkerchief tied to my back.
    I would, at the very least take some argument with the idea of memories being an invalid basis of fear.  Should someone that was injured in war not be afraid of going back to war, or sending a son or daughter off to war?
    I think to say that all fear is something that harms us and keeps us from enjoying life is too simplistic.

I won't go onto the roof of my house because it's over 40 feet to the ground should I slip.  I'll pay a professional to do the work.  Does that make me afraid of living life? Lazy? Smart?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My first response was regarding an overall fearful life.

But, that's different than everyday fears that influence our lives and behavior.  And, indeed, I agree that RT's premise is far too simplistic.  Being overrun by fear, imagining the worst and being paralyzed by it, that's a disorder.  But, being proactive by imgining what can go wrong and putting things in place to prevent those things allows for a much happier, freer life imo.  

How can you be proactive without any fear?  And, if you are 100% reactive, aren't you stuck reacting to problems that didn't need to happen?  That doesn't sound like a free, fun life.  DH is a more reactive person than I am, and I'd warn him that this or that might happen if he did such and such.  He, having no fear of those possibilities, ignored my warnings regularly.  That is, until there were enough experiences that went like this, "HONEY?!  What you said would happen DID happen; what do we do NOW?!"  And, I would calmly reply, "I don't know.  My forte is preventing problems."  Now, guess what?  He's a lot more proactive (or at least he isn't so resistent to a warning and a suggestion to prevent a problem) and we have a lot fewer emergencies and problems that need solving.  And, we're both happier for not having to run around solving what were clearly preventable problems.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Fear...:
    [QUOTE]RT, you listen to yoga stuff on YouTube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUdHX1Bent0&
    Posted by cb156[/QUOTE]

YES! Thanks CB....I found him on wimp.com and thought it would make for an interesting conversation and it did!!!

Please read Kar's first post - spot on! There was no argument of any word or words she just replied.....I was curious as to how or if she would respond to the post. My answer - she offered a succinct and direct opinion! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I fear I am lost reading this...  Foot in mouth

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fear... : YES! Thanks CB....I found him on wimp.com and thought it would make for an interesting conversation and it did!!! Please read Kar's first post - spot on! There was no argument of any word or words she just replied.....I was curious as to how or if she would respond to the post. My answer - she offered a succinct and direct opinion! 
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

I didn't have to make any assumptions before I could answer - your OP was unambiguous.  If you make any ambiguous statements or use key words that have multiple meanings while formulating your question, I'm going to ask what you mean before I answer.  Every.  Single.  Time.

Ambiguity fuels a nonsensical discussion that only appears to make sense because we're all using the same words.  What we all mean by them, however, can be anything without an unambiguous start.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

"I don't understand" is a perfectly acceptable response to a post, as is, not responding.

What is it that troubles you about diving in the deep end and just getting wet?

Take Alf's approach and I am certain you will offer a great response to any post!

You're beating yourself up over ambiguity over a word or words and there is no need (IMHO) - SEE YOUR FIRST POST HERE!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb156. Show cb156's posts

well, my response to this one is that it is too simplistic to essentially say that fear--any fear--prevents us from living our lives.
    If I have abandonment issues, and as a result I never get close to anyone, or let anyone get close to me, then yes, that is fear that is keeping me from living my life (even though that statement completely ignores whether I might actually be happy living that way, which is an entirely different debate).
    As an extreme example against this, however, take playing Russian Roulette.  I'm not going to do it because I fear the consequences if I lose (something that is in the future and hasn't happened and is therefore imaginary).  Would anyone really argue that I'm not really living my life because of that?
    I can appreciate the sense of zen behind the statement, but I think a more zen approach would be to acknowledge the fear, understand where it comes from and potentially embrace it, rather than just say it is irrelevant and ignore it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

My Mom has a - fear/phobia - of driving on the highway or being a passenger in a car on the highway.  Result, her world is about a 50 mile radius from her house. A trip via the highway would be 20 minutes, her way 30 to 45 minutes for the same trip.

My Mom has let her - fear/phobia - rule her life when it comes to travel.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

The truly fearless people die early in life. They either get hit by trucks as they are not afraid of them as they step out into the street, or they swallow knives, or they can do all manner of silly things to be given a "Darwin Award". 
    Fear is linked to common sense. Sure, the inherent system gets corrupted over time and we develop "issues", but that is the trade off. 
    Odd how "common sense" can lead to "irrationality", isn't it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]This is why Christianity at its most basic Biblical root of God himself (NOT man-made religion) brings supernatural peace (absense of fear).  It is based on faith in a God who says, "I am the I Am " because he transends time and space, the source of fear.  Therefore, all fear is gone if your trust is 100% in his transceding our inventions of yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Biblical root of god IS man-made religion, no? Didn't men write the bible?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

PLASKO are you smokin' the same stuff as me?  LOL

I thought this guy offered an interesting take on fear and life.  I think Evil Knievel would have been this guy's buddy........or his God!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]My Mom has a - fear/phobia - of driving on the highway or being a passenger in a car on the highway.  Result, her world is about a 50 mile radius from her house. A trip via the highway would be 20 minutes, her way 30 to 45 minutes for the same trip. My Mom has let her - fear/phobia - rule her life when it comes to travel.
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Rog, Does she want to change? Or is it you who wants to change her?
    Now we are getting into phobias - a special brand of "irrational" fear. 
    If she wants to change then there are many options. If not then you have to live with it, she has made her choice. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not beating myself up.  I'm beating you up for expecting me to jump in and form and present an opinion based on ambiguous questions.  

Presenting an unambiguous question (like this OP) in no way curtails the infinite number of possible opinions regarding the answers.  It creates a forum of discussion in which everyone is answering the same question.  If you add ambiguity to the question it's impossible to have a coherent, logical discussion.  All of us answering the same question doesn't imply that we're all going to have the same opinions about it...that seems to be where you get confused since you say you don't want to clarify the question because you're against leading the discussion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fear... : Rog, Does she want to change? Or is it you who wants to change her? Now we are getting into phobias - a special brand of "irrational" fear.  If she wants to change then there are many options. If not then you have to live with it, she has made her choice. 
    Posted by plasko[/QUOTE]

No plasko, it's all on her and no she won't change - her fear/phobia has a very strong hold on her lifestyle and has for a good 60+ years.  On a rare occasion she will make an exception - she flew to Europe with us for my brothers wedding and taken other trips to visit her grandchildren but, all under duress.  If given the choice she would prefer you travel to her versus travelling to you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fear... : Biblical root of god IS man-made religion, no? Didn't men write the bible?  
    Posted by plasko[/QUOTE]

People who believe the Bible believe it was supernaturally given to the writers by God, that they did not make it up, but transcribed what God inspired them to write.

So, the Bible is the Bible.  Religion, on the other hand, is the extra-biblical traditions and beliefs that are decided upon by church leaders.

Religion as I've described has no bearing on my original answer; I believe God transcends time and space and is why (in the Bible) he refers to himself as the great I Am.

Now, I understand that you think God himself is a made up story so this holds no personal water for you, plasko, but fwiw to you and the others in the discussion, there it is:  If your faith is in the great I Am you don't have to fear the future.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

What ARE you smoking?

Fear is primal. We are afraid of the dark, or heights, or wild animals b/c these things can or could kills us.  Fear of these things, or things in these categories, is normal, natural and a way to perpetuate the species.

Reticence or reluctance to take chances or live life fully is usually due to laziness, a lack of self confidence or a combination of the two.  Also, sometimes people are so consumed by basic survival needs [ie, I need to work 3 jobs so that I can keep a roof over my and my children's heads and food in our bellies] that they simply don't have time to 'fully experience life' b/c they are doing all they can merely to survive.  So, there are many things that can account for ennui or a failure to live a full life.  Also, you may not think someone is living a full life when they feel completely content and happy - thus feeling fulfilled.  Just b/c someone does not want to jump out of an airplane or go bungee jumping or swim w/ sharks does not mean that they are not living a happy and fulfilled life.

FWIW, I am terrified of heights. I can't even do a spiral staircase.  I get dizzy and have vertigo; so is it all in my head? It started after I fell off a barn roof.  I think it's a survival skill. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF, have you seen the reality show "Doomsday Preppers?"  It's the epitome of your point about being so consumed by preparing for something that probably won't even happen that your life goes by with no living in the moment having happened at all.  They give the stats of whatever particular doomsday fear that person has after each segment.  I've yet to hear anything but, "While blah, blah, blah might be true, the experts believe this is very unlikely."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fear... : People who believe the Bible believe it was supernaturally given to the writers by God, that they did not make it up, but transcribed what God inspired them to write. So, the Bible is the Bible.  Religion, on the other hand, is the extra -biblical traditions and beliefs that are decided upon by church leaders. Religion as I've described has no bearing on my original answer; I believe God transcends time and space and is why (in the Bible) he refers to himself as the great I Am. Now, I understand that you think God himself is a made up story so this holds no personal water for you, plasko, but fwiw to you and the others in the discussion, there it is:  If your faith is in the great I Am you don't have to fear the future.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Ok then, lets take the bible at face value. Now does the bible specifically reference the big G as being outside of Time and Space? Or was that "interpreted" by "religion", based on some curious verbose phrase?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, it is in the Bible that God is outside of time and space.  That's what the quote means, actually, "I am the I Am."  There's more, but I just don't have time today to get specfic references.  I'm online, actually, just to pay bills and checked in for a second.  I'll have more time to play tomorrow.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

By interpreting the quote, are you not doing what you accuse the "man-made religions" of doing?
    To me it is just gibberish, that I would interpret as him saying "Hey, nobody's perfect, not even me" (and I can imagine him raising his hands and shrugging at that point). There is no actual reference to being outside of the concept of space-time, or any other dimensions. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you accept that the Bible itself is God-breathed and everything else is man-made tradition, God saying, "I am the I AM," would be entirely different than anything extra-biblical (man-made, man-decided, "religious.").  What I'm saying is that while some religions are based on the Bible, the institutions themselves are not infallible.  The Bible itself is (from my perspective).  But, if to you it's all completely gibberish, we don't really have a basis for discussion, with all due respect.  My answer to the question posed by RT stands.  If God is the I Am, and your faith is in Him, you have no reason to fear tomorrow from an eternal perspective.

That's not the same as a fear of heights or any other phobia or what we can all agree (I think) is a healthy fear of walking out into a busy street blindfolded without a walk light.  It's just that my first thought regarding how to answer the OP was a fear of our own mortaliy (not of doing something risky that may cause our death).

OK, back to the grindstone.  I've got to go out in the freezing drizzle thereby risking my life I suppose...haven't heard a sander go by.  Here I go.

Sections
Shortcuts