February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: February 2013

Dh got out all right. No one on the roads, and they are passable. But he is now stuck in the office driveway. Like I said, not a good morning at the Pingo household.
    The top snow is light, but the bottom is heavy. So be extra careful, when you shovel.
    I have a foot and a half of snow up my kitchen slider, so I have not been able to open it. Fortunately, I filled the feeder yesterday. But the Juncos don't like the feeder, so i usually throw them a cup of seed on the deck. They are looking in vain this morning. Stupid birds, there is lot of food up there, just go and get it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Saw my first plow at 9:07 so the state roads are being plowed now.  Maybe they were taking some time off which one could understand of course since they started at 4 pm yesterday. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

We got 24 inches  . . .can you believe it?  Went out and shoveled the stairs on our back deck, did the 2 front porches and stairs, whew.  Still have to finish the back deck and MIL's back deck and - argh.  There is so much there is no where to put it.  DH is out doing the driveway.  I had to take a break.

Saw a couple of cars drive by - but other than that it's very quiet.  No cars or planes (I'm right next to the AFB).

We sent Spencer out through the basement, under the eaves and then under the back deck to do his "buisiness."  He was so happy, lol. 

Mom is hanging in there, I think she's a bit depressed because she won't get any visitors today, but if things clear up I will try to at least stop by to see her tomorrow.  Luckily she has her beloved cat ("Sweetie" to keep her company).  I am also hoping the staff at her place will at least have Bingo or something to entertain them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

honey and the neighborhood men ae all out doin the drveways in tandem. he is very angry that his snowthrower busted a belt...I usually shovel while he does the snow thing but I stay out of it when the men convene....it just feels like an ovary free zone

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Smiled at the route you mapped out for Spencer, Princess.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This is a true neighborhood day. But I guess the tradition is no longer here, except for Icer's neighborhood. We used to get together and help each other. The men were doing the driveways one by one, while the women cooked up some neighborhood potluck. Then we would all get together and have a feast of whatever was put on the table to celebrate work well done. It was always such a mix-match. One never knew, what to expect. We had one elderly couple, we all took good care of, and we usually gathered at their place. They loved it, and were actually looking forward to it. They would be the first ones to call around. "Are we having a potluck today?" We had a lot of fun, and the storms didn't feel so bad. Oh, those good days.
    No one is on my street today. Probably waiting to have the storm stop.
    Words from DH. The snowplow hit the gas line!!! He is now trying to board up the broken doors. Nothing is open, so he cannot get the surplies, he needs. What a day; please wish him luck.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just went out with my little kid's shovel and cleared down at least a foot so I could trudge through the rest over to the birdfeeder.  I had filled it to the brim before the storm, but the snow seemed to have frozen over the slots where the seed comes out, and the birds were flying away without being able to eat.  That little shovel has been the best $5.99 investment I've made.  It's great and does a man-size job.  Bought it at S&S.  Reached over and gave the feeder a couple of good whacks, dislodging the whole bar they sit on, which I couldn't then manage to force back in the end ridges.  At least the feeder tray was cleaned off, so I came in to watch and see what would happen.  They're managing.  They sit on the sides and are loosening the frozen seed, which in turn is letting juncos feed on the seed that falls on the ground underneath.  My beautiful male cardinal shows up gorgeously against the white background. --  My good turn for the day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just saw your post when mine came up, Pingo.  The snowplow you hire or the town snowplow hit the gas line?  Hope there is someone there to help your husband.  Seems as tho the town fire dept would be able to help him get some wood to board up where they had to break in.  What a mess to have to deal with in the midst of a blizzard.  Too bad you didn't live closer, there might be something from your basement he could use.  Men always have their supply of this and that stored somewhere.  Wishing him the best, to be sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, tt. We need all the best wishes, we can get today. It was the snowplow, we hire and pay. Such an idiot. The pipes are so well marked. And now, the plower told DH, he had sent someone else to plow last night. No one wants to take the blame. Thanks for the suggestion re the fire dept. Will let DH know, in case he hasn't already thought about it. They should be able to help him w/ something. If not them, maybe the police dept. They cover buildings all the time.
    I used to have one of thos little shovels too. It was great. I used it to clear the path to my feeder on the deck and to do the front steps. But can't find it now. Will put another one on my shopping list.
    Don't know, where our cardinals have gone. Haven't seen thim in quite a while.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What's the latest on your place of work, Pingo?

Watching the guy next door - tried to back his car right out over the snow (idiot) and of course got caught up on snow bank from street plow, now shoveling out under his car, throwing it all on my driveway - -  I know his figuring is that my plow guy will plow it when he comes back, but actually it is too high now without shoveling first.  "Love thy neighbor" -

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Tt, you should tell him not to do that. So the wets went out and they did half, they will finish the other half a bit later.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

He called his son to come to help get his car out, and when that was done the son plowed his driveway and mine.  So that problem is taken care of, now if I could just get out my front door - - - -  I know sooner or later my guy will be around.  In case of emergency I can get out my back door - to go nowhere except to the birdfeeder or into a snowbank, but at least I could get out!

Headline:  "Elderly lady housebound by storm, manages to get out the back door, and is last seen shoveling towards the driveway, with a child's red shovel"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm enjoying War Wives, Pingo.  At the spot where Bruno's wife and baby are being sent to live in an English house in the country.  I have a little trouble keeping all the women straight in my mind, but still find it interesting and moving right along with the times of the War.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Tt, I can just picture you digging a path to your car with the little red shovel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Dh finally came back. Long, long day for him. He is p00ped. The building is secure, and the gas meter is replaced. Fortunately for us, the guy had hit the pipe before the meter, or we would have had an astronomical gas bill. The gas just fizzled out in the air. Thanks for asking, tt. Now come the replacement of doors etc. One of our guys came all the way from NH bringing his tools to help him. DH had plywood, but no tools.
    I also had trouble in the beginning to keep all the ladies apart. But I am enjoying the book and the descriptions of the English country side and way of life. Will hopefully get time to read tonight. I know, DH will go to bed early.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I just was watching the news and one guy stated that he had just finished shoeling his car out...only to find it was not hs car....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo glad someone came to help your DH, what a great employee. DH has just finished half the driveway, one car. He said he'll tackle the rest tomorrow. Icer I'd be so mad if it wasn't my car after I shoveled all day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We shoveled for 3 hours and we are not yet half done.  We'll get it done, though.  Two more stints tomorrow.  I'm glad I cooked yesterday so we have leftovers.  And I was able to take a hot shower and put on really warm pajamas - as long as we don't lose power I can take it.

Pingo, just keep saying, it could be worse.  No one is hurt - maybe hurting from nailing and shoveling, but not seriously hurt.  It was a bad storm, but getting people home and off the streets was the right thing to do. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My plow guy just came and cleaned up everything for me, including getting my front door open.  Said they had been out plowing straight since last night and were headed home to bed now.

Pingo, I'm reading again.  She really is a good writer.  Moves right along with the war conflicts that were evolving, and obviously with the character descriptions - you don't want to put the book down for long.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, Winter. We are blessed. DH was falling alseep, while eating. I picked up the house, and will now go to bed with my kindle.
    What a day, but like Hats says, "It could have been worse!"
    Nighty night!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT is the book you are reading "War Brides" by Lois Battle or something else?  It sounds to be up my alley.

Sweet dreams all.  Exceptionally cold night in store so stay warm!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, it's "War Brides" by Helen Bryan. You will like it, I am sure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Hats, the book is by Helen Bryan (2007).  I'm 3/4 through it and may just finish it off today.  The further I get into it, the better it is.  Is that the one you had already read?

Up into the 30's today, that will feel good.  If the snow hasn't hardened too much, will try to clear off my bulkhead.  If I don't, when the melt comes it will run right down into my cellar.  A few cars going by this morning, those out early for their DD coffee.

Hope everyone can finish today's shoveling slow and easy.  Stay safe.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

No. the one I had read was by Lois Battle so I will look for the Helen Bryan one.  My library did not have it so I will have to get it via ILL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you had enough troubles for all of us combined!! So sorry for your day, but thankful it all worked out, and you have today to rest up.

not much happening here, but we got about 30" so there's still more shoveling and plowing to do. DH and I may go cc skiing this afternoon, but I'll have to take Gracie for a walk before then because the snow is too deep for her to go with us where it's not taken care of.

SIL and hubby (young adult kids, too?) might come by to snowmobile...not sure how that would fit in with the skiing, but I'm flexible and don't really care, actually.  I'll get my exercise either way. :)

gorgeous out with the bright sun.  deep snow doesn't do much for my mood...I feel claustrophobic.  At least DH takes care of it in good shape and right away.

hoping eveyrone is dug out by now, safe and sound

Sections
Shortcuts