February 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: February 2012

Thanks ladies.  Our Anniversary is actually on Sunday.  It won't be Top of the Hub, he said it was a place that neither of us had gone before.  We got engaged a the Top of the Hub.  Our reservations are at 8.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good advice, tt, to keep her eyes and ears open.  Sometimes we get tunnel vision and think we are stuck when we really aren't, especially at that age.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ah, Winter, so he knows where you're eating, but you don't!  Thoughtful for him to provide a nice surprise like that.  I'd say he's a "keeper"!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Love your DH is surprising you Winter.  I agree with tt, he is a keeper!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Aw, that's so sweet!!  What will you wear?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

True story.  I worked for a law firm at the time and my DD was sick.  I called and left a message for my supervisor letting her know that and I wouldn't be in.  When I came back to work, she took me in her office and told me my sick time was for me, not my daughter.  I looked at her and said ok, good to know.  Next time I won't be honest and I will tell you I'm sick and not my daughter.  Are we done?  The look on her face was priceless.  I never again called and said DD was sick, always me.  Bet I made her wonder every time.  She was a jerk anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOVE it, Amber!!  I can relate.  The looks on their faces is priceless - always the same, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber, that's our policy as well.  So if my DS is sick, I call in and say that I am sick.  Yes he is a Keeper. :) He made the reservations.  I have a black dress that I bought for the honeymoon I'll probably wear. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

It is so stupid Winter and just makes us dishonest employees.  I never had that with any other job and was able to say DD was sick and never heard anything.  They got it. I work full time and I have a child. I never abused my sick time, it was always saved for her.  I am sure you are going to look gorgeous!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooh, the little black dress - very sexy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks Kar.  Before this job I could use it for a child.  So what happaned to you happaned to me.  I was told that I had to use a vacation day because I said that my DS was sick.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Just shaking my head... cannot believe that is still going on today.  Makes no sense whatsoever, but then again corporate world rarely does.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Companies have "solved" that problem by taking away everyone's sick time.  It's "Paid Time Off," now in most places, and it covers everything.  It's not good, though, because essentially you have to use vacation if you or your child gets sick more than 4 days a year.  They only add 4 days to your old vacation amount to arrive at the PTO amount because that's the average industry standard amount of sick time people take per year.  If you get sick more often than that, you have to dip into what used to be your vacation.  Totally unfair imo.  For those who don't have kids or who never get sick, it's 4 extra days of vacation.  For those with migraines, asthma, etc., it meant you could never go on vacation, again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

You said it perfectly Kar.  I am looking forward to retirement more and more every day. Foot in mouth

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

In Response to Re: February 2012:
    [QUOTE]True story.  I worked for a law firm at the time and my DD was sick.  I called and left a message for my supervisor letting her know that and I wouldn't be in.  When I came back to work, she took me in her office and told me my sick time was for me, not my daughter.  I looked at her and said ok, good to know.  Next time I won't be honest and I will tell you I'm sick and not my daughter.  Are we done?  The look on her face was priceless.  I never again called and said DD was sick, always me.  Bet I made her wonder every time.  She was a jerk anyway.
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

GOOD FOR YOU, Amber!!!! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I actually get 3 weeks vacation and 12 sick days a year.  They also roll over, which came in handy when I had to take 3 weeks off due to my knee last year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's great, Winter - very unusual today.  Almost unheard of!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Sure is!  I get 17 days total PTO time.  I use to get 4 weeks vacation, 3 personal days and 8 sick days at my last job. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm sure if people starting abusing the sick days they would correct it.  We don't have short term disability, so that could be the reasoning behind it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Good morning everybody.  Just about to go out for lunch and thought I'd jump on.
    I have two young women working at our office who have small children.  It's a given that kids will be sick from time to time and they have to stay home.  It's all about good karma.  They know that it's ok.  Very little pressure from me on that end because I've been there.  If you don't make it stressful for the mother you get more back in productivity down the line.  They both have mothers who live nearby who step in if the child is sick for a long period.  It all works out in the end, and it's worth working it out for a good employee.  Why some of these bosses don't get it is beyond me. Of course, I'm in a bubble in my job, but my friends who have been working for a long time can't wait to get out of the work force.  It used to be companies wanted to keep you and offered good benefits. There were incentives.  That all started changing in the 1990's when the focus switched to cutting to the bone.  These days I know few people who actually feel valued as an employee.   tt, I feel for your GD. She doesn't need added pressure right now.

kar, hope you don't have the bug that's going around.  It comes on fast and furious and stays with you about 48 hours.  It leaves as quickly as it comes. Today is the first day I really have an appetite.

Have a great afternoon all.  Nice sunny day today.

mothermitzi

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

mm, that is exactly how I feel. I cannot wait to retire. I am miserable.  I have no incentives, benefits are terrible and overall feeling they don't care.  Stellar reviews but no bonus and same cost of living raise since I have been here.  I have no incentive to work hard since as I am not rewarded or appreciated when I do.  I was told last year in all those blizzards that I was expected to make it in unless the MBTA wasn't running.  When I explained I lived on a hill and would like the option of a personal day, i was told I could take my time and to be safe. I was and still am appalled.  Again, I will not be honest and call out sick the next time.  Sorry for the soap box, you hit a cord in me. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beautiful, beautiful day out.  Just got back in, munching a salad as we speak.  And for dessert today, ladies, we're having 3 flavored Friendly's ice cream in sugar cones, with choc jimmies on top!  That's little Lilly Bug's favorite, but I don't think she'll mind us sharing in it.

As usual, went overboard in Michael's (tho I did get 40% off), and again in S&S.  No one to blame but myself.  I have no will power once I think of something I want to do.  Ran into my neighbor who I give my coupons too - her cart was full of cases of tonic - I assume for her husband's business.  She had a fistfull of coupons, but I don't remember any I passed along as being for tonic - not too many of those out there.  I drink very little, tho I did pick up an 8 pack of root beer for Lilly's bro.  He loves that.

Amber, I am so sorry that you are sort of trapped in your present job.  Nothing worse - except, I guess having no job at all.  As for my GD, her father said today she is not really worried about finding another job - she has her Master's and has been received well at interviews.  Just a headache she did not need at this time with their first child - should be a gloriously happy time.  But, as my little GD said, "Believe" - in a few days I will email that story to her.  She will get a chuckle out of "out of the mouths of babes  - - - -"

ETA:  Excuse me now while I go get my ice cream cone - with jimmies.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Sounds like you had a good day tt.  I love ice cream in sugar cones with jimmies, so I will be there with bells on!  I did good today too on my lunch hour. I needed stuff at CVS and i had a 20% off coupon they emailed me. On top of that, I needed a Lint roller and they had the GM kind, buy 1 get one free.  Don't you just love that.  So I will keep one at work and one at home.  With the cats I am always using the lint roller.  That is good about your GD tt.  Much easier when you are younger.  I was telling myself for a couple of years I should be happy i have a job, but that is getting old in this, the third year.  But it is what it is.  Didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer : ) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're not a Debbie Downer, Amber.  Don't ever think that.  I can empathize all too well with how you're feeling.  Those last 2 years of work for me were terrible.  I didn't know how I would do it, and I had noone at home to talk to about it, I certainly didn't want to bother my sons - they were starting out on their own lives, and besides, sons aren't so good as listening as daughters are.  I didn't want to be a whiner, so didn't say anything to my 3 girlfriends who had already retired from there, so foolish me, I handled it all myself.  Until that magical year when I turned 65 - my birthday was on a Wednesday, and I was out of there (paperwork done ahead of time of course) on that Friday.  How's that for planning?!

Something may magically turn up for you, sometimes in casual conversation someone mentions another person who is looking for help.  You may not think it is your field at the time, but lo and behold, an interview later, you may have a new job.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

You are so nice tt...  and I am like you, I don't really talk about my job to DD.  I feel guilty because everyone tells me I should be grateful.  But it is really hard. I have been looking and networking, but nothing yet. I'm not giving up as I did have a job I loved so I think that is part of the problem. I love how you were out of there in 2 days.  That will very much be me : )  Thank you for the pep talk, much needed and very much appreciated..