February 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: February 2012

---Laughed when I read you played 3 games of MahJong - I play little games with myself like that every morning too---

But you taught me, tt. Or I could be sitting here all morning. Especially, if I don't win any :( Won one today :) - so it is going to be a good day - LOL
    - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

":( Won one today :) - so it is going to be a good day - LOL
    - Pingo"

LOL, you sound like me!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Laundry builds up mysteriously for me, too, tt.

Pingo, indeed, it is good to have you home.  But, what a nightmare yesterday.  Will your insurance cover the motor and installation?  I hope so; that's a big unexpected expense!  Are your knees OK today?  

Indeed, I can't imagine how much we'd spend on wood were DH not to do it himself.  That's one major incentive for his staying in good shape.

My parents have iPhones.  My lowly flip phone is used primarily to talk and is our only phone.  If I leave with it, DH is without a phone (his work cell doesn't get coverage here)...and he doesn't care.

As for the temp here, one minute it's fairly decent with the sun out and the next minute it's dark and flurrying, not feeling quite so warm.  It's flip flopped about 10 times since I first wrote of a flurry.  The snow is only on the lawn where the shadow of the house is, though; it's totally gone in the front yard since the house faces South.

Sounds like the big, bad wolf is out there doing his best to blow down the house.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Saturday everybody.  Had a lot of rain here last night and a couple of snow squalls this morning.  Went to a French restaurant on Newbury St. after work last night and met two friends.  The place was packed but there was room at the bar. Had a couple of drinks and apps. Delicious. When we left the restaurant I thought I'd have trouble getting a cab.  Just then a cab pulled up and let two people out.  I hopped in.  Very lucky.  Last night was not fit for man or beast.  

Spent this morning washing the sheets and towels from last week's company.  GS will learn this coming week if he has been accepted.  Exciting (yet nervewracking) time for all concerned.  I'll be leaving in a couple of minutes to take my father shopping.  Tonight I'm invited to dinner over in the south end.

pingo, sorry about your office problems.  Elevators can be so costly to repair.  Sounds like you deserve dinner out tonight.

tt, we are on the same wave length with beef stew.  I have two parsnips left from the last bunch I bought at the farmers market.  I have to use them up and plan to get stew meat today.

kar, glad your DH is home safely.  The wind is blowing here, too.  My pine is getting quite a shaking.

Enjoy the rest of the day all.

mothermitzi 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Not to stick my nose into something I should't, but I would worry if one of us did not have a phone close by. How would your DH be able to call 911 in an emergency? And how would you get help, if you broke down on the HWY? There are really inexpensive family plans, and there are also a plan - really cheap - where you can call 911 only. My old book keeper had that one.
    I know, you mentioned, you don't have a land line. We were going to get rid of ours, but b/c our alarm system is monitored, we couldn't do that. You once mentioned, you wanted to install an alarm system, so that is something you may consider. At first ours was not monitored, but we learned neighbors are not dependent. No one pays attention. Re: monitoring. The national advertised company is expensive. We have a private company, and it is just a few dollars a month. Few dollars worth of peace. Once we were in Texas, the alarm went off. Got a call form the company, that then called the cops and DH called our BIL to let them in. Everything was fine. It was very windy that day, and a sudden blast sat off the front door alarm.
    My knees are definitely feeling the exercise from yesterday. We do have insurance, but we and the elevator guy feel, it is due to a sudden surge stemming from the light company or someone, who was doing some digging or repair work somewhere. So since it is a huge expense (and that is w/o the labor, which is usually $150/hr. per guy) we are planning on involving the light plant. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice week-end full of "eating" activities, mm!

Boy, I would not want to be out on the highway in my little car today.  Watching the wind whip my little Japanese cherry tree.  Birds are having a hard time at the feeder too.  Lucky for them there's a yew practically next to it that they can seek shelter in.

Just had a nice dish of the warm tapioca.  Even without whipped cream for the top, it's good.  Have the hungry horrors today, I suppose it's because I'm house bound.  Tried finding a couple more pieces on the puzzle while clothes were in dryer, but still ended up with some cheese and crackers to snack on.  Last of the 3 washes is in now.  The one before this had a kleenex in some pocket that escaped detection, so pieces of that on all the clothes.  Shook them out good, and wiped the washer the best I could.  Luckily my colored wash was the first one and so wasn't effected.

Mailman made so much racket at the mail slot that I was sure I had a nice magazine to browse through. - No, just one little scrawnchy advertisement.  Cheerio has followed me from room to room today, all except down cellar.  She hates it down there as much as I do.  Makes me afraid that there is something down there (I don't know where it could be, nothing left down there where anything could hide).  She sits at the top of the stairs and looks down.  Maybe she's old enough that she's got a bit of arthritis, tho she's still agile jumping from bed to bureau to chest of drawers.

Hope everyone's enjoying their day. - Pingo, don't tell me where something could be hiding - I don't want to know!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, no worries about "sticking your nose in" - those are valid concerns.  We are mid alarm system installation; not sure if we'll need a landline for that.  I'm hardly ever gone with the phone, actually, when DH is home.

tt, I just did the same thing in the wash - had little paper towel balls all over everything.  I was so disgusted with myself for missing it; I checked the pockets...??

mm, what a lovely evening you had on Newbury.

Had chicken tenders and simple bagged salad for lunch.  Delectable.  Fried the tenders in butter having coated them with parmesan bread crumbs.  Put creamy parmesan dressing on the salad and tied them together.

Gracie came back soaked from their walk, she just loves the water (unless soap is involved, lol).  And, the sun is going in and out with snow coming and going, still.  Very strange.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---I'm hardly ever gone with the phone, actually, when DH is home.---

That doesn't make me feel better. What if something happens to you, while you are out? - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I always have it with me, I just don't go anywhere on the weekend alone very often or for very long.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

kar, the restaurant is La Voile.  I highly recommend it, as I've been there many times.  They serve lunch and dinner. When my boss is in town, that's usually where we go for lunch.  

mothermitzi   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'll keep that in mind, thanks, mm.  I'll be going into Boston with SIL next month, I think, and she adores French food, as well.  Seems to me she told me the Joan Rivers date is in March...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

kar, I didn't know Joan Rivers was coming to Boston.  I'll have to google it.  I love her! Only time I saw her live was a long time ago - 1990 I think.

mothermitzi 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Beautiful sun shining, wind has died down, looks like a great day to get outside.

Haven't seen HH in two weeks or more now.  I'm sure if he had stopped showing up at my neighbor's, she would have called, so just assuming he's here at an earlier hour than I'm getting up, or that he's given up on his previous bird stalking.

With all the buying I do at Michael's, had signed up for one of their rewards cards, and there was a giveaway to enter in my morning's emails.  Here's hoping -

Going online to check out any applesauce muffin recipes.  Usually I buy the individual cups, but a weekly special a couple of weeks ago was the large jar.  Like Pingo, I'm afraid I won't use it fast enough, so thought some muffins might be good to have in freezer.  Bought some of S&S's own apple cinnamon muffins a few weeks ago and they were delicious - I'm not usually a muffin person.

What's everyone have planned today?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Yes it is a nice day out - looking wise. Did you see the temperature tt? It's 28º. Apple muffins sounds great. Love anything apple. If you like yoghurt, Chobani has come out w/ a new flavor - Apple/Cinnamon. It is delicious - like a dessert.
    Have lunch guests coming today. I made a strata from some of the leftover shoulder. Just have to pop it in the oven later and make a green salad. Re: shoulder. It came out just delicious. I did change the water half way, and I am glad I did. The saltiness, was just perfect for us. I "boiled" the shoulder (20 minutes) - then when DH was to arrive I gave the veggies 4 minutes and then kept it on "keep warm". Every time I use that pressure cooker, I get more and excited over it.
    Made a batch of ginger snap cookies yesterday. DH loves them, and I have been buying them at Hannaford from their fresh bakery - $3.79 for 12 cookies - since I never had good luck making them myself. I used an old recipe from Joy's of Cooking yesterday, and they came out just great.
    I better get going. Lunch company will be here before I know. You all have a great Sunday - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, not sure exactly when our tix are for...SIL bought them.  I've never seen her in person, but I love her and her story of triumph after terrible childhood.  I was heading off to college in 1990, by the way...a lifetime ago!

tt, I love applesauce muffins.  Actually, all my muffins have applesauce instead of oil.  They come out great imo; not sure how they'd freeze, though, there's never any left.

Pingo, I'm tellin' ya, I'm going to end up with a pressure cooker here pretty soon.  I've been eyeing the Cuisinart one at WS.  I'm glad you changed the water; I knew you'd want to.  Strata sounds lovely for company!  Have a great time.

I've finished all the crocheting of the snuggie, and now I'm taking care of the ends.  I'm considering running a quick border to help it keep its shape.  But, either way, it's well on its way to being actually, totally DONE today.  I'll take a camera up to my friend's.  I expect one day this week will work out for me to deliver it.

DH is struggling to get back on Eastern time.  I dragged him out of bed this morning before he really wanted to in prep for tomorrow.  Hopefully, he'll be able to go to sleep before 10 tonight, ideally.

He and Gracie are out, and I made a quinoa/black bean chili last night that we'll have for lunch.  No big plans, but it's nice to see the sun.  I'll probably take Gracie later myself for a walk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I like Cook's recipes and have good luck on that website, but googling them found they all sounded like spice muffins - not what I was looking for, also had oatmeal as an ingredient, so went back to AllRecipes and found one, "Mother's Applesauce Muffins".  Anything that "mother" made, has to be good, right?  Have margarine softening and will bake them up before lunch.  Haven't taken anything out of freezer for big meal today, but I know I'm longing for some boiled cabbage, so at noon will at least boil up some along with some carrots.  There's some leftover ham slices and will probably take that pkg out to go with.

Had no idea the temp was only 28, but checking out my slider window, can see the little pond is ice, so I guess it is.  May head out to poke a bit this afternoon if nothing else more interesting shows up on the horizon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's beautiful, Kargiver.  Mom and little girl are going to be so pleased.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!!  I took the pic and then decided to do the edge so I'm working on that.  It won't really look different, but it will keep its shape better...not so droopy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Looking good, and smelling divine!  I added sugar, cinnamon and chopped nuts to the tops.  Raisins already in the recipe.  I'll try one with my lunch.

Knew when I got up today something nice was going to happen - call from little Lilly.  She and Nana are coming down tomorrow, any maybe Papa too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    That is lovely. I am sure you are pleased, that you stayed with it and finished it.
    That is the exact cooker, I have. But WS is too expensive. Don't be cheated by the retail price and think you are getting a good deal. I got mine at Costco for $79. That is a good 20% less. If you are not a member of Costco, it might be worth your while to ask around to see if someone else is. It wouldn't be worth for you to become a member for just the pot (it is $40 for husband and wife) unless you use it regularly. But if you do, there are lots of savings. Even their Pharmacy can't be beat and some of them have gas pumps, lot cheaper, than anywhere else.
    - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Did you win Mahjong, tt? LOL - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I didn't, but just woke up feeling something nice was going to happen.
    Actually, lost 3 games of MahJong, and on the 4th, of course, IE stopped working!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mmmm smells like St. Paddy's day here, with cabbage, carrots and potatoes boiling.  I'll throw in a couple of ham slices pulled from the freezer, at the last minute or two.  Then, I'll try one of those muffins that I'm having a hard time keeping my hands off of.  Hope their taste is as good as their smell.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, those muffins look awesome!  I can almost smell them...  Lunch sounds good, too.  I haven't done a boiled dinner since it came up here even though my mouth has been watering at the thought.  Soon, I can feel it.

Thanks for the heads up, Pingo.  I won't pay full retail when I get around to purchasing one and will check out Costo.  Amazon usually has cheaper prices, too, and free shipping if you don't mind the slowest option (which is surprisingly fast).   WS really rakes in the big bucks!

Yes, I can't tell you how happy I am that I stuck with the snuggie.  And, it's completely done.  I added a functional border to help it keep its shape under its own weight and ran in all the ends.  It's folded up and ready to wrap.

Now, on to the next present, a simple baby blanket.  You can see a bit of that project's yarn in the yellow bag in the foreground of the snuggie photo.