February 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: February 2014

If they could just stay little 'til their Carters wear out....the shopping sprees I used to go on!  Envy you Pingo but all things have their seasons.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My new orchid -

Lovely day.  They enjoyed dinner - but oh, I don't know what happened to my popovers.  they were really dark, and didn't rise but only half as high as others I've made.  I was so embarrassed.  I was showing G.T. step by step how to make them and then to have them come out like that - they claimed to love them, darkness and all, G.T. ate 3 and partner 2.  Only thing I can think is that maybe I beat the eggs/milk and let it set too long while I heated the cupcake tin and buttered it - too long before pouring the batter in. Don't know why they got so dark tho, unless my timer is off.  Anyway, they took the remainder home and G.T. took a copy of the recipe with all my notations, and plans on making some.  He's anxious to do some with cheese on top too.

Went for a spin in their new car and it's nice.  They took my tree down and put it and the boxes upstairs, without my asking, and Cheerio got her nails clipped.  Then around 3:00 they headed into Boston, to stop and see a friend on their way home.  G.T. did cut out the circles for the wreaths too, used regular scissors, and brought out some wide ribbon from my craft chest as a suggestion for winding that around the form before gluing on the hearts.  I could see he would have liked to whip one up himself.

Hope the rest of you have had as nice a day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT glad you had a nice day and the chores got done. I'm dying to see the wreath!

I had lots of "have tos" to do but now can do a few fun things - what should I do?  Bake? music? read?  snack? hmmm - hope the rest of you have some fun today!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Argh, I haven't been able to get rid of that pesky HTML code that prevents posting all afternoon.  For some unknown reason, suddenly, it's gone.

Pingo, I have an ice cream maker...I guess you should serve yours to your guests. :)

tt, gorgeous orchid!  Love the high contrast of colors on the white background of flower.  Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

dh and neighbor just left for a little puttering around on the snowmobile trails.  Neighbor just bought a new one today and is eager like any man with a new toy.

ETA: Had an ok day myself, nothing to write about, tho.  Honestly, I'm still feeling the effects of the long siege and don't feel 100% like myself...save for the 2 days after that unbelievably good massage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Could you treat yourself to weekly or bi-weekly ones til you're feeling back to yourself?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe bi-weekly...I could skip a few haircuts and colors and it would be a wash.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ack, if I don't post for awhile assume I can't get in.

Anyway, the boys are still out galavanting on the snowmobiles...wish they'd get home; I don't care for their being out in the dark.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

At least there's two of them!  The buddy system is always better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hope by now they're back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, the fact that they ride together is comforting.  they really are careful, but I can't help but worry.  Yes, they got back about 15 min ago safe and sound.  Thanks :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hi. What a lovely orchid tt. What type of car did they decide on? Glad the boys took your tree upstars.

DH and I are watching Season 5 of Breaking BD, it's a very good show. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Woke up a few minutes ago to the bright sun shining outside, and the furnace purring inside.  Must have twisted and turned all night, my hair is sticking up in all directions!

OMG, as I sit here looking out, tiny tiny snowflakes blowing around out there!

Left all the dishes that didn't go in the dishwasher, washed and dried on the kitchen table, so those things to put away this morning, and decide what to do with the leftover chicken that didn't go into the soup.  I bought some red grapes this week, so maybe a nice lettuce/chicken salad plate with grapes ringing the chicken salad, then later in the week a chicken ala king.  Since the cupcakes (rasp swirl frosted ones were a big hit) went home with the boys, that loaf cake that just went into the freezer two days ago, may just come out and get frosted.  I almost want to make another batch of popovers, just to prove to myself that I can make them, but that would be a waste since I don't really enjoy them.

How long is your company who comes today staying, Pingo?

Thanks for the comment on the orchid, Winter.  I saw by the wrappings it came from T.J.'s.  The holidays are creeping up on me this year.  Usually I'd have the poems for pumpkin and bro written and the card supplies at least bought if not made.  Don't have anything bought, no valentines, no candy for GD and her bro.  I'd better get hopping.  At least we'll get the wreath made tomorrow.  I'm dying to see how she decides to decorate it.  I'm going to show her the pic of yours, Hats, so she'll have some idea, and then with all the stuff I have out, including the roll of ribbon G.T. put out yesterday, let her go to it, supervised of course, with the hot glue gun.

A lot of rambling for first thing on a Sunday morning - you'll really be skim reading this one, Kargiver!  lol  I'll check in later.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just opened emails and there is one from pumpkin's mom saying it's OK to post the pic of him.

Have left it up a few days and taken it down now.  Don't want to tempt fate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I hope the wreath party is a success TT...I'll be working tomorrow so it's a busy busy day for me but I will hope to see a picture in the evening!

Today is busy too, and I need to get cracking.  Took some bananas out of the freezer to make some bread.  I got into clean out the kitchen mode and put all my ceramic mini pans (I have 12!)  under the bed, now have to go get them out again.  I hate it when that happens.  I do have metal mini-pans but I don't like them as well.

I hope the snow holds off until night since we (DH and I)  both have to drive far and long today.  Must go make his tea!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT we posted at the same time so I hadn't seen the photo of Pumpkin - how cute! 

I prefer cake for breakfast to cookies.  Remember, if someon hadn't invented muffins, we'd all have to admit that we eat cake for breakfast.  Just licked the banana bread spatula - yum! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

What a beautiful little boy he is, the little dinosaur eater. Look at those eyes, they pop right out. Definitely Irish. Such a cheerful photo to wake up to. Thanks GD for letting Nana post it.

Gorgeous orchid, tt. I am so envious. I need a new stock, some of mine has gone to orchid heaven. They were old and tired. I repotted my little Lady Slipper last summer, and she didn't like it - still hanging on to it, but I doubt, she will please me again with a slipper. TJ has a great collection, and they are very reasonable priced. That's where I buy all my mini orchids. The little ones, I don't save though. They are so cheap, my trouble is not worth it.

Speaking of flowers/plants. Kane are selling their 4 inch Cyclamens for $2 a piece, in case anyone like to put some color around. Picked up a couple myself.

Glad to hear, GD is coming over to make the wreath. A picture of it is a must. Good GT cut out the circles for you. I bet he will go home and make one himself, now that you introduced him to them.

Just spoke with guest. She is not leaving NYC until noon time. A friend is giving her a ride. They won't be here until 4 - 5 ish. She is staying until Wednesday. Then Thursday or Friday, we will take off for TX.

Hats, that's Murphy's law. I do the same. I stash away stuff, I haven't used in a long time, and what do you know, the next week, I need it. Those ceramics are nice. I give them away as gifts. I am surprised you get yours back. I don't like to ask for them, so people keep them, even though I am sure they are never going to use them for anything again. I should probably be more assertive.

DH is calling for me. I am sure he needs breakfast. I will check in later.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, some people do give them back, and I keep those. Since I have been doing it every year for a while, I no longer give them to people whose cabinets contain 2 or 3 now....

Also this year we travelled a far piece for XMAS so I did not take them in the pans.   Instead I got bakers tissue and plastic goodie bags from the Dollar store, wrapped them in tissue and put them in the matching bags.  They did look pretty!  I have 4 little loaves sitting out to cool and I am looking forward to an end piece with butter...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My breakfast this morning was a thick slab off the cake, smeared with seedless raspberry jam - oh, so good.  I like unfrosted cake and may just not frost this one - at least not yet.

Pingo, glad you are making plans to fly to Texas.  Was the guest one of the reasons you had decided to wait?  Understandable, since I'm sure you wanted to repay her kindness to your son.  I hope they will let you post a pic of the baby.  I debated posting pumpkin's, but I do feel fairly secure as far as identity.  I'm sure there are hackers that could, if they wanted, find some way to learn his identity, but I'm resting in the assumption that they aren't hanging around this site.

Hats, tell me again how long you bake these mini pans?  I know Winter, I think told me previously, but I didn't write it down, and I have several new metal tins G.T. had given me a couple of years ago.  Never used them just because I'm hesitant about when to start testing for doneness - in ratio to how long you would bake a regular size loaf.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good morning,

Enjoyed your back'n forth conversations this morning. Sounds like you are really into baking right now, tt. I have 6 ripe bananas, and I may do a bread and 12 muffins today. This family is not much into chocolate, but we are getting an overnight guest this weekend, who is, so I may just add some chock chips to the batch - or maybe even half the batch. The mini ones.

Didn't hear yet about Bieber's latest antics. So sad. But truly, I won't miss him. The young people today, have terrible "idols". He and other young "artists" are a product of the culture, we have to live with today. That is exactly, what I meant, when I said the Chili Peppers (and partially Bruno when they joined them) at half time was behaving like "animals". It that really something my granddaughter has to look up to?

I am waiting for a call from my cleaning crew. They canceled yesterday, due to a back log b/c of the storm. They wanted to come next week. Not acceptable. I made this appointment a month ago. We are having an overnight guest this weekend, and next week we will most likely go to TX.

Our little one is doing well. DS sent us a video with her yesterday. She was having hiccups. So cute to hear some sound from her. She didn't look like she was in discomfort and looking very alert. Now, that they have upped the temp in their house to 72 and wrapping her well, her body temp has gone up to normal. In the meantime mom and dad are suffering, b/c it is too hot for them. They usually keep the house at 68. Well, welcome to parenting - kids before you. That is all I can say. LOL

ss, we haven't heard from you for a few days. How is DH going w/ his legs? Another appointment to the Wound Center today? Hope all s well.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning all, Thanks for asking Pingo, DH's legs are slowly getting better, he is not on the anti biotic any longer, but still has the vising nurse once a week and the visit to the wound center.  His disabled car is in the g arage, but thats ok for now, I took him to renew his license and he failed the eye test, has an appt. on Monday withe the eye Dr., and then we'll go back to the RMV, he lost his watch, we (DD & I) have searched the house everywhere we can think of, he has a waste basket next to his chair and I think he might have pushed it into it, oh welll, good thing he wasn't wearing a Rolex!!  He used his watch to tell him the date and day....will try and get to Walmart and get him another  one.   Other than a terrible rash on my lowwer legs and arms I'm doing fine, my Dr. says its due to dry skin, I think I've tried every lotion and itch cream there is, the nurse at the wound ctr. told me to try Cortizone....made an appt with their Dermatoligist, bought some cortizone, when I got home I washed, rinsed, patted dry and applied a huge amt. of the cortizone.....first time I didn't wake up in the middle of the night scratching...looks and feels much better....DD has had a bad cold for 2 wks,she is not smoking as many cigs as before and may just be able to quit......snow plow guy has been right on the ball, only thing he hasn't billed me yet, I'll probably have to sign over my house to him (smile).  I'm sure you will be on your way to Texas before you know it Pingo and all will be so glad to have you there....take caare all. ss

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, if you split the cake, put the jam between and put confectioner's sugar on the top you will have Washington Pie! You see, in England they call it Victoria Sponge, after the old queen, so here it became (George) Washington Pie.  My mother always made it on Feb. 22.... 

In England, many desserts are named after people and places such as Battenburg cake (German princely family, one of Vic's daughters married one of them - the dessert is a cake made in squares of colour - pink and white or pink, white, brown - the English branch of the family changed their name to "Mountbatten' during WWI to show their patriotism) Dundee cake (Scotland)  Brighton rock (candy, English seaside town,) etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My mother's ancestry was English, and our birthday cakes were always a 2 layer cake with raspberry jam in the middle and chocolate frosting on top.  Still is my and my boys' favorite.

Interesting about the naming of the cakes.

Just a P.S. - nothing to do with the cakes actually.  Just got a kick out of G.T. yesterday, eating 2 of the popovers, and then taking a third and dunking it in the leftover broth in the bottom of his soup bowl!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Love bread and broth!

The small pans - it varies by each sort of bread how long I bake the smaller ones.  It also varies a lot for banana bread based on how much moisture is in the bananas!  My note said to bake the small pans 28 mins as opposed to one hour for the larger loaf.  I tested starting at 25 mins every 3 mins (toothpick) and they were not done until 34 - the bananas were large and very wet today.  The date bread, again, 1 hour becomes 35 says my scribbled note, but the testing is key...for that recipe I soak the dried dates in hot water and again it depends on the water content, the oven and even how many loaves I am baking and even which oven I am using - if I bake 8 it will take longer .... It's very much a trial and error process.

ETA I find it very worthwhile, however, because the small loaves are perfect for freezing and giving as gifts.  Also for making tea sandwiches.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm thinking of the small tin size loaf as gifts, have bananas in freezer and will attempt Winter's recipe in the smaller tins.  Great to send home with someone, which I like to do.

Just got an email from G.T. - had the leftover popovers for breakfast this morning.  So overbrown, pint size, whatever, I guess they did enjoy them.  I frankly thought they would eat the cupcakes for breakfast - seeing from whence he comes!  haha

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, tt, you guessed it. The timing was not good for an overnight guest. But what can you do? This was a planned business trip for her, and we are happy she added a couple of days to come and meet us, considering she left her husband in BH. She was in San Fransisco then in NYC. She was going to take the bus, but was lucky to hitch up with a friend, that is driving her here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they could just stay little 'til their Carters wear out....the shopping sprees I used to go on!  Envy you Pingo but all things have their seasons.

[/QUOTE]

Hats, I can remember my oldest daughter going off to kindergarden with her white with small yellow rosebuds 3/4 length shirt and matching underpants and a grey pleated skirt, they were Carters, she also had a blue set and a pink set....There was a store somewhere on Route 9 that sold mainly Carters....ss

Sections
Shortcuts