February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: February 2013

Seems a shame that you have to go into the office, only to most likely trudge through snow to get home at 1:00.  Is that the time they are saying now that it will start in earnest?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I know, I can take vacation time, but it will be counted as a full day if I do and since I only get 15 and I took a half day, I don't want to do that. Not sure when it's starting, that's when we are closing. We don't usually close at all so this is big for us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

First of the washes is in.  Want to be sure I'm caught up in case of any power loss.

Just emailed my DIL that Trader Joe's has their own gluten free flour now, Baker Josef's Gluten Free All purpose Flour.  A little pricey at $3.99 for only one lb., but might be worth it to see if my son wants to try it and see if he likes the results.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Home from shopping, store was  a nightmare....never saw so many people, they were all buying soda, snacks, dip and candy.  Bought a case of Duraflame logs in case we lose power, we have both a wood stove and a fireplace.....the smell of the regular  wood chokes me '  Icer, drove by your house on my way to the postoffice , wow, do you have wood!  Did honey chop all that?   My DD's were teenagers back in 78, they loved the snow....the MBTA sent ou a SOS for shovelors for the tracks and stations, they and other neighborhood boys went, they thought they were gonna get rich....$4.00 an hour..... my middle DD wore  my  battery operated socks tha I wore when I was directing traffic.  They came home pooped and frozen, to them it wasn't wok, just fun with friends.  SS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

DS has no school tomorrow, so DH will take off, since he has alot more vacation time then I do. DS' championship game has been postponed from this Sunday to the following Sunday.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Postponing the game now makes sense rather than at the last minute.  Good your husband can take time off tomorrow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Healthcare the shop never closes.........

Toy I understand your email 100% regarding the email and one would think a simple "thank you" is not too much to ask for.  But this day and age sometimes it is not that I agree.  I think if it makes you happy to do  so continue but don't expect the thanks and if you get one it will be a nice positive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the well wishes for lunch, but the storm put it off, again, as he will not be able to work tomorrow and deadlines are deadlines.  And, it's a good thing I was home because a neighbor with no phone and no car got locked out of the house waiting for friends to pick him up for school who never showed and came truding over for help after I would have been gone.  Got him thawed out and to his destination.  And, I was too tired, actually, to enjoy the long drive.  So, it worked out all around.

I've got quite a bit of Spring cleaning done, but there's so much more to do.  The kitchen looks nice, though.  Too bad we can't use paper plates and get takeout forever so it can stay this way for more than 24 hours. ;)

tt, a thank you is a reasonable expectation, and just because you have tracking information doesn't mean you can't inncently call and ask if it was received.  Just because something got marked "delivered" in the system doesn't mean it got there, right?

Got to get on the rest of the chores, and I must go to the grocery store - ugh.  The crowds!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be headed out in a few. I'll check in/post later. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good night, Winter :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, I do expect the "thank you" - its a matter of good manners, regardless of the day or age.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry about your cancelled lunch, Kargiver.  As you went on to say tho, it did work out for the best, especially lucky for your neighbor.  Did you reschedule?  We three gals are still going back and forth trying to find another day this month that works for us.  So many emails have gone back and forth that we've lost track of the days each can and can't make it!

Using up some leftovers tonight for supper, and then tomorrow will braise up the beef for meals of stroganoff and stew.  Still have some sour cream, so bought some more potatoes to have a meal of potato pancakes over the week-end, I hope.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hey Kar, thanks for being a Good Sam!  We'll all have to look out for similar problems in this storm.  Thinking of doing a load of laundry so my extra warm fleece jammies will be clean. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got a call from the library that another book I had requested (and forgotten) has come in - "The Last Runaway".  Remember now that the write up on it looked interesting.  Said I'd pick it up tomorrow, but she said because of the predicted storm they aren't going to open tomorrow, they'll hold it for me until next week.  I've only just started "War Brides" last night and that's a thick one.  Seems like we're all in a reading mood.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Took me an hour ands half to mom home. It never takes that long.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think everyone is out doing their last minute errands - tonight and tomorrow.  Is your Mom safe where she is - that being, others around in case of power outages?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My mom rents fom a family friend who lives there so she should be fine. My MIL is in a rehab facility that has a generator should the power go out. Have your sons checked on you tt?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, my intown son called today and his wife called when she left work to see if I had all my meds or needed anything else.  Talked with them about buying one of those buy so many minutes phones to have just in case of an emergency.  I'll have to look into that next week.  I wouldn't use it except in the case of a car breakdown, or heat emergency, or if I'm in a store shopping and need to know one of the kids' sizes.  Can't afford to get a regular verizon or comcast cell phone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Toytrumpet, look into Cricket cell phones - a few of my teaching staff really like it, the prices are so much less expensive than regular verizon or ATT cell phones.  I don't know much about them at all, but several have done the research and really said they aremuch less expensive but the phones they have for you are still good and get reception everywhere like a verizon and AT&T phone does.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Thank you, CT, for the info.  I don't know anything about the different phones, only that I can't afford a substantial bill every month.  As I said, it would only be used for emergencies, my phone plan covers calls of any length, at any time, to any place, so that will continue to be the one I gab on.  I will check out the Cricket.

Surprised during the night to get up and see a light dusting of snow on everything.  Nothing more yet this morning.  Turned on the TV to see the exodus at Logan, people whose flights were scheduled over the week-end, trying to get changed to any flight out today, ahead of the storm.

Hope those of you who had/have to go into work this morning will be leaving work in time to get home safely before the bad weather starts.  If you're in my neighborhood, feel free to stop in for a cranraisin scone along with a nice hot bowl of beef stew.  I'll be making both this morning.  Hope we don't lose the power and are able to chat during whatever weather comes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

My work called last night and we are closed today.  This is very rare - we are only closed 6 holiday's per year.  I am in the healthcare industry (not a hosptial) so it would really take a lot to close.

I went to S&S at 6am this morning.  There were a few of us there and a lot of the shelves were bare!

TT - my mom has a Tracphone (pay as you go).  She just uses it for emergencies.  I think the phone was like $35 and then you buy the minutes.  The only thing to be aware of is the minutes to expire if you don't use them.

The other option is what we do for my MIL.  DH and I have a family plan through  Verizon and just added her onto us.  It's only $10/mth and the phone was free.  Perhaps one of your sons have that and would just add you on.

Stay warm and safe today everyone!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, Got my cell phone at Best Buy for $19.99, it came with a charger and a how to booklet.. I purchase a phone card every 90 days for $20.00, my phone stores all my DD's #'s, some friends, and emergency ones....just have to push a button.  Some phones will let you play games, text, set alarm etc....I didn't need or want all that stuff.  Google Best Buy and then put in "no contract, cheap phone" and they'll all come up for you to view.  I'm sure one of your DS will know what I'm talking about and will help you.  Take care and stay out of the  snow!  ss

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. So it appears the Governor has announced that if you are not where you are supposed to be by noon, stay where you are, here we are opened until 1. I'm hoping they let use leave at 11, but doubt that will happen.

tt, there are many phones that are what you explaining, it's probably good to have just in case the power goes out, or if you are driving and your car breaks down. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the tips re a phone - I've copied names down and will definitely look into one next week.  Long overdue.

Winter, I'm sure once the snow starts coming down - note:  it is snowing lightly here now - the powers that be at your work will re-think their closing time.

News showed shelves at supermarkets this morning - bare.  Didn't people have a chance to stop in a couple of nights ago - or didn't they take the forecast seriously?  I shopped Weds and there was no shortage of anything at that time.  Anyway, I'm leaving the boards for a bit and get my meat braising, and the scones made.  Will check back in later.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Winter, I hate companies who are so uptight that they can't adjust their thinking that employees are stupid and venal and must be regulated to the minute.  When the privately owned company I used to work with was acquired by  a former division of AT&T all the secretaries were sent to a three day class on how to fill out all the forms they required.  Every minute had to be accounted for. 

At the old company, we would routinely work 18 hours a day for a month to get things done, then take some comp time - no paperwork, just, hey boss, I need a day off now that the xxxxx project is done.  The result of the nitpicking?  No one wanted to work an extra minute.  Penny wise, Pound foolish....

Sections
Shortcuts