February 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: February 2013

I doubt it will happen tt, but if enough people complain maybe it will work. I mentioned it to my boss and he shrugged his shoulders.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I always found that mentioning to a boss "The governor asked that we not be on the road after 12 ..if we leave at 1 I will not be home until 2 or 3...can you give me a note that says you didn't close until 1 so if I get stopped I can give it to the police?"  worked wonders...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, everyone!

DH is leaving in a few minutes, very late today, for a meeting that's not in the office.  Right now, he's getting all the snow removal equipment in place and my car put in the garage. What a man. :)  We've had a wonderful morning talking over our cuppas instead of rushing around and getting him out the door by 7:15.

Winter, I do hope your boss comes around to rational thought.  What the heck does an hour make in the grand scheme of things given the stakes?!  It's a stupid game of chicken imo.

tt, we've tenatively rescheduled for next week, but his work workload is very heavy so it's got to be played by ear.  This is how it was when I worked with him, too, lol - it was understood that at the last minute it might not happen, but that's due to the nature of his position not his desire to share a pint with an old friend.

It's flurrying here, but the radar shows it's not part of THE storm yet.

Be safe, everyone! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats's comment:

I always found that mentioning to a boss "The governor asked that we not be on the road after 12 ..if we leave at 1 I will not be home until 2 or 3...can you give me a note that says you didn't close until 1 so if I get stopped I can give it to the police?"  worked wonders...

Hahahaaa Hats!  This is awesome!

We are working a full day.  Keep an eye out on the evening news - I'll wave to the cameras when I am the only car on the road during rush hour.  Lol!  DH will be out plowing for the night and likely most of tomorrow.  I plan to put a beef stew on tomorrow AM so he'll have something warm and hearty when he comes in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    First off, be safe during the next 48 hours.
    DH left early this morning. I am hoping he will come home, before the snow really starts.
    I had to go to the bank yesterday during the afternoon, and decided to do my "blizzard shopping" then. Not that I needed much. But I was glad I did. Had to go to the bank again after work, and the store was a zoo. I think the media gets everyone wound up.
    We are not closing our office, but have everyone decide for themselves. If they decide to take off, we will let them work those hours some other time or uses vacation time. No one is misusing it. We are so blessed with a wonderful staff. But we are only a small company. I can imagine in larger companies, they have to have set rules. Winter, I am hoping for you, that your boss decide to send you home earlier.
    And Kar, one hour of lost work does make a heck of a difference. I know, you will "hate" me for saying this, but it is the truth. Off time you can't bill. And if you don't bill, you can't pay your employees. Our employees are happy with the options, we give them. But I can't imagine it will work in larger companies.
    DH tested our snowblower, before he left this morning. 35 years old and still going strong. Guess we are as prepared as we can be.
    Hope you all will be safe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't hate you, of course, and I get there are business reasons for every hour worked, but common sense needs to take a front seat. Forcing people to stay an hour later than the governor is requesting people get off the roads is wrong.

nov, will be watching for you to wave - hoping you won't actually make the news - that's usually not a good thing!

It's starting to really snow here...we've found Nemo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes snowing quite heavily here too.  Come on Mr Mailman, I put 10 thank you notes out for him to pick up and would like him to do so before they get wet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A friend just called and said at the MB in Salem last night, they had to call in policemen - not to direct the parking, but because inside the store people were fighting over things - can you imagine?

Beef is stewing and smells delicious.  Still just a light trickle of snow coming down here.  Maybe we'll be lucky and be in a belt that turns over to rain.  I almost ran out to Marshall's to poke this morning.  Yesterday when I was in there the trucks were just unloading, things not yet put on the shelves.  There was plenty of room for new stuff tho, and this morning would have been a bonanza.  Did pick up a little something yesterday that I put away for part of a Christmas gift.  Now as long as I don't forget where I've put it, we'll be all set.  Remembering Pumpkin's Halloween book that I never came across until Christmas!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Only snowing here very lightly. Kar, you are absolutely right. Common sense is what is needed in this case. But some employees just don't have it. We always give our employees the option to work off "lost" hours. In the case of this storm, DH have already announced, that we will make a make up day next Saturday. Some of our employees decided to take a vacation day today - others decided to come in. It is all up to them. We don't force anyone in a situation like this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

In my company there are no hours to bill, the full time employees are all salaried. I'm in the marketing department off site with the operations people. The building had to open just for us. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, tt, I can imagine. That was the case at S&S lin Reading last night. Many shelves empty. People fighting over what was left. Thankfully, I only had to use the bank, but the melee was not unnoticed.
    Ham bone is going in the pressure cooker shortly. DH will probably be home for lunch - at least I hope so. Will need some stick-to-the-bone food, before he attack the snow plowing.
    Is anyone reading David Epstine's weather reports? I find them valuable. Not like the media frenzy, but down to earth reporting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, your company must have some way of billing their clients. Or they wouldn't be in existence. W/o billing, how would they be able to pay you? I certainly understand your predicament. Believe me, I do.
    Even though you are salaried, they still will have to bill your hours. I don't know, what you are doing, but yours may be "overhead". Accounting, secretary, etc. and such go under that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo don't bill our clients. Trust me, I would have gladly worked the time to make up the time from taking a half day today.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No word yet of an earlier closing time, Winter?

Just got a spectacular video of the calving of a glacier in Greenland.  It won a 2012 award at the Sundance Festival.  If it happens to come your way, it's well worth watching the 5 minute video.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

No, some people are letting their staff leave at noon or now, but don't think that's happening in my little group of three. 

ETA: DH says it's still snowing in our time, but not sticking yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sticking here; we have a fraction of an inch.  I'm walking Gracie in a few minutes to get it out of the way.  I found some nice balm to protect her feet from the salt that works wonders.  Amazing to find a product that works like it promises.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, I do feel for you. Truly! Chatted w/ my bank last night. They will be  open until 1 pm today too. And I think, that if everyone leave at that time, all will be well. It has been flurrying here all morning, but has picked up now. Just hope everyone - especially my Chat friends - will get home safely.
    Hope everyone here wil be able to check in later, and let us know, how they are doing. In the meantime, take care.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I think the non-essential employees should have been able to go home. We are not needed and many people are letting their staff leave.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Funny Winter, in my head I had you working for a software company.  Not sure where I got that from. 

Word from DH is that the sanders have been called in, but not the plows yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I work in marketing and create newsletters, flyers, etc. I also handle the database management and party planning, etc. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Will be a long day/night for your DH, November. Wishing him and you well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be heading out in 15 minutes. I'll try to connect when I get home to let you know I've arrive safely. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Take care, Winter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Take care, Winter. Hope you get home safely. Not snowing here right now. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Never got to make the scones this morning, so scanning through my recipe box, came across a blueberry muffin recipe a friend had given me years ago from a cooking program she used to listen to on the radio on Saturday mornings.  I'm sure I've made them before, but not recently, so will turn out a batch of them this afternoon - a little different.

Strange that the snow is coming down heavier, but not sticking to the pavement.  This will be OK if this is what it amounts to.  Dare I hope?

How did your walk go, Kargiver?  Only an occasional car going by here, and we did have mail delivery, Hats.  Hope yours got picked up alright without too much water damage.

Cheerio has had a light lunch and is hunkered down under the comforter in here.  She has so many spots where she likes to curl up.  No sun to settle down in today, so guess she figures under something is the next best thing.

Sections
Shortcuts