February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Re: February 2013

I am a sometimes poster/lurker.

My thoughts are that all posters are not welcome even though the majority of regular posters say they are.   I know some posters have been inappropriate at times and understand that.  But other times I feel posters are unfairly attacked when they say something or give an opinion when it is something a regular poster may not want to hear even though it may be truth.  This is a turn off to some. 

As Pingo just said sometimes folks just have nothing to say when a converstation is not relevant or not interesting to them.  I personally am not interested in what someone eats each day/meal or what their pets are doing.  I do like when folks talk about a new recepie, new place to see, recent trip or something exciting.  So I will skim when I have a chance post a quick note if I feel I can add to the conversation.  If not I go about my business. 

Just my thoughts and am sure there will be some harsh words even though I mean no ill will.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to allreadymarried's comment:

I am a sometimes poster/lurker.

My thoughts are that all posters are not welcome even though the majority of regular posters say they are.   I know some posters have been inappropriate at times and understand that.  But other times I feel posters are unfairly attacked when they say something or give an opinion when it is something a regular poster may not want to hear even though it may be truth.  This is a turn off to some. 

As Pingo just said sometimes folks just have nothing to say when a converstation is not relevant or not interesting to them.  I personally am not interested in what someone eats each day/meal or what their pets are doing.  I do like when folks talk about a new recepie, new place to see, recent trip or something exciting.  So I will skim when I have a chance post a quick note if I feel I can add to the conversation.  If not I go about my business. 

Just my thoughts and am sure there will be some harsh words even though I mean no ill will.

Since I am the one who posts what I eat and what my pets are doing, I wonder if your post is directed to me.  I have no harsh words for you.  I realize and have said often that my posts are probably quite boring to many.  I do think I post too much sometimes, and will consider that possibility again now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

No tt, I love your posts. I always read them while I'm at work even if I can't post right away. You had me thinking of As the World Turns All Day. :) I have to head home in a few. Will check in with the iPad later.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Winter, but I'm a lot older than most of the other posters, and I'm sure my smaller world with fewer adventures at this point, is not of interest to many.  Perhaps I monopolize the boards.  I'll give it some serious thought.  I certainly don't want to be the one who is keeping others from posting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Don't take this stuff so seriously.

Did anyone see the Manti Te'o interview on Katie the other day about his online girlfriend?

I think people are becoming more cautious in general about interacting on social forums.

I usually only pop in if the topic is animal or health related and I think my opinion may be helpful.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came back from another trip to Costco. It's freezing out there. Brrrr!
    The whatever mycin the doc had prescribed for DH, made him even more sick. So I called the doc, and had him give him something else. Let's cross the fingers and hope this will work better for him. Also swung by TJ's to get a few things to get by with, until I can go real grocery shopping. Fresh milk, bread and the like. Not that I need much. The only thing I can get into DH is Ginger Ale and crackers. And even that takes force feeding. Took some of my frozen chicken stock out and hope he will drink that later tonight. Nice and hot.
    I am sterilizing everything in the DW and my hands are raw from washing them. I just don't want to get sick. I can't afford it; it always turn into something major.
    Did I tell you I brought back 18 pounds of Texas grapefruits? Came in a huge bag for $7. There were 29 all together. That is 24 cents  piece. Juiced 3 of them this morning; they are almost as sweet as oranges. I had room in my suitcase, and with inginuity, I didn't get over the alloved 50 pounds. Had to take a couple of tops and a pair of jeans out and put in my carry-on.

tt, re posting. Don't you dare to disappear. I think one problem might be, that some of us have known each other "in ages" (and btw. the "first" post date doesn't count. When BDC changed the format some years back, some of the posters got new "first" dates) and the newer posters may find it boring, when we talk history. Who the heck will know, who GT is or how he got that name, or who BH or PB sons are. And who will know about the misery Charles caused Cheerio, unless you heard the stories right along. Personally, when you mention lunch dates with your cousin or one of your friends, I see in my mind the stores the two of you do your browsing in. So please don't change anything. Some of us love you here. I once called you the Grand Dame of the Chat. You still are.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That was a sweet post, Pingo.  I don't have any intention of disappearing or not posting any more - I'm addicted!  But, I have put a post-it on the screen that says, "Do not post unless you have something interesting to say, or a relevant reply to another's post."  So, if I stick to that, there will be less daily posts from me. Trouble is, a lot of what I do post I think is interesting!

How is your DH tonight?  Some of those meds can really upset your stomach.  Is he running a temp?  Lots of fluids seem to be the only thing most of us can hold down with this "cold".  So glad he made it home before it got to this point - would have been terrible to be this sick on the plane.  Lucky you have each other to look out for and take of one another.

Goodnight.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I just caught the end of As the World turns but I must say...I loved Lisa...She ran the hotel?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

DH is better, tt. Thank you for asking. The new meds do not seem to bother him. At least for now. I am drenching him in ginger ale, and he just had bowl of my home made chicken soup with 1/2 bagel w/ cheese. He also slept the entire day and don't feel warm any longer. So I guess, we are on the right track.

I wish you would remove that stupid "post-it" note. Everything you write about may not be Earth scattering, but it is still you and interesting for us, who know you. If you have to constrain yourself, the words will not flow, and it won't be tt tooting her toytrumpet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, good morning.  I have to post to tell you, Pingo, you gave me my first early morning chuckle of the day - - -"tt tooting her toytrumpet" !  Quite a way with words, you have, my dear.

After all the winds of the past few days, it's eerily still this morning.  Looking out the window I see that all those winds didn't blow away the last of the trash from next door that got caught up in my plantings - drats!  Suppose today I'll go out again, hands bagged, to pick up the last of it.

Hope DH is feeling a lot better this morning, Pingo.  Supposedly last night at 11:00 on BZ they were telling things (other than hand washing and chicken soup (lol)) that would help prevent catching these colds that are going around.  Don't know why they save all that stuff for the 11:00 news, 7:00 a.m. would be better for a lot of people.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good morning all, Hope all is well with everyone.  Winter and Icer, thanks for the kind words, I will go to Foxwoods next month, may come home a winner....I really don't care I just love getting out and chatting with all my friends on the bus and when we play Bingo.....I have lots of friends who go to Bingo 3 and 4 nites a week, I only go once a month at Foxwoods so I really look forward to it.

Icer, think of you and your cakes often, wonder why you and Honey aren't plump!!  I would eat cake (especially chocolate) all day!!

Hats, I was a soap opera junkie....started with the radio, then the TV for 15 min in the late 50's, I watched The Guiding Light and As the World Turns faithfully.....as the years went by and I started working, I taped the shows and watched them at night....was so upset when they went off the air.  I have two huge books about The Guiding Light and I re-read them often.  Loved Reva on GL, hated Roger on ATWT's.....also John who was married to Kim who was Bobs wife at one time.  Pingo, glad you had a good (warm) trip and are now home safely, keep doctoring DH and he will feel good as new in no time.

Have to go and do a wee bit of shopping, sales prices coupled with my coupons, hate this weather, its soooo cold out. 

Take care all and Keep Smiling, ss 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Just came in from filling the feeder. The sun is cheating. It is cold out there. Guess we are going to have a bit of snow too. Phil didn't see his shadow, so we are supposed to get an early Spring. I will root for that.
    Got most of the travel laundry out of the way yesterday. Still have a couple of loads to do. We usually dump the contents of our suitcases in the laundry room; then I go from there. I can't put anything back in the closet or the shelves, that left the house. So I wash everything.
    DH is feeling much better this morning. The new meds suits him much better, and we both had a good nights sleep. He still have a bad cough, but he is up and ready and want to take a ride to our office. We haven't been there for two weeks, so he is anxious to go and check things out. I will go and check my inbox. It must be overflowing.
    Have a good day and try to stay warm.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Brrrr is right!  Got up to the house being 62...great while you're under the covers, not so much when you get up!  The fire has thawed us out. :)

Pingo, welcome home!  And, congrats on the 10 lb badge!!!!  Onward and downward. :)  I'll check out the LoseIt thread.  Too bad DH is sick with a bad cold.  I wonder why he is on antibiotics at all...as a preventative for pnumonia?  Odd since a cold is a virus and he's got a sensitivity to antibiotics, but the doc must have his reasons.

Sunny here, but cold for sure.  DH is out hiking with Gracie as there is finally no more snow here in the hills.  He's bemoaning the snow loss along with all the snow mobiliing neighbors.

Had a lovely day yesterday - my friend from town came over and we braved the cold for our regular 4 mile walk and then had tea upon our return.

Gracie got sick yesterday right after she swallowed her heart worm preventative so I had to fish it out of the disgusting goo and feed it to her, again.  YUCK!  Good thing the washer part had been returned - she puuked on her bed cover.  She seems fine today - not sure what got into her.

tt, take down that post it. :)

I've been a lazy bones today.  Still in my PJs, and kitchen still a mess from breakfast.  I better get moving before DH comes home from hiking for miles in the cold only to find me right where he left me, lol.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

~kar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came back from checking the office. DH didn't even take off his coat. Just took a look around, and then we left. That shows, he is definitely not well.
    Kar, the doc gave him antibiotics to hopefully prevent pneumonia; he has a very deep chest cough.
    Stopped at Costco to pick up some meds I had called in for myself. Peter was the only one there. When he saw me, he went right inside and picked them up w/o asking me my name. Not good. That shows, I come there too often. LOL
    Costco was mobbed. Looking in their carts, it was quite obvious, people were picking up food for Super Bowl parties. DH and I are not going to party much tmw. Will most likely not even watch the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

Just came back from checking the office. DH didn't even take off his coat. Just took a look around, and then we left. That shows, he is definitely not well.
    Kar, the doc gave him antibiotics to hopefully prevent pneumonia; he has a very deep chest cough.
    Stopped at Costco to pick up some meds I had called in for myself. Peter was the only one there. When he saw me, he went right inside and picked them up w/o asking me my name. Not good. That shows, I come there too often. LOL
    Costco was mobbed. Looking in their carts, it was quite obvious, people were picking up food for Super Bowl parties. DH and I are not going to party much tmw. Will most likely not even watch the game.

Too bad DH felt the need to go out in this frigid cold.  I stepped out to fill the feeder, and was glad I had found things to do inside - one of which was Winter's banana bread.  Emailed the recipe to GD, telling her I had had many banana bread recipes over the years, but that this one was the easiest, and was good.

Funny about your instant recognition at Costco - a bit scarey, isn't it!  lol

I'm with you in that I won't be watching the game tomorrow either.  Have been scrolling the TV stations at night, and found another good movie last night, "The Station Master", I think it was called.  A dwarf takes up residence in an old train station ticket office, seeking to be alone.  Very good, but can't remember what channel it was on, encore or one of those.  Another that is good to watch for is "The Family that Preys" - with Kathy Bates.  Have seen that a couple of times, it's very good. (and "Preys" is the correct spelling in this case)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We aren't watching it, either.  Saw lots of party food in other people's carts, like you did, Pingo.  DH is not a sports fan; I tell him big sports news so he won't be the only one who doesn't know at work, but I don't really care, either.

sounds like a nice creepy one, tt, right up our alley.  Will look for it in netflix.

dh is splitting wood, and I'm cleaning out the fridge with DDD on the food network on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Google it and it will give you an idea - not creepy, two families who lives are entertwined - one rich, one working class.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

We went to BJs today (right at 9 when they opened) and it wasn't busy - i was shocked.  We wont be watching the game either, I am not a football fan.  We are thinking of switching back to Costco. 

I agree - TT, take down that Post-It!

Went out with Mom today and had a nice time as always.

Heard from Tillie's new family - they aboslutely adore her!  So happy things are working out.  Spencer is so happy - just like a puppy again.  He gets his stiches and staples out on Tues, so things are looking up.

Stay warm today!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Such good news about Tillie's new home, and about Spencer.  Funny how that sort of fell into your lap - you were searching for just the right home, and seems as tho you found it - or - it found you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lol, sounded like a family that preys on something.  I'll check it out.

Prin, you must be so relieved.  How is work and your health going?

I bought the Sam Adams "Spring Thaw" variety pack today!  CHEERS to Spring coming soon!!!

...in the meantime, stay warm. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    Where is everyone? Was surprised to see everything white out. I knew, we were going to have a dusting, but it still surprised me. I am hoping the rest of the winter will be like last year.

Happy to hear Tillie is doing well in her new home, Princess. Must be a relief for you. Too bad dogs can't tell you their feelings, so Spencer could have told you, he wasn't fond of Tillie.
    Have never been a member of BJ's. Went there once a long time ago with a friend just to see, what it was like. Didn't find it any different from Costco, which I was already member of. So I never thought of switching. I like Costco. Especially their pharmacy. Can't beat their prices anywhere. Used the mail pharmacy, our insurance offers. They charged less than retail pharmacies, but Costco charges 30% less than that. Their meat department is excellent too. Only problem is, one has to buy in bulk. Often too much for 2 people never mind one person. But I split it up and freeze it. I am missing Sam's. Remember that one? They had some nice items and brands, Costco don't carry.
    Not much going on here today. DH is getting better and I am still holding my own (re his cold). He has left the crackers for real food. Had blueberry pancakes for breakfast. So that is a good sign.
    As I am looking out the window here, the snow is falling in huge flakes. Good day to stay in. Have a good one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Glad to hear DH is on the mend Pingo.  Yeah, we used to belong to Costco, and then changed to BJs for a change.  I like that they have named brand items, but the Costo Kirkland brand is also good.  We do the same, being only 2 of us, where we break everything down and freeze it.  We do really save a lot in the long run.

Not much going on today.  DH is burning brush in the yard, an I am doing laundry, bills, etc.  Nice quiet Sunday!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, guys,

not much going on here, either...sigh.  Made an excellent chicken, rice, veggie soup with some leftover brown rice said.  Yummy!  DH is out ice fishing with the buddy he went with last Sunday.  We are avoiding the SB, but we were invited to SIL's for a super feed.  I'd have to make up for that for three weeks, and dh didn't want to be out late tonight so we bagged it.  Gracie is sacked out in front of the stove having hiked for miles with dh this morning.  

I'm going to be under budget this week for calories so that will help going into next week if lunch plans come to fruition next week.

flurrying here, and cold...I better get more wood from the garage...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ice fishing? Is the ice thick enough for that? It was just so warm last week. Does he catch anything, or is it just for socializing. Umm! Fresh caught fish makes me homesick. Would "die" for one of your DH's fresh caught fish. I love the fresh fish smell, when I dress them. So different from the stuff available at grocery stores. Even fish markets.
    Am marinating chicken wings. A new recipe. Sweet and spicy. Bought them for the last Pat's game, but didn' eat them, so I froze them. Got them at TJ's and they are huge. Whether we watch the SB (doubt it) or not, I am going to serve them anyway with a quinoa salad.
    Just spent several hours to take care of all my plants. For the larger ones I have a self invented watering set up for, so they were all fine. But the smaller ones really needed some TLC. My orchids are all fine; they don't need much water this time of the year. My Lady Slipper is finally in full bloom. Have now been watching it develop for 3 months. And several of my mini orchids are showing signs of spikes, that will bloom in a few weeks. All my pointsetters are doing exceptionally well. I am getting a bit tired of them though and anxious to get some Spring flowers - like Hyacinths, crocus or daffodils. But I can't part with them. At least not right now; they are looking gorgeous.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello ladies,

Busy day getting this and that done around here, and a couple of long phone calls that were overdue.

Made a sauce and just now put it and some previously sauteed chicken tenders over rice in the oven to heat.

Caught a strange movie on Sundance, kept running back and forth to watch it.  Left you wondering.

We've had a light flurry of snow most of the day, but nothing that is mounting up.

Glad to hear your husband is doing much better, Pingo.

P.S.  Cheerio has slept most of the day under the coverlet in here - so once again she is sleeping right past her usual supper time of 4:00!  My getting the stuff ready for the oven didn't even wake her.

Sections
Shortcuts