February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: February 2013

Today's was a little better, Icer.  I am sick of seeing Nick and Avery ripping the clothes off each other tho.  What do you think of Max and Sharon?  No chemistry there as far as I'm concerned.  He played Jason on General Hospital for so many years, a professional killer with real issues as far as showing emotion, that I don't know if he can get out of that character.  Meanwhile Sharon goes merrily along, being the femme fatale with every new guy who comes into town. 

Devoured 4 - but wait, they were really 2 very little cut squares of brownies.  Brown and serve sausages, spinach, cranberry sauce, and brown rice with onion and soy sauce for supper.

That's the extent of my interesting posts for the day, because nothing's going on here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I have had good luck with AT&T (cellphone) I pay $120  per year or $10 a month, but I only use it for emergencies or to let someone know I am running late etc.  I always have extra time left over at the end of the year.

If you go to an AT&T Store they usually have a free or reasonably priced phone...especially if you don't need the extras and sign up for some type of plan.

PS: Get a car charger so you will have phone access during power outages (if your battery goes dead). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

All I am wanting this phone for is an emergency - car breaks down, or power goes off, so am looking for the cheapest, yet dependable one to slip in my pocketbook.  Thanks for any and all suggestions.  I do think that a no contract phone is the way to go, just don't know how to actually go about getting one, and the block of minutes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I have no phone advise...my Mother has one from some over 50 organization but she doesn't pay a lot if anything for it...i used to have her on mine but she kept washing the phone so...she had to go on her own

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

TT, check out bestbuy.com, or have your sons go to Best Buy, they have a good selection of cheap no-contract phones and they sell the cards you need to buy minutes.  Basically, you buy the phone (they have ones as low as $10-$20 for no frills) and then buy the pre-paid cards in increments of $15, $30, $45 etc.  Depending on which phone you buy and which phone service it is affiliated with (ie att, verizon, etc.) you can choose how you pay.  Options may be 15-25 cents/minute or $1.99 each day your phone is used but with unlimited minutes for those calls, etc.   If you choose to pay by the minute and you really only use the phone for emergencies, then a $15 prepaid card could last you a long time.  BEnefit of buying at bestbuy is you can easily go there when you need a new card or if there were a problem with the phone.  I second the poster who recommended buying a car charger - in an emergency like an extended power outage it would be good to have a way of charging the phone. Good luck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Don't forget, clear out the car's tailpipe before starting up your car (for any reason) after a storm.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, you got several good options as far as a cell phone is concerned. Have you (or your sons) thought of you piggy back on one of theirs? For about $9.00 you can do that being part of a family plan. We do that and share the minutes. Since I hardly ever use mine, we have plenty of left over minutes.
    I also agree for you to get a car charger. A dead cell phone is no good if you have power outages.
    Good luck w/ your phone. I am not a cell phone user and will never be one. But I do believe it is a necessity and not a luxury for us "advanced in age" ladies.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, have G.T. check Walmart as well. They have a bunch of prepaid phones, etc. AT&T has a a gophone for $20 and T Mobile seems to have one for $30. 

We actually don't use our home phone at all, and will just cancel it in March, but I think that is becoming more popular now. When my son starts high school and will be home alone, we will put him on our family plan. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, everyone, particularly Rama for spelling it out clearly to me, what's involved and how to do it.  Have copied and sent your posts on to G.T.

They were meeting people this Sunday for brunch and then planned to come down here, but with the snow prediction, I think their total plan will be rescheduled.  There's no  hurry on my part, I've been without a cell phone for years, but with possible power outages, and my ancient car, it would be wise to have one.  I woke  up from a little nap this afternoon thinking I just might buy myself a newer car - - - where'd that come from ??  !! 

ETA: And the bigger question:  How do I think I'm going to pay for it ??  !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I'd love a new car as well... I'll be headed home soon. I made brownies the other night actually, think I'll have one after dinner. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Supper for me has changed to my old comfort meal - spaghetti with a can of canned tomatoes.  Guess I need "comfort" considering even the possibility of spending all that money for a new car!  lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just heard on WBZ TV that New york Times is selling the Boston Globe and Boston.com.  Wonder what that will mean for all of us - - -  they're also selling the Worcester Times

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I read that too, and wondered the same as you, tt. Maybe it will be better for us. Boston is not going to be w/o a newspaper, and whoever buys it will hopefully be more interested in running it. The Globe was never New York Times' main interest, I believe.
    Your spaghetti w/ a can of diced tomatoes just hit the spot. Was ready to leave the office, and was just thinking, what I could get away with tonight, that was easy and didn't take time. I am beat and you came to my rescue. Have a good evenning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

we had easy comfort food, too, with frozen garden summer squash purée with sautéed mushrooms, onions, and garlic along with diced chicken thighs I baked last night.  Yum!  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning.  Pingo, we do the same RE: the phone with my MIL.  We have a family plan through Verizon and just put her on our plan.  We got the phone for free and just pay $10/mth for her phone.

TT - are you actively looking for a new car, or just wishing? (lol).  We have been looking for a "gently used" car to by for my MIL seeing her current one is pretty old.  They are pretty hard to come by (decent ones anyway).  I saw something on the news that there is somewhat of a shortage of used cars.  Strange.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I can't really afford a newer car, princess.  Mine is running OK, but just is old (a '97) and like my roof, I figure I'm pressing my luck with it - - but, like my roof, if I were to get a newer one, I run the risk of running into problems  LOL  problems I didn't have before.  Speaking of which, I'm putting a call into roofer today.  Tomorrow is supposed to be decent temps, and with the forecast of more snow, a wetter snow combination coming this week-end, seems to me tomorrow would be the day to get up there, take the siding off on the corner of the dormer and see what's going on.  Back to the car - I think people are hanging on to the ones they have, because of the uncertainty of job loss, and also the rising gas prices.  The devil you know is better than the one you don't know.

As for the family plan phone - none of my kids have offered that solution.

Slept good last night with no hip pain for a change - I think I've found the remedy - brownies!  Had another one with a glass of milk before I went to bed - lol.  You'll have to try that, Pingo!

Off for breakfast and checking my list of all I want to get done when I'm out today.  Check in later.  Have a good day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I think there are several reasons for the lack of used cars on the market.  One is the program at the beginning of the recession of 2008/9  - the tax advantages offered to people replacing older cars stipulated that the old cars that were being traded in had to be crushed not resold in order to take older, more polluting cars off the road.  So millions of cars were taken out of the market.

Another is all of these natural disasters; cars which are caught in floods (such as the Hurricane Sandy floods) are not supposed to be resold after the insurance companies pay off the dealers/owners.  Some unscrupulous dealers do not obey that rule and resell the cars to other areas of the country.  However, internet tracking of cars' VINs have made that a little harder to get away with.   After disasters is a bad time to buy a used car. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

Got DH off to a late start for a meeting offsite this morning.  Enjoyed breakfast and tea with him. :)

tt, they might not have even thought of a family share plan - I have been considering your options and didn't think of it myself.  Maybe something to suggest; I agree it's something worth looking into.

Didn't know the cars in that program had to be crushed...argh.  Buying a car is so stressful, isn't it?  New or used, it's awful, but at least with a used one you know the value doesn't plummet the moment you drive it off the lot.  That happened for someone before you. :)  We got a used car for me, the tan station wagon, if you can remember the photos with Gracie in the back.  It's a Ford Freestyle; they don't make them anymore under that name (Taurus X, now).  Highly recommend for anyone who needs passenger room whether two-footed or four.  Best wishes, tt, I know it's tough to find the tipping point regarding the car you have vs needing a replacement.

Not sure what's on the docket today.  The soup came out delicious, a relief since I used up the last of the frozen summer squash to make it.  I'll bake some potatoes; I've got a craving, and there's bacon in the fridge that recently expired I need to bake, too.

Skimped on our walk yesterday, poor Gracie, but will make up for it today.  Not sure what the weather will bring this weekend...looks like a significant snowfall expected - a foot out our way.  I'm glad DH is home to help deal with it.

Time to make my coffee and put more wood on the fire; the tea was a good warm up, but it's worn off and it's cold in here!

~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In response to princess-cal's comment:

Good morning.  Pingo, we do the same RE: the phone with my MIL.  We have a family plan through Verizon and just put her on our plan.  We got the phone for free and just pay $10/mth for her phone.

TT - are you actively looking for a new car, or just wishing? (lol).  We have been looking for a "gently used" car to by for my MIL seeing her current one is pretty old.  They are pretty hard to come by (decent ones anyway).  I saw something on the news that there is somewhat of a shortage of used cars.  Strange.

Princess Cal, with the economy the way it is, more people are keeping and fixing their older cars than buying new ones.   Lots of people rent their new cars instead of buying.  I had my last used car for 10 yrs!!  One I have now is 12yrs old, I've had it for three...hopefully this will be my last one. ss 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Yeah, I think you are all correct on the used car market.  We tend to drive relatively new cars, which I know isn't the best financial decision, but we just always end up that way, lol.  My DH wants me to get a new SUV, but I really love what I have ('08 Mercedes ML350), so I will push him off a bit, lol.

MIL's car is pretty old (2000) and DH just doesn't feel comfortable with her driving it.  He knows of a few people that work at dealerships, so they are keeping their eyes out for something decent.

Kar, the Verizon family plan works for us.  Between myself, DH, my MIL and 4 of DH's employees, we are pretty consistant with the number of minutes we use each month, so we know which plan works for us.  We had to adjust it a couple of times, but I think it works out well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

November, Sorry to hear of your really awful upset with your muscle spasms.....hopefully you are feeling much better, and are on medication.  Do you still have to be careful when you pick up your little bundle of joy? Take care ss

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Been going in later this week, since my son's afterschool program is opened at 8:30..grrr.  You'd think people would need to be at work at 8:30, so they'd open at 8. The polled the parents and I guess I was the only one that wanted the 8:00 opening. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, prin - I was thinking of tt, though, since we don't need two cells.  DH has one for work, and we share the "home" one between us.  Wasn't sure it would really work for us, but after 4 years I guess I can say it does. :)

I don't think a new car is necessarily a bad financial decision if you drive them 10+ years.  People waste when they buy a new one every 3 - 5 years imho.  I bought a new CRV and drove it 11 years then sold it in great shape to DH's college niece...after teaching her to drive a stick, lol.  Paid $16k for it new, and it's still serving our family well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, 8:30 opening?!  That would cramp my style, too, bummer!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

---As for the family plan phone - none of my kids have offered that solution.----

tt, they may not have thought of it. It will not cost them anything, except for the $9-10 monthly fee, you could offer to reimburse them. If you don't use your phone much, they will get a lot of extra minutes to use for themselves. Would it be possible for you to suggest it to them? If I would have to have my own plan and spend $$$, I would do w/o a phone, since I hardly ever use it. But it is a relief for my family, that I do have one and can get in touch with them, should needed be. Our TX son is still on ours. Our DIL was on her family plan, when they got married, so he just stuck w/ us. Our UK son was on it until he moved to England, but we still kept his phone and number, so he can use it, whenever he visits (somtimes for months at the time). It cost less, than have to get a new plan and contract everytime he comes around. Also worth mentioning; the phones in the family plan can call each other for free. Ok, enough cell phone speak!

I worked late last night, so DH offered to grab a bite out. But I was too tired to even go out. So I ended up heating up a couple of cans of Costco's Tomato Bisque, I had for an emergency. Ok, the "emergency" was last night aparently. The bisque was really good. Not as good, as the one I make, but not bad at all.

Speaking of used cars. Mine is 3 years old already. Normally we would have changed it. I want to keep it; it has barely 18,000 miles on it. Besides on of the things, I hate the most, is going car shopping and have to deal with car sales people. But DH tells me it is not a good business decision. So we shall see, what we end up doing.

No PT today, but I am going to do my exercises. So gotta run. Have a great day all.