February 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: February 2012

Good morning,

Kar can't wait to see the finished product.  I missed your posting tt about Chronicle, would love to have seen that.  Beautiful day today, hard to believe snow tomorrow and bitter cold by Monday.  I have a friend who is suppose to come to dinner tomorrow.  I really hope we don't get a lot of snow.  I live on a hill and don't want her driving down it in bad weather.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  Winter I hope it isn't bad for your big night either.  Can't wait to read the details of your dinner : )  Pingo we are looking for you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    I missed you all yesterday, but I had a crazy day. Starting w/ a dentist appointment in the morning, then my treatment and back to the office to type up 2 new contracts. I got home late, then made dinner. For comfort I made my noodle casserole. After dinner I collapsed.
    So glad to hear all you sick ladies are on the mend. I bought ginger ale and I have crackers - just to be prepared. There is a lot going around.
    tt, I really sympathise w/ your GD. Lots to have to deal with for a new mother. And her work problems are compounded by the fact, that her husband got laid off and they just bought a home. But those problems are really not the problem of her employer. I feel, the real problem here is, that her immediate supervisor didn't do his research, before he promised her that flexible hours were ok. Or were there a misunderstanding? Did she hear, what she wanted to hear and not what he said?
    But please understand, not all employers are that way. I try to go out of my way, to accommodate employees that have problems. One employee's wife was dying of cancer. At the end (3 months or so) he did take a lot of time off to be with her. I would still give him his full paycheck. In my heart, I would never be able to tell him, "Sorry, you can't see your wife - come to work." Another employee had back surgery. He was out for 2 months. He did use his allocated sick and vacation time, but for the rest, we paid him full time. These employees had been with us for years. How can you not thank them for their services?
    However, we do have employees, who abuse the system. And those employees are the ones that ruin it for the rest of us. You know, who they are right away, when they always call in sick before or after a long weekend.
    Sorry for venting. But I felt like I had to speak up for the many employers, who try to accommodate their employees.
    Another nice day before the storm hit us. Have to do as many errands as I can today. Hope you all will have a great day - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I think i speak for everyone when I say we all know you are a great employer by your previous posts Pingo.  Sadly not all are like you..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Nice to be missed. Just had a crazy day. I just posted - all is well here. - Pingo

In Response to Re: February 2012:
    [QUOTE]Didn't see Pingo at all yesterday - and so far not this morning - everything alright, Pingo?
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ran out to get the stamps and after a call with GD's father, picked up fixings for whoopie pies.  Called to see if they would be home Sunday for me to drop off the kids' valentines boxes, and got an invitation to dinner.  That will be nice.  Whoopie pies will be my contribution to dessert.

Pingo, I'm sure you are a fair employer, and I do think GD's immediate supervisor is too.  She did her internship there and several departments begged her to accept a position within the company once she graduated.  They knew her plans to have a baby immediately because of a medical condition, so that was not a surprise, and discussions all ended with, we want you, we will work with you.  She's not slagging off, taking time off or going into work late, just wanted to change her coming in and leaving hours to accommodate her husband being able to get to his 3:00 shift.  That, of course, is a moot point now, but nevertheless, everyone involved was sincere in the initial discussions. These things happen in large companies, and as I told her father, I'm sure there is a better position waiting out there for her.

Have to check out my looks before I head out to meet the girls for lunch.  Expect to be on the boards later this afternoon, but in case I miss any of you, have a wonderful week-end - including our snowy Saturday.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, you ladies have all been very quiet.  I expected to get back and have some newsy posts to read -

Delicious lunch of salmon on a bed of spinach with a wine sauce over, along with rice, and of course, since these are my drinking lunch friends - a glass of chardonnay.

Starting the whoopie pies now for Sunday.  Expect to see some postings, ladies, when I next check in!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Very quiet indeed tt on here today.  I reheated pizza for lunch from last night.  It was good. I like your lunch better though : )  Can't wait for 5:00.  Long day and long week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Would you believe I didn't have enough cocoa and had to run back out just for that?  Second tray is in the oven now.  

What are you plans for the week-end, Amber?  We know Winter has a big night planned tomorrow - wonder where they're going -

Danversport was hopping today.  It's so beautiful there, right on the water, and by the time we left, every  table/booth was filled.  I told the girls about the Iron Chef and the 3 things he had said never to buy when you go to a restaurant ("specials", veal for $9.99, and all you can eat) - and we laughed, because as we ran down the menu - Veal Cacciatori $10.99.  One of my friends who has to cook for fam tonight just got a club sandwich and fries, and my other friend got the squash ravioli with grilled chicken breast.  We all enjoyed our meals.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Beautiful day today.  I'm not missing the lack of snow at all.  Sounds like tomorrow will be manageable and over by evening, just in time for winter's dinner :-)
    I don't need to be anywhere tomorrow and plan to stay in.  I have to take my father to a wake tonight (family friend) and we'll get whatever he needs at the store after that.  We'll be close to Kelly's in Saugus, so maybe a lobster roll and chowder are in my future.  tt, hope your cooking making date goes on as planned.

pingo, you sure are busy.  Did you ever replace your secretary and bookkeeper? Sounds as though you're doing it all.  My boss was in town today.  We had lunch at a nice restaurant over by the Hancock Building called Post 390.  No martini or glass of wine for me.  No desire for alcohol right now, thanks to the bug.  However, food tasted good.  I kept it simple, caesar salad with grilled chicken. He just landed two new accounts in town.  That means we'll have to hire and may need more space. Looks like a busy spring ahead.

Hope everybody has a nice weekend.  Take care.

mothermitzi    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Your lunch sounded so good tt.  And what a beautiful day for it.  I am cleaning and doing laundry tomorrow. I have a girlfriend coming over for dinner and a movie tomorrow late afternoon. Hopefully if the weather isn't too bad. Then just relaxing Sunday.  Dreading Monday's cold weather and the big boss will be down Tuesday through Thursday.  Nothing exciting in the cards for me : )

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kelly's is not all that far from me or Pingo, Mothermitzi - I'm always amazed that living in Boston you come all the way down here.  Seems a distance to go to me.  But, I suppose it's no different than us going in to eat at a Boston restaurant.

As for the stores - BE PREPARED!  When I had to run back out this afternoon, there was barely a spot in S&S.  Everyone was filling their carts up - guess Friday is a usual weekly shopping day anyway.  

Glad to get the whoopie pies baked, I'll store them and fill fresh Sunday morning.  Just a salad for me for supper tonight, maybe a highball.   (Hope reading that doesn't make you queasy, mm!)

Amber, that sounds like a nice day planned Sat.  Snow isn't supposed to amount to much around here, it's more south of Boston - maybe out Tulips way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just put last tray in and counted up - enough for 16 1/2 - it's always around 15 that I get out of the recipe.  You know that last 1/2 is going to be loaded up with the filling and popped right in my mouth Sunday morning!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I am looking forward to tomorrow. I love to entertain and she is a dear friend.  Glad to hear the snow is more South than North where I am.  tt, I would honestly kill to have one of your whoopie pies.  As soon as you mention them anytime, my mouth starts watering!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Too bad we liive so far apart.  I have posted the recipe eons ago tho, so you could make some yourself.  Not hard, just time consuming.  And as we know, they do freeze well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

But, if you freeze them, put a boobytrap in the kitchen in case kargiver raids it in her dreams!

Pingo, how do you do it all?  I hope you don't end up needing those "just in case" crackers and ginger ale.

Winter, I think I misused placket - I was looking for a better definition that I could write and found out it's a slit, but I always thought it was a piece of material that joins stuff.   I was saying that the original Snuggie has a piece of material that goes across the back.  This one won't...not sure how it's going to work.

Ambergirl, have a great time tomorrow with your friend!

Just got back from Crane Beach with Gracie.  Couldn't pass up a 50 degree day given dogs aren't allowed all year 'round.  Gracie had a blast and met lots of new friends.  Here are a couple of photos of our adventures.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beautiful pictures, Kargiver!  Again, I'm amazed you come all this way - that's a long drive coming and going.  Looks like one of her friends is a member of the group that take an early plunge!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hello everyone.  Kar, I have a snuggie and it doesn't have a back at all...though there is enough material to wrap around me.  TT, I'll be over for a whoopie pie and a highball, it's been one of those days.  I have Jury Duty Monday, so I had a lot to dp today.  I'm sure I'll check in some point this weekend, and I'll let you all know where we went and what we had.  TT, what did you have for lunch, I don't think I read that. Nice pictures Kar. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's a long drive, but what a lovely day for it.  And, Gracie is a doll in the car, too, so once in awhile it's worth it.  The woods are lovely, but it's not the ocean; I'm a Maine girl at heart.  That scraggly dog wasn't actually wet, if you can believe it - he's 16 and deaf and blind.  He seemed to like Gracie, though, and was amazingly unafraid.  The dark one on the far right is in his household, and he is deaf.  Their parents are lovely people.  Gracie was the only one in the water!  She jumps in the streams here as long as it's open even if there ice so I think the ocean is warmer than what she's used to!

ETA:  Winter, thanks for the heads up about the Snuggie.  I looked at some pictures online that were misleading, I guess, and that's helpful to know.  Thanks re the photos.  I took a lot. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

There is just a lot of extra material on the snuggie so it does go around the back.  :) 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, then this will be perfect!!  YAY!  I'm so glad we talked about it, thanks for helping me out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

You know kar, looking at the pictures of Crane Beach, it's hard to believe it's February 10!  Looks like you and Gracie had a lovely time. Wonderful photos.

mothermitzi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

You know tt, it doesn't seem that far to me.  By the time I collected my father and we went to the wake, which was out your way, it only took me a half hour to get home.  Well worth it for a good cup of chowder and a lobster roll.  

I'll pose this question to you and pingo; Do you ever go to the Prince Italian restaurant on route 1?  My father has asked me a couple of times to go there, and I'm wondering if it's any good.

mothermitzi    

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It sure didn't feel like February, either!  I wore jeans, sweatshirt, and hat - I was plenty warm especially when I was in the leashed section and Gracie was hauling me full tilt through the loose, deeper sand to get to the water and the freedom of the leash-free zone.  I was actually hot while we were running!

ETA:  mm, it's 2 hours and 10 minutes for me...I wish I were as close as you guys to the coast!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, my neighbor has a Great Dane/Lab mix beautiful black dog named Shadow. He looks like a pony when he runs to me. I give him treats every morning when I go to the bus stop. He has met Amber many times and is so gentle with her. Even though Amber is deaf and blind in one eye, she seems to like him. I LOVE your pictures by way : ) tt, highball and whoopie pie sounds good right now. I can pick Winter up : )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I personally can't wait to hear about Winter's night. Probably won't be back on until Sunday so looking forward. Tomorrow will be busy for me. Cooking a roast chicken for me and my girlfriend. Perfect meal for the weather. Going to watch Bridesmaids. I have been dying to see that movie. DD loved it.