February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: February 2013

Now that's something to look forward to!  Thanks, Icer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I'm game...TT do you like straw whip cream?...I make a noteworthy straw whip cream cake....I can even soak the strawberries in a little Grand Marner....its not very Irish....but it will get your eyes smiling.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

How nice of you to do that, Icer. I am sure SS or SS's DS would have no problem of delivering it. Please remember, tt likes chocolate - lots of it, in every shape and form. I still remember the Trumpet cake, you designed once. Too bad we don't have photo options any more.
    So I am back home from the gathering, I didn't want to attend. It went ok, but I am truly glad it is only once a year. Individually these people are nice, but they are such a dysfuncional bunch, I never know, who doesn't talk to whom. As far as the religious rites, I am just closing my eyes. No they are not worshipping the Devil, but are so far out in other aspects, that I just can't accept it.
    One thing though is, that whenever I come from being with them, I always feel so blessed, that we have good bonds in our immediate family.
    After the gathering, we finally went to the Mall and found a watch belt for DH's watch. The parking lot was packed and so was the Mall. And they try to tell us people dont have money to spend??? We saw bundles after bundles walking out of there.
    So glad for you, tt, that your roof got fixed before the "storm". According to the wise, we are not getting much of a storm. But still, if we do, you hopefully don't have to worry.
    I am beat. It has been a long and mentally exhausting day. Turning in early with my kindle.
    See you all tomorrow. Bless you all my dear friends!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The cake sounds delicious, Icer.  I'll  take mine minus the soaked strawberries, tho.

Got into the 3rd of my library books, and by far the best.  "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce.  It's her first novel and I hope a second is coming soon.  I'm almost through the entire book, keep picking it up again.  Only stopped now because my eyes are so tired.  I'll definitely finish it tomorrow.

Glad your gathering went well, Pingo.

Such a long night.  I was amazed when I walked out into the kitchen and saw it was only quarter to eight.  No pain at all tonight, so hoping for a sound night's sleep.  Lots of times it doesn't start until I've gone to bed tho, so I never know what I've done differently to bring it on.

Made a stirfry for supper of leftover chicken, some of the pkged stir fry veggies, leftover brown rice, and a little soy sauce.  Delicious.  Was planning on taking the pot roast out of the freezer and cooking that tomorrow, but I've that huge container of cabbage soup I made, so had better eat my way through some more of that.  That $2.99 pkg of cut up veggies has served me well.  Had it twice on salads, some tonight, and still there's more left.  Hope I can use it before it starts to go limp.  Don't like frozen peppers, so will leave it in the crisper and use it up best I can.

Think my clicker for TV is in need of new batteries.  Sometimes nothing happens when I click.  Since I don't have any batteries in the house, using it sparingly.  Will see what's on tonight for another hour or so and then turn in.  Chat tomorrow.  You've got me drooling over the strawberry/whipped cream cake now, Icer!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I got it...sin grande marnier...no problem...now i know

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Well, we don't have snow here - do you?  Raining, but that's about all.  Certainly not to be classified as a "storm" in any way.

Maybe pancakes this morning, with syrup and the last of the raspberries.  Looking forward to a lazy, lazy day, finishing my book and not much else on the docket.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good lazy, snowy morning, everyone. Yup, we have snow with a little rain mixed in here and there.  No 12" of snow here, that's for sure.  Whoops!

Spring is on its way, believe it or not, as evidenced by DH's ordering our garden seeds right now!  Woo hoo!!!

pingo, glad you survived; I can relate to every word you've said about it.  Did you see my post about the Vitamix soup we tried?

icer, I'll be looking for that cake with the eye-sparkly strawberries, thanks!

Actually, we're doing ok on the dessert front.  I made strawberry shortcake with the sprouted flour biscuits I tried (yum!) and frozen berries from last Years's crop.  DH "sneaked" out and made another one so I guess it was a hit. :)

We all slept in so I'm about to make my coffee...must...have...java....

ETA:  your dinner, tt, is one of my favorites.  I use TJ's frozen veggie mixes, easy and delicious.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Lazy morning here. Woke up and smelled the coffee. Literarily. DH got up early and made a pot of coffee, something that only happens once in the blue moon.
    So the "storm" was a bust. Not that I mind it. They are still talking about some snow/rain this afternoon, but it won't be much.
    Did the roofers fix your roof, tt? it is hard to believe, they have to keep coming back, but to find, where the water originates is very difficult, as water travel easily. Lots of trials and errors.
    I did see your post in regard to the potato soup you made, Kar. I can imagine, it came out ok, since potatoes have no color. One I tried was the broccoli soup. I came out looking like green poison. No one would eat it. I have some butternut squach in the ref. Maybe I will give that a whirl.
    Not much going on here today. Was on the computer phone with UK son for a while, trying to figure out his ticket to come here in April. He has a conference in Italy, so he will probably come to Boston from there. Then we will fly together to TX. Something to look forward to.
    Have a good Sunday all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, Pingo, I took your warning about the color to heart and made something white, lol.  My only regret is that mine only makes (practically speaking) 2 servings, and I like to have leftovers.  But, for an elegant, rich, quick, 2-person lunch that's easy to prepare and a snap to clean up it was spectacular.  I have a single girlfriend I think I'll recommend the machine to - it really is a workhorse that I think would encourage me to cook for just myself if I were still single.

April is right around the corner...you must be so excited!

nice of DH to step up to the coffee maker. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sat and read a bit and then turned down the thermostat and opened up the windows a crack in each room.  Part of the reason for that was I used a Fabreze apple spray lightly (I thought) on my couch cushions.  I'm not one for scents, buy everything odor free, but thought it might freshen them up a bit.  Fresh air was in order after that!  Cleaned up the kitchen a bit and brought down my St. Patrick's Day towels, bric a brac and put my shamrock plant in a place of honor on a l.r. table.  All these decorations I do each holiday time, I'm really the only one who sees/enjoys them, not any traffic in and out of here, but I enjoy changing things around for each season, have always been big on holiday decorations. BTW, the shamrock plant is the same one you advised me to repot, I think a year ago, Pingo.  It's done fine since.  Quite a few years old, G.T.'s MIL brought it to me one year on my birthday.

I've stripped the bed, cleaned the bathroom, thinking of polishing b.r. furniture and clearing off that bureau that always seems to get a mess.  Spark of energy from somewhere - those scrumptious pancakes with raspberries this morning?  Sure were good.  Enough left to reheat for tomorrow's breakfast.  They're really called griddle cakes, my mother's recipe, so light and fluffy.

OK, I know not to linger on the computer or this is where I'll get stuck, alternating between here and Mah Jong.  Speaking of which, I may play just one more game before getting back to work.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am glad to get a "report" on the Shamrock plant. So happy for you, tt, that it is doing fine. I can just imagine your home full of green. I do the same. Like to change for the seasons. I am not Irish, so St. Pats is not on my changing regime. Even though, we are not expecting anyone to see them, we both enjoy the changes. I used to do fresh flowers all the time, but they have become so expensive, so I broke down and decorate with silk flowers these days. Good and unfortunately expensive ones (friends can't tell the difference), but they last forever.  I still buy real flowers, b/c I love them and I love their scents. But not as I used to. Right now, I have hyacinths. One in each room giving off a delicious scent.  Looking forward to  spring and summer, when I can pick from my yard. I get your aversion to the spays on the market. Give me headaches.
    Kar, I looked up the Potato Soup recipe. It uses baked potatoes and sauteed other stuff. So it actually cooked, before you put it in the Vita Mixer. I made the mistake to use raw veggies. Disgusting. Will try the Butternut Apple recipe and follow the recipe to a "t".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, all the soup recipes call for cooked veggies.  I happened to have cooked bacon and baked potatoes already so only had to sauté the onions before tossing it in.  I'm glad we have your yucky Vitamix soup mystery solved!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Went out for a late breakfast. It is snowing big flakes, but they don't stick - feels like rain and the streets are wet.
    Yes, Kar, I am sure, that is it. The carrot soup I made from raw carrots, was the the same color as the iridicent orange paint, we use for surveying. DH said, "You have to be kidding, if you think I am going to eat that!" The taste was fine, but I must agree, it didn't look very appetizing.
    Putting in a couple of hours work at the office. Nice and quiet, when no one is around. 
    Anyone going to watch the Oscars tonight:? I am not. Don't know many of the new actors and actresses. Besides DH are not great movie goers. May watch a bit of the red carpet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hee hee, I can just imagine how horrible it was if you don't mind my laughing. ;)

nope, we're not interested in the Oscars.  DH has a fascination with Bigfoot, sigh, so we'll probably be watching that ridiculous "Finding Bigfoot" show on Sunday nights.  Marriage is compromise, right?  

Yes, big, wet flakes here, too.  We've gotten about 3" of wet, slushy snow.  Just walked Gracie in it and am about to change my jeans - they are wet on the bottoms.  Loving my winter walking shoes, though.  My feet are totally dry and are toasty during our walks as promised by Merrill (sp?).

careful on the roads - they are slushy here..not sure about East, probably just wet, I guess, in your neck of the woods.

Oh, speaking of woods, DH is out skiing.  Gracie was stiff today so she walked gently with me instead.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Don't mind you laughing at all. We are all allowed to make mistakes, and it is good if we can laugh at ourselves too.
    Those Merill, you are mentioning, are they by any chance their Jungle Moc? I am wearing them right now. Couldn't go throught the winter w/o them. This is my 3rd pair, plus I have a brand new pair in reserve at home. They were on sale for half price, so I grabbed 2 pair, afraid they wouldn't make them any more, which has happened before with other shoes, I loved.
    If you are interested, as soon as it gets warmer, REI have fabules sales. They carry the Merill shoes, and I never paid full price for mine except for the first pair. Just checked. The temp has gone down to 30. Will be slippery. Thanks for the warning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning everyone.  Very pretty outside.  The roads were fine on my way in, but the trees look so pretty with the snow on them.  I don't mind if the snow was always like this!

Nothing eventful over the weekend.  Took Mom out on Saturday and then watched the Daytona 500 yesterday and did the usual chores, etc.

Spencer is like a new dog, he is just so happy.  He is even more spoiled now!  Everyone is noticing how happy he is.  He is no longer looking over his shoulder to see if Tillie is around.  Have been in touch with her family and everything has worked out so well.  They adore her and I think she is very happy in a home with lots of kids and activities!

Didn't watch the Oscars last night either.  We're not much of movie buffs (the new ones anyway).  I just like to see the pics of the dresses the day after anyway!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. I did watch some of the Oscars. I was able to see Anne Hathaway win Best Supporting Actress, which was very well deserved. 

Sounds like everyone had a good weekend. We did as well. Another business laundy-filled weekend. Will be hosting a small party for DH's birthday. His favorite is roast, so I'll be making that, with mashed potatoes, carrots and corn. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, everyone!  

Indeed, a gorgeous one.  We have heavy, thick snow pasted on everything, and such a bright sun and blue sky today.  Can't wait to get out.  Good thing, since I have to leave in 10 minutes. :)

Pingo, those look fabulous, but my Merrell's are lace-ups.  I'll look for the REI sales, thanks!  When I go East during that time I'll probably scoop a pair up.

Great news about Spencer and Tillie, Princess.  What a perfect outcome.

Can't chat any longer as my 10 minutes is now 9, and I'm not showered...good thing I'm fast to get ready.

Have a great morning, everyone; I'll be back later.

~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Such a beautiful morning. This is a morning God has made just for us to appreciate nature. DH went out to clean the  driveway. Heavy snow, but not too bad. Especially in the sun, that feels warm, and there is no wind.
    Good news about Spencer and Tillie. I am sure you miss her, Princess, but must be happy she is doing well in her new home. How is mom? Has she finally settled here, being happy in her surroundings? I remember, there was a problem in the beginning, right after you moved her up here.
    Worked late last night. But I got everything done, I set out to do. It was snowing pretty heavily and the roads a bit slick, so we stopped at Burger King, which is on the way, to grab something to eat. I can't even remember, when I was there last. Had a grilled chicken sandwich, and I was surprised, it wasn't that bad. It didn't even blow my calorie budget.
    Have to go to the office and then to the PO to mail all the tax forms, I so diligently worked on.
    Have a good day everyone. Chat later.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Finished up the pancakes and raspberries for breakfast, and sitting here enjoying the beauty of the cherry tree.  The snow has started to melt on the tips of the branches, leaving long glistening droplets of water.  Looks like a crystal ornament decorated Christmas tree.

Didn't watch the Oscars, tuned in to the beginning, and thought whoever was emceeing wasn't very good, so found other programs to watch, one "Weed Garden", interesting about the farmers who now legally grow marijuana in CA and their problem getting it to patients without being arrested during travel, and then The Mentalist at 9:00.  That was a good episode.

Son and fam come back from the warm climates today.  Stepping from sun and sand to 30's and snow.

It  must make you happy to see little Spencer be his old self, princess.  Happy ending for all, with Tillie moving into an active home with children.

How did you make out with the electrical problem, Winter.  What explanation did NStar give you?  Has the trip to see the Harlam Globetrotters happened yet?  We fill pages and pages of chatter, and actually the dates don't move ahead all that far.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, NStar didn't say, but they moved the line so it wasn't in our pine tree (that we hate, BTW). The Harlem Globetrotters was Saturday and DS thought it was fantastic and wants to go again. I like the Mentalist as well, I had already seen last night's episode, so I watched some of the Oscars. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sad news from G.T. this morning.  The elderly couple that I always make half moons for - one is older than the other and failing terribly from Parkinson's - well not him, but his partner who takes care of him, collapsed last night and was rushed to the hospital.  They are trying to rule out a stroke today.  Luckily there are relatives that live close by who can temporarily at least step in to help.  We're hoping it was just exhaustion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

TT - I'm sorry to hear about your friend.  Hopefully it's good news.

Pingo - thanks for asking about my mom.  I wouldn't say she is "happy" to be up here, but she is happy to be near my brother and I.  Life in assisted living is just not that great.   It's really sad because the cost of it is just outrageous for what you get.  Anyway, she needs to have a (minor) surgery, so it just emphasizes that it's good for her to be up here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sad news, tt, on a gorgeous day. Hope your friend will recovers completely, and that it is just exhaustion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, sorry about your friend. I hope the news is promising. Princess, I can relate, we were recently informed that my MIL needs to go in a nursing home full time. We all work full time. so unfortunately we are able to take care of her.

Sections
Shortcuts