Fear...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Fear...

Find it interesting.......Which would you prefer? to be wanted or needed in a relationship? = an "ambiguous" question....

Yet this post, "Fear" is deemed "non-ambiguous". Yet in response to this post a "God" is referenced in support of the answer....

The post makes NO MENTION of a God, which means YOU interpreted the viewpoint of the thread based on YOUR religious beliefs and INFERRED a God was needed to justify your thought on the topic.....Wink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What can I say, I wish for non-ambiguity so as to keep the discussion apples to apples, but clearly I'm not going to get it.  Might as well play, anyway. ;)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

In Response to Re: Fear...:
    [QUOTE]If you accept that the Bible itself is God-breathed and everything else is man-made tradition, God saying, "I am the I AM," would be entirely different than anything extra-biblical (man-made, man-decided, "religious.").  What I'm saying is that while some religions are based on the Bible, the institutions themselves are not infallible.  The Bible itself is (from my perspective).  But, if to you it's all completely gibberish, we don't really have a basis for discussion, with all due respect.  My answer to the question posed by RT stands.  If God is the I Am, and your faith is in Him, you have no reason to fear tomorrow from an eternal perspective. That's not the same as a fear of heights or any other phobia or what we can all agree (I think) is a healthy fear of walking out into a busy street blindfolded without a walk light.  It's just that my first thought regarding how to answer the OP was a fear of our own mortaliy (not of doing something risky that may cause our death). OK, back to the grindstone.  I've got to go out in the freezing drizzle thereby risking my life I suppose...haven't heard a sander go by.  Here I go.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

When I said it was gibberish, I was referring to that one quote. 
    "I am the I am" literally means "I am me", which is bizarre at best. But it definitely does not refer to dimensions beyond what we can sense. What it does refer to is self-awareness, something interesting from an animal point of view eg psychology tests of monkeys or dogs. From a god, being self-aware should really be a given. Hence it is gibberish. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, I understand.  That quote, if you'll trust me and my lifetime of biblical study, has the biblical context of meaning what I said it means.  It would take me quite awhile to prove it with all the related texts, but I could.

ETA:  If you're lurking in CC, you know I'm pushing to get a project done this weekend, but another biblical reference to God being outside of time and space is his assertion of being "the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end."  It's in Revelation somewhere.  Obviously, if time is infinite and he's the beginning and the end, he supernaturally contains infinity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

On the flipside, the creation story put the universe created in 6 days. ie within the confines of time itself. Why would a being who lives outside time do that when it could all be created at once?
    Indeed, a being who lives outside time should never be surprised, as everything has already happened/is happening/will happen. Yet the old testament god was constantly surprised, and annoyed, by many people including Adam and Eve and the Sodomites, to name just a couple. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's hard to respond because it seems you have a light knowledge of the Bible as a whole; a pop culture/History channel based knowledge.  Without getting deep into biblical apologetics, God was not surprised by anything.  God is not temporal, but he created temporal beings, hence the time references.  Psalms 90:4 covers it pretty well, "For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by."  Yes, it's still a temporal reference, but, again, we are temporal beings and understand metaphore.  God being outside of time is the point, not the literal interpretation of day equalling a thousand years, which it doesn't mean.  (I would hope that would be obvious.)  God's plan for salvation was in place before the fall in the Garden of Eden as written in 1 Peter 1:20, "[Jesus] was chosen before the creation of the world..."

ETA:  Even the phrase "all at once" is temporal in nature.  We just can't escape it as temporal beings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

I have often wondered that, were there a god, humans right now would just be an intermediate step in evolution, with the desired outcome something else far far down the line of time. Kind of like growing your own butterfly colony, with ourselves as the humble caterpillars right now. God, being outside of time, would then only care about the final outcome of his plan (the butterflies), and make the relevant adjustments to the insectorium to get to that stage (such as adding in a Jesus or Mohammed when required to keep the plan on track). 
    My point is that, even if god were to exist, it does not mean that we are anything but humble caterpillars and are at best not quite ready yet. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm a work in progress to be sure.  

I enjoy our discussions, Plasko.  Your belief that my faith is indefensibly ridiculous never translates into your being disrespectful or demeaning, and I appreciate that.  Hopefully, my respect of your thoughts on the subject is as apparent.