February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: February 2013

Replying to my own question - I think the phrase is:  Inquiring minds want to know.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Pingo, Thank You (indirectly) for th tip regarding the citrus peels on the soil to keep cats away, my neighbors have cats and for some reason their cats seem to think my back (way back thank goodness) yarde is their personal outhouse.....will try your suggestion!!

Years ago when my German Shepherd had arthritis, I would take him to a vet in Malden who have him a cotizone shot (5.00) when my friend pulled up outside, Princess went balistc, she couldn't get to the door fast enuf.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Hope this is it for Yoda, and he is feeling a lot better. Did you see any more blood, Winter? Re his food. When our son's cat had a problem and needed special food, they started off with what their vet prescribed and sold them. But is was so expensive. So they found it on the net and now buy it in cases for less than half of what the vet charges. Both the canned food as well as the kibbles. They get it through Amazon. Being Prime members, they don't pay any shipping. Even if they had to pay for the shipping, it would still cost a lot less.
    You are right, tt, I must have had strawberries on my mind. It clearly reads cranberries. LOL Did you start the "War Brides" yet? I am 1/3 through it on my kindle. I think you will like it.
    Planning for the snow, I took my Christmas ham bone out of the freezer this morning. Will make a nice pea soup Friday. That should last us for the weekend. I am planning on using yellow split peas this time instead of the green ones. That is what my mother always used. I am drooling just thinking of it.
    I too hope the snow goes out to sea, Princess. But if it does materialize, at least it was kind enought to select a weekend, so we (and the authorities) have two days to clean up. It is so messy, when it falls mid week, when everyone has to go to work. I do realize, some people still work Saturday and Sunday, but there will be a lot less people on the roads.
    You can try the peels outside, ss, but you have to keep changing them. They only work, when fresh. When the oil dries out, they don't work any longer. Maybe you can just spray instead with diluted Orange Oil. I bought mine at HD.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

How did you happen to start reading "War Brides", Pingo.  That's quite a coincidence.  No, I'm finishing off "The Art of Mixing" so it can be returned next week.  "War Brides", being an older book has 3 weeks borrowing time on it, I believe.

Got an acknowledgement of my email from G.T., but it's while he is sitting in the dentist's waiting room - ugh!  He'll be back in the office this afternoon, so my question re whether or not Desmond does this on a regular basis or just when they say, "What's that?  Go get the mail", type of thing, will be answered then I'm sure.

Letting the sun melt as much as it can off the car and stairs before I go out to finish the job.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Funny, but my dog's food (Royal Canin SO) is a lot cheaper at the vet's office than at Amazon!

I had a cc fraud incident at Amazon so I try not to use them if I can help it.

I guess it's best to shop around and compare prices, but you need a vets prescription anyway, no matter where you buy it.  They call your vets office to confirm.

The right diet is crucial for prevention,  you can either pay now, or pay later in veterinary bills.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I got it a while ago from my free kindle's lender's library, but didn't start on it until recently. I was trying to get through 11/22/63. Everyone was raving about that one here, but I don't care for it much. So I read other books in between. I read the description, and I thought I would like it, which I do.

Sorry, you had problems with Amazon, Robin. That would make me stop using them too. I use it all the time, and so far, I have had no problems. I am on my son's Prime membership, and therefore don't have to pay shipping either way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Finally, sitting down.  Ran out this morning to Toomey's to pick up slacks I had left to be shortened, then to get a haircut, to the bank, gas up, and S&S.  Got home and the brown bag of valentines I had bought as part of my order, weren't there.  Just ran back up and someone had turned them in to the front desk - very lucky for me.  When I went out it was gorgeous, but now a wind has picked up and dark clouds are in parts of town.

Pingo, I think that is so funny that you and I should both be reading War Brides at the same time.  I'll let you know how I like it, but I'm sure I will because I loved "The Land Girls" which is about young women working the fields in England during the war.

Again, I hit the grocery store at lunchtime, so again, picked up three times as much as what was on my list!  Going to pause in a minute or two and have a slice of apple pie with some French vanilla ice cream on it - with a cuppa.  -- Don't read that you ladies who are on the weight loss program!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

From G.T. re his mail fetching cat:

We find that if he loses all of his toys under a couch or piece of furniture, he plays with the mail.  If he has lots of toys to play with, he will leave the mail alone. I think every couch and radiator cover has a toy or two under it. He will play fetch forever, up and down the stairs, until I give up and am sick of throwing the toy.

If I could only train him to throw the junk mail in the trash!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I would still consider using Amazon if there was an item I really needed and couldn't get it elsewhere.

The Amazon Forum  customer discussions has over 1000 comments under credit card fraud, so I'm not the only one. 

I did not enjoy being on the phone for 2-3 hours with my cc company and Amazon,  btw Amazon admitted this happens on their site, cc numbers get hijacked.

Most people don't check their cc transactions daily and aren't even aware of it.

I buy stuff online all the time,   (Amazon) is only site this ever happened to me on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Apple pie and ice cream sounds divine, tt, and I count calories not avoid all the good ones, lol.  Although, I'm saving up for tomorrow's lunch East that will prove to be an over budget day!

I've been cleaning the kitchen from top to bottom - drawers, reorgs, cabinets, everything.  Been doing that since 11:30.  Now, speaking of food, I'm starved.  Ate lunch at 11 before I started the overhaul.

Gracie's been neglected all day...I should wolf something down and take her for her walk.  I'm loving the longer days.  No need to cook dinner tonight; DH won't be home. 

Been flurrying here all day despite the sun...pretty.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, love the post about Desmond. We have lots of "lost" cat toys as well. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just woke up from a little snooze.  Find with this higher med dose, I tend to catnap for a half hour or so afternoons if I sit down.  Hasn't seemed to effect my energy, so that's good.

Kargiver, you're in a spring cleaning mode!  I love to clean out drawers, but that mood only hits me certain times, and then I'll be at it for a couple of days.  Too bad you and Gracie didn't walk this morning, that was really warmer and nicer - at least here.

Picked up another nice looking pkg of stew meat, enough again to make both a stew and small stroganoff for myself.  If our luncheon plans for Friday get cancelled because of a storm, that's what I'll be cooking. Got a small chicken pie too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@Winter, AngellVet just answered a question about a cat with FUS.

14 year Himmy Feline with Feline Urinary Syndrome

posted at 2/4/2013 1:22 PM EST

• dmuva
    • First: 2/4/2013
    • Last: 2/4/2013

My 14 year old feline Shakespeare had a urinary blockage at age 10 month (July 1999), he was subsequently given up for adoption a couple of months later and I because its second owner. My vet did not put him on a special diet.

In Oct 2008, Shakespeare again was hospitalized with a blockage. Since that time he was put on a special diet Royal Canin Dry & Royal Canin wet. He no longer likes the canned version of the food, but he still loves the Royal Canin Dry. He drinks lots of water and I also give him a small amount of canned Fancy Feast (which he likes a bit).

Is there anything else I should do? I recently lost his litter mate to complications related to chronic renal failure.

• Re: 14 year Himmy Feline with Feline Urinary Syndrome

posted at 2/6/2013 4:32 PM EST

Hi Dmuva,

This is a tough one to try and diagnose via the forum. It's unclear to me if Shakespeare is still experiencing symptoms since the last episode in 2008. If he's not, then you may want to stick with what's working. There are other very good canned urinary diets such as Hills C/D or W/D that we typically prescribe in similar cases. You may try those if the RC stuff is no longer of interest to him.

Water consumption is super key here and it looks like you've got that covered. as Hills C/D or w/d as well

It sounds like you're doing what you can to manage his symptoms, which is wonderful.

Dr. Joel Kaye, Angell Animal Medical Center

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ended up not walking at all - migraine. :(  Was hoping to at least play fetch awhile, but no go.  A little better now.  Crackers and soda was not what I was planning to have for dinner...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Crackers, soda, Excedrin Migraine, Dramamine and a great night's sleep and I'm feeling pretty decent this morning.  After my coffee I'll probably be 100%.  Good thing because after two weeks of his having to postpone, I'd hate to have to be the one this week to push lunch off.

Brrr!  It's only 10 out, and an average morning temp of 63 in here.  Good thing I forced myself to get a big fire set up to go all night before I went to bed.  I literally had to lie on the floor an hour to watch it before I could actually turn in.  (Certain conditions have to be met before I can turn on the catalytic converter so it burns really slowly all night.)

Got the fire going, and Gracie is curled up in front of it.  Time to put the coffee on.  I'll walk Gracie  before I leave so she'll be comfy in her crate while I'm away.

Won't be home 'til about 2:30, and I have a bunch of things I missed out on doing yesterday due to the migraine before DH gets home.  And, there's nothing ready to throw together for dinner so I might not be around here for awhile.

have a great day - ready for the SNOW?!

~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Sorry for your migraine yesterday, but glad you are feeling better today.  You seem to be having them a lot more frequently lately, or am I wrong in that?  Lucky that your lunch is for today - we ended up cancelling ours for tomorrow.  Decided it wouldn't be very relaxing to be sitting there eating and chatting and all the time a part of us wondering what it was doing outside.  It all depends on which forecast you listen to - now this morning I heard that it won't really get started as snow here until evening.  I myself, would have waited until the morning to make a decision, but the other girls got on the emails last night, so - - -

Sun is out, it's trash day, there's no wind, so shouldn't be any problem like there was last week with neighbor's trash being scattered all over the neighborhood.  I've got to get mine out there tho, so I'll check in later.  Have a good lunch, Kargiver, enjoy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good morning all, Kar hope your lunch is a blast..Winter, Hows Yoga doing? I was talking to my Florida cousin last night, we had a good time remembering the blizzard og 78....she was stuck for over 8 hrs on 128!!  Then had to walk and spend the nite in a shoe place in Canton....she told me to have DD gas up the car and start driving, beat the storm and get to her place.....the snow is what prompted her to move to Florida (altho she loved and misses the different seasons) one year after her husband had passed, she had to shovel 4 times in one week!!

Time to get dressed and do my Friday chores today...bank, shopping, etc.... Pingo, thanks for tip on the Orange Oil, I live near Lowes, will drip in there and see if they sell it.  Take care all and Keep Smiling, ss

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morinng everyone. Thanks for asking about Yoda, ss. He didn't use the tub at all yesterday and the litter box looks norma, so I think he's not in pain anymore. 

Snow should be interesting, we'll see what happens. The only real memory I have of the Blizzard of '78 (I was 6) is that my parents took me out and the snow was taller then me :) I remember have many days off of school and sleding. Also my dad worked for the city and he was gone and working for days.

Too bad your lunch was cancelled tt, but you beef stew will certaintly lit the spot. Kar, have a great day out East. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My memories of the blizzard of '78 are mostly fun - roughing it - with the constant dripping of the leaks in the ceiling tossed in.  The fun part was me and the boys pulling a sled down to a grocery store (when it opened) and picking up necessities (no cars allowed on streets still)  - meeting other families my kids went to school with, along the way.  The leaking roof proved a mystery for years and many roofers.  Previous owners swore they had never had a leak.  What they had done was put a dormer on (incorrectly) before selling it to us, and it wasn't until the third roofing experience some 20 years later that that was discovered and remedied. - Nooo, I don't want another blizzard.  Then, I had 4 boys to make it seem fun and an adventure.  Now, living alone here, I'd have a hard time finding the fun in it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT What about going to stay with in town son for a day or two?  Do you have a radio and batteries?   To me that is the most important thing - not to be trapped without information.   I have candles and lanterns and matches handy.   I burned up all my wood last weekend though...wonder if I should get some more.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

If we lose power we won't have heat except for a wood burning fireplace, which doesn't let off much heat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    So are we prepared for a Blizzard? Lots of different weather models, but I doubt we will avoid the snow, this time. Looks like Friday daytime will be ok.
    Do you still have to travel, Hats?
    Sorry to hear you had a migraine yesterday, Kar. Good, you are feeling better so you could keep your luncheon appointment. Enjoy your trip out East.
    Getting ready to leave for the office. May have to stay late, as I am planning to take off tmw. I haven't really gotten back to "normal" at home after my trip and nursing DH. Need to get everything in order again, and the weekend will be good for that. Especially if we will be house bound due to the storm.
    Like everyone else, I am hoping the stormwill go out to sea, but according to the wise, that won't happen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

No travel for me, everything has been put on hold because of the snow forecast. So I renewed a prescription this am and went to the library.  I looked up the War Brides book and as I thought, I have read it.  You made me want to read some WWII based fiction so I got out one of my favorites - two actually - the first two volumes of the Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard.  The Light Years and Marking Time.  Highly recommend to those who like WWII fiction.

So I will be at home this weekend.  We too will not have heat in case of snow.  So, I will fill my carafes with hot water so we can make tea, and renew it each night before bed in case there's no power when I get up.  I will make sure all the candles and lanterns are prepared,   I bought large wood for fuel, I have tinder and kindling under cover already.  Matches are at the ready, radio is still prepared because of Sandy, going to bake today,  I will be making spaghetti sauce tomorrow am and leaving it in the pan on warm.   Bagels, butter, jam, cream cheese and peanut butter at the ready for cold meals (we'll eat the cold cuts first.)   After the storm is past we might be able to get to the gas grill but that would take some shoveling.  Wonder if we should move it tonight.  Will ask DH later.  He will be working at home tomorrow so I won't have to worry about him being stuck in traffic.  I feel ready, how about you guys?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well your post, Hats, sounds like one of those "war brides" - - at the ready during the war!  Said to my son today that I really have to get out of the dark ages and get myself a cell phone.  If I should lose all power, including heat, noone would know it (family-wise) because we wouldn't be able to reach each other.

I did run out this morning, did find those teenage valentines, bought a variety of candy to make up valentine candy bags, a book for pumpkin, and another for the teenage GGD who is into reading.  Now I'm faced with the awkward task of emailing her mother to see if she did get the book I had sent from B&N.  Their tracking mail tells me it was delivered Sat.  I have not heard.  I would like to pick up books I see on sale, I seem to come across many, and have her email me a list of authors/books she would like to read.  But, I also want a "thank you, Nana". Here I go, sending email and see what her mother replies.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

You are such a great Nana, tt. So the office is closing at 1 tomorrow. School hasn't been cancelled yet, so we'll play that by ear.