February 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: February 2012

Haha, Kar. I am lucky in the foods I am craving are healthy. I can't get enough of red peppers, avocados, green grapes, and I had a big craving for TJ's double roasted salsa. It is so good with their soy and flaxseed chips. I also like TJ's juices. I find that it is a great little food store that is not too expensive. I won't shop at Whole Foods. I can't ever leaving there without spending at least $60-$100.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Love the latest pic of Yoda, Winter.  He's so inquisitive.  He looks like he was seeing a reflection of the computer in your glasses - if you wear glasses.  Probably trying to figure out what it was.

Cookies made and pkged along with some choc chip, valentine made and already given to her father (she's like me, has a hard time waiting to give a gift), and because I just grabbed a little salad at lunch, I just ate my ribs, sauerkraut, and a little macaroni salad.  Came in here and sat down and heard Cheerio jump down from what I knew was the sink - I hadn't rinsed out my plate yet, and sure enough, she had lapped all the barbecue sauce off of it - can you believe it?  It's so spicey.  She'll be one thirsty and I hope not sick, cat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh no.  I hope Cheerio doesn't get sick.  Your cookies sound good.  Did she like the lie you got her?  We made clam dip yesterday and we put some of the juices from the can in with her wet food.  He ate the juices and left the food. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, so good you are craving the good stuff - I've never heard of that!  Your baby is going to be a health nut!  LOL. :)

Oh, no, tt - I hope she doesn't get sick!!  I put garbage (meat) in the freezer until trash day and forget about it.  A couple of weeks ago I cleaned it all out and put it in the garage to take to the dump and forgot about it there, too.  Gracie got into it a few days later after it had thawed comepletely and ate POUNDS and POUNDS of rotten meat and two whole chicken carcases, every single bone.  Unbelievably, she was no worse for wear.  I'm sure Cheerio will be OK with her few little licks, but I'm surprised she liked anything so hot!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

No problems getting in yesterday, and today at work I am still logged in from Friday.   hope it lasts. 
    Winter---Yoda reminds me of my cat Abby- we had her for 22 years. Abby was dark grey as a kitten but got a little lighter as she got older.(don't we all!)  Also, she developed faint stripes, too.   Her mother also lived to her early 20s.
    Superbowl party was good- it was a late night. Lots of good leftovers, but not a  healthy thing in the bunch! Craving a good cold crunchy salad.
    The only thing missing was you, TT--I waited, and waited.....but did you come? NO!!!!  Cheerio woud have liked the buffalo wings, or at least the sauce,  since she likes spicy things! 

As for the sanitizing- funny, my neighbor friend and I were talking about that the other night. Yes- kids need germs to build the up the immunity.
    I dont do too much of the hand sanitizing- just careful to wash my hands when I come home from anywhere, and after handling raw meat.
    And the kids sleeping on their backs now--I just saw an old co-worker who lives overseas has a 1 yr old child now- and that was the first thing I noticed in the picture-- poor baby has a flat head!  So now helmets for them?  So pathetic--just put them on their tummies or side ! End of problem!

My mom came over for the game--she got the last of her staples out Thursday,after her emerg hernia surgery,  and is moving fine now. 
    She just can't drive yet.  
    Gotta get back to work.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, what a story about Gracie and her garbage treats!  You must have been worried, expecially with the meat items.  What can't go down my disposal, I put in a bag in the freezer until trash day too.  I was going to rinse off the dish, but came in here instead.  She seems fine, not even going for the water.  Iron clad stomach I guess.

The cookie dough rolled out perfectly this time, nicer than it has many previous times.  I think I added more flour.  We got a zillion hearts out of it and what wouldn't fit in the dish with the choc chip and plain sugar, I put in a container to freeze.  She had some innovative colored sugar sprinkle combos, but as always when her dad comes, he leaves the car running in the driveway, and it's hurry up out the door, so no time for a picture.  Had planned to ask him if he wanted a few ribs to take home, but never got the chance.  He grabbed a couple of cookies to eat on the way.

Did it get as warm as they predicted today?  Never even stuck my nose out the door.  Hope it holds over until tomorrow, because I'll be out some of the day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm not good with directions, Tulips, and knew I was lost halfway there, so turned around and headed back home.  Sorry I missed all the unhealthy goodies - sounds like my kind of party!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We both wore our leis, Winter, but they were itchy, so she took hers home to hang on her bedpost.  She loves when I tell stories of things, like when I went to Hawaii and because I had "stolen" some black sand from the black sand beach, I pulled a couple of my hairs out and dropped them in the volcano to appease the gods. Bought a book at the top of the volcano, and it said if you were foolish enough to take a rock or any piece of the island, you had better drop something of yours, such as a lock of hair into the volcano in replacement.  She listens so intently, I can picture her going into school tomorrow and telling the teacher.  I showed her the black sand and she wanted to know what I had put it in when I sneaked it up off the beach.  Actually, I had an empty film cartridge that I scooped it up in, and now keep it in a little dish on the desk shelf.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

What a wonderful Hawaii story tt.  It seems like I went soo long ago.  Hasn't even been a year yet.  I can picture you both in the leis, and the colored sprinkle cookies. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, I was a wreck.  She totally chowed down for a LONG time unnoticed.  Suddenly, I had that feeling, "Gosh, I haven't seen Gracie in awhile," and went looking.  Gasped in horror when I found her surrounded by empty containers that had held all the rotten stuff and BONES that were GONE.

It didn't feel THAT warm to me today, tt, kind of raw.  But, warmer than it could be at this time of year so I'll take it.  I didn't walk, just played with a fetch toy in the back yard.  Walked enough yesterday for 2 days!  Loved your sand story.

Tulips, glad to hear your mom is recovering nicely.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

DH had to leave at 6:30 this morning so here I am with my cuppa ready to start the day.  We had a rough night, though, neither of us could fall asleep, and then Gracie had to get up at 2:30.  I wonder if my feeding her at 4:30 instead of 3:30 is messing up her timing.  I didn't think so because she goes on our walks, but maybe.  If I feed her at 3:30, though, I can't walk her right away for fear of bloat.  It's always something!

Speaking of that, ambergirl, how's Amber doing?  Drinking less now that she's adjusted?  Sometimes it takes about a month to get used to that class of drugs and go back to normal.

DH is visiting his folks with his sister and one brother in Florida from Thursday - Sunday.  His dad had surgery awhile ago and is recovering nicely, but they want to see for themselves...he's a Type A stoic type so you never really know.  I'll be holding down the fort here with Gracie.  We didn't want to kennel her or run the heat.  And, I have no desire to go, anyway, given that my injurious BIL will be there and it's far too close quarters.  I'll be anticipating the horror stories and relieved I'm 1800 miles away.

Oh, you know what Gracie's problem was?  I didn't walk her yesterday.  My hip problem can't take it every single day...what can ya do.

Last night I made Paula Deen's beer batter (she used it with cod) on chicken breasts I turned into strips.  It was much like Chinese chicken fingers - came out great, and I used 100% spelt for DH - you'd never guess except the color was different than white flour.  Used the Alpine Spring Sam Adams, too; it added a lovely subtle malty flavor.  I wanted to eat them all, but saved 3 for today's lunch in favor of overdoing it.

Have to go to the dump and the bank today, and will take Gracie to both.  She's well known in town, everyone fawns over her, and she loves the attention.  And, what's for dinner?  I've been on a "something different" kick lately - so tired of the same old things.  Had tacos last week - I have to recommend TJ's taco seasoning.  Read the back first, though, it requires more additions than just meat including a can of crushed tomatoes.  Then the beer battered chicken.  The bundles were good, and we don't have those often.  So...????

Have a great day, folks!

~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Good news about Handsome Harry - he does belong to someone.  He's sporting a new red collar, with a little bell. My neighbor down the street called me last night to say when he appeared at her house a few minutes before, he was wearing it.  So, someone must be looking after him, of sorts.  We still don't understand why they leave him out all the time to the danger of coyotes and this busy street, but it explains better why he's not eating so much from our thoughtfully bought tasty meals.  Another example of my never being able to bring him in anyway, Cheerio stood up at the glass back door, and Harry promptly hissed loud and long at her.   Poor, gentle Cheerio.

Filled the feeder while I was out there - both for the birds, and for his entertainment.  Feels warmer out to me.  Glad, because this is an errand day.

Amber, hope you snagged a pic of Amber with her birthday bow.

Wanted to stay up to see Angelica Houston in "Smash" at 10:00 last night, but barely made it to 9:00.  Did anyone see it?  It's a new series, I think a copy of the times of Marilyn Monroe's days.

Stuff to get done before I head out.  Have a good day everyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

He's got real owners, and they leave him out all night?  They must be peas in a pod with our neighbors and their poor dog who's barely taken care of, but not exactly abused.  Well, now you know, and you won't have to worry when he doesn't eat.

I didn't catch Smash, but I think it looks good from the ads, and I figured it was based on Marilyn.  They sure did make her look like her, I thought.  I'd have to DVR any show that starts at 10; we are in bed by 9:45, usually missing the end of whatever we're watching but recording it to finish the next day...and forgetting, lol.

Have a great day; it's supposed to be 40 - 45 in most areas in MA today.  Woo hoo!  Best Winter EVER!!!

ETA:  By the way, I haven't been so good about checking in (where is that accountability?), but I've lost 4.8 of 10 lbs so far with 3 weeks left 'til my goal date of Feb 29.  I'll have to double my rate of success since it took me 6 weeks to lose 5 lbs.   Not too shabby, I guess, but at this rate, I'll only have lost 7.5 lbs by my goal date, and I'd not be pleased.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You've lost weight, that's the important part, Kargiver, not the number.

Sounds as tho you should cut down on the mileage you and Gracie walk. Exercise is important, but when you already have an existing problem, you don't want to cause more pain and damage.  

Coffee is on, so will treat myself to a couple of those cookies that haven't quite made it into the freezer yet.  Cheero seems none the worse for wear after her barbecue sauce last night.  

You'll have 4 days of single girl time, you and Gracie, but I'm sure it will be a toss up as to who misses DD the most!  We'll all be here for chatting, anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

Another beautiful day.  Just loving these seasonal and unseasonal temps.  Good for you Kar on the weight loss.  I have been trying to be good since January myself but it is hard.  Happy to hear HH has an owner, but I agree tt, why do they  leave him out all day??  Amazing nothing has happened to him and I pray nothing does.  Amber is doing really good.  I actually like her appetite up as she was always picky before.  Sometimes would eat and sometimes not.  Now she eats regular every night. She is due for her yearly check up next month and grateful I have not had to bring her back for any med adjustments.  I meant to tell you guys when I brougth Amber home, the boys sniffed and sniffed her. I'm sure they didn't know what all those hospital smells were.  And hoping they missed her : )  Have a great day everyone whatever your plans are.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad to hear the good report on Amber, and that the meds are doing their job.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning.  TT, glad HH has an owner, but not sure why they leave him out all the time. As for Smash.  We caught a preview of the episode on Netflix last week. It's sort of like glee.  It's a story of two girls auditioning for the lead in a new musical called Marilyn. It seems ok, but not good enough for me to watch in place of Hawaii 5-0 so I'll be recording it with the DVR.
    Good job on the weight loss Kar.  Amber, glad Amber is doing well. Have a good day everyone. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, everyone!  I was feeling down for losing at 1/2 the rate I had hoped, but you are RIGHT - it's a success!  Love you ladies. :)

Great news about Amber!  Sounds like she'll be all set for a long time, now.  What a relief to have that behind you.  Thank goodness for effective meds.

tt, good advice to not push the walking.  I can't do more damage, per se, but I can cause pain.  The bones in my legs are bent so they don't fit into the knee and hip joints properly.  And, if I cause pain, I'll let up too much.  Actually, that's why I have an elliptical trainer; it doesn't hurt me at all whereas walking does.  BUT, it's down in the very cold, uninviting basement so it ain't gonna happen until DH finishes the work down there and I have heat and a TV!

I'm glad I'll have you guys to keep me company while DH is gone.  I think it's harder on Gracie; she cries every night from 6 - 8 at the window when he's away not understanding why his headlights aren't coming down the driveway.  So sad!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good grief, Charlie Brown!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

What's wrong tt? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Is everything all right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think she might have been responding to Gracie crying herself to sleep every night when DH is away...not sure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Congrats on your weight los, Kar. Don't beat up yourself. Those last 10 lbs. are always the hardest to loose. And you are half way there. Good job! As for your walk, maybe you could do it in 15 minutes inclements. That's what my doc suggested. He also told me, it is not the mileage that counts. It is the amount of time, you get your body moving.
    Glad to hear Amber is doing well again and have adjusted well to her meds.
    So now we all know, that Harry indeed has a home. Amazing, they leave that pretty cat out all hours. My sister's two cats were outdoor cats. They would be roaming around evenings and night, but get back in early in the morning and sleep all day. Never the less, they were very well taken care of and loved to pieces.
    I enjoyed you girls conversation in regard to the floor steamer. I must be a real odd ball, because I love my mop and bucket. I have a rather large kitchen floor with whitish tiles, and my son who has one of those "wonder machines" for his floor kept telling me every time he saw me bringing out my mop and bucket, that I should really get one of those. When visiting him this Christmas, I saw it in action. What a production! I could have done his floor with my mop and bucket in 1/3 or less time, than he used. And then after he was all done, it took him forever to clean out the darn thing. I sweep my floor daily and mop it once a week with Clorox. I have a bucket similar to this: http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091131 and use a Libman Wonder Mop (even though I never use the wringer sleeve on the mop) with it. My hands never get wet, and my floor is always clean.
    It is supposed to be nice today, but it does look a bit dark round here. Maybe the sun will come out later. I have to go to work anyway - but it would be nice with a strife of sun during lunch time.
    You all enjoy the day - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That was my original contention - the steamer mop isn't much quicker than the mop and bucket.  I, too, used a Libman, and still do to apply the shine coat.

I don't mind the mileage; the bones are as bent as they're gonna get so there's no harm to be done.

We do need some sun!  (Look up "strife," though.)

Off I go to the dump, bank, and a couple of other errands in town with Gracie.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oops! That is certainly NOT what I meant. Let's hope for a ray of sun instead.
    Thanks friend! - Pingo