February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

Amber,
    See, I just replied to your post w/o a problem.
    You working for a large computer company, so you "have the best" may be the problem.
    We have just a small company and our son (our IT person to go to) installed all kinds of programs to disable sites for our employees. Unfortunately we had to do this. Some of our employees were browsing all day. Son is also our system administrator and checks the log every day. He can see who uses the web-sites for what. 
    We have several pages in our Employee Manual about computer use and privacy there of. Everyone seems to disregard it.
    We do like our employee to have as mush freedom as possible, but when the production went down due to computer browsing and games, we had to stop it. I don't pay someone $50/hr. to browse the web-sites or play computer games. They do have an open widow during their 45 minutes lunch break to do whatever they want to do. - Pingo

In Response to Re: February Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]I have rebooted but this is my work computer and it is shut down every night. I work for a computer technology company so I have the best.  I did have the ability to start a discussion and reply but strangely enough, that stopped.  Nothing on my end, so something with BDC.
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I do have websites I cannot go into but boston.com is not one of them.  The tech guys work in the boston office with me and have verified that. I am not the only one having this issue, it is not my computer, it is BDC.  Hopefully Dottie can figure it out. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

And I only go on boston.com on my down time.  Not like years ago before computers when you had to "look busy". 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer,
    Our town has been recycling for years. I have been doing it from day one. But I think some people are just plain lazy. How hard is it to throw stuff in 3 different barrels?
    Our town has discussed having a "pay-by-bag" for trash with recycling for free. I am all for implementing this - or as you have, a limit on how many trash bags/barrels one can put out.
    I know of neighbors, that bring home office trash. How many bags of trash can a single lady produce in one week - and every week? This woman has at least 8 or 9 bags out there every week.

Some years ago, I had a girl come to clean my house weekly. One day she asked me, when my trash day was and if I would mind, if she brought over a couple of trash bags to place at the end of my driveway the afternoon before. Her town had a pay-by-bag pick up. Her aunt, who was living in my town, had let her bring her trash. But the aunt sold her home moving into a retirement place.
    I was dumbfounded.  Of course I told her "no". Not only was it not the right thing to do, but who did she think would clean up the mess, when the animals got into her trash? We have a lot of wild animals around here. That is why we use barrels and not trash bags.

Let's get a limit or pay-by-bag. I would be all for it - Pingo

[QUOTE]Gee TT, your town doesn't have recycling? Our town has just implented a 3..thirty five gallon barrel or bag limit...for trash...Recycling we have no limit. Cardboard and newspaper are good recycling candidates. They have even hired "trash monitors"
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Icer..I will be there, was there the other day, and put off a few things until today.  Got more lamb for stew, will do that next week.The mail truck is coming, must run and give them all my Valentines to mail. Take care, SS

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OK, what a good couple of hours I had.  Went to Michael's - love that store - and came out with not only my sprinkles, but $26 worth of other stuff, including grocery lists, and recipe cards for next year's Xmas baskets.  Then I went up to the Dollar Store where I picked up 3 more cards (funny and appropriate, can you believe it?) that I hadn't been able to find the other day.  Ended up at S&S for my molasses and one of their subs.  Got home just in time, almost, to see all of Y&R.  Icer, what is Adam up to?  Is he plotting all this to send Jack on a wild goose chase?  Is this new plot for Victor's benefit?  Clue me in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooh, how productive and fun this sunny day, tt.  What a haul - you must have gotten great deals if you escaped for under 30 bucks with all that!  Come November when I'm running around like a crazy woman, you'll be able to sit back and relax with a nice cuppa. ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Speaking of "cuppa" - that's another thing I picked up in S&S, more peppermint tea!  Got a box at Christmas and have so enjoyed a nice cuppa of that each afternoon.  I had a coupon for 40% off one item at Michael's, and when she discovered she had forgotten to add in the most expensive jar of glitter sprinkles, she rang those up separately and give me an additional 40% off that - pretty nice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, I remember sliding down behind the railroad with flattened cardboard..what a great ride...I did have a sled later on, my mom burned my name into the bottom of it with a poker...she retrieved it for me many times, thanks to her putting my name on it.  I use it today (painted it red) with my oldest dughters ice skates around the post, a strand of bells, and  a large ribbon on the front, it looks terrific during the holidays up against the tree in the front yard....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got a hilarious "church bulletin bloopers" on my email.  Typos in the church bulletins.  I'll share a couple with you today and save some for other days -

Miss Charlene Mason sang, "I will not pass this way again," giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be "What is Hell?".  Come early and  listen to our choir practice.

Potluck supper Sunday at 5:00 p.m. - prayer and medication to follow.

The ladies of the church have cast off clothing of every kind.  They may be seen in the basement on Friday afternoons.

Enjoy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Very nice, tt!

Speaking of money...  I just learned I'm in Grammy's will, a will I didn't even know she had.  That's all I know as it pertains to me...guess I'll know more soon.  I don't know how these things work; I've never been willed anything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've never been remembered in anyone's will either, Kargiver.  If it's like the movies, you're all called together for the reading in a lawyer's office.  I'll bet you're doubly glad now that you put forth the special effort to sing at her funeral.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, I'm extra glad I did now that you mention it.  It's all very strange.  I wonder if it IS like it is in the movies...I'll let ya know.

Those church funnies were cute!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I like the church lines.  Kar, that's exciting.  I have never been mentioned in someone's will before either.  Good luck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  You know, she reused one cheap tea bag for days?  She washed her tin foil and plastic wrap.  The only home improvement I ever saw her do was to replace the icky 40 year old kitchen carpet.  It never dawned on me that she'd have a will.

I haven't told anyone else yet...thanks for letting me think about it here.  I feel very funny about it all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

If she has a will, then she has money Kar.  So sad she never enjoyed it.  The saying "you can't take it with you" is so true.  But you must have been special for her to be in her will...  take that and run with it and don't feel funny at all.  Wonderful thing..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ambergirl. :) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I've only seen "report abuse" and "ignore" at the bottom of posts for ages now. However, I've had no trouble getting on the threads. 

I've been the lucky recipient of an inheritance a couple of times.  Never had to go to an attorney's office.  I received a letter in the mail and after the probate period, another letter and a check.  Some wills don't need to be probated, so it may be sooner.  I always felt very honored.  In two cases, it came out of the blue.  "Pennies from heaven" as my great-aunt used to say after winning at the race track.

A woman walking in front of me took quite a spill today after we exited the subway at Copley.  I thought for a moment she was knocked out.  I tried to help her up and she got into a sitting position and told me she just wanted to sit there for a moment.  I looked around and there was black ice everywhere in front of the BPL.  Why doesn't the city pay attention to this?  I helped her up and took her to the nearest DD and got her a hot chocolate.  She said she just needed to sit for a moment.  When I got to the office, I called the DPW and reported the icy conditions.  A colleague came along after me and told me they were out there sanding and had blocked off the sidewalk. 

It's was a cold walk to the subway last night.  I should have taken a cab.  Today wasn't as bad, but the wind is brutal.  

mothermitzi   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    That is really exciting. I have only heard of people being willed in movies. Most friends of mine got their inheritance, while their parents and grandparents were alive.
    I hope you don't become too disappointed. She could have willed you a box of tea bags or her leftover roll of foil, you know ;) Your grandmother sounds like an eccentric lady.
    Glad for you, that you did sing at her funeral, as she requested. That must please you now.
    Good luck - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

The streets are treacherous downtown too mm.  I have seen more than one person slip and fall.  I also take the orange line and it has been horrendous all winter.  The excuse from the MBTA is the trains are old.  Ok, well then replace them....  I have had 2 - 3 hour commutes and I have been late coming in at least 3 days a week.  I also take a bus and they have been no better.  Don't get it as this is New England and something should be figured out.  I froze waiting for the bus this morning.  Hopefully the commute home will be better.  I heard on the news this is the last artic blast of air we should have for the winter.  Warmer temps coming next week, thank God!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS did you and Icer meet up at "Wacky Wednesday's"?  She has an unfair advantage - you told her what to look for for you, and you'd have no clue if it's her if you bumped right into her!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mother mitzy
    what a good Samaritan (sp?) you were. Bless you for that!
    No matter how careful one is these days - with the rain and ice, one never know. The City should definitely have been proactive and sanded and salted the side walks.
    Funny, you know - with this new city ordinance, I think the City is cutting their own legs. Now that everyone have to shovel their side walks, there will be a lot more icy side walks. Sometimes it is much better to leave them snow covered, your shoes/boots will get a much better grip.  But of course, what do they care. They can always say, you didn't clear them enough.
    I am definite NOT pro suing. But I would suggest this lady sue the city. I really hope she will. This accident  was inexcusable. I am glad YOU are safe.
    I feel so lucky, I don't have to use the subway/busses. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't. We have no transportation reaching us in any way (and still we pay through our taxes for the ones that have, never figured this one out). Still, I do feel for you guys, who have to go through the transportation battle every morning and evening.Winter as well as summer.
    Mm, I think that cup of chocolate, did this lady more good, than you will ever know. One day, you will feel the hands of a good Samaritan, I am sure.  -  Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, BDC is definitely trying to shove me out.  Now not only do I have to login, but they tell me they have no record of my login or password, for me to reregister - -  Persistent devil that I am, they finally accepted what I've always typed in.  This glitch is definitely on the part of BDC.  So, if you don't see "tt" for a while, you can ask Dottie what they did with me!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just so you know tt, I am replying to your post.
    This is terrible - can't have a Chat w/o you. I am so sorry, you have to go through all of this. Please keep tryng to post.
    I am in awe, since I had no problems. Will try to e-mail my friend at BDC and ask her, what the heck is going on. A long time poster like you (and I) should not have to be treated such way.
    Bless you my dear. Please hang in there. We will try to figure out what is going on.
    - Pingo

[QUOTE]Well, BDC is definitely trying to shove me out.  Now not only do I have to login, but they tell me they have no record of my login or password, for me to reregister - -  Persistent devil that I am, they finally accepted what I've always typed in.  This glitch is definitely on the part of BDC.  So, if you don't see "tt" for a while, you can ask Dottie what they did with me!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hope I'm not disappointed, too, when I get the used tea bags and foil!

tt, I hope BDC solves your issues soon!  How frustrating.