February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: February 2013

Good morning,
    Yes, it was quite a day for us yesterday, but all got taken care of even with the driving ban and all stores closed. Today we have to clean our driveway here, which we for good reasons couldn't do yesterday. We only managed to get a small path done, so DH could get out, and when he got back, he spent 45 minutes to dig himself back into the driveway. The town plows had been by, and you know, what that means. That was all he could muster last night.
    The sun is out and everything looks so pretty this morning. Still only 18 degrees here though, but no wind. Skiing sounds fun. Lots of nice snow. Snowmobiling not so much. For me at least. Have been witness to a couple of really bad accidents using snow mobiles. Be careful, Kar.
    tt, you are now far ahead of me on our book. Glad to hear it is getting better. Read a bit last night, but dosed off. Saw she has written a new book. "Sisterhood". Could it be a sequel to this one?
    Hope you all have power. How is the South Shore, ss and Icer? Have a good day everyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I tend the fire while they risk their lives for fun...snowmobiling is not for me, either, but people who grew up with them enjoy them.

shoveling the plow pile is the worst - it's packed, heavy, and dirty. :(

I just gave myself a pedicure, everything but polish.  The dry skin was getting unbearable, lol.

now, off to walk Gracie...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, Pingo.  I read The Sisterhood takes place during the Spanish Inquisition.

My intown son just came by and cleared my bulkhead and dryer vent for me.  I had already done the car.  Sent him home with peanuts, Cheerios, half a dozen blueberry muffins, and onions.  We checked the back roof, and sure enough it's a solid coat of ice.  This will be the test for the new roof - see if there are any leaks once it starts melting.

Well, I'll make a salad and a cup of Irish Breakfast tea, and then get to finishing the book.  Glad there is another waiting at the library for me to pick up.

Funny, my son told me pumpkin's mother stopped by last night and brought whoopie pies she had made (my recipe).  I asked him how they were and he said, "Good.  Taste just like yours." The torch gets passed!  lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That is so nice, tt. About the torch being passed on. Made a ham/cheese omelet for each of us (served it w/ your hot pepper relish, delicious), when DH came in from cleaning the driveway. He had a banana muffin before he went out. Didn't want to send him out to shovel with a full stomach. So now lunch is done too.
    Now wondering, what to make for dinner. Still have pea soup left, but I don't think I can excite DH with it any longer. Will freeze the rest. Will be "new" for him then. Maybe Dh will get cabin fever and take us out for pizza tonight. If not, I have a couple of possbilities. Have some ground beef I need to use. Could use it for my noodle casserole dish. Plus the freezer is full.
    Good luck w/ you roof. If you have a lot of ice on the roof, that means hot air is leaking out. The sun is out, and will hopefully melt a lot of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

we are having pizza tonight too

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Were your ears burning, Icer?  Called SS this afternoon and we were talking about you - well, really about how strange it is that you and she don't run into each other when grocery shopping.

Just heated up a bowl of stew and think that's probably all I want of that for a few days, will probably freeze the rest.  Never realize when you're making it just  how much it's making up.

Intended to do some baking this afternoon since most of my muffins went home with son, but I'm also really into War Brides and have only a couple of chapters to go.  Want to catch the news/weather whatever time that comes on to see if it's tomorrow that we're supposed to get rain, or Tuesday.  The sky here is cloud free and blue.

Did you get your cross country skiing in, Kargiver?  Didn't seem that cold out to me, especially in the sun, so seems as tho it would have been a comfortable day for it.

MM, thinking of you and wondering how you are.  Hope everything is coming along as it should.  Miss you on the boards.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hello everyone. busy day, went out looking at houses with a friend. Found out my DS doesn't have school tomorrow, so I'll need to take off. I think next year when he's older he my be able to stahim one, we'll see. Have DH piking up some baking supples, I wanted to make cookies during the blizzard Fridy, but didn't have enough supplies.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Was just catching the news/weather and saw that most of the schools seem to be closed tomorrow.  Seems wise, what with snowbanks, and parking lots and so forth.  Plus it's supposed to be a blustery/rainy day.  Just caught the end of the report.  DIL from Newton had called and I heard GGD's voice in the background, so asked if she had gotten the B&N book.  She did, and thanked me.  Told her I'll hold another book I bought until they come down, probably in a couple of weeks.  She hadn't read the latest one I bought, so she's looking forward to it, said she has almost read all of "The Fault in Our Stars".  So great for me personally, to find a teenager who enjoys reading.

I finished War Brides tonight.  Has a surprise or two in the ending, Pingo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Greetings!

just came back from a thoroughly delectable and romantic dinner out with DH for V's Day since this week looks very stressful and busy for him work wise.  I'm all dressed up and feeling spectacular.  We went cross country skiing so that undid some damage, lol.

have a fun snow day with DS, Winter.

you guys inspire me to start reading, again...

eta: I wish we could post photos - DH took a nice one of me in my dress. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, we also had our Valentine dinner out tonight since DH is busy Thursday night.  It was very nice and a change from being home for such a long time.  Tomorrow back to normal with some grocery shopping, meetings, etc.  I read two books during the blizzard, had hoped to finish more but unless someone calls with some work I should be able to get a bit done this week.

I also wish we could post photos, Pingo, I made a ham and cheese strata last week which DH quite liked, took it to work one day.  Think we'll finish it tomorrow night.  I took a photo of it because it looked very nice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!  

Hats, so nice we were both celebrating V's Day dinner last night.  We don't go out often, either, so it's truly a treat.  We went to a really nice place, and the owner/head chef brought out our food and chose my wine (at my request) to pair with the special.  Excellent.  

Ate half of it, and finished off the week at 500 calories under budget, and I have the other half for lunch today!  YAY!

And, I'm still maintaining; haven't gained an ounce since accidently falling below my original goal.  I'm buying more clothes this week.  Wore the new "Spring" down jacket I got last week yesterday while cross country skiing; it was absolutely ideal.

Speaking of skiing, you think you're in shape and then you do something NEW - OOOwwwww!  LOL, it's not that bad, but I CAN feel it in my legs. :)

The chiropractor is going to ask what I did to my shoulder...the poles were too high, and I set myself back there.

Off and running!  Have a safe Monday communte, everyone - high snow piles and freezing rain...great.

~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Kar, your dinner sounds wonderful, how nice.  I wish you could post a pic of your dress as well. 

We had a nice day yesterday, it was nice to get out and about.  The snowbanks are so high it's crazy.  Commute this morning was fine, though the streets and highways are a bit more narrow. 

TT - I'm with you, I was always taught to write a thank you note.  I even brought my thank you notes on my honeymoon so I could work on them!   I love that my niece and nephew (brother's kids) do it - but none of DH's do.  Even my Mom wrote me a thank you note for having her over for Christmas Eve, then a separate one for her gifts - maybe that's a little bit overboard, lol.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Hoping to catch the weather to see what's what today.  Don't have to go out, but do have appt. most of the rest of the week.  May just make some valentine cookies - a little early, but seeing as the rest of the week is busy -- Nice that you,  Kargiver and Hats, both had an early valentine dinner out.  I long for the photo feature to be back again too.

Downton Abbey was a jam packed episode last night.  I was sad to hear that next week's will be the season's ending.

Princess, the written thank you notes are few and far between these days, but of this younger generation, I think a phone call at least should be being taught.  GGD did say she was sorry for not calling me sooner to thank me.  If I have to give her a little nudge to let her know what is courteous, I have no hesitation doing that.  It was all done nicely, ending with the promise to keep her supplied with books she wants - when I find them on sale.  She was pleased.

Got an email last night from Cat Lady and Harry is still there morning and night, with Little Miss Fluffy Short Legs, as we call her.  She has given up trying to keep the food away from him.  He's come for 2 years now and eats what he wants - better quality than what he gets at  home, as she says.  He hasn't come up here in weeks.  Miss that little guy stretching and coming out from under the shrub.  Maybe when the warmer weather comes he'll come up to say hello.

Time to catch the weather.  Those of you at work, safe driving with those high snowbanks, and those of you at home, have fun.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Hope today doing some cleaning and i will make a roast. Tomorrow is our anniversary. I have DS so we'll do something together. DH has a meeting on Thursday, that's important so he not be home, so DS and I will celebrate. I miss the photo feature as well. It would be nice if they let us know what is going on with it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Looks like most of us survived the storm in a decent shape. As I expected, DH threw up his hands last night, "I want to get out of here!" So we went out for pizza. Not to celebrate V-day as you call it (for me V-day is something entirely different), but just to get out of the house. We will celebrate next Saturday, as DH has to attend a hearing Thursday night. Anyway, it is Valentine's Day for me everyday, but it is nice once in a while to get dressed up and go to a really nice place. I already told him NOT to get me roses. Not very romantic, I know. But I don't want him to pay the astronomical prices for flowers, just because it is a Hallmark Day.
    Would have loved to see a picture of you, Kar, with your new dress.
    I am still losing. Even though at a slower rate. But I guess it is to be expected.
    At work already. Went in w/ DH thid morning. I had to be in early for an eye doc apointment downstairs. I am glad, I did. Driving is terrible. The main roads are nice and clean, but the side roads are not, and the snowpiles are so high, one can't see anything around the corners. So unless you must go out, please don't. Hopefully some of them will melt down with the higher temperatures.
    Interesting you are sore after skiing, Kar, with all the exercising lately on your stepper and the miles you have walked. But, if you were not in shape, you would probably not have been able to move at all today.
    Back to work; chat later.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We don't "waste" on flowers, either. :)  Every day is Valentine's here, too.  As for "expecting" to lose at a slower rate, not necessarily.  You have to eat less and less to achieve the same rate of loss the lighter you get becaues it takes fewer calories to move your lighter self than your heavier self.  So, if you do the same thing you did (eat the same, exercise the same) when you started you will lose at a slower and slower rate.  As you lose, reduce your budget, and you'll lose at the same rate.

Raining here, finally.  Seems we were the last - we had snow for a long time this morning.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Glad to see everyone came through teh storm alright.  We did too. No power outage, thankfully.  That was my biggest concern now having the wee one in the house.  DH plowed 29 hours straight, came home to sleep 12 and was back at it for all of Sunday.  Said it was the worst he's ever been out in Friday night into early Saturday.  The plow guys were really thankful for the driving ban.  Wish he could have taken today off to rest, but regular work calls.

Took baby girl out "sledding" (really just me pulling her around) yesterday.  She was having a ball!  Probably felt like one of the big kids.  Good to get some fresh air in her lungs, too after two days straight in the house.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

29 hours?!  That poor guy, and work, too...how is he staying awake?  Aw, I can just imagine how much fun you and dd had in the snow.  I hope someone shot a few photos. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

November your poor DH. Sounds like you and DD had a great time. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, meant to say how nice it is that your whoppie pies have been successfully passed to the next gen. :)

winter, having a good snow day?  I thought of you and DS when I met a neighbor's 10 yo playing while I was walking Gracie.  Very well mannered young man.  Realized it was his dad I met walking their 3 little dogs about 2 months ago.

took a two hour walk (minus the 20 minutes with neighbor kid) that aside from the heavy mist was pretty pleasant.  Foggy, though - I bet visibility wasn't beyond 500 feet.  My legs were tired from the skiing, but not too bad.

Fed Gracie and washed her salt drenched feet in a bucket of warm water.  She acts tortured, but oh, well, I have to get that caustic stuff off since she refuses to wear boots.

pingo, meant to confirm that yes, that's the same violet I was going to toss. It's found it's groove here, I guess. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

He's definitely tuckered out.  Looks like lots of schools are closed tomorrow now too.  This school year will have to go late into June with the earlier hurricanes and now this storm.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, the 10 yo I was talking to was lamenting having to make up for today in June.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Tt, I was also touchdid that your woopie pies have been carried on to the next generation. I'm so happy DS has school tomorrow. He school has only had two snow days and since they allot 5 as of right now he will get out on the 17th still.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all :)

Have been holding off telling a little news because we didn't know who would be going, me or DH, and it depends on the weather (here), but looks like DH is going to Florida to visit his folks with his sister (the original plan).  We need someone here in the Winter to keep the fire going and look after Gracie.  If we were getting another big storm it would have to be me instead so he could plow and such.  I suppose we could put Gracie in the kennel for $35/day, hire someone to plow us out, and run the heat with the oil, but that would make a week in Florida very expensive when you add the plane tickets, parking, and incidental expenses down there...not an expenditure we were budgeting.

While he's gone I'm taking a vacation from the kitchen so we'll both be just as refreshed upon his return, but he'll be tan.  I'll entertain myself shopping for new clothes (which as you know I need!), and I'm hoping to get together for lunch with a friend or two East - the trips' dad being one of them; we never did connect between his work and the storm.  And, I'll be setting up the Vitamix and figuring that out, too.  Looking forward to unboxing it.

So, Thursday, someone is flying to FL.  The weather forecast is choosing DH at the moment.

Well, what's on the docket today for everyone?  Not much going on here.  Maybe I'll not wait for DH to leave before I crack open the Vitamix and get it set up.  What to do with the stand mixer I have been using (blender jar goes on top).  I don't use the blender's bowl very often so maybe it is destined for the pantry.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Happy Anniversary, Winter!  Too bad your husband has an appt. tonight, but you and DS can have a mini celebration, as you said.  My oldest son's anniversary is this Sat.  Hardly seems possible.  When he and DIL first started going together and would bring Lilly's mom here, she used to snuggle next to me in the chair, for me to read to her.  Now, she's a mom of her own, and I'm reading to her dau.