February 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: February 2012

Didn't think you were on the boards this afternoon.  Now that I've thought of the name, I can stop talking about them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh I liked Suzy Q's.  I made chop suey for the Superbowl.  I also made a pot of sauce/gravy and meatballs.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm around, but actually not feeling that well; wondering if I'm getting that bug that's going around that mm had.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I hope your not getting sick Kar : (  Lots of things going around.  Stomach bugs and colds in my office.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks...defnitely a stomach issue.  I've been in bed most of the afternoon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry you're not feeling well, Kargiver.  More gingerale and saltine time.  There are so many people I know who are feeling under the weather.  As you said, it's probably one of these bugs going around.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Never would have remembered Suzy Q's. I will bring you over some, TT.

Kar--Hope you feel better.

American Chop Suey--totally different from real Italian- Hence-the name "American" .Wonder where the "chop suey " part came from?
    Ran into a great deal at Shaws- they had a few Carando spiral hams for $10.00.
    I think I usually pay around $35.00 for them. Funny- I always loved ham, and only had it about once a year, since DH was not a big fan. Now, since he got sick, for some reason he loves it, so we have it frequently. And he loves me to make home made mac and cheese and put it in. He can eat that for days at a time. 
    Bored at work- plenty to do, just think I need a vacation. Can't wait to get home and work the puzzle.  Just remembered -a George Clooney interview tonight on TV at 8:00 tonight. Might be a new show- I think ch. 4 .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mmmmm, the Carrando hams are the best.  I usually buy a half, in fact I have some slices frozen from the one I bought for me (everyone else wanted the turkey) at Christmas.  Love it when you hit a bargain like you did with the ham.

I'm trying to pare down for a month, got a Visa bill way over what I thought I had spent at Christmas, but it's correct.  My checking account is rather depleted right now, so staying out of the stores for a month or so.  It's all these insurances, house, taxes, excise, that come at once too.  I had a nice little back drop amount but used that when I had the cellar emptied out.  I go hog wild in the grocery stores because I pay by check and don't really have to keep track while I'm there of what I'm spending.  Tomorrow I'll just go in for a few items necessary for Saturday's lunch.  Already I'm scratching off things.  There's plenty of food in the house.

Glad you're enjoying the puzzle, Tulips.  I did a few pieces on mine today watching the Y&R.  Sometimes you just look in the box and there's the piece you're looking for right on top.  Lilly Bug has done the kids puzzles I have a dozen times, so may pop in Job Lots and see what they have to offer in the way of a cat or dog - puzzle, that is.  Have to add some candy to the list so I can make up 3 bags for those kids too, since they'll be here before Valentine's Day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies.  Called DH and he's stopping at the store on the way home - not much longer.  I have a hidden stash of ginger ale (so it doesn't disappear) that I got into.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, hope you are feeling better.  I love Carando sprial ham, but DH doesn't like ham so I haven't had it in a loooong time.  TT, I don't like when all the taxes and insurance bills come either. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Winter.  I'm bummed that my DH doesn't like ham, either.  I bet I'd like the spiral ham you're talking about...well, on another day of course. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Kar- you can come over- when you feel better- and have some ham.
    You too, Winter! 
    TT- hate when the bills come at once like that. We are in a tough spot with DH on disability, so I really watch what I spend these days . It is pretty amazing the things you find you really don't need, or can use something different. 
     My sister used to say she wanted to be like me- just buy whatever her heart desired. No more- those days are gone! No big deal---but I wonder where all those things are, that I just had to have ! And all the money we spent going out--now we seldom do, and it does not bother me. I used to think it was the end of the world if we were home on a Saturday night.  How things can change in an instant. blah blah....leaving work now!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I understand what you're saying, Tulips.  I lived on such a tight budget for so many years with never an extra penny to spend, that once the boys were grown and in their own homes, I really for the first time had the freedom to pick up a little something if I saw it (always still in a discount store), and certainly to go grocery shopping without having to pre-total what it all would come to.  I'm not a clothes horse, not a fancy home decorator, but I do let loose when it comes to food, and I will always make a lot of each holiday, in a special way, even if it's just my sprinkle sugar cookies, in a clear plastic bag, tied with grosgrain ribbon bought on sale.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Cat Breading

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

I can tell you make a big deal out of the holidays, TT. And you seem to make everything special. Especially with the grandkids, and your baking. That is special- memories they will have forever. My favorite stores now are Job Lot and TJMaxx.  DD  gave me a large gift card for the SS Plaza for Christmas. I can't stand going there, anymore,really. Drove down after the first of the year, and drove out again- place was mobbed.Couln't find a parking spot after a few rows, so I just left!
    RT--funny pic!
    OK--dinner was salad and stir fry chicken with some creole seasoning on it-yummy. Now to my puzzle--so addictive!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar, hang in there :( I think we have the same thing....came on this morning. There is something going around for sure.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, everyone, for your well wishes.  I feel better this morning, but still kind of queasy.  Just got DH off to work so will think about what's for breakfast...nothing is striking my fancy at the moment, not even my usually thoroughly enjoyed cuppa.  But, I suppose I should have something...

Tulips, thanks for the ham offer, I'll keep it in mind. ;)

It is stunning how much money flies out of here every month.  We just paid our Quarterly property taxes, our electrician charged over $1000 for the last of his work...it never ends.

Gracie got us up last night because she didnt' get her exercise yesterday.  So, no matter how I feel, she's getting a nice long walk today!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Is it today that DH leaves for Fla, Kargiver?  Hope he doesn't come down with it too.

I was thinking of one of the posts, maybe it was on the pets thread, about cats chewing on cellophane - Cheerio was trying to chew on the corner of the bag where I have the valentine candy stored, and then last night when I checked the toyroom, she had chewed on the corner of the cellophane covering of my furnace filters!  I have bunched up and tied with a piece of string, cellophane to toss for her to fetch and use as a toy, but she seems to want the single layer stuff.  It's getting so I'm rethinking where I lay down anything in a bag.

Princess, hope you're settling in to the work routine, and that your boss has mellowed a bit.  My GD with the new baby is now having problems at work where they had begged her to come back after maternity leave, saying flexibility in hours would be no problem - now all of a sudden, changing her starting and ending times - is a problem, making for tense working conditions; they bought a house at the time the baby was born; and to top it off, her husband just got laid off.  A lot for a 24 yr. old to handle.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the offer of the spiral ham.  Sorry Kar and Liz that you aren't feeling well.  Hope you both feel better soon.  TT, I know exactly what you're talking about as I was a single mom 6 years and it's nice now to have a little extra.  So our anniversary is Sunday and we are going somewhere for dinner on Saturday night.  I don't know where, but a place neither of us has been.  :) Can't wait.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

TT, that's too bad that they are not letting her do what she asked to do.  My hours never changed but my than husband changed his to work 2:30-10, so my mom watched DS from 1:30 - 5:30 or 6.  We paid her too, more than she would of had at her part time job. She didn't want to take it, but I insisted.  She worked full-time in the mornings until about 1:00. Once my son was 2.9 years we put him in pre school during those hours. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm feeling better today - I'm wondering if I've been cutting too many calories and let my blood sugar get too low, or maybe I was dehydrated.  Yes, DH is traveling tonight, tt.  I hope I'm right and I don't have a bug for him to come down with while he's in FL.

tt, that's too bad about your GD's work bait and switch regarding the flexibility.  She must be afraid to say, "Hey, you said...," because what if they say, "Well, here's the door."  I hope things turn around for them very soon for both of their work situations.

I'm having my cuppa.  Can't think about eating breakfast.  But, what a lovely day out - maybe I'll take Gracie to a store that welcomes dogs around here.

ETA:  Liz, hope you're feeling better soon, too!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, GD is not afraid to speak up - at all.  Her immediate boss feels terrible, higher ups are the ones putting the kibosh on the hours arrangement.  He made promises he now can't keep.  GD realizes this too.  It's becoming obvious that it is not a "mother" friendly organization.  There are none.

So, Winter, it hardly seems possible it was a year ago that we were peeking at pics of your gown!  Boy, has that time gone by fast.  So many nice eating places in and around Boston.  New ones are popping up all the time and get good reviews. One of the girls who usually joins us on our "work gals" lunches is always trying the latest - unfortunately, she's in Fla right now and won't be available to get her suggestions.  You'll have a grand time no matter where you end up eating, I'm sure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, I missed that it was your anniversary?!  I must have posted around the time you did...  Anyway, ENJOY and CONGRATULATIONS!!  I highly recommend Top of the Hub despite the negative reviews.  It's gone through ups and downs over the years so the reviews are tainted by the bad times imo.  I've been during both.  Last Fall SIL and I went, and it was EXCELLENT (and we are both very finicky diners!).  Also, I've heard wonderful things about the rather new Tapas place on Newbury Street, Tapeo.

tt, that's too bad he didn't do his research before he made those promises.  What a difficult situation!  I don't know what she does or if this is a possibility at all, but gov't contractors are VERY family friendly and are pro-flexible work schedules.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Winter I missed it too.  Happy Anniversary!  My favorite restaurants to go to on a special occasion are Abe & Louie's and Atlantic Fish.  I take DD to Abe & Louie's on her birthday. It is now a tradition.  tt, I feel for your GD and her work situation.  Raising DD was not easy in the workplace back then.  Companies didn't care or want to hear if you had a child.  It has gotten better but I think now with the economy, they are less flexible and the attitude is, If you don't like it, someone else will want the job.  I too love having some money to splurge on me occasionally.  Never could before.  Heard on the news this morning that Monday is going to be bitter cold with wind chills below freezing.  Wonderful... that means the trains won't run right.  Will have to make sure I layer and bundle up.  I hope everyone has a good day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sent a little email off to my GD this morning, telling her to hang in there and to be alert to any new doors that open.  That sometimes they don't come in the form you are expecting.  Or, as young GD would say, "Believe".

I was extremely lucky with my first job after my divorce, it was a social service agency and they were extremely accommodating and understanding.  That job came about from the strangest place imagineable, and someone up there was certainly looking out for me.  When I left that position it was into a higher paying one where I stayed for 20 years until retirement.  Not all peaches and cream the last couple of years, but I hung in there because I had to.  I do like to think that what goes around comes around, and that the person who seemed h*ll bent on making my life miserable those last couple of years, will get her comupence - it would only be karma for her to do so.

So, young lady workers, others have gone before you with the same problems, maybe worse in some cases.  Just saying, so you know you can do what you have to do.