February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: February 2013

I work at 8, so I've had to take a shorter and shorter lunch. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That stinks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

It is certainly a bummer, Winter. But be thankful, your company will let you that. Many companies will not put up with late comers. DH once worked for a well known company, where his supervisor, stood with a stop watch and a pad and pen at the the entrance. No kidding! If they were late, time would be deducted in 15 minutes slots. That despite many worked extra hours w/o pay. Needless to say, he was not there for very long.
    We once had a receptionist, that thought if she came in early or worked through lunch, she could leave early. Now, who did she think would man the phone in her absence? She had too many other issues, so we let her go. If someone needs to come in late or leave early for a good reason, we do give our employees the option of make up time. But it will be Saturday or after hours.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm doing MUCH better, ss, and am off all medications, except for an occasional dose of Advil when the soreness gets to me.  It hurts most days, but is more an annoyance than a pain.  Guess I'm in the club with TT and Pingo and our sore hips!  Nice to know that brownies are a viable remedy!!

As for family share phones, we have both of DH's parents on our plan.  MIL didnt want a phone at all, but we insisted she have one for emergencies.  Free basic phone, $10 extra a month, and we can use her extra minutes.  It probably worth mentioning to your kiddos.  We used to have a pay-as-you go phone for DS but found it to be wasteful since the minutes expire if you don't use them.  We ended up putting him on family share for $10 as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Don't let that sun fool you, it's cold out, especially when the wind blows across a parking lot.  Got a few groceries and everyone else had the same idea.  Picked up a few different things, and different cuts of meat than I've tried before, so should prove interesting.  Will use the rest of the canned tomatoes I opened last night in a cabbage soup for tonight.  I remember the first time I made that, a girl in work was telling everyone about a wonderful meal if you wanted to lose weight.  She would make a pot and eat it for the week.

Put my call into the roofers, they took the message and would "try to get it to him".  No message when I got back, so I am figuring tomorrow is a washout.

Cheerio is sniffing around the bags, kibble in one and a piece of haddock was in the other.  May open up a can of tuna for my salad and give her a treat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ooh, lucky Cheerio!

And, kargiver, too; I had a fish sandwich and fries out just now.  And, yeah, it's very cold despite the sun.  Not feeling much like walking, either, now that I'm stuffed.  Feel more like a nap.

Chocolate definitely cures what ails ya.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A fish day it was.  Was going to save haddock until tomorrow but then decided to get the papers it was wrapped in out with tomorrow's trash.  Fish, spinach, mashed potato for supper and it was delicious.  Just sprinkled lemon juice and pepper on the fish and some melted butter, and baked it for 30 minutes.  

Roofer stopped by and will come either tomorrow or Sat morning.

Did you get your walk in, kargiver?  Not many joggers going by here today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That sounds so yummy, tt.  Hey, I picked up lemon pepper on your recommendation, and I love it thanks.  It goes in a lot of my soups, especially.

I bundled up and took Gracie for a short walk, half of our regular.  I wasn't uncomfortablely cold because I dressed for it, but I was tired for some reason. Came back and lay down for a little rest, and I hardly ever do that.

must be very cold, now; added a bunch of wood, it's been burning awhile, and it's a degree colder in here.  Not for long, but still, that tells me it's stinkin' cold.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

You brave you, Kar. It is definitely cold and raw out. My finger tips went numb driving home and I wear gloves.
    Fish here tonight too. Baked Salmon w. the lemon pepper. But Jaques Pepin taught me to smear a smidgen of mayo over the fish first, so the seasonings stick to the fish. Just enough so you barely can see it. Roasted aspargus to go with the fish. They  are inexpensive right now, and we love them. I always grab the fattest ones I can find. A lady standing next to me with two bunches of the skinny ones was watching me as I went through all the bunches. She finally asked me, why I selected the thick ones. "Isn't the young ones more tender?" Not IMO I told her; all you get on those is the tough skin. She had me help her find two bunches, and asked in details, how I cooked them. She was excited to try something new. She used to just steam them to death (20 minutes). I hope they come out ok, and that she likes them my way.
    Glad for you, tt, that your roofer will be there before the next big storm. Sounds like it is going to be the worst of the 3 with a foot of heavy wet snow. To be honest I am pretty sick of the snow by now.
    Hats, when are you leaving. Hope you get out before the weather gets bad.
    I felt unusually tired this afternoon too, Kar. Is there something in the air? Early to bed for me, that's for sure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo!  Just doing what I had to do so Gracie sleeps and is sure to use the restroom, lol.  I'd have skipped it today if it were just for me, believe me!  I'm so ready for Spring.

so glad you rescued another poor soul regarding the asparagus.  I've done the same thing in the grocery store when anyone asks and always wonder how things go from there.

Early to bed for us, too.  DH will be tired...he's not even home yet, long day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, we were planning on leaving early Sat but we got stuck with DH playing at a funeral and have to start out late afternoon.  Pray for coastal rain so we can drive safely....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty about this storm.  Hoping everyone gets to where they need to be safely.  

We're getting 9 - 12" out in the "Worcester hills" according to the models right now.  Less as you go East...best wishes!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies,

Gorgeous yet cold, again.  Gracie is playing with her buddy and maybe will do so enough today to get the exercise she needs to not have to go for a walk.  I'm so drained, probably hormonal, and ready for the weekend with DH.

Wish I had a lunch, though, today.  I don't feel much like walking in the cold, but driving, eating, and visiting wouldn't be so bad, lol.  Maybe my friend in town can come by today and would be willing to sub tea for our walk.  She loves the Earl Grey I have from Mighty Leaf Tea so I wouldn't have to twist her arm too hard.

The Vitamix is earning its coveted real estate on the counter.  DH is loving the smoothness of his regular drink, too - the frozen blueberries become like silk in 20 seconds.  Then, it's clean in as much time. A great example of getting what you pay for...thank goodness.

Got a turtleneck sweater I ordered in the mail yesterday that is absolutely perfect.  Fits great, color is awesome on me (crimson), and the material is a fine ribbed cotten that's fitted but not clingy.  And, the weight is excellent for Spring - as light as it can be without being chinsy/cheap or seethrough.  A bra is coming.  One of my old favorites literally fell down around my waist in the car yesterday.

Pingo, did you go to NS Mall the other day?  Get some new clothes?  

Oh, and speaking of needing new clothes, my mom has lost 8 lbs in LoseIt since December!  She's told me for YEARS that it's IMPOSSIBLE for her to lose weight because of her hormonal situation, and I begged her (for her sake - she was miserable) to try counting calories and finding the amount that works for her despite her slow metabolism.  She finally did, and it's coming off.  She's ecstatic, and I'm SO HAPPY for her!  And, what she doesn't know is that her loss budget (1200) is 100 calories a day OVER what I ate to lose weight so her metabolism can't be THAT messed up, lol.  I learned on Dr. Oz that most people who believe they have a "slow metabolism" actually do not, but no sense trying to tell anyone who swears up and down that's the problem.  Whatever - she's logging and losing so I don't have to worry about what she thinks the problem was!  Yay, MOM!!!!  I love that we are FRIENDS as adults and can help each other navigate life.  We always had a great relationship, but it's really special as adults.

Well, I've talked your ears off.  I need the rest of my coffee.  tt, I think of you when I make it, my French press sister. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Sorry, Kargiver but I laughed my head off reading of your "slip" of apparel in the car!  I keep going the other way - buying extensioners!

Got the trash out in my robe, and just finished my French press coffee (and a toastie) after my cheerios and banana.  Should be dressed by now, but its a lazy morning.  Appt. to have taxes done mid morning, so I can't procrastinate too much longer.  Funny thing about the coffee, when company comes and I offer them a cup, I get remarks like, "Oh, I can't drink that stuff, I have to have the real thing."  There's no explaining that it is the real stuff, only a different style coffee maker.  When my nephew from NH comes, he always opts for tea instead, for the reason given above.  Thought of buying him one, but then realized if he won't even try it at my house, he'd probably just toss it out.

Have a lot of things I want to get done today, but I know going out in the morning, kills all my good intentions.  Before you know it it will be lunch/Y&R, and then putz around in the afternoon.  One thing I have on my list is to make some baked custard - use some of the milk and eggs, Hats.

Hats, when you mentioned your husband playing at a funeral, all I could think of was the bagpipes - does he by chance play those?  Such melancholy beautiful music.

Enough for now.  Time to get myself together.  I'll check in again later.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my, tt, no apologies, please - I shared so that everyone could have a good laugh!!!  I know I did - if you can't laugh at yourself life is humorless, LOL!!!

Funny, too, about the FP.  I, too, drag out the "regular" coffee maker for company.  And, I think it was wise to forgo it as a gift.  Too bad.  It's more real than anything else - no filter to trap the delicious coffee oils.  Oh, well, to each their own, and I'm an admitted coffee snob; I will drink whatever, but enjoy what I brew.

GL with the to-do list, tt.  Looks like the wind has died down for once out here, anyway.  Hopefully, there, too.  It's the wind that makes the cold unbearable...at least for me.

I'm not sure I'll be doing much more than puttering today.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. It's very cold in the office and I have my little heater on, going to get more coffee. We are going to NH tomorrow to see the Harlem Globetrotters, it was one of DS' christmas presents from me and DH. Hopefully the snow will happen after we get home at about 6.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think I heard this morning that it wouldn't start til 5-6, Winter.  Have a fun time - nice present.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Actually not a very good morning. Didn't sleep last night. Was up from about 1 to 4:30. When DH woke me, I was in another world. Wish I could have slept in, but I have my PT this morning. Argh!
    Didn't get to go clothes shopping, Kar. Remember we had a snowstorm? I will bring an extra suitcase to TX and fill it up there. They have so much more nice warm weather clothing there.
    I laughed visioning you dropping your under garment, Kar. That tells it in more than words, how much you have lost. I use the crimson color a lot too. Give me color to my fair face. I have good luck ordering from Coldwater Creek. I used to slip right into my size, but now with the changes in my body, I need to try on the clothes I buy. I am waiting for them to have a promo for free shipping. I will then order several sizes and styles of the same item, try them on at home and return, what I don't need.
    Just finishing my first cup of coffee. It perked me up a bit. Definitely need another one. What does your friend mean about getting real coffee, tt? The french press is real, wonderful tasting coffee. My UK son has one, and he lost the filter to it during his move. I found a replacement for him on the net. He told me the coffee tasted better after replacing the old one. Something you girls may want to keep in mind.
    Hats, we had a neighbor, who used to play for weddings and funerals. One day, DH mentioned to him, that they must have a huge family with all the weddings and funerals, they were attending. He broke out in a big laugh and let the cats out of the bag. Hope you have a safe trip to where ever you are going tomorrow, and that the weather doesn't come in the way.
    Better get going or I will be late for my appointment. Chat later.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Because I pour hot water into the carafe, he thinks it is instant coffee crystals, Pingo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's funny - have him try it before you plunge, and he'll understand the difference between coffee grounds and instant coffee! ;)  I can imagine his first words post mouth rinse would be, "I stand corrected.  That's very real coffee."  LOL!!!  Good to know about the old v new plunger/filter, Pingo, thanks.  I think I'll try doing a super duper cleaning effort with the one I have.  It's an insulated carafe not cheap to replace, and they don't sell just the tops.

Pingo, I love the idea of the empty suitcase to TX.  Fill 'er up nice! ;)

I'd like to head East to shop, but my lunches keep falling through due to work demands, and I don't want to spend the time and gas to go without bundling.  My girlfriend (who now works in Framingham) and I have plans for next Thursday.  I expect that will work out.

Just had some peanut butter and apples, a favorite snack of mine.  Not sure what's for lunch.  Baked potato maybe?  Loaded.  Hm, I think I'll put the bacon on to bake when I put the taters in. Yahoo, I can't wait!  I love food...

Gracie is sunning herself on her perch (the outside bench) on the patio.  I think her coat absorbs the sun's heat and she stays pretty toasty when it's sunny.  Of course, she can come in if she gets cold so I have to assume she's happy out there.

Still in my PJs...sigh.  Feeling a little better now than when I got up, though.  I think the potato willl help, too, lol.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

15 more minutes 'til my measured loaded potato.  All the bowl lacks is the potato itself.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just finished (well an hour ago) another of those salads with the stir fry veggies added.  Poked through Marshall's after tax appt., but not too much on sale in their housewares dept today.  Ended up with a pkg of the bar towels (love those for drying dishes) and a lemon juicer so I don't have to pull down the old fashioned one my mother had.  Only sliced an end off the lemon for last night's fish, so figure I'll make good use of the rest and make a lemon loaf for the freezer.  In my shopping yesterday, bought some chicken breasts halved, with the skin on and bone in for a change.  Will bake one of those up tonight with some rice AND the last of the spinach I had cooked.

Talking with G.T. about possible get together to celebrate my birthday.  He suggested Foxwoods, but I know things are tight with a couple of the families, and might not be doable, even with me picking up the dinner tab.  Don't want to put anyone on the spot.  Probably will aim for a dinner/cake here.  Had mentioned getting together with Newton DIL this morning when she called.  We were talking about birthdays, her husband (my son)'s is in another week.  Then the whole month is filled with birthdays.  Maybe we could do that, have a get together for all the March birthdays.  Maybe an "everybody bring a hot dish" type thing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, hoping your day is going ok despite your less than adequate sleep.  Maybe you can rest this afternoon.

tt, you'll be able to use your juicer for tonight's dinner.  Sounds fabulous!  A March cake and dinner gathering sounds fun and is really thoughtful re those who might not be able to afford more.

just had my potato...omg, was that yummy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came back home from my PT appointment and a stop at Costco for a couple of things. Yes, that included your friend Peter, tt. I almost felt like he would say, "Say hi to tt for me." (LOL)
    Such a nice guy.
    It is so nice out. Just can't imagine we will have a bad weekend. Picked up a Costco chicken, and I will have plenty to feed us, if it gets bad.
    Being at Costco, I had my "lunch" there. All the tasting booths give you enough to skip lunch. Being on Loseit! I was very careful of what to taste. But they did have some dumplings, that were to die for. Bought a bag of Spicy Pork ones and a bag of Veggie ones for when I have veggie company. It was from a new company, I never heard of. Unfortunately, they are only there for a promotion. They were so much better than the usual dumplings Costco have. Now I wish I had bought more.
    You girls make me want to bake a potato. I love potatoes in all forms. But I will have to do w/o. Had enough tasting bites.
    What's for dinner tonight? We will have the chicken w/ cucumber salad and home made cranberry sauce. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, Pingo, I log all my Trader Joe's tastes, too.  Every bite or not at all for us. :)  Potato is only 20 calories an ounce.  I had a 6 oz potato, 1/4 c of TJ's lite shredded cheese, 3 Tbl of TJ's lite sour cream, 1.5 tsp butter, four slices of bacon for 475.  Not a bad meal even if your budget is 1200, and how decadently delicious it was!  For me, it's eaiser, though, on maintenance and having to make sure I eat my whole 1850.  Soon enough, you'll have your maintenance feast every day, too!

Dinner here is soup, again, and maybe another potato.  I have enough calories for both, but not another "loaded" one.

Sections
Shortcuts