February 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: February 2012

I am dying for something sweet.  I would have eaten all of those desserts.  No shame in that : )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, tonight I think I'll make sloppy Joes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oooohh... that sounds good!  Not sure what I am having.  mm...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

BLT over here for lunch Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That does sound good tt.  Don't know what I'm having yet.  But your sweets sounded good to me. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm back after a banner visit with my friend and her LO.  No photo, though, as she was not too sure about the sleeves and wouldn't put her arms in.  But, mom is confident she will and said she'd send a photo when she does.  Maybe she'll do it for Daddy when he gets home.  I'm absolutely thrilled that I kept with it and finally got it to her.

Pingo, if you just made apple sauce definitely make the potato pancakes to go with!  They were soooooo good.  I use your cookbook, the Joy of Cooking, but I embellish it with a whole minced onion (instead of the measly amount it calls for), garlic, and smoked paprika.

Princess, WOW!!!  Both sets are absolutely beautiful - he did such a nice job picking those out.  Thanks for posting; that's a great photo of them, too.

tt, I think I missed a really great photo...darn it!

Now, to the business of picking up the house and getting dinner started.  I made a double batch of potato pancake batter, though, so not much else to do there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, it was a joke that could have been deemed deletable.

Glad you got the snuggie delivered.  Know you must have been a little disappointed that the little one was a bit apprehensive about slipping her arms into the sleeves.  I'm sure in a day or two Mom will be able to put it on and she'll love it.  I know her parents must appreciate all the work you put into it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt, I'm sure you're right...I appreciate the encouragement.  You know LOs better than I do.  They get skiddish about new things sometimes, I guess.  She's in a "Daddy phase" so maybe she'll want to put it on when he gets home.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Speaking of "daddies"  - just got a photo of my son and his dau (who definitely is a daddy's girl) with a dolphin on their vacation.  Can't wait to hear all about it, clip said they have had a great time.  One thing I had said to him is, "Don't bring snow with you when you come back - people always do that, step off the plane into inches of snow".  Looks like that's just what they will be doing!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, I know the baby will love it. They are squeemy : ) don't think that is a word! Lol! Princess has 2 pairs of earings on. The dangle DH bought and the other she bought for herself. Love that! tt, one of my "bucket list" things to do is swim with Dolphins. And so funny he IS bringing snow home. Lol! How is precious Cheerio? Posting this late as having an issue sleeping. Will chat tomorrow. Sleep tight everyone : )

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

TT, Here's the recipe for the baked tapioca pudding from the NY Times.  The article that is included is an interesting read also.  Obbieite

RECIPE

Baked Tapioca Pudding With Cinnamon Sugar Brûlée

Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Andrew Scrivani for The New York Times

This tapioca pudding is baked, and its topping of Demerara sugar and cinnamon is quickly singed under the broiler, creating a crunchy brûlée.

Related

3 cups whole milk
    1 cup heavy cream1 cinnamon stick
    1/3 cup small pearl tapioca
    4 large egg yolks
    85 grams granulated sugar (about
    1/3 cup)
    1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
    45 grams Demerara sugar (about 3 tablespoons)
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

1. Heat oven to 300 degrees.

2. In a medium saucepan, bring the milk, cream and cinnamon stick to a simmer. Whisk in the tapioca. Simmer until the pearls are completely tender, about 20 minutes.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, granulated sugar and salt. Whisking constantly, pour in a third of the tapioca mixture. Whisk yolk mixture into the pot of tapioca; simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a heat-proof spatula, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.

4. Transfer pudding to a buttered

1 1/2-quart gratin dish. Sprinkle the top with Demerara sugar and cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, until the pudding is firm around the edges and jiggly in the center, about 30 minutes. Put under the broiler until top is bubbling and golden, 3 to 5 minutes. (Watch carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn.) Eat warm, or chill and serve cold, removing the cinnamon stick while serving.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Thank you so much for posting that tapioca recipe, Obbieite, and the article too.  Fascinating reading.  I'm not quite sure about the cinnamon stick, wouldn't you have to go fishing around in the dessert for it after it came out of the oven?  Have you made it yet?  I'm pretty sure it's something G.T. would enjoy.  Next time they are down for a meal, I think I'll try it - well - not next time, because that will be to pick me up for St. Paddy's Day at Foxwoods.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

So happy I didn't have to open up the snuggie directions upon logging in to the computer...first time in 2 months!  I'm working on my next baby blanket.

I'd take the cinnamon stick out when you take the tapioca off the stove, tt.

That's great they had a good vacation, tt, but they can keep the snow.  We've been so spoiled, and I don't want to start shoveling now!

Well, it's the last day of my weight loss time frame.  I wanted to lose 10 lbs, but only lost 5 1/2 - 6.  I'd like to lose 3 more by the end of March; I think that's reasonable given that's my current rate.  Then, I'll be done until July when we do our annual 3 week veggie purification program from my aunt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  tt, I swim with the dolphins in the Bahamas, it was awesome.  I have it on video too.  Kar, that's still a good weight loss, be pleased about it.  Amber, how you feeling today? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning,

I am feeling better Winter, thank you for asking : )  Any more petting for Yoda?  That tapioca recipe sounds so good...  Nice going to Foxwoods for Saint Patricks Day tt.  Should be a fun trip.  I have to work on my self evaluation for work.  Ugh... really dislike doing them.  Sounds like we will have a little snow coming.  Should be interesting to see who gets what and how much.  I hope everyone has a great day!

ETA: Forgot to congratulate you Kar on the weight loss.  That is fantastic and like tt said, you aren't grossly overweight. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Winter, yes, that's where they are.  Usually they go to Aruba, but there is nothing for the kids to do there, so this year they chose the Bahamas instead.  On vacation, "if the kids ain't happy, the parents ain't happy"!  Dying to see their other pics.

Kargiver, you've done well to lose the 6 lbs.  It's not like you're grossly overweight, and so it's harder for your body to give up the weight you want it to.  I just glanced at the calendar and see I have a regularly scheduled dr.'s appt in two weeks.  No more baking for me until after that, and more importantly, no more sweets - after I finish this peanut butter cookie with my coffee!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!!  I am pleased despite being a little embarrassed to admit I didn't make my goal.  I have 3 sets of jeans, and I've moved back down to the middle set, and that makes me pretty happy!

Ambergirl, indeed, here it comes.  DH and I have gone on the household record with our predictions for our yard:  He says 10", I say 6".  

ETA:  tt, gl at the doc's in 2 weeks!  (Saw your and ambergirl's posts after mine posted.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

In Response to Re: February 2012:
     Good morning, Thank you so much for posting that tapioca recipe, Obbieite, and the article too.  Fascinating reading.  I'm not quite sure about the cinnamon stick, wouldn't you have to go fishing around in the dessert for it after it came out of the oven?  Have you made it yet?  I'm pretty sure it's something G.T. would enjoy.  Next time they are down for a meal, I think I'll try it - well - not next time, because that will be to pick me up for St. Paddy's Day at Foxwoods.
    Posted by toytrumpet

No, TT, I haven't made the pudding yet.  But I will make it soon.  I would also take the cinnamon stick out before baking. Right now I'm on a no-carb kick and eating a lot of chicken, fish, egg whites and salads. I miss my potatoes, rice, etc.  Good luck at Foxwoods.  I may get to there a few days ahead of you.  We will play bingo and then go to the slot machines.  I also usually play about 25 games of Keno while I'm there.  Obbieite

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Obbie, that sounds like a really good recipe.  I'm trying to avoid sweets (and tt for 2 weeks?), too, but not all carbs.  I might make it with stevia.  DH loves sweet treats, but they don't love him back.  We do a 3 week purification every year that eliminates starchy carbs...it's tough for me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got off the phone and getting ready to run out for a couple of things (milk and kleenex) that I forgot in my weekly shopping - and I spy - little white feet under my backyard shrub!

ETA:  Just went out and patted him - didn't even bother offering him anything to eat.  Guess he's figured out he needs to come a little later for the bird hunt.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

In Response to Re: February 2012:
    Obbie, that sounds like a really good recipe.  I'm trying to avoid sweets (and tt for 2 weeks?), too, but not all carbs.  I might make it with stevia.  DH loves sweet treats, but they don't love him back.  We do a 3 week purification every year that eliminates starchy carbs...it's tough for me.
    Posted by kargiver

Kar, if you do try it with the stevia would you let me know how it is please.  I don't like anything with artificial sweetners but I would probably try it. ( I can't tolerate any diet sodas so I drink water.)  I doubt if I could handle a three week purification although I think they're a good thing to do once a year.  If it's tough for you then I'd never be able to tolerate it, lol.  Obbieite

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'll let you know.  I only use stevia because it's not an artificial sweetener.  It's a totally natural plant extract.  Some things marketed as 100% stevia is mixed with other things, though, like Truvia, so be careful to get the pure extract if you try it.  I use the liquid; it comes with a dropper for a cap.  In fact, this is what I buy, but I know you can buy it at Whole Foods (at least) locally, too:  Pure Stevia Exract from Amazon

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Not one flake in my area...anyone else getting snow?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nothing here.  It's not supposed to start out in the Quabbin area until at least noon, though, and we're ahead of Boston on this one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I'm in Boston.  Nothing here yet, but they said on the news this morning, we will get some this afternoon.  But it isn't going to stick much.  I think it is mostly overnight into tomorrow. 

Sections
Shortcuts