February 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: February 2012

Hi ladies, I hope all is well on this dreary day, and I hope you all have fun and relaxing weekends planned.

I found out today that I am having a baby girl. I had this intuition about it the whole time and I was right :) But most importantly, she is healthy and on track, which is a nice relief. So now onto the planning and I can't help but look at all the little girls stuff :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

How wonderful!  Congratulations Liz!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

As I said on the other board, congratulations that you are having a little girl.  You and Novem, can go little girl shopping. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, the key lime cheesecake is my favorite one (although, I haven't tried them all, lol).  You can do OK for price at lunch, but dinner is super expensive, I think, for the type of restaurant it is.  Re our washer, yep, things are just not made to last anymore, it's so sad.  But, our washer is still doing OK today, thankfully!

Liz, that's so exciting, a little girl!  Congrats!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be heading out in 10 minutes but I wanted to wish everyone a good night.  I should be on at some point this weekend. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In Response to Re: February 2012:
    Definitely.  On this one even, I always start with edges and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the top edge together.  I had some of those pieces fitted very nicely into the bottom!  It's not so much the poor cutting, it's that they very  much limit the number of different shapes cut, so some can fit more than one place.  I always used to get mine at a stationary store, paid more, but they were a nice quality and lots of interesting shapes to fit together.  Now when I'm buying I go to B&N or a Hallmark store.  Look for the Springbok.
    Posted by toytrumpet

tt, Springbok puzzles areterrific, I have two, 1000pcs each, done and hanging on the wall in my coupon/library/s&p etc room.  The puzzles are all Salt and Pepper shakers. I check the Halmark stores all the time to see if they have any new ones in. ss

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Amber- TT got me going on puzzles- have not  done one for about 30 years!
    TT- will check them out one fo these days at B/N. The one I borrowed from my mother had a nice box, where the top (the picture) you slanted up, and it went into a slot- like an easel, so it was easy to see. You probable have seen that, but it was new to me.  I will note the Springbok name. The walgreens one was only about  $4--my first impression was cheap when I opened it, but the pieces fit fine.
    Princess- yes, you are a good daughter and DIL!    I had a great MIL-she has been gone a long time now.
    MMitzi--Yale is great- we bought a lot of things there over the years--also Hancock in Quincy, if you are on the SS.  They went over and above for me  with the manufacturer when my fridge had a problem.  You have a nice weekend planned- enjoy.
    Liz--congrats on your little pink bundle of joy!  so much fun!
    TT--If you would come down to the SS, there is a great place in my town you could live! (MY HOUSE! ) Kidding--but my parents moved to adult community in the same town we have always lived before my dad died, and they loved it from the  minute they moved in. I NEVER thought my mother would give up her house, but she does not even miss it.  She even has a garden there. They made the best friends there--it is a great community . They offer anything and everything you could want- or nothing , if you don't want to partake..... people of all sorts-and it seems to me everyone blends nicely, no matter where they came from --As a matter of fact, I did hear that even the people who wear sweats are accepted just like everyone else!! 
    Boy, couldn't believe how cold and raw when I ran out...
    Hoping to finish up here soon, and get started on the weekend !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, that's interesting.  I could relate to your description of the puzzles completely.  My grandmother wouldn't be interested in one that wasn't well made; she'd get far too frustrated to have fun with it.

Tulips, so happy for your mom that she found a place so lovely she does not miss her house.  Home is where the heart is. :)

It is terribly raw, and it's freezing drizzle here.  Just got back from an hour walk with Gracie even so.  She's parked you know where, now, drying off.

I'm off to the market to get a few things for tonight's post travel snack.  Hate to go out again, but the fridge is pretty bare.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Wow, Icer. Congratulations to you. You must have a huge kitchen. Now, you are welcome to come here to do my kitchen. Sorry to hear about your friend, tt. There is nothing worse, than a doctor that only see the patient from his perspective and not the patient's. I hope her other doctor can help her. Good for you to be all ready for your CPA. Must be a nice feeling. I have all our tax papers collected in a folder, but we can't do our personal taxes until our company taxes are done. We have to pay taxes on our company earnings. Thanks for the site, Obbie. Where have you been? Haven't seen your posts in a very long time. - Pingo

Hi Pingo,  I guess I've just been "lurking".  I find it hard to contribute much when I don't come from the area any more.  Living on the South Shore I really never went to the North of Boston so I really don't know anything about the area.  Interesting to hear the stories though. And I don't have any cats, dogs, birds, etc. (lol).  But I really do enjoy reading all the posts.  What drew me to CC is the fact that my mother was one of the original contributors when everything was done by mail.  I've been busy getting used to my new iMac (hate it) and am so sorry I didn't get another Dell.  I have to drive 150 mi round trip to take Apple classes and am very frustrated with it.  I went down to Peru last weekend and paid the price for having ice in my mango smoothies.  I am, however, going up to babysit for one of my daughters in Weymouth in a couple of weeks.  You people have been very fortunate to have such a mild winter this year.  I hope you don't get one of your March storms while I'm there.  If I'm there long enough this time, I'll go to Foxwoods with one of my friends.  We have been going to Twin Rivers in RI quite a bit this past year.  Other than that, there is really not too much going on in my life...oh, I do go to the gym every day and take six classes there.  I absolutely love it.  There....now you know (almost all of) my story (lol).  Like Kar, I don't want to say too much about my family and include info about my father...if you googled him, you would definitely figure me out.

Kar, I see you recommended that Amber take a 5 probiotic for her immune system.  I think that would definitely help her. I take a 10 strain probiotic and honestly thought I would be "golden" going to Peru and that the ice in the drinks wouldn't bother me.  How wrong I was. I should have brought liquid iodine with me...I take it daily for thyroid and didn't bother to bring it with me....yep, I paid the price for that mistake.  The only thing I did right re Peru was to get a  prescription for Cipro before I left.  I had it handy when I returned and conquered the problem immediately.  Oh, when will I ever learn?

Anyway, that's just about it....take care all.  Obbieite

Posted by pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Obbie, always good to see you pop in, but did you mean to say something? :)

Got back from the market, and came out to find it POURING.  So glad I didn't have to walk Gracie in the pouring rain...and, I thought freezing drizzle was bad.  Everything's relative.

DH's plane is "at the gate" according to the real time flight info.  Woo hoo!  Always good to see the status of "landed," although, I wonder what it would say if it crashed?  Hmm...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Obbie, always good to see you pop in, but did you mean to say something? :) Got back from the market, and came out to find it POURING.  So glad I didn't have to walk Gracie in the pouring rain...and, I thought freezing drizzle was bad.  Everything's relative. DH's plane is "at the gate" according to the real time flight info.  Woo hoo!  Always good to see the status of "landed," although, I wonder what it would say if it crashed?  Hmm...
    Posted by kargiver

Hi Kar....I was referring to you not wanting to say too much about your brother.  Like you, I track the flights when a family member is traveling. It could take your DH quite a while to get home tonight b/c of the heavy traffic in Boston and that's if the weather if cooperating. We don't have heavy traffic here so I find it intimidating to drive on the Expressway when I'm in Boston.  When I fly there, I usually take the shuttle bus to Braintree and Enterprise picks me up at the bus terminal...saves renting a car in Boston and hitting the Expressway.  Safer for all concerned (lol).  Obbieite

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Obbie. :)  He's on his way out of Boston, already; traffic wasn't bad, thankfully.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I download the app for the airline and get automated updates regarding flight status sent to my smart phone........works great!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Since I'm not usually on the boards after supper, caught up on the posts this morning.

Liz, congratulations on a baby girl.  Sooo many adorable things to buy for little girls.  Even in these days it seems the manufacturers put out way more for them then for the little guys.  Since little boys tear at my heartstrings, I always notice that.

Tulips, laughed out loud at your description of "even people wearing sweats" being accepted in the community your mom moved into.  As mm and I have discussed often, I'm the "country mouse".

Wind is whipping around here today.  Other than to fill the feeder, don't think I'll be going out anywhere.  G.T. and partner are out of town this week-end, headed as a surprise, to a reception honoring the person who married them. 

Nice to see posts from you. Obbeite, is it you who lives in the DC/MD area?

Kar, I know you and Gracie are happy to have DH home again.

I think there's stew meat in the freezer, might take that out and make up for supper, along with a bowl of tapioca for dessert - always has to be dessert!

Cheerio has had her breakfast except for a little kibble, and she sits here looking at me, so I think that's a signal it's time to start my day.  Chat later if anyone's around.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thinking Spring, so changed avatar to my Spring Frog - also enough green to work for St. Paddy's Day too!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all!  What a windy, cold one, but at least the sun is out...sort of.

Oh, yes, it's so great to have DH home!  Gracie is following him around like a puppy at his heels.  They're getting ready to go on their Saturday morning jaunt in the woods.  Back to normal, ahhhhh. :)

tt, you're so right; the manufacturers of baby clothes and cutie things definitely have a softer spot for girls than boys.  It's impossible to shop for baby boys.  Why is that, I wonder?

RT, if I had a smart phone I'd utilize aps like that for sure, but I'm hanging on to the dark ages with my Nokia flip phone.  It doesn't even have a keyboard aside from what goes with the number pad if you can imagine, lol.

The house is put together so I'll be finishing the snuggie this weekend to take up to her this week.  I cannot WAIT to see her put it on.  The father knows what I'm making (surprising Mom) and thinks it's going to be a huge hit...

Oh, boy, the snow is picking up.  And, the wind!!  Looks like a shaken snow globe out there.

I hear the diesel...there they go!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Snow?  How much do you have out there?  When I stepped out, other than the wind blowing, it was nice out.  Here I am with my Spring Frog, and it sounds as tho in your area, DH was riding a snowmobile (diesel?) this morning?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The pickup is diesel - we don't have any snow on the ground, a Winter miracle!  The squall of a few minutes ago is over already.  No snowmobiling even up here in the hills this year.  DH is mourning; I'm rejoicing.  Not only am I not a fan of snow, but I'm even less of a fan of his barreling through the woods on that thing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Good morning, Since I'm not usually on the boards after supper, caught up on the posts this morning. Liz, congratulations on a baby girl.  Sooo many adorable things to buy for little girls.  Even in these days it seems the manufacturers put out way more for them then for the little guys.  Since little boys tear at my heartstrings, I always notice that. Tulips, laughed out loud at your description of "even people wearing sweats" being accepted in the community your mom moved into.  As mm and I have discussed often, I'm the "country mouse". Wind is whipping around here today.  Other than to fill the feeder, don't think I'll be going out anywhere.  G.T. and partner are out of town this week-end, headed as a surprise, to a reception honoring the person who married them.  Nice to see posts from you. Obbeite, is it you who lives in the DC/MD area? Kar, I know you and Gracie are happy to have DH home again. I think there's stew meat in the freezer, might take that out and make up for supper, along with a bowl of tapioca for dessert - always has to be dessert! Cheerio has had her breakfast except for a little kibble, and she sits here looking at me, so I think that's a signal it's time to start my day.  Chat later if anyone's around.  

Hi TT, I live in NC now although I'm originally (almost 30 years ago) from the Boston area.  I still read the Quincy Patriot Ledger daily though.  I read an article this morning from the NY Times saying that next Thursday they will be posting a "baked" tapioca pudding recipe.  I will post it here if it's any good.  Like you, I like most anything sweet and tapioca pudding is one of my favorites. I can't think of a sweet that I wouldn't consider 'my favorite'!!  You are only allowed to read 10 free articles from the NY Times a month so I am usually careful what I click on before reading. I've saved some of my ten for next week.  Obbieite
    Posted by toytrumpet

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Obbie, when you use the Reply option (which quotes the person you're replying to), your text doesn't come through; it happens every time for some reason.  To get around this, you could type a fresh post and hit "Add your post" instead of using the "Reply to this post" button.

ETA:  Ohhh, I see now that your text appears as if it were part of the original quoted text.  I'll look closer (like tt did!) next time.  If you put your text outside of the brackets at the bottom of the text you're replying to it will appear as your own text that's separate from the one you're quoting, by the way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter Bride, was thinking of your post saying the State rejected the online posting you sent and requested a paper one be mailed in.  CPA doing my taxes was telling me that because the State has no money, they are really clamping down and looking for money wherever.  One of her clients (no names were mentioned) filed and was audited, told to send in every piece of backup material.  She advised him not to mail it, but to personally hand deliver it to the local office and request a signed slip of paper from the person accepting the package, with their name and date on it.  Together they copied every bit of the backup material, accumulating a stack probably 8 inches high. When he took it to the IRS a man in front of him was turned away with his 3-4 sheets of documentation and told that wasn't sufficient.  Needless to say, the clerk was surprised to see the next person in line (her client) with this huge stack. - My question to her was, is anyone actually going to go through all that and verify his amounts?  Probably not.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Obbieite, never heard of baked tapioca - yes, by all means, if you want to use one of your 10 readings, and it looks good to you, I'd love to see it.  Since stepping out and seeing how nice it is, am veering away from the stew and instead thinking of a piece of steak, also so I can use some of the huge container of organic baby spinach I bought this week.  Had some under my fish the other night, but want to throw some in my noon salad and then wilt down the rest.  Want to use up the rest of the corn I opened too - prefer canned over frozen.

It would normally be time to make my bed, but again, you know who has beat me to it and when I went in and clucked at her, she just sleepily opened her eyes and smiled!  I wonder if she knows what a good deal she has here!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If Cheerio is anything like Gracie, and I believe she is, she has NO IDEA how good she has it, LOL!  They'd be good buddies, I think, always in cahoots.

Here's another flurry...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Cute Spring avatar, tt. Looking out it looks lovely with the sun high, but it is raw, cold and windy, as anyone, who stuck their nose out, will have experienced. No, it is not Spring yet. Good day to stay in and do chores. I have a few to do, plus I brought work home from the office.
    Bad day at the office yesterday. At about 3 in the afternoon, our area had a black out. So we sent everyone home early, and DH and I packed up "homework". Of course the elevator wasn't working, so me and my bad knees had to use 3 flights of stairs. Neither of us liked it. Later in the evening, DH and I went back to check the building. The lights were on again, except for the elevator lights. Called our elevator service. The motor was blown. They will come and install a new one (a $2500 item) Monday morning, and now we have to hassle with our light department and our insurance company. Not a very good evening.
    Kar, good to hear your DH is back home safely. I am always such a worrywart, whenever anyone of my family members is traveling. Funny you mentioned your dinosaur flip phone. I hang on to mine too. It solves it's purpose; I use it so very little. Everyone in our family have iPhones and tried to get me one too. But no need. I wouldn't know what to do with all the applications - LOL. You mentioned the other day getting wood from your stock pile. I couldn't help notice the price at S & S for their bundles there. $12 for a bundle, that would probably only last you one evening. Bless your DH for cutting, splitting and stacking his own.
    Re: IRS. If you ever had to deal with them, you will have noticed, they have the most obnoxious consumer unfriendly officers. We have in house auditing, because we have government contracts. They come and tear the office apart, even though we have everything filed with them, scanned and copied. The post office have slips you can fill out and get stamped with the date you mail the material. It cost $1.05 - but you need to go in person. We use them all the time for time sensitive filings.
    Need to get another cuppa, play Majong 3 times, then get started on the day's chores. Chat later - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Morning, Pingo.  Nice to have you on the boards and not at your office.  Hope you're planning on taking both today and tomorrow off.  There must be someone who is qualified to fill your bookkeeper's position, so you aren't working such long hours.

Funny, you mention it being cold.  I stepped out in my robe and thought the temp was really nice.  I might be in just enough of a sheltered place - I know we don't live too far apart.

Laughed when I read you played 3 games of MahJong - I play little games with myself like that every morning too - "just 2 games and then I'll get around."  I'm not very good at sticking with it tho, spills over into 3 or 4, but usually cut short by the message "IE has stopped working".  HATE IE.  Son says it's because of multiple pictures, colors etc., but the MahJong I play is the very simplest of versions.

Can hear the wind has set off someone's car alarm - sounds like a fire engine siren, but I know it's not.  Hope the homeowner is around to shut it off.

Now I do have to get down cellar (my least favorite place to go), clean the litter box and as always, there are washes to throw in.  For one person, I'm either an awfully clean person, or a really sloppy eater!

Sections
Shortcuts