February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: February 2013

Looks like we have about 4 inches out there. I am sure there will be a lot more. But the snow is light. Shoveled our entrance. It was easy. Our snowblower is ready to go. It is only 35 years old, but it is such a work horse, that the store, where we get it tuned up, didn't want to trade it in for a new one. Imagine that?
    Kar, I am confused. Did your DH really get a fine for being on the road fter 4pm? I do think, it is a good thing though, that the Govenor ordered everyone off the roads.
    tt, I am also sick of the continuing weather broad cast on the TV. I know it is big news, but like you I think an hourly update would do just as well. What are you gong to do anyway? I think, you must be sleeping under a rock if you don't know by now, we are having a bad storm.
    Late dinner tonight. DH came home and had lunch at 3. Then went to sleep infront of the TV. Didn't want to wake him up. He needed it. Making a baked potato with a hamburger patty w/ lots  and lots of caramelized onions; he loves those. And a green salad to go with it.
    What is everyone else doing tonight?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We are watching tv nothing too exciting. We had steak, French fries, and carrots for dinner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The snow has really gotten heavier since I looked out at 7.  We have a good 6-7 inches now I think.  I made rigatoni with tomato and sausage sauce.  So good, DH who is not a heavy eater had three helpings.  Now I am 'helping' to clean out the freezer in case of a power failure by eating ice cream with some chocolate sauce left over from the summer.  And a banana so it's really healthy food right?  (I have many bananas left over from an event to eat up.  Had one for breakfast and one for afternoon snack too.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Banana is good for you, Hats. Lots of potasium to draw out the natrium aka salt. I eat one for breakfast every morning. If you get sick of them, you can freeze them for Winter's banana bread or banana muffins. You need 3 for the recipes. I made a batch of banana muffins today. They freeze well and easy to take out for breakfast. Wrap them in a papertowel and zap them for 15 seconds. Fresh muffins. Voila!
    Looking out the sliders, I see the wind has picked up. There is nothing on the TV, so DH put on an old movie. I will go to bed early and read my book. Need to be well rested for what is up for us tmw. Lots and lots of showeling.
    Hope you all will be safe. Nighty night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No, thank goodness, he did not get a ticket - by "just in the nick of time" I mean he made it home just before he could have gotten one.  He had expected to be home by 2...meeting ran over.

Yes, Hats, anything with a banana on top becomes health food. ;)

Speaking of food, I absolutely loved those hotdogs yesterday at the diner, but my gracious, the sodium impact today - I'm so puffy my rings are tight!  I drank a ton and a half of water today so maybe tomorrow it won't be so bad.

Took Gracie out on a leash to force the bathroom issue just now before putting her to bed.  She only did #1 and then hauled me back to the house.  Don't know if she's smart or if she'll be sorry at 2 am she didn't do more.  She went on our walk, but she usually goes, again, before bed.  All I know is that I did my best and I have to get some good sleep tonight.

The stove is stoked, the converter on, DH went to bed at 8, and I'm turning in.  Have a great night, everyone, stay warm and safe.  Chat in the morrow. :)

~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, and our lights have been flickering for a couple of hours...maybe we won't be chatting, after all, in the morning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well, Kar and everyone else, if we don't hear from you and you don't hear from me you'll know that the forecasters were right for a change....stay warm and boil water!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Looks like we have 9 inches now. Banana is good for you hats. CBS has its regular programming on. Kar I hope Gracie doesn't wake you up at 2 to the bathroom. Wish I had bananas to make banana bread. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Oh boy we got pummeled, and it's still coming down!  Not sure yet how much is out there, but there is a lot and the drifts are huge!  We had to dig a path for Spencer to go it because the snow is over his head, lol.

Got some laundry going at about 4:30 am just in case we loose power, lol.  I always do my sheets on Saturday and wanted to get them done.

Not looking forward to shoveling.  I usually do the back decks and stairs while DH uses the snowblower on the driveway.   He is so meticulous about it - he even does the side walk, the fire hydrant (which we always do, as our neighbors never do), storm drains, and our elderly neighbors driveway.  He'll be busy today!

Hope you all can read this which means you have power.  Stay warm!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We do have power.  Until the sun comes up it's hard to tell how much snow is out there but it's a lot.  The deck looks like it did two winters ago but without the different strata of snow.  I just made coffee and boiled some more water.   Now I face the question - do I make a hot breakfast because I still can or wait for DH to wake up and take the chance that we have lost power?

We made a plan last night that if we lose power, we will move the coffee table out of the LR pull the twin mattresses and put them in front of the fire and get our sleeping bags, which zip together  and sleep in front of the fire.  Then DH said, or we could just use the bags in our bed.   Usually he's more romantic than I, he must finally be getting old.

ETA: I don't like to freeze the bananas until they are uneatably ripe.  Also waiting to see if we keep power.  But I will when they are mushy.  I do it routinely.  Stay safe all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Looks like we have 12 - 15 inches and it is still snowing here. Got a call late last night from our snow plower, that does the office parking lot. He smelled gas. Called the fire dept. they checked it out but didn't call us back until early this morning. The gas company was there and the police had to force the door (break the glass) to let them inside building, as DH was not able to get there. Called the snow plower to help him get out, but his truck was stuck somewhere. So, now he has started  to dig himself out. Hopefully the plow will show up soon.
    The gas has been turned off, I believe. So we now have to get a plumber to pressure test the gas pipes. And the building has to be shored up.
    Why should this happen today of all days? Unbelievable! Not a good morning here. Hope you all have a better one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We've got power, too, yay!  Yup, we're all pretty buried for sure.  Prin, nice of you to do the hydrant every time and your elderly neighbors, too.  I know what most of us will be doing today!

goes without saying, I guess, that dh will be plowing the driveway while I shovel.

the snow isn't over Gracie's head, lol prin, but she didn't want to go out and still hasn't done her whole business.  I hope she can manage to hold it unti the driveway is passable so I can walk her.  Ah, the interesting trials of having a pet!

time for coffee.

best everyone as we dig our way back to normal life!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, sorry it's going so badly so far. :(

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

AH! The plow is here. God bless him!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Measured 20 inches and it is still coming. Looks like we had 15 minutes of power outage last night, but all is ok at home now.
    DH left for the office. How it is there is another matter.
    Hope you all are safe and have power. 400,000 people are w/o it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yay, things are looking up, Pingo!  

Haven't measured here, but DH just looked at some landmarks and guessed we have about 2'.  Kudos to the forecasters this time.  they all look bleary eyed...

not us, we slept great!  I had weird dreams.  One I remember was that there was something wrong with the wood stove so we put one big log in a frying pan on the cooking range (wrong on so many levels, ha ha), covered it with a pot cover (somehow it fit over the log), and let that heat the whole house for the night.  ?!?!?!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I see you guys chatted pretty late into the evening.  Just got up, altho during the night I checked to see what was going on around here weather-wise.  My plow guy had come and plowed and shoveled when I got up around 1:30 a.m.  Never heard a thing, I went to bed at 9:00.  Left the bedroom shade up so I could watch the snow, but the howling of wind between these two houses put me right to sleep, I guess.  I've no idea how much we have.  Halfway up all my front windows is plastered with snow that the wind had blown against them, so it's hard to even see out the front storm door and get a perspective of the depth of that white stuff.  Just know I feel we're lucky this happened over a week-end and not during a busy weekday.

Pingo, you're very lucky that noone was in work.  Imagine the chaos there would have been for workers trying to get out, with the heavy snow and then the smell of gas.  Could it be related to the work that has been going on there?

Want to get showered and dressed before plow guy hits here again this morning.  Have a couple of blueberry muffins (ones without the brown paper bottoms!) put aside for him to go with his coffee - and my checkbook ready.  This will be a big one.  They charge so much for the first ?inches, and then double over that.  Been a long time since I got hit with a hundred dollar bill, but I've a feeling before the clean up for this storm is over, that's what I'll be paying.  I feel I'm lucky to have such a responsible dependable guy tho.

Ok, off to make coffee, oatmeal, and muffins.  Oh, speaking of the banana bread of Winter's, I find I only use 3 bananas if they are small.  Otherwise, 2 bananas give it just the consistency I like.  This last time I added a dollop of sour cream, just because I had some.  Just finished off the last end piece yesterday.  There's one lone banana languishing in my freezer, so I'll have to get that supply of brown spotted ones back up for baking.

I'll check in later.  G.T. called last night to be sure I still had power/phone.  Western MA really got hit, so I'm hoping they're still with power.  -  Stay safe everyone. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

I'll check in later.  G.T. called last night to be sure I still had power/phone.  Western MA really got hit, so I'm hoping they're still with power.  -  Stay safe everyone. 

TT, There's a power outage map on Boston.com front page that indicates that power outages are largely confined to the eastern part of the state.  Quincy and Plymouth, and the Cape, account for most of it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, glad you are taken care of by a dependable plow guy.  I am, too. ;)  

the waves in the snow betray the power of the wind.  Not sure how they are going to get official snow depths.

i heard that some people who lost power have had it restored already.  Great news and hopefully everyone will have it back by the end of the day...it's going to be a cold night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Lot of snow and it's still coming!!  DD had to make her way from the side door to the front so she could clear the front stoop, door would not open......thats the one Max uses,he went out last night, deep snow, wind howling etc....when he came back in I told him, you see what its like out, DO NOT wake me in the middle of the night to go out....good boy, he didn't!!  Can't reall tell what it looks like outside, all of the windows and door are covered with snow from the wind....my picnic table and a bench are completey covered!!  So thakful to the powers that be that we dd not lose power, lights and TV flickered a few times, but thats all. Time to make breakfast (oatmeal and toast) & get dressed .   Stay warm  all,ss

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I doubt the gas smell is due to the construction going on. The gas lines are all outside the building, with the units on the roof. But one never know. DH is there now, so I will know more, when he gets back. Just so strange it should happen at the most inconvenient time. We had the lines checked in December, and all was well then.
    That is really nice of your DH, princess, to do the sidewalks and the hydrant. DH do the hydrant too, when he can. But the guys that plow our roads, usually cover it up with snow from the road that butt up to it. And he ain't going to shovel that pile. Some storms it has been 8 feet or more tall, and the hydrant has been burried for weeks. We have complained to the town several times to no avail. On occasion, they will send out a backhoe to dig it out, but other times it has been sitting in a block of solid ice like forever. Not good.
    I am sure your DH must be having a ball this morning, Kar. Lots of snow to plow. Too cute Gracie won't go out to do her business in the snow. I do remember that, when we had our Golden Retriever. Dh would shovel a path for her, and still she didn't want to go. I practically had to carry her out.
    Took a look at the radar. Looks like the snow has stopped out West, but here out East we still have a lot to come. Stay safe all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I just got off the phone with G.T. and it's coming down heavy there again.  He had sent me some pics - one so cute of the two cats sitting on the register cover in the upstairs bathroom, trying to look out the window, but the snow on the roof was piled so high they couldn't see out.  He said theirs is light and fluffy like down.  At least that's a blessing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. We have power as well. Pingo, I'm surprised your DH was able to get out down the roads out there. Still snowing here, you can't even tell there is a pool outback. We don't have a snow blower. We don't have much room between the cars and the wall.  So it's all shoveling today.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We live on a state highway which is usually plowed constantly.  I got up at 6 and have not heard or seen a plow yet.  Still snowing, still blowing.  I think we have about 2 feet.

Pingo, I am so sorry to hear about the problems with the building.

I know a woman whose first child was due on Feb. 6th.  I'm praying for her and for everyone else facing frightening real and potential health problems.  When shoveling, take it slow and easy everyone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

There's no traffic at all on the roads here, not even any plows this morning.  I don't hear anything in the distance either - plows or snowblowers.  Still snowing here.  I've a feeling our snow is a lot heavier than what G.T. got, a lot of my fir trees are dipping their branches almost to the ground.  Wouldn't be the case if the snow was light, I don't think.  It was eerie last night, no traffic at all going by on the street.

Sections
Shortcuts