February 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: February 2012

No o.j. in house to put into a cranberry bread, so found an apple/cranberry loaf online and will use my pink ladies in that.  I'll let you know how it is, taste-wise later.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

TT--yes, please come. You are more than welcome ! I am just south of Boston-very easy to find.  Ribs would be a perfect addition -but you don't need to bring them-just yourself!! 
    And Kar- I thought you were my friend-you won't clean for me?  Can you at least tell me how you make your chipotle sauce?
    Princess-you are right about cleaning. I used to have a cleaning lady-best money I ever spent. My favorite day to come home from work-everything so nice and clean,and smelling so good ! Now with DH sick, can't afford it anymore, since income is cut.  Wahwahwah.  Not to mention, I am basically lazy, I guess!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar you are more diligent than me on reading labels. I was more concerned about my back to be honest. I think people with children might want to sanitize but don't want to get on my soap box about my opinion we are doing our children more damage with the germ patrol. Will stop now : ) tt, when you are done with tulips house can you swing by mine? Lol! I am home for the Super Bowl, doing laundry. Anyone around and bored, chat me up : ) gotta say it though.. GO PATS!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Amber,

Stopped in on my way down cellar to throw a wash in (what we with no super bowl plans seem to be doing today!), and saw your post.  Me and Cheerio had a little nap, she still snoring away, and I woke up to see the sun streaming in.

Don't know what to say about the cranberry/apple bread, it fits its need, I guess, but it's a strange bread, not dry, but not as moist as my others either.  Made a salad topped with the macaroni salad, and had a slab of the bread with.  It'll be a good go-along with a big cup of coffee mornings.  In the meantime, the ribs smell delicious.

Car full of company just pulled up in abuting driveway.  Oh, dropping off her son who had gotten his own place several months ago.  Guess he's come home for some of his mom's super bowl treats.

Sun is shining brightly here, but people going by seem to be bundled up, so guess the temp isn't all that high.  Never did even think of washing the kitchen floor today, so that's a no go.  I'm off down cellar to throw the first of a couple of washes in.  Enjoy your day, Amber.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Need a smile or two?

Ad placed in UK newspaper:
    FREE PUPPIES.
    Mother is a Kennel Club registered German Shepherd.
    Father is a Super Dog, able to leap tall fences in a single bound.

FOR SALE BY OWNER.
    Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica, 45 volumes.
    Excellent condition, £200 or best offer. No longer needed, got married, wife
    knows everything.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, I am a fair weathered fan of football. Will flick back and forth to the game. I feel I am coming down with a cold : ( sore throat and stuffy nose. I have laundry in dryer and house is cleaned so I am in a good place. Defrosted pork chops for later. I am on a pork chop kick Give Cheerio my love. Amber got groomed yesterday and the groomer made a birthday bow for her collar. Adorable ..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sweet Amber.  Bet she's glad to have you home today.

I took the cover off the crockpot a few minutes ago to give everything a little stir, and the smell woke Cheerio right up, and brought her out to her dish.  Tidbit of these she certainly can't have tho, not with that barbecue sauce on them.

I just finished up the few crumbs of chips by dipping them along with my fingers to be able to get them down in the container far enough, with sour cream.

Glad I have a leisurely day today, working on the Sunday crossword puzzle a bit, and watching bits and pieces of movies on the movie channels, but they're ones I had seen before, so nothing has captured my complete interest.  The one wash is probably all I'll do, hate going down the cellar once it starts to get darker, not much lighting down there, especially over the washer/dryer.

These colds with sore throats are hard to get rid of.  I started with a sinus headache the other day and took my coldeze, and then took a Hall's menthol lemon drop along with me out on errands.  Those really open sinuses up.  Hope you're feeling better as the day goes on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amber is quite spoiled these days : ) she is sleeping. Will put her collar on later where the bow is on. The groomer made it special for Amber. She sure does charm everybody : ) Not sure to be honest if I have a cold yet. Turned down the heat and cracked a couple of windows.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies,

Had a wonderful visit!  Lunch was fabulous, and we had a lovely walk.  No wind, nice sun.  Gracie was her well behaved self, too.  

Pingo, watch out for apples that don't brown; they are genetically modfified for that to be the case.  Not sure if this is modfied to keep from getting brown or not, but Honey Crisps are my favorite eating apple, too.  Perfect balance of tartness and sweetness with just the right texture (as the name implies).  For pies, I like to use 8 of all different varities.  They all cook down to different consistencies, and the depth of apple flavor cannot be replicated by only using one variety.  Man, now I could go for a nice piece of hot apple pie...

The ice cream stayed smooth, Pingo, even after being in the freezer overnight.  Not an ice crystal to be seen.  It's full fat, but almost no sugar.

Gracie is camped out on my down coat in the foyer...I wonder if that means the stove needs wood, lol.

tt, are you getting a cold?

ambergirl, I am definitely with you on how people go overboard with the sanitation quest.  I think germs build kids immune systems.  BUT, I do use the sanitize feature on the bathroom floors because I can, and it does end up smelling fresher (or at least it does in my mind, anyway, lol).

Making myself a cup o' decaf.  What a great day.

~kar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I meant to say I will try to get a picture with Amber and her birthday bow : )

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, my bathroom is small, so sanitizing is probably automatic. My DD played outside every day with her friends. She still tells people she had the best childhood. This being in the 80's when "scheduled play dates" were popular and people afraid to let their kids go trick or treating. I allowed DD to be a kid. Get dirty, run and play. The children today have parents that are germaholics but allow their kids to sit in front of video games. Just wacked to me. IMO : )

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

tt, are you getting a cold?
    (from Kargiver)

No, I was sympathizing with Amber who said she was getting a sore throat and -

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, would have love your thoughts on the germaholics today? My niece makes me use hand sanitzer every time I walk in her door. Her kids are 6, 4 and 2. Drives me nuts. But do it of course. She laid her babies on their backs when they were infants, unlike mine and your generation who placed them on their stomach. So now there is an issue with "flat heads" and they have to wear helmets. This all because they thought SIDS was caused by children on their stomach. SIDS is still killing infants today. Is it me? Am I out of touch?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, that's good, tt.

ambergirl, I think you did you DD a favor by letting her be a "dirty" kid!  I was one, digging holes in the backyard, filling them with water as a swimming pool for ants I collected (and probably ended up drowning), a favorite pasttime when I was 5.  What a mess I must have been!  I also made a habit of taking a fork and trying to dig the "diamonds" (otherwise known as mica flakes) out of the sidewalk so my mom wouldn't have to work so hard - I wondered how the diamonds got there, but didn't care; we were going to be rich.  Took me a long time to give up on that...  Anyway, I was down on the ground most of the time I was outside.

Sorry you're getting sick, ambergirl.  Hope you whip it fast.

I suppose the food fests are going strong in the pregame excitement.  I'm still full from lunch and a nice cuppa decaf.  Yum.

~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber, I made mudpies even in the winter on a warm day, by a plank by father would put on a couple of saw horses, and filling washed out empty cans with snow with added mud for the chocolate variety.  My boys did the same.  My first encounter with the newer generation of Mom's actually came when my youngest's son was over and I was giving him a ride in the wheelbarrow - you can imagine what the reaction of the child's mother was - OMG, there are all kinds of germs in that, and she scooped him up out of it before he knew what was happening.  Up until then he loved to have rides around my yard.  When his sister came along (GD who is coming to bake cookies tomorrow), she sounded like a smaller version of her mother - "that  looks dirty" and not just said about my wheelbarrow!

My kids  had no allergies (hence the grandchildren didn't get theirs passed down from their fathers) and survived to adulthood.  All the grandchildren have allergies of one kind or another and I think part, I say part, of it is because they haven't been exposed to any germs at all.  Their systems don't know how to fight them when they do come along.

As for the sleeping arrangements, I had mine on their stomach or sides, alternately.  We were told if they regurgulated while laying on their back, it might choke them.  I know new theories come along with each generation and my "to go by" reference was Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thanks Kar.. I do worry about my great nieces and nephews. I just find it crazy today. Happy to hear you being younger, had a smart mom. Going to watch Super Bowl off and on. If anyone is doing the same I will check back in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt.. what can I say except I so agree!! Sad to me... and love the allergies, all of a sudden it is problem. I shut my mouth because I know they have them because of their parents.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mothermitzi, how are you feeling today?  Did you decide to go or stay home?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A subject near and dear to my heart, in case you're curious.

Allergies are due to an over-active immune system that responds to something that it shouldn't, good things like flowers, peanuts, etc.  On the other hand, being overly prone to catching illnesses from others is due to an under-active immune system.   

Therefore, someone can have a great resistance to colds and flu but also have rampant allergies, an auto-immune problem.  For instance, I'm hardly ever sick with a cold, but I'm deathly allergic to lilies.

Oversanitizing kids' environments keeps their immune systems from being strong enough to fend off colds and flu.  But, if they are allergic to peanuts, that's totally unrelated.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I wasn't talking about obvious food allergies like peanuts and dairy lactose allergies. I was saying new mothers are not equipping their children with natural immune. Kind of funny considering how obessed these same parents are. But really need to listen to their mothers and grandmothers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Well, that was a bust.  I watched the game and felt bad they didn't win.  It would have been a nice honor to the memory of Myra Kraft.  However, it's only a game and there's always next season.

No, tt, I stayed home.  It was the right decision.  I have no appetite and would not have been comfortable leaving the house.  I had two meetings tomorrow morning, which I moved to Wednesday.  

As far as germs are concerned, my grandmother used to say, "Whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger."  I always found that expression a bit chilling but that was reality in her day. You can be so careful with your kids at home, but the minute they go out the door, you don't know what they are exposed to.  You can only control so much.

tt, I hadn't thought about Dr. Spock for a long time!

mothermitzi    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, good morning.  I never watch a Patriot's game all the way through, and I did last night, so along with the various players who feel they were the one who let the team down, count me in - I jinxed them by sitting through the entire game.

Since there isn't too much to say about the game itself, let's talk about the commercials.  I had already seen the yellow convertible high school graduation gift one, and the one where the dog slims down so he can fit through the doggie door and race with the car, along with a couple of others, and until last night those two were my favorites.  But, that being said, I laughed out loud at the greyhound racing one where the little pug appears on the track with his red running shoes, shoots ahead of the others and then does his back step dance over the finish line!  The other big favorite of mine was the Coke polar bear, sequence where the other bears toss him a Coke and he slips and slides all over the ice till he's out on the flow with them and finally catches hold of it - -Guess those are the kid-like ones, but they were my favorites.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Well, after all that "we're not interested" talk, guess who watched the game?!  Yup, the kargivers. :)  Although, we got tired with only 10 minutes left in the game, and we went to bed.

Ambergirl, I totally got what you were saying.  It's a thing for me to clear up any misunderstandings about germs and allergens.  Being unfairly blamed for my allergies was tough on my mom.  Her MIL did it routinely because she didn't understand what I explained above about the immune's system role in fighting germs vs allergens.

Oh, my, here I am about to leave late for my chiropractic appointment

Have a great day, everyone! 

Chat later,
    ~kar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning all,
    Tough loss for the Pats last night.  We did enjoy the commercials as well TT.  Actually, the greyhound one was with a French Bulldog - another one of my favorite types of dogs.  It was too funny!

Well, my last day before going back to the "lions," lol.  Trying to wrap things up, get my clothes ready, errands, etc.  DH doesn't want me to go back, but he knows it's important to me.  He's so supportive, I am really lucky.

Have a great day eveyone!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning everyone,

Sad day, but like mm said, it is just a game.  But I thought we should have had it.  Oh well..  quiet in here and on the trains this morning. I think a lot of people may have taken today off or are late.