February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Re: February 2013

Congrats on yor new job Amber....liking ones job and the folks they work with is a real plus.  Your grandson should arrive just in time for Spring!!  Hopefully no snow and lots warmer days. ss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar I posted that photo just for you.....from Pinterest....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, robin, I'll check it out.  I have the surgeon's warning that she's 50% more likely to tear the other knee for having torn one ringing in my ears every time she wrestles with her buddies.  I resist the urge to forbid it - she is a dog and needs to play imo - but it's scary.

hats, I gathered that was for me.  Hilarious!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prepping/organizing the kitchen to make a place for the Vitamix.  Watched a QVC presentation on it this morning - inspiring!  The stand mixer (w/outlet for blender jar I've been using) has a nearby spot in the pantry.  Not the counter, but not upstairs, either. It shouldn't feel too bad. ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, have most everything I need gathered for the taxes.  Appt. isn't until the end of the week so I still have time to go over things one more time.

Snow has stopped, but not that wind.  Watching it blow up clouds of snow.  Probably explains why the house feels so chilly.  Not sure if this is plowable (deep enough) snowfall, hope so.  No place I have to get out to in the morning anyway, so if I'm left doing the clearing, I can do it nice and slow and easy.

Good to have your Vitamix set up, Kargiver.  I was going to say "without interruption", but then remembered Gracie is around -  has she been pestering you to go out or is she content to stay near the wood stove today?  Cheerio is so restless.  Hasn't napped at all, following me from room to room, sat looking out the kitchen window while I was going over tax stuff.  I think she's waiting for a warm body to snuggle against on the l.r. couch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sounds like a good plan, Kar, to have the Vitamix on the counter, and the standmixer near by in the pantry. You will use the Vita a lot more, when you start using it. Easy clean too. Just a couple of drops of detergent and some hot water, then a whirl, rinse and it is clean. No taking apart and put together again.
    I feel like Cheerio today, tt, restless. Haven't gotten anything done really. Just a load of laundry, which I still have to fold. Lots of telephone interuptions. Nothing important. Just friends, who are bored and want to pass time doing small talk and gossipping. I find those calls annoying.
    Not much snow in our driveway. The wind took care of it and blew away most of what we got. DH needs a new belt for his watch. Seems like a lot to use gas for, so in order to justify it, we will probably have dinner out. It is go out for dinner and pick up the belt on the way - LOL. DH wanted to go to the movies. But I talked him out of it. Not until the flu season is over.
    Spoke w/ UK son earlier. He is now thinking of joining us in TX in April. That would be nice and a nice surprise for his brother. Thinking of coming to Boston, then go with us to TX and probably stay for a week after we leave. Asked if I could stay that long too. Now the gears are spinning. Would be nice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That would be nice, Pingo, if UK son could go with you in April.  Could you stay longer, do you think?  Something to mull over and look forward to.

Just saw the people across the street both pull out of driveway easily, so maybe not a plowable amount.  I'm spoiled with him clearing the car and walk and willingly would pay for a visit today.

ETA:  Think I'll do one of those calls you find annoying - and call SS, just to pass the time and see what she's up to today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ooooooooh, this is AWESOME!!!!  I just made DH's regular breakfast shake for myself (I've gone super light today after days of sodium), and it's perfectly smooth and ice cold.  I read some reviews of Vitamix on amazon that said it heats up their smoothies, and that would have been a deal breaker.  I'm not sure what those people are doing, but this is bone chilling cold.  And, cleanup is a breeze - I had to take my blender jar all apart to clean it.  Pingo, it's everything you said it would be and more, and I've only had it out of the box an hour!

I don't care for those yippy, yappy calls, either, with nothing to say, but my friends don't, either, so it works out great, lol.  Too bad they sapped your time, Pingo.

My machine came with a huge d-ring cookbook with many categories of food.  I cannot wait to get the most out of this.  I'm suddenly not regretting a single penny spent, and it was a LOT of pennies.

ETA:  sorry, tt, in my Vitamix glee I missed your questions.  Gracie only pesters me at dinner times, lol.  She's content to snooze the day away in front of the stove until her walking collar jangles and then she's out of her skull with excitement for her walk.  I'll be leaving in 30 minutes. She hasn't interrupted me, really, since she grew out of puppyhood.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am so happy for you, Kar. It is a real work horse. I too made smoothies with a blender, that wouldn't crush ice. I had it with it, and then got this super duper machine. As you try some of the recipes, you wil find, they don't all work well. Like f.ex. making soup in them. It does get soupy and it does get hot, but the coloring is so off, that it doesn't look very appetizing. But it is a charm, when I blend soups, I have made the traditionally way. I also still use my ice cream maker for ice cream. You can do it in the Vita, but it tends to be sorbet like and melts too quickly. If you freeze it becomes solid ice. But it is fun to try, and you will after a while know, what not to use it for. Which is actually not much.
    I hope I didn't come across wrongly. Of course, I love to get phone calls from my friends. But we have several longwinded friends/aquaintances, that only calls, when they want to talk about themselves and their aches and pains and their childrens accomplishments. Or if they have some gossip to deliver, or being inquisitive of somone else's affairs. I don't enjoy those calls.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I knew what you meant, Pingo.  Did chat a bit with SS.  She's making beef stew tonight - wish we lived closer!  Told her my orange muffins would go good with.

Yah!  Plow guy is here!  Wonder if he'd like a muffin - -

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, tt. I am sure your plow guy would love a muffin. Maybe some hot something too. When we had someone doing our driveway, I used make hot chocolate for my guys in to-go cups. It is cold job, and they always appreciated it. Me think, they did a better job too. LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yup, he said they were great last time, so I gave him a baggie with 2 in it, after making sure he isn't allergic to nuts (topping).

He's doing another swipe of my driveway!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Can't bring myself to go out in this icy wind.  Was hoping it would calm down this afternoon, but it is howling still.  

There are over 20 soup recipes in the cookbook; I'll try a couple before I trash the soup functionality, but I'm glad to know your experience, Pingo.  It will be fun experimenting and getting the full use (to our taste) of the machine, but I'm thrilled already if just for the smoothies. No more stopping it and dirtying a spatula to get it to blend...that VORTEX.  I assumed wrongly that ALL blenders would be deigned to pull the food downward.

A little thoughtfulness toward laborers really does go a long way, I think, not only for their day but in the quality of their services even if their extra attention is subconscious.  We do work harder for people we like and who are kind to us, just human nature, imo.

while you're handing out muffins, tt, ahem...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry, Kargiver, that's too long a   s - t - r - e - t - c - h  !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ok, your muffins got me of my fanny. The blueberry muffins finally went in the oven. No watch belt today. It is freezing out, and the wind is brutal. DH went out to try to clean up, what the wind had left on our driveway. He came back in, "Forget it!" - whatever is there is there. It's getting warmer tomorrow and Tuesday.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for trying, tt!

I'll be joining you ladies baking tomorrow for DH's return.  Got the sprouted Ezekiel flour I ordered from amazon yesterday.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just checked with son to see if their flight was still on for tomorrow.  He laughed at me, "Of course!"  Worried about his son who had had an ear infection and also had to have a some baby teeth pulled - he laughed again.  Infection is gone, have ear plugs for swimming, tooth extraction didn't bother him, played basketball game the next day - and he himself just got a clean bill of health from dr. last week.  He's my son who had a heart attack a year and a half ago.  Sooooo, guess I have nothing to worry about - in that family at least!

I'll go throw a couple of chicken legs in the oven and enjoy them in an hour.  You'll be glad you made the blueberry muffins, Pingo.  Good comfort food in weather like this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, before I forget - on 60 minutes tonight they are interviewing the actress who plays the dowager on "Downton Abbey".  FYI for anyone who loves that program like I do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

well i had a hard day...i had what should have been a 1 hour delivery this a.m......it took 3 hours....and they postponed our valentine's dinner till 2morw...i only hope honey can make it but i am sure he has a bunch o work...they will give us our dinner in a to go fashion...but its more than that...we like to socialize too....

nice to read from everyone one...glad we all survived another weather event

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's too bad, icer.  I hope your dinner works out so you don't have to take it to go.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just checking in, before I hit the bed. Thanks, tt, for the tip on 20/20 - we are taping it and will watch it later. Had to look up the word "dowager" - LOL. Hoping your son and his family will take off tomorrow w/o any problems. Hope they are going somewhere warm.
    Sorry for your delivery problems this morning, Icer. I give you a lot of credit for braving the weather. How are you getting along w/ your health inspector these days? I think of you every time I clean my counters w/ umh!! Clorox. Too bad the dinner got postponed, but people's safety has to come first.
    I can't remember a weekend this lazy. DH and I watched a Richard Gere movie, "Double", late this afternoon. A lot better than going to the movie theater. It was ok. It was about tensions btw. CIA and FBI. Now DH is watching "Pretty Lady". We must have watched it 10 times already. I rather read my book tonight.
    Chat tomorrow. Nighty night!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

hope everyone who got snow is all cleaned up with no hassles today.

Lazy weekends are in order once in awhile or we get burned out!  I love Pretty Woman, and have seen it many times, too - priceless lines in it.

must have been very cold last night as it was 70 when I went to bed with a full, hot stove that lasted to the point that I didn't need kindling this morning, but the house is a chilly 61.  Got her loaded up right now so I can leave at 8:15 with it all set.  DH brought a mountain of wood in the garage before he left; it's still mounded up higher than usual in the trailer.

we didn't get more than a little flurry while you got your snowy mess.  The driveway is blown clean from our 3" the other day.  glad I didn't have to ask the neighbor to plow, but that plan was in place just in case.  DH will be home tomorrow so I guess we are in the clear!

got to get going for the chiropractor and grocery shopping.  I have an empty fridge except for Chinese containers and a large pizza box.  Not a good "welcome home" for him, lol.

have a great week, everyone - I'll be on later this afternoon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    15 degrees out, with a wind chill factor of zero. Yes, that is cold. I could feel it on my bathroom floor, when I stepped on it in the middle of the night. Even with the furnace blasting, and all the drapes drawn, it is diffcult to keep the temperature up in this house, when it is this cold. It was 63 this morning. But the sun is out, so it will warm up quickly. I could already feel the warmth of the sun, when I opened up the drapes this morning.
    DH went out to clear the entrance of the driveway, so we can get out. Planning to go to the office, to see if we can make up a bit for our lazy past two days. But you are right, Kar, it is much needed once in a while. We live a stressful life every day.
    Kar, I am sure you both must be anxious for your DH to return. Are you planning a special welcome dinner?
    Did your son and his family take off ok, tt? It does not look like there should be any problems at this end. But if their plane is coming from some other area with winter conditions, there could be delays. Hope all works out well for them.
    Everyone stay warm. It is supposed to heat up later in the day, and tmw. will be a warm day. Something to look forward to.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Their flight should be taking off just about now, Pingo.  Headed for sunny Atlantis.

Boy, the wind was something else last night.  I see the house across the street is missing a shutter on an upstairs window.  I probably should check mine, but don't want to go out far enough to look.

Too bad you had such a miserable delivery day, Icer, and that's louzy about the "to go" dinner.  Defeats the whole purpose of having it - the social get together.

Checked freezer for tonight's supper and ended taking out a container of beef stew.  I've really got to get some more meat this week, not a whole lot in there other than chicken legs, lasagna, and some sausage.  Defrosted the spaghetti sauce I had yesterday, so time to make up another batch of that too.  As always when I have a lot I should do around the house, deviated and pulled out my baggie of printed recipes.  Saw the oatmeal/cranraisin cookie college GS loves.  Haven't made them in months, so as long as there's the 2 cups of oatmeal in the container, I'll make up a batch of those today - fill up my empty cookie jar.

This is one of those holidays when you're not sure what's open and what's not.  Mail today?  I don't know.  Thought of it when you mentioned your chiropractor appt., Kargiver.  Don't think GT is working, haven't seen an email from him yet.  Winter?  Are you off today?

Time to pre  heat the oven and get the cookies started.  Maybe toss out some more seeds for the birds too.  Loads of them at the feeder yesterday, so I'm sure the 6 cups I put in is down.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

We will be going to Chicken bake today....They have a big fire pit outside so the guys could not use it yesterday with the blizzard like conditions.

Thank you Pingo for your compliment about my deliveries...I could not believe how folks were critical of my being late AND that their driveways and walkways were not yet taken care of...Honey and I brought a shovel but I believe we should not have to do that...and hehe about using clorox

Honey is working at home so we will go up for lunch and that will do it fo me...I need  day off

Sections
Shortcuts