February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

Thanks TT - I'll pull it up tonight and see what I need for ingredients. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Novem - Crisco, sugar, 1/2 c. molasses, baking soda, warm coffee, 1egg, 3 cups flour, cinnamon, cloves and raisins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Winter - Dad's big day is the 16th

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I promised myself, I would bake those Hermits, the last time you did them. But then my baking bug got me off track for other things. In a way I am glad I didn't do them, since you re-sized them. This weekend - maybe. Or the next when PB son comes home for the holiday. Yeah!
    I think it is fine to print a recipe, as long as one name, from where it came. (Just made a poem, LOL)
    It would only be a great advertisement for them.

November, I just love your idea of giving homemade things as gifts. I am sure your Dad will love those Hermits more, than anything you could buy him. Maybe we are going back to "the good old days". This is what people used to give gave as gifts. Home made baking goods and home made crafts. I remember as a child, how excited I was to get a pair of hand knitted gloves, from my grandmother. Not mittens, but gloves.Try today to give a child a pair of home knitted mittens or gloves? You would end up in the psychiatric ward.

November good luck baking your hermits, I may join you. And thanks tt for guiding us to the recipe.
    - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think you both will be pleasantly surprised how easy these are - and fun too - what with sort of rolling out long ropes of them, and then when they're baked, cutting them into individual hermits.  The important thing is to remember to leave an inch or two between each rope, if you can, because they do swell and spread.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I love hermits, too, and plan to make a batch for our ski weekend.  They are a favorite of my father and son.

The improvements that were visible to me on the threads this morning have disappeared.  Obviously, there is a bug they need to work out.  Unlike tt, I still have no problem accessing the threads.  Weird!

Broke down and took a cab home tonight.  I walked out the front door of our office building and decided the searing cold wind was not for me. I have turned into a wimp!

mothermitzi 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

No, Mothermitzi, not a wimp, just being cautious, particularly after seeing the fall of another woman yesterday morning.

I couldn't even get in to Boston Globe first page this morning when I clicked on the favorite setting, instead a Boston Globe ad filled the page.  I went in the old way I had had saved on my previous computer that brings me right to the forums page.  I'm really disgusted.  Have no problems with any other website.  Enough about that tho, it's my problem with BDC.  If it keeps up I'll eventually tire of it.

Have my morning pretty much planned out in my mind of all I want to get done.  This afternoon I'll save for baking the choc. chip cookies for grandson.  Looking forward to the sugar cookie decorating Sunday, besides pink and pink/red/white sprinkles, I bought a jar of sparkly crystal white sugars.  Think they'll look pretty sprinkled in with the plain pink or red sugars.  Did up the kids' Valentine bags yesterday, I always have bought more than I realize.

Off to get breakfast for Cheerio and me and then get right to my plan to whisk through the downstairs plus wash the kitchen, hall and bathroom floors.  Send me energy - I'll need it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    The news say 15 degrees out, but they are lying. It is 6 degrees here right now. Wonder what it was during the night. My kind thoughts to all of you, who must get out this early and have to travel on trains, subway or busses.

Sounds like you have the day cut out for you, tt. I can't send much energy to you, since I will be doing more or less the same. Bed is stripped and the load is in the washer. Then on to pick up the house and mopping my tile floors. Floors are a pain these days, with all the snow and salt - even though we change into slippers as soon as we get home. Have a couple of errands to do, which I will wait to do until it hopefully gets a bit warmer out. Then baking, if I still have the energy. Otherwise that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Heard the washer stopped. Going to transfer to the dryer. Have a nice day. Chat later - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That was very kind Pingo to think of us commuters....  I got very lucky and caught my bus right away and the train.  Not a lot of people out for some weird reason?  Next week is suppose to warm up and I can't wait.  I hope everyone has a blessed day!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Pingo
    You really do get an early start.  I'm still in robe, sipping coffee and enjoying an end slice of the hermits (that's the fattest, biggest piece!).  Watching/listening to the young kid next door try to maneuver his truck between their 3 cars, down my side of the driveway, without hitting either my house, cherry tree, or car.  They aggravate the h*ll out of me.  There are 2 separate paved driveways, but they use mine like their own.  To keep peace I say nothing.  Once summer comes I go back to parking further up my driveway so it eliminates that problem, and eliminates the necessity to saying anything.  During the winter I park in front so the plow can do the driveway along the side of the house. - Ah, he finally got out and moved one of their cars so he could back out.

No work at the office today for you?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---You really do get an early start.---

Some days I surprise myself. Besides, I have no hermit to enjoy w/ my morning coffee. Will have some next week. I am still in my robe as well. Who says, one cannot work in a night gown and robe? If I had to get ready first, that would kill my good intentions.
    No work today - Friday is usually my day off - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have tried 3 times to post.  As soon as I hit "Add Your Post" it disappears, and then it tosses me out too and I have to log in again.  I've had it.  I'll try next week.

Have a good week-end everyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, tt! Don't know if you will be able to read this, but I feel so sorry for you. Can't think of anyting to help you on this issue, except it may be your browser. But that would be an issue for BDC to take care of.
    So far (and I hope I don't jinx myself) - I have had no issues.
    Hope you will have a nice weekend despite you not being able to chat. We will definitely miss you.
    I know GT is taking you out for Valentine's - so that will be something to look forward to. Maybe one of the boys have a solution.
    Have a lovely lunch, dinner or whatever. - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi All! Winter, I haven't been able to check in the past few days. You're probably off the boards now,but best wishes to you! I am looking forward to hear all about your wedding when you return. You must be SO excited. bg.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Anybody here?  I miss you all.

How about the news in Egypt?  He's out.  Now what.  I can't really talk too intelligently about the ramifications, but I know it's a BIG deal. 

DH is taking the day off.  Good thing.  My car died when he tried to move it out of the garage.  Said the electrical system went kaflooey and thanked God I wasn't out at the time.  He's a whiz with those things and will be able to fix it, but I am thankful, too, of course.  Could have been anywhere, anytime, and it was home in the garage.

Oh, Dr. Phil's back on...my guilty daily pleasure.

~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm here, Kar (sorta).  Busy day all around I suppose.  You sure are lucky.  If there's ever a good place to have car trouble, its in your own garage.  Especially where you live off the beaten path a bit.

Hope you enjoyed having DH home today.  I'm sure Gracie did.  Did they go skiing or hiking?

I'm looking forward to warmer weather this weekend and hope to get a good long walk in with Jax.  We both need it. I could walk him on the street now to avoid the sidewalk ice, but I don't like to at night since he's small and dark. I started agility with him this week and we both loved it.  His tail was wagging so hard I thought he was going to sprain it! 

Happy weekend to all. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    So, it is Saturday, what is on your agenda? I know tt will be "busy" all day logging in to the Chat (hope not) - if she has the time, her son will treat her to a Valentine's lunch or dinner. Have a great time, my friend. May we know, where your son is taking you?
    As for me, I didn't get to the baking yesterday - so that will be on my agenda this morning. Besides, I bought a pork roast WITH THE RIND ON yesterday at Hannaford's - first time I ever saw one. I am going to roast it this afternoon trying to re-make my childhood crackles. Then of course serve it with sweet and sour red cabbage and tiny potatoes. Already started the cabbage, which is simmering right now, dispersing a wonderful aroma in the house.
    mm, I was thinking of you all day yesterday, with the news coming out from Egypt. Would this mean, your son will go back there? For yours and his sake, I hope not. Bless him!
    My dryer just chimed. Chat later - Pingo

ETA. How could I forget? On Winter's agenda is her wedding - YEAH! Finally the day came.  Just put on the Phantom, Les Miserable will be next. Wishing her and her FI/DH many years of happiness.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all!

Nov, thanks, yeah, if the car's gonna break down yay for it being in the garage.  It's nice to have DH capable of fixing most things, too.  Gracie was left behind yesterday with Mommy while DH went out for a little snowmobile ride.  We live very close to the Rail Trail that is groomed and goes for many, many miles. 

We're looking forward to the warmer weather, too.  I have to admit I don't exercise Gracie enough when it's super cold because I just hate it.  I do make sure she gets enough, and I don't allow her to lounge all day, but I don't go overboard.  If it's 40 degrees I'll be much more apt to walk her on the leash.  I get lazy with being able to put her outside with the neighbor's dog to play given we have the invisible fence.  That's great you've started agility with Jax and he loves it so much.  There's SO MUCH benefit from that, exercise being the least of it, really.  He gets lots of opportunities to obey and be rewarded in rapid succession so it really strengthens your bond.  Of course, you know that, I'm just thinking aloud. :)  Gracie was good at the agility part of puppy kindergarten.  Aside from the "wait" (similar to "stay") command, that was about all she was good at at that age. So glad she's a good girl, now. Phew! 

Have fun on your walk!  And, the days are getting longer; soon you'll be able to walk him after dinner and still have it be light.  Yahoo!

Is anyone here this morning?  I'm about to get my second cuppa...

I found a recipe for lobster rissoto in this month's Cooking Light.  It doesn't seem all that "light," but I'm gonna make it.  Will head to a real grocery store while DH is out on the snowmobile.  He's come to the realization that Spring is coming soon, and if he's going to get the sled out he better do it while he can.  He likes to ski, but not to the exclusion of everything else.  He does like that sled.  I'm glad, actually; it gives Gracie a much needed break from those long hikes through the snow which are not too great for her joints or her pads.

Have a great day, everyone!

Blessings,
    ~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    We posted at the same time. Sounds like your outdoor man are having fun. I never liked those snow mobiles, saw a lot of bad accidents at the ER. Gracie must be so pi**ed, she could come with him.
    Lobster risotto sound divine. For an early Valentine's dinner? Do you have a Shaw's in your area? They have lobsters on sale this weekend for $5.99. I was thinking picking up a few to cook for later enjoyment. I will put on some music, sit quietly and pick the meat, freeze it - then use it later in casseroles or such. 4 lobsters will usually give me close to 2 lbs. of meat - a bargain. Plus I get all the wonderful broth to use for clam  and fish chowder, bisques and such.
    Hope your car is all set and fixed, so it is safe for you to drive. I always have that worry, what to do if the car suddenly breaks down somewhere. I am a good driver, but not when it comes to odd blinking lights on the dash board. Those freak me out.
    Chat later - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Pingo - yes, missed you post as we were typing at the same time.  You guessed it, Gracie was devetated.  She went from window to window howling for a good 20 minutes after he left in the truck without her.  She doesn't understand "later" so she has no idea her turn is coming this afternoon.  Yup, DH is in his glory.  He is very careful, but I'm not too fond of his going, either.  Accidents are common.  But, what can I do, chain him to the stove?  Nope, so better to give him a kiss and a smile than to bicker about it and make him feel bad about doing one of his favorite things.

You found rind?!  YAY!  I'm sure you'll be in heaven with your crackles.  Enjoy!  Thanks for the Shaw's tip.  I don't have one anywhere near me, but take heart, lobster has been a good deal everywhere for quite some time.  I'll not pay too much.

Mm, I'm a good driver, too, but that doesn't do us much good with the clicking of the alternator and crazy flashing lights on the dash, for sure.  Thank God for my DH and, when necessary, AAA...especially in the cold months.

I better get a move on and clean up last night's kitchen mess (I was lazy and left it for this morning!), get myself together and ready to go grocery shopping when DH takes Gracie skiing.  I've never known anyone enjoy the snow sooooo much.

Hope Winter is enjoying her wedding weekend and not stressing out...she seemed amazingly calm last week so hopefully that's carrying through.

tt?  Glad we at least know you are having computer issues so we don't have to worry about worse things that might keep you from posting.  We miss you!!  I wonder if you log in from a public computer if you'd experience the same problems.  That experiment might tell BDC something, but what a pain.

Speaking of experiments, we're having trouble with our TV.  I think it's the TV itself, but DH thinks it might be the cable box and wants me to have them bring out another and see if the issues go away.  They'll probably charge us, and I believe I've ruled out the cable box as the problem, but what the heck, it'll make him happier to spend $$ on a new TV if we absolutely rule out the cable box, and, hey, I could be mistaken.  I hope so.  We have a big TV space to fill in the built in cabinet.  Would look ridiculous with anything smaller.

OK, gotta run for now.  Have a great weekend.  Will check back, of course.

~kar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I don't know, which cable provider you have, but with Comcast changing the box is FREE, if you can bring it in. We have a Comcast store 10 minutes away from us - and whenever we had to go there - not a penny lost.
    We had ours changed 3 times, before we got a "good" one. They keep fixing the boxes that comes in, then give them back to whatever customer. So you may have a recycled one. Also, we just learned, that the have boxes for different areas. Did you get the right box?
    The last time, DH demanded a brand new box, all sealed in the original box. Now, we have no problems. I am not a tech by all means, but plugging it into the wall circuits, instead of your other devices may also solve your problem. This is what my son did. We just wish, we had known.
    Good luck! How can you not watch Dr. Phil? I am truly kidding. I dislike that guy with passion.  But as you say, we all have our "daily pleasures". - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I laugh at myself, my friend, at the Dr. Phil thing - I want to dislike him, but I just find it so entertaining.  Maybe it makes me feel like we are more sane than I thought. Laughing

Thanks for all the great tips!  I guess I should have thought about the recycled boxes; maybe I'll start off trying them to get us a new one.  Thanks, again!!

Oh, here's DH, now, having returned safe and sound.

~kar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No, my friend. Don't try - demand.
    Glad to hear DH came back home w/o a scratch. Gracie must be in heaven right now.
    - Pingo

Ps. Making your Spiced Almonds as I am typing. DH is playing his tennis - when he gets home, he will be so surprised by the aroma whiffing into his nostrils. LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, good point.  I can do that.

I bet your house smells divine, what a treat for Dear Mr. Pingo!  I must admit, though, if they are my recipe I don't remember them...maybe another Chatter's?

Yes, Gracie is all calmed down now that DH is home safe.  She's taking a little nap all sprawled out on her bed.  She's out cold after a morning of fretting and fussing.  He's upstairs in the massage chair, and she's not allowed upstairs.  She is a very good girl.  I think it's been at least 4 months since we had to deal with that issue.

Just found the February newsletter from the antiques shop up the street where I like to putt around and visit with the dear owner.  She's about DH's age, 8 or so years older than I am.  Lovely person.  Anyway, she is hosting a wine and cheese event today with a local winery and goat dairy farm.  FUN!  I'll be hitting that before I go grocery shopping.  Making my list now.  Lunch is on the back burner, my standby pantry dish of black beans, quinoa, salsa, and grated cheese.  DH loves it, and I always have the ingredients.

How are you cooking your pork?  I wonder how you turn your lovely rind into mouth-watering crackle.

~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---I wonder how you turn your lovely rind into mouth-watering crackle.---

So do I. LOL
    I do remember my mom score the rind, and boil the roast in a bit of water - rind down - for maybe 20 to  30 minutes. Then turn it around and sprinkle it with lots of salt and stick in some peppercorns and bay leaves. Then place it in the roasting pan - rind side up - with the juices from the pan.
    Degrees? Have no idea and however long she kept it in the oven, I really don't know. But I will use my meat thermometer. When the roast was done, she would put the oven on very high heat to brown the rind.
    I think I can use the broiler.
    This is really an experiment for me. Will let you know, how it turns out. I am doing a trial run for when our sons comes home next. If it works out, they will both be so delighted. My DIL not so much. She thinks anything fatty is "gross". But the thing is, when you roast pork for so many hours, all the fat is rendered out. Fine with me. So much more for us. LOL
    Your wine/cheese party sounds like a great outing. I would definitely go, if I were you. Great addition to living in the country side. We don't have them around here.
    Happy grocery shopping - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts