February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

Good morning,
    Not to take away from Winter's wedding thread, I have no suggestions to offer, but you can post right around me -

Valentine's Day coming up, which means youngest granddaughter will be over this week-end to make cookies.  Checking my sprinkle supplies, have to get out and buy some pink/red and maybe sparkle sugars.  Still have valentines to find for 3 that I didn't get the other day.  Love the holidays and a chance to send cards. 

Took the last of the hermits out of the freezer this morning to have with my coffee, so want to make up a new batch before Sat - G.T. and partner are coming down to take me to lunch to celebrate Valentine's.  They love gingerbread men, so I know they'll enjoy a batch of hermits to take home, freeze, and enjoy one at a time, as I have been doing.

The cleaning/clearing goes on.  Finally cutting up the heavy cardboard boxes printer and computer came in - too bulky to fold down, so I'm slicing them off in sections and bagging them for rubbish.  Had an accumulation of newspapers that I finally tied up to get out in the trash too.  Was glad to have the Vietnam Vets pick up a couple of bags of no longer worn clothes and a couple of pairs of shoes that I never even wore.

Good to see the sun, even tho the TV says the temps will only get into the 20's.  I can deal with that as long the roads stay clear for my errands.  Bought a couple of bags of a different blend of seed at Hannaford's, thinking it would be a treat, one is fruit flavored, but the last couple of days not too much doing at the feeder.  Perhaps they sense a hawk still cruising around.  Off to get started on my day - hope you all have a good one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Gee TT, your town doesn't have recycling?

Our town has just implented a 3..thirty five gallon barrel or bag limit...for trash...Recycling we have no limit. Cardboard and newspaper are good recycling candidates. They have even hired "trash monitors"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We've had recycling for years - I meant putting the tied up newspapers out on top of our recycling bin.  Glass and cans and plastic containers go in the bin and the newspapers have to be tied or in paper bags to be picked up.  They will not pick up boxes unless they are folded down, which mine are too bulky for me to do.  Hence the "slicing" and tying up.

P.S. opted out of their "subscribe" notification of new posts, and am moving around a lot better on the threads.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

SS, I will look fo you at Wacky Wenesday (*^*)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning tt,
    Looks like you have a couple of busy days ahead of you. Our boys Valentine parcels are well on their way, a big relief for me. I do not send out many Valentine's cards any longer. The cards have become so expensive, and even though my nieces and nephews are happy to get mine, they don't think of returning the pleasure. I have the rule: 3 years in a row, you are out. For some I still send e-cards, they don't cost me anything and still a way to let them know, I care about them. I am subscribing to Jackie Lawson, I believe for $14/for 2 years. She has some very nice cards for all occasions. http://www.jacquielawson.com
    Going to the office later today, even though I would love to stay at home. Got bitten by the baking-bug. Turning out breads, cookies and a pie. More satisfying for me, than crunching numbers. And while they were in the oven - I still did a good deal of office work at home.
    The roads should be fine for you to get out and do your errands, tt. Have a nice fruitful day - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---opted out of their "subscribe" notification of new posts, and am moving around a lot better on the threads.---

tt, I could never used that option, since we have so many spam filters, that "unknown" e-mails would never come through. Maybe that is why "they" like me better. LOL
    Glad you found a solution - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning chatters!  Hope everyone is staying warm this morning.  Its awfully cold out after those few days in the 40s and it sounds liek the cold is here for awhile.

Its a week late, but my pot roast is finally in the crock pot simmering away (or whatever it does in there) for tonight's dinner.  The veggies wil go in this afternoon and my plan is to pick up a fresh loaf of bread on my way home.  Yum! 

Is it Lily you'll be baking with this weekend, tt?  I love that name.  Friends of ours just had a new baby and her nickname will be Lily. Its so cute for a little girl!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, it sounds like you'll be having lots of fun with little Lily.  What kinds of cookies are you making?  Does she help you or does she just watch?

Pingo, thanks for the musical support on Saturday.  FI had a great idea last night.  To give the centerpiese away..while we are greeting each table we will ask them a trivia question for the musical that is there their table.  If they get it right then they get the flowers.  I told him he had to find the questions and he jumped on board.

Novemb, when's dinner...I'll bring wine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Novembride,
    Lilly (short for Lillian) may be down, but it is my 6 yr old granddaughter who is coming to bake.  I often wonder if they really do eat the LAVISHLY sugared cookies she brings home!  Enough sprinkles on them to choke a horse.  I let her do what she wants, I know she eats them because she starts on them here.  Her older brother is past the "baking cookies with grandma" phase, I'm sorry to say.  Hard to find things to connect with him on at this age - everything is the computer games - he wears an earphone and is simultaneously playing with a friend through the phone??  This last storm I told my granddaughter the next time she was over I was going to show her a pic of her dad and his brother in the doorway of a snow cave they had made when they were little.  I asked her if they ever play out in the snow and her answer was, "sometimes".  I think her idea of "playing in the snow" is when they go skiing!  A different generation with a certainly different broader range of activities they're fortunate enough to be able to afford.  My kids slid down a snowbank on a flattened piece of cardboard!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, great idea about how to give the centerpieces away.  You and your FI are certainly on top of things.  Your guests can't help but have a great time and your wedding with all the creative ideas will be one they'll be talking about for a long time.

Lilly is my great granddaughter, and as far as I know, not coming this week-end.  The two girls (6 yr old granddaughter and 4 yr. old great granddaughter) are sort of in competition for Nana's attention, so baking days are usually scheduled separately.  We make plain rolled out sugar cookies that they have free range of a couple of dozen cookie cutters to bake what they like.  I've learned to roll out and then chill the dough a couple of hours before they get here, then it's ready to just take out, put the cutters on the table, and let them go to it.  I put them on the baking sheets, they sprinkle away, and I bake.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I never have the problems I hear others having with BDC, and I never use the "subscribe" feature.  Maybe that is the answer to sailing along here?  The "new" forum format is riddled with bugs so I'm guessing the fewer features anyone uses the better performance they'll experience from the site overall.

It's so cold, again!  I hope everyone got their walkways cleared and safe before the freeze.  Darn, I'm so ready for Spring.  So ready.

A former coworker of mine called yesterday to say that layoffs in her department are eminent.  I'll be putting together her resume for her when she sends the raw material.  It's my "thing."  I hope I put together a dynamite one that gets her a new job fast.  It's tough out there, but I guess that goes without saying.

Oh, there's the sun!  Yay!  I need to go to the dreaded Walmart today for printer ink.  Ours dries up so fast I hate to replace it, but we are sitting on a couple of things we need to print so, sigh, must sck it up and buy more.

Have a great day, all,
    ~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I do think opting out of that feature was the right thing to do.  I no longer (for now anyway) have to login each time I move around on the thread pages.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, sounds like a fun time with the cookies...can I come over as long as I can leave before 4.  How old is Lily?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"How old is Lily?"

Winter, go back and reread my post.  It's OK, I know your mind is on more important things than the ages of my grand and great grand daughters!  LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I unsubscribed to the posts and unfortunately I am still not able to start a new discussion or reply to a post.  Dottie is looking into it. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I still cannot reply to a post either, but haven't been able to for a long time.  All I see at the bottom of posts is "report Abuse and Ignore ----".  that's why I copy and paste a lot when I'm responding.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have you done all the usual indiscriminate "fixes" like logging out and logging in and rebooting your computer?  Sometimes bugs like that don't stop wreaking their havoc until you clear out the cache in your computer, and rebooting does that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I got it tt.  They are both at such great ages. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I have rebooted but this is my work computer and it is shut down every night. I work for a computer technology company so I have the best.  I did have the ability to start a discussion and reply but strangely enough, that stopped.  Nothing on my end, so something with BDC.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I see the regular "new post - Reply to this post - report buse - ignore" are all back and running now.  Are you OK now too, Amber?

OMG, now they're gone again!  Yes, definitely BDC

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter,
    I love to see your posts, but I am boggled in my mind, how you have time for the Chat, with all the zillion things, you must do before Saturday. You must be such an organized person.
    Love FI's idea of the trivia questions. But please keep them easy and simple. By the time you will give out the centerpieces, everyone will have had a "few" - and their thinking may be impaired a bit. LOL
    - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wonder what is different between my experience and that of those who are having trouble.  I'm so glad I'm not the engineer assigned to figure this mess out given that some users have a plethera of problems and others have none seemingly with no difference between them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm happy just not to have to login a zillion times a day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo I am still at work so I can chat here in bwtween working.  I won't be on the computer Friday, but will be back at work on Monday and Tuesday.  The questions will be farely simple unless we know the table has seen the musical in question...then they get a hard one. We figure we'll do it as we great the tables while they are eating.  We only have 10 tables so we should be able to do farely quickly and people will likely be at the table while they are eating. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I LOVE the trivia idea especially for tables with people who might not all know each other already (or at least not that well).  What a great ice breaker.