February 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: February 2012

tt, it would be an honor to move in!  But poor Cheerio would be beside herself with the boys following her around all day and what in the world would she make of Amber??  LOL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

As long as the boys "knew their place" and Amber cowtowed to her, everything would be fine!

Really have to go now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks everyone for the kind words about Yoda.  He hides (or takes time for himself sometimes) but he'll come over to us, but we can't pet him yet.  Kar, I did get my work done and was in bed at my usual 11pm.  :) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I am here. Just busy getting a couple of loads of laundry going before I leave for work. And then of course the usual - finding keys, glasses, cell phone for DH so I could get him out the door - LOL
    Amber, where are the snowflakes? Haven't seen any around here. And now it looks like it all went out to sea. Yeah! Glad your throat is better. And now a cold? Sounds like you have to rebuild your immune system. Listen to Kar, she know what she is doing. Did you try her onion syrup? It will soothe your throat.
    Winter, that is awesome photos of Yoda. Glad you added the last one; that's my favorite (how about a new avatar?) He is really handsome and cute. How did you do with your 'homework' - did you get some of it cleared from the desk? I am going in this weekend doing just that. Have huge piles that have to be sorted, filed and bound. I also need to move 2011 to storage, now that we are finished with the end of year. Daily I don't have the time; there are so many other pressing things to do. And when alone in the office, I get lots more done.
    tt, good luck with your taxes. I hope you get a large check back and don't have to pay anything.
    Princess, that is real great that they found your mother for the reunion. Sweet of you to offer to go with her. It should be a fun trip for her to see her old school chums.
    You must be so exited, Kar - to get DH back home. I know how I feel, when DH is expected back. Hopefully there will be no delays or staying over in some airport. No problem for Logan, but there is a lot of bad whether all around other places. Wishing him a safe trip back.
    SS, can't agree with you more. The newer appliances just don't last. Like you I had my old Kenmore washer and dryer for over 20 years. When we moved our tenants used them for another 4 years, and when we sold the house our nephew picked them up. He used them for a while. We bought Kenmore again for our new home, since we had such good luck with them, but we have already replaced both. I think they lasted about 8 years. DH is very handy and fixed them a couple of times, but when it was beyond his expertise, we got an estimate to fix it - and it was too much money for an old machine - just not worth it.
    If I don't get back on the boards later today - you all have a great weekend.
     - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, Pingo!

You make me laugh about DH's "where's my..." - like I said, I can totally relate!  Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I must let you know that the onion syrup won't do a thing, unfortunately, for strep throat.  It only helps break up mucus that's settled in your chest so you can cough it up.  But, if she gets a cold that moves into her chest...well, hopefully, she won't need it!  

Oh, yes, I'm dying for DH to return.  So lonesome.  However, I have enough to keep me busy until then so I'm not counting the minutes, per se, lol.  Thanks for your well wishes for his safe, speedy return.

Winter, glad you weren't up later than usual.  I have to admit, when I brought work home I hardly ever actually did it.  I wanted to, but I was so tired and depressed it just didn't happen.

I'm so behind today having slept in.  I feel like it must be only 9, now, but it's 11!  Just having my cuppa.

We're still getting precipitation of some sort, but glad to hear whatever this is is moving out soon.  Would hate to have DH driving in icy conditions especially SO TIRED.  He's coming from Logan so it's a long drive.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thanks Pingo for your caring about my strep.  But Kar is right, the onion syrup, which I have used before, would do nothing. Plus I couldn't swallow anything for 2 days.  If this cold I feel I am getting becomes full blown, I will def be using the syrup.  Helps a lot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

You turn your attention for one minute someplace else and....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'se home.  Did good on the taxes.

It is cold and raw out.  I'm starving, will make myself a nice big salad and a hot cup of something to have with a slice of lemon loaf.  Then tackle those washes.  They sure pile up fast.

Aren't you glad you rescued Yoda, Winter?  He's turning into such a nice cat.  So what if he has his "own space" requirements?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, such a difference from yesterday, isn't it?  Cold and raw for sure.  I'm not sure if I still see drizzle...I guess the windows need to be cleaned, lol.

I've got washes to do, too...hope the washer does its thing.  Yesterday it stopped and alarmed with 3 minutes left.  Had to unplug it and let it reset itself so the door would unlock. ARGH!  

And, we are out of wood so I have to go to the woodpile.  Not to complain given how spoiled I generally am, but I don't care for that task.  I've been freezing all day, but DH can't come home to a cold house and no wood at 10 tonight.

What's for lunch?  I have no idea.  I am all messed up - had breakfast at 10.

Back to work!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, yes I'm so happy we found him.  :) I don't mind that he wants his personal space, I don't blame him.  One day he may even let us pet him and I can't wait for the day to come.  :) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I really think it will Winter.  My Boo was like that and still is at times.  But I still remember clearly the night he jumped on the couch, which wasn't unusual, but then he sat right next to me.  I looked at him and said hi and he meowed and I slowly started to pet him and he let me.  Wonder I didn't die from holding my breath!  LOL!  If I go to pet him now, he will run, but will let me when he wants it.  Tigger is the complete opposite.  You look at him and he purrs and comes running for affection.  So there is hope : )

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good move making that pic your avatar, Winter.  It's so colorful and shows Yoda's gorgeous face.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Love your new avatar, Winter ;)
    - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ooooh, yes, fabulous photo for the avatar - you can see his gorgeous face so clearly, Winter!  I agree, there's hope in your petting him; he's come so far in such a short time, there's no reason to think he'll stop progressing imo.

Getting so much done!  And, Gracie's boyfriend is entertaining her out there so she's not laying around sleeping in my "absence."  The washer is accomodating me so far today, thankfully.  Oh, there's the princess, now at the door.  I shouldn't have said a word, lol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks tt.  Pingo had a great idea. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Love the avatar of Yoda, Winter.
    Amber- glad you are feeling better.

Very busy here at work, and did not get on computer last night.

TT- got a new 500 pc puzzle- it is a top view of various decorated cupcakes. Got it at Walgreens yesterday. Only trouble is box is tall and narrow, so have to turn it to look at "the big picture".  I got the outside done, and a few of the cupcakes- it is pretty easy compared to the other one I did.
    Snowed a little here this morning, and is cold.  Running out on an errand soon-I usually run out about 2:30 for an hour, so when I come back, there is not much tiome left in the afternoon.   I am always a bit late in the morning, so I never leave at 5--I am not a clock watcher. I am lucky--I love my job, and have great bosses. They have been extremely good to me when DH has not been doing well, and esp when he first got sick, nothing was ever said about all the days I did not come in. I did have unused vaca time, but I never brought that up, either. One hand washes the other.....
    Looking forward to some wine tonight with my neighbor. We are suppsed to go to dinner and a movie tomorrow night with another couple, but am not counting on it--DH is feeling sick from his meds.... It is hard to make plans, since we never know how he will be feeling one day to the next. 
    Kar--I guess you missed your chance on the washer "dying" ! A nice fire sounds good now--wish I had a fireplace. I have never had one in my life ,except at my parent's beach house, which is long sold.
    TT- I hate to see the prices plummeting like this--who knew? I am on the fence too, for the long term--to stay or go??? huge decision.  My girlfriend has a plan for all of us to move in together--sounds like fun, but would never really happen!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Tulips, nice to see you on here.  I wish I had the patience for puzzles, but sadly I don't.  I feel for you with your husbands cancer.  I don't know how my former sister-in-law does it with my niece.  Very hard..  you are to be commended.  I hope you get to dinner and a movie tomorrow night.  Always good for the soul to be with friends.  It snowed some here in Boston this morning, but now it is just cold and grey.  Hope the afternoon goes by fast.  I am ready to go home now : )

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tulips, good to see you.  Sorry to hear your DH isn't feeling so well right now.  I hope he's feeling better and you can keep your fun plans.

It's raining harder, now, so I'm so glad I went to the woodpile when I did.  It did come crashing down, but I got out of the way, thankfully.  Now, to start 'er up before I freeze.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tulips, since I'm as addicted as much, if not more, to my camera as I am to the computer, there goes my resolution to stop posting  unnecessary photos - this is the 1000 piecer I'm working on now.  Hadn't done anything for probably 3 days, but pulled it out to the middle of the room today while I was watching Y&R.  Obviously, I didn't buy it for myself - never would do a 1000 piecer, it becomes tedious.  Anyway, I'll probably stick with this.  B&N has great puzzles, challenging, but expensive too. 

Hope you get a chance to go out tomorrow night.  Laughter is good for the soul. Plans to all live together are fun to comtemplate, if nothing else.  Good to know you have close enough friends who would suggest that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I've noticed that you get what you pay for with puzzles (at least that's how it was when my grandmother was in the market).  Cheaper ones didn't have pieces that fit together nicely, and that's a big pain imo.  I don't care to wonder if I found the right piece all the time because of the poor quality of the cutting.  Do you find that to be true, now, too?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Definitely.  On this one even, I always start with edges and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the top edge together.  I had some of those pieces fitted very nicely into the bottom!  It's not so much the poor cutting, it's that they very  much limit the number of different shapes cut, so some can fit more than one place.  I always used to get mine at a stationary store, paid more, but they were a nice quality and lots of interesting shapes to fit together.  Now when I'm buying I go to B&N or a Hallmark store.  Look for the Springbok.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Tulips - I know it must be so difficult with your DH not feeling well.  It's so nice that your work is understanding.  As you said, one hand washes the other.  Just be sure to take care of yourself too, being caregiver can really take a toll.

TT - when we sold my mom's house in FLA she moved into a place much like Brooksby and absolutely loved it.  She still had her own place, but made so many wonderful friends there.  It really was good for her, until she was no longer able to be independent.  That's when it gets tough.  She's really not happy where she is now.  Although I don't think she will ever be truly happy in an assisted living place, I think we are going to shop around for another one at some point.

All this talk about taxes are making me freak!  Same as you pingo, we do ours with the business and end up owing a large amount (fun being a small business in MA, huh).  I keep up with all of the data in Quickbooks throughout the year, so I can just run reports for our accountant, but I'm going to get every penny of interest on our $ before we cut a check to the state and feds!  lol.

Enjoy your puzzles.  My MIL and I worked on one not too long ago.  It was nice to do it together.  I left if on my dining room table and we would "make plans" to hang out together and work on it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Not only are you a good daughter, Princess, but a good DIL also.

ETA:  I did take a tour and look into Brooksby when I first retired - I don't think I would fit in there - even their style of daily dressing is certainly different from my sweats!  AND, they all looked so old to me.  Guess my own looking glass lies back to me when I peer into it mornings!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Yes, a genuine person you are Princess.  Rare find today.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Friday everybody.  Don't like this raw weather after the sunny days earlier this week.  I guess we're never satisfied with the weather.  Really shouldn't complain.  This winter has been a breeze, although March can pack a punch. Just got back from lunch, coincidentally at the Cheesecake Factory!  There's one close to the office and when we are a large party, it's easy to get a table there.  One of my colleagues is transferring to NY office, so we took him there - his choice.  I can't say the food is that bad and I don't find it expensive.  My only complaint is they give you too much food.  The key lime cheesecake is to die for imo. 

Went to the movies last night and saw 'Hugo.'  Darling story.  I loved it.  Going to see 'The Artist' on Sunday.  Haven't been to the movies in ages and I'm going twice in one week.  After work, I'm going around the corner and meeting two friends for drinks and apps.  Tomorrow night I'm invited to a dinner party in the south end.  So, it will be a busy weekend but all fun activities.  

Haven't been to the accountant yet.  I'm pretty good about saving receipts and important papers, so it's never an issue.  I know I'll be due a refund so I should make an appointment.

tt, that  puzzle looks daunting.  What a challenge! I got two for Christmas a couple of years ago.  They are still in the closet.  One is Fenway Park.  All that green!  Maybe I'll drop it by at your house!

amber, feel better.  Glad you have nice weekend plans.

winter, love the pictures of Yoda.  He'll let you pet him soon enough.  With cats, it's always on their terms.  My male still eyes me with suspicion but let me pet him after a year.

My father's Kenmore washer lasted four years, with very little use.  Couldn't get them to do a thing about it because he let the warranty lapse.  Had to buy a new one.  I have Frigidaire stackable w/d.  The washer went after two years.  Even though the warranty was up, Frigidaire replaced it at no cost because the drum cracked.  That never should have happened.  I bought them at Yale Appliance in Dorchester and they went above and beyond for me in getting it replaced.  Cars are just as bad.

Have a great weekend everybody.

mothermitzi