February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: February 2013

Kar, I did read your post in regard to the filter/plunger. It was just the round screen, that goes on the plunger. No need to change the entire thing. I think the round screen is something like $2 on Amazon. My son thought it is worth changing it every so often. I don't have a French Press, so I can't say either way. Just thought, I would forward the info.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It does get scrungy looking after a while.  Didn't realize you could buy replacements.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, I did log every morsel, I ate at Costco, Kar. I found, I have plenty leftover for tonight's feast of 1 roasted chicken leg, 2 Tbs of Cranberry sauce and 1/2 cup of cucumber salad. To that I will add 1/2 cup of sugar free Black Raspberry Jello for dessert. My favorite.
    I can even have an apple for snack later this afternoon and I will still have some leftover in my budget. That is good. B/c tomorrow, we are having some kind of a family reunion, with catered food. I am not anxious to go. It is a religious rite, I don't believe in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, the March celebration for everyone sounds lovely. DH's birthday is in a couple of weeks and then my best friend is a couple of weeks after that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's why I can't do loseit, there is no way I could measure food all the time. I just don't have the time nor do I always do the cooking. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, thanks - I'll see if I can find that replacement part, Pingo.  Mine, too, is grungy despite cleaning it as best I can and even putting it in the dishwasher.

I had no doubt you logged it all!  That is why you are having such stellar success with LoseIt; it's the only way it works, really.  I know what you mean about partaking in celebrations you don't believe in, but when I have to do that I think of supporting and loving the person who does (and the family that does) not the thing itself, and that helps. We all only answer for ourselves.  And, I know you plan ahead, too, for LoseIt.  Going in to a party type deal with a deficit for the week is a good feeling of control.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, I meant "grungy".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Haha, tt. I had to go back and read your post. I did read it as "grungy" the first time around. I think our minds sometimes gets ahead of us.

Kar, I only go to support DH. He himself doesn't believe in it either, but it is his extended family after all (his sister's husband's family). And after so many times having other plans and excuses, they started to call us "big nosed". He went last year by himself, and instead of appreciating he being there, everyone turned on me for not being there. I promised DH I would go this time, but I am not looking forward to it. Except for DH's sister and her immediate family, we don't have contact with any of them, and only meet them at weddings and funerals. Besides, I can honestly say, they are a strange bunch. Too religious IMO - almost cult like.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds like a group you must really not be looking forward to being with.  Maybe you both can scoot out after spending a respectable amount of time there.  We all have those types of affairs we have to go to - only in my case, I have to go alone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be headed out soon. Pingo, maybe there will be too much snow for you and DH to drive in (hint hint). Have a good night everyone. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's a drag, Pingo.  As tt said, at least you have each other, and maybe you can both skedaddle after a respectable amount of time.  If not, you can only hope the food is at least yummy...and, will there be wine?  Probably not. :*(

Seems I always check in too late to say good night, Winter, but I do always wish you well in my heart.

DH will be home early tonight, yay!  He asked for pancakes to try out the sprouted Ezekiel flour, and I just whipped up two batches of the dry ingredients, one for tonight, one for a super quick meal another night.  

Oh, there's the kettle - I'll be making decaf to go with "breakfast" since it's evening and we'd both be sorry for having regular.

Good night

~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter and tt, we (aka I) are planning to come late and leave early!!! At least DH promised.
    tt, in a way I envy you going alone. In this case, if it was up to me, I woud say, "Hi and goodbye" and go home. But I do have to drag DH with me. And he is the biggest problem. He is "Mister Nice" - wants to be nice to everyone. Sometimes that pays off, sometimes it's the pitts. And in this case, we are in the pitt section.
    But you are so right , tt - sometimes you have to attend affairs, you don't want to be at. This is definitely one of them.
    Winter, boy was I ever wishing for a snow out, but it doesn't look as if it is going to happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

No bagpipes just ordinary church instruments like piano and organ and bells.  If this is my last post, want to say au revoir and will be back in a little while. I hope you all stay safe and healthy.   Not sure if I will have internet access all the time, probably just sporadically.  I do have my Kindle which I loaded up with lots of free old books to re-read.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, have a wonderful trip. Hoping the weather will not come in your way. Safe sailing!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a good trip, Hats.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

Best, hats - sorry for the reason, but enjoy your family and friends.

Up super early, but happy it's the weekend.  DH woke up and had to get up.  I'll never personally understand not being able to roll over at 5 am and go back to sleep, but what can ya do if you can't.  

Made pancakes with the sprouted flour - they were odd...crepe like in consistency/texture.  BUT, I was out of milk and improvised the liquid so I'll reserve judgment until next time when I make them according to the actual recipe.

OK, if I'm going to make it through the day I need coffee, pronto. ;)

Will be on later to check on the normal Saturday time risers.

~kar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Here's one of the normal Saturday time risers - - -

When I saw your post I was going to ask what you were doing up so early, but then saw your explanation.  I was up most of the night, pain in every joint and a stiff neck.  No figuring.  I'm guessing it's arthritis that comes on when there's a change in the barometer.  Early to bed tonight.

Doesn't look like a very good day for workers to be on the roof, but they picked the day, not me.  I suggested yesterday.  I suppose they were working on another project that they wanted to finish up.  He said they'd be over early, early this morning.  Hope so, I'm up early, early, showered and dressed at 7:15.

Read about your pancakes - I could never run out of milk, buy another jug even when the one I have still has a third in it.  When I want a glass of milk, I want a glass of milk and it will drive me crazy if there's none.

Not much planned for the week-end.  Will make the cabbage soup today, and at lunch have the leftover chicken from last night, made into a chicken salad for a sandwich.

Pingo, hope the family affair you are going to today turns out to be a more pleasant experience than you are anticipating.  Sometimes that happens.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, tt - too bad about the painful, restless night.  Maybe a nap will be in order after your soup.  I'm hot and cold for milk.  I buy a 1/2 gal with cereal and when it's gone it's gone for awhile.  Hadn't planned on pancakes so was caught without.  They were OK...not great, not terrible.  Better this morning in the toaster.

Indeed, Pingo, will be thinking of you and DH and hoping it's both not so bad and that you get an early escape.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

I just finished (well an hour ago) another of those salads with the stir fry veggies added.  Poked through Marshall's after tax appt., but not too much on sale in their housewares dept today.  Ended up with a pkg of the bar towels (love those for drying dishes) and a lemon juicer so I don't have to pull down the old fashioned one my mother had.  Only sliced an end off the lemon for last night's fish, so figure I'll make good use of the rest and make a lemon loaf for the freezer.  In my shopping yesterday, bought some chicken breasts halved, with the skin on and bone in for a change.  Will bake one of those up tonight with some rice AND the last of the spinach I had cooked.

Talking with G.T. about possible get together to celebrate my birthday.  He suggested Foxwoods, but I know things are tight with a couple of the families, and might not be doable, even with me picking up the dinner tab.  Don't want to put anyone on the spot.  Probably will aim for a dinner/cake here.  Had mentioned getting together with Newton DIL this morning when she called.  We were talking about birthdays, her husband (my son)'s is in another week.  Then the whole month is filled with birthdays.  Maybe we could do that, have a get together for all the March birthdays.  Maybe an "everybody bring a hot dish" type thing.

tt. When my mom was alive we had monthly birthday get-togethers at her place.  I only had to go down/up stairs (depending on where we lived), we would provide tea/coffee/soda and the cakes, each one with Happy Birthday and the names of the celebrants that month on them.  Those that came brought either a snack dish or a covered dish.....Mom had a player piano and that helped with the party??  It was always held on the 3rd Saturday of the month, all of the cousins,aunts, uncles etc  knew about   it and we always had a house full.ss

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I am feeling the pains and aches too this morning, tt. Must be a weather change.
    The good news this morning are, that we are not going to have the storm they predicted after all. Maybe just a couple of inches. The large storm anticipated, is not going to materialize until it has gone East out to sea. This is according to David Epstein, and he has been on the mark with the previous storms in our area.
    So Hats, you should be safe driving this afternoon. Happy trip.
    I buy milk in quarts. Plenty for the two of us. But I always have an extra quart in the rear of the ref. I found, there were too much waste buying half gallons. The milk went bad, before we could use it up. And I also have dry milk powder as an emergency. Not for cereal or drinking, but it is fine for baking. I use it all the time in my bread machine, especially when I use the delayed timer.
    Have to be at the "event" at 11:00, so I am checking out here. No, Kar, there will be no wine. Oh my, how sinful!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I figured.  They'd think we're hell-bound drunks, LOL.  I was in a wedding in which one of the bridesmaids was against heals and scoop neck dresses, so the poor bride had to have her maids wear dyed to match flats and hideous boat neck dresses.  Ug-ly.  I threw the dress and shoes in the trash afterwards.

I love the idea of having powdered milk on hand.  Will pick some up today.  Thanks!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Enjoyed a nice bowl of cabbage soup for lunch.  But then, stepped out to fill the feeder and when I came back in - - - Whew!  Definitely smelled like an Irish house on St. Paddy's Day with the boiled dinner going!  Just lit a candle to freshen up the air.

Roofers have come and gone.  We'll see what happens.  Snow predicted for most of tomorrow, but only 2-4 inches now.  That's a lot better.

Nice memories of your mother's birthday get togethers, SS.  The more I think of trying to pull my group together, the more faint hearted I get.  I know my youngest and his fam will find some excuse not to come, and I'm not sure about Lilly's mom, dad and siblings.  Her mom, my GD, has a part time job that usually involves the week-ends, and my intown son's 2 teenagers both have jobs working on week-ends too.  I'd like to have a nice corned beef dinner on the 17th for everyone,  but again, the rest of my family are red meat abstainers.  I'm depressed just thinking about the lack of attendance I would get.  Better to forget the whole thing and salute myself with a glass of champagne when I get up on the 18th.  Champagne, eggs and bacon with a scone and hot hot coffee, sounds like a good birthday celebration to me. 

ETA:  I'll even make myself a sheet cake that reads:  

YOU DID IT - MADE IT PAST XXX

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lack of turnout, tt?  I doubt it!  That sounds like an excellent bd breakfast.  

Speaking of soup, we had a heavier one than cabbage...

Pingo, not sure what soup you tried and didn't care for in the Vitamix, but we just tried the bacon, cheddar, potato soup, and it was absolutely stellar in both our opinions.  DH practically licked the bowl before asking for more.  Color was lovely, temperature hot, and I would have been happy had I gotten it in a restaurant.  It's on page 123 of the Creations cookbook that came with my blender.  I made it according to the directions except that I blended it 5 instead of 4 minutes for steam to be showing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Had a big disappointment today at Dunkin Donuts...sigh.  I remembered coffee rolls as a delicious treat (haven't had one in 15 years), and while it seemed fresh and the same, I guess, as ever, it just wasn't that great. Although, it couldn't have been THAT bad because I "choked down" the whole thing.  I guess I'm not used to white flour anymore, and apparently I don't miss it as much as I thought.

Speaking of such, I just made biscuits with the sprouted flour, and they are fabulous, taste and texture wise.  Woo hoo!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I'll make ou a sheet cake..SS will you deliver?

Sections
Shortcuts