February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

pingo, your pork roast sounds yummy.  I cooked one a couple of weeks ago.  I just sear mine in a hot oven, lower the temp and roast away.  The drippings made a great gravy, using a gravy separator of course.  I love a pork loin, too, but only have it in the summer, cooked on my grill.  Nothing like a roast of any kind on a cold winter's weekend.  Funny, my daughter is like your DIL about fatty food, or what they perceive as fatty food.  She's not really a cook and doesn't understand that food prepared properly does not have to be fatty and still taste good. I was doing the cooking on the weekends and she did not like the fact that I gave the girls hot dogs on Saturday nights.  Ironic, considering she ate them every Saturday night growing up and she's as thin as a rail today, not to mention healthy!  I chuckled to myself and served them anyway.  I told her everything in moderation and once a week will not kill you!  

Was up and out early today.  Drove to Russo's in Watertown and got some produce and fruit.  They are my port in a storm during the winter when the farmers market is closed.  Got some beautiful swiss chard, baby spinach and a head of cabbage that will last me all week.  They have  a great assortment of cheese and I picked up a case of Malbec, too.  So, I'm stocked for awhile.  I have bought lobsters at Market Basket, too.  What I love about it is they cook them for you if you like. No smell in the house.  I don't have luck freezing lobster though.  The couple of times I did it, the lobster was a bit watery and rubbery when I thawed it.  Any tips to share on that?   

Who knows what will happen in Egypt?  It all sounds good now, but who knows what the future will bring?  It's all very unstable right now.  When I was there I noticed many poor people.  Not surprising this happened.  You can only suppress people so long.  The older generation seemed more accepting but the young were disillusioned.  My son is still in the Middle East in another country. Not sure if he will go back to Egypt.  I will be very happy to see him in a week or so when we go to Maine. 

Well, I'm going to go over to the Y and get on the dreaded treadmill.  Can't really walk around here and I need some exercise, even if it's at a slow pace. Sidewalks have been cleared along the river but they are not down to the concrete.  After the Y I'm taking my father to dinner and then I'm going to make a batch of the hermits tt made.  A trial run for the ski weekend.   

kar, glad your car is ok.  Thank goodness it happened in your garage and not on a dark road. I've had good luck with AAA.  Being alone here, I have called on them now and then.  Last year, my battery was dead and they sent battery service and replaced it on the spot.  Also comes with a 10 year guarantee.  Perfect for a person in my situation.

Have a nice afternoon everybody!

mothermitzi      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I bet you remember and have more knowledge than you give yourself credit for and your trial run will go famously.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.  I think I'd set the oven at 325 - what do you think?

Many wine shops have wine tastings in the cities and burbs.  I used to one to one monthly in Framingham at the Wine Warehouse (next to Whole Foods on Rt 9 W).  Ask next time you go if they have them and for a schedule!

MM, I got AAA right out of college and have had it ever since.  I also especially appreciated the peace of mind when I was single.  But, DH isn't always available for emergencies (or reachable) so I keep it.  And, the discounts are good, too!

Off I go to the shop and the grocery store.  Hope to be home before DH gets home.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes Kar, 325 degrees is, what I was thinking of too.

Rt. 9 is a bit too far from me, but I am sure there are liquor stores around here, that have wine testing. It is just, I never go to any of them. I do the grocery, DH do the wine and the liquor. I wouldn't know, what to pick. All bottles look the same to me. Only thing I do know is, I prefer a red wine for a white and a cabernet for a merlot.

Our son and DIL belongs to a wine club. We let them stock up for us, when they are up here. When they were here for Christmas, they both oh-ed a ah-ed over a wine they found at Costco. They had just sampled it in TX. It was only $7. It is a great wine. They bought 12 bottles for us.

AAA is such a great thing to have. Keep it! My DH's card says, "Member since 1967" - imagine that. We have the "Plus" family membership and have both boys covered. It gives us parents peace of mind.  Unfortunately we and the boys had to use it a few times. "Plus" means, they will haul you to any place of your choice w/i 100 miles. It does not cost very much more, but is so convenient. Like to be able to get the car to your dealer f.ex.

AAA also offers a lot of discounts on hotels, amusement parks, national parks etc. all over the country. Even Target will give you 10% off, ordering on line. I am sure, you must know all this. I just wanted to mention it, in case anyone was interested in a membership.

The beeper sounded. My banana bread is done - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Logged in ok, so as long as my post doesn't go "poof" - - - -

Went to lunch at my choice, Capone's in Peabody.  Love their marinara sauce and got what I almost always end up with, spaghetti and meatball.  G.T. had the scrod and partner a chicken/pasta dish.  Poked in Christmas Tree Shop and picked up a few things, forgot to look for pens, all of mine are just about done.  Came home to tea (picked up a caramel latte for me on the way home) and hermits.  Guess the hermits were a big hit, I sent a dozen home with them and there are only 8 left on the cake plate.  Added that recipe to those G.T. had asked me to write out to put in the recipe book he had asked for for Christmas.  Coming out of restaurant heard someone call to us and it was someone G.T. had worked with years ago in Boston - small world.

Cheerio is a happy camper, had her claws clipped so now she doesn't get stuck in every rug she walks across!  Got a few other things taken care of, and I'm all set for a relaxing day tomorrow baking and sprinkling.  Of course I can't find the clear bags I just bought at Michael's to put cookies in  - half afraid I threw them out with the outside bag.  Had to put the hermits for the boys in a regular ziploc.  Guess they'll taste just as good - they laughed when I told them they could freeze them - like - yeah, right!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, sounds like you had a lovely lunch - but spaghetti  and meatballs? Couldn't you choose something more exciting? Hope for you, you had the greatest meatballs ever.
    I do this all the time. Buy something and forget, where I put it. So, don't feel bad. The bags will show up, when you least expect it.
    My banana bread is in the freezer for son to bring back to PB. Still didn't get around to bake the hermits. My pork roast is in the oven. Didn't realize, how long it would take to roast it. So, if I did the cookies and hermits, we would be eating after I went to bed. LOL
    They will have to wait until tmw.
    Glad you had a good time and you got a few things out of the way. The boys took care of your Christmas tree, I suppose.
    Have a wonderful and relaxed evening. Winter must be a Mrs. Winter by now. Congrats Winter - Pingo

In Response to Re: February Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]Logged in ok, so as long as my post doesn't go "poof" - - - - Went to lunch at my choice, Capone's in Peabody.  Love their marinara sauce and got what I almost always end up with, spaghetti and meatball.  G.T. had the scrod and partner a chicken/pasta dish.  Poked in Christmas Tree Shop and picked up a few things, forgot to look for pens, all of mine are just about done.  Came home to tea (picked up a caramel latte for me on the way home) and hermits.  Guess the hermits were a big hit, I sent a dozen home with them and there are only 8 left on the cake plate.  Added that recipe to those G.T. had asked me to write out to put in the recipe book he had asked for for Christmas.  Coming out of restaurant heard someone call to us and it was someone G.T. had worked with years ago in Boston - small world. Cheerio is a happy camper, had her claws clipped so now she doesn't get stuck in every rug she walks across!  Got a few other things taken care of, and I'm all set for a relaxing day tomorrow baking and sprinkling.  Of course I can't find the clear bags I just bought at Michael's to put cookies in  - half afraid I threw them out with the outside bag.  Had to put the hermits for the boys in a regular ziploc.  Guess they'll taste just as good - they laughed when I told them they could freeze them - like - yeah, right!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Why go for something different when you love the tried and true?  I love their meatballs and the sauce.  That's usually my meal of choice when I go there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Pingo, go back to 2/6, page 9, and look at the avatar for your 10:00 am. post!
    Never mind - it's back to your normal one now.  Strange boards, these.

Threw out some saltines for a squirrel who was sitting on top of the snowback staring at the kitchen window - Cheerio was crouched down as small as she could get - my walking back into the kitchen set seagulls who had landed on my walk, to fly up - probably to my roof!  I'll keep the camera close by.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Remember when my avatar went to the "finger" once?!  Glad that didn't stick that way, LOL!!!

What a lovely lunch, tt, with GT and partner.  So nice to have them nearby and close to you. 

How did the shoulder and crackle come out, Pingo?

My parents and at least my mother's folks (not sure about Dad's) have also always had AAA.  I grew up with it so I can't imagine life without that card in my purse!  My folks had Plus, too, and had us 5 kids all covered.  I remember my mom using it for movie tickets for as long as I can remember going to the movies...so funny a "car service" company can bring back fond memories of childhood...and of saving our tails, too.  Love their 80s tagline, "Sooner or later you'll break down and get AAA."  I always thought that was one of the most clever ones of all time.

DH took me out to an early V's Day dinner last night at our favorite restaurant, a total surprise!  It was romantic, delicious, thoroughly enjoyable in every way.  If any of you are in the Worcester area any day but Mondays (closed), check out EVO.  It's the restaurant associated with the health food store "The Living Earth."  The calamari was a masterpiece of taste, texture, and presentation.  I sent huge compliments back to the chef for it.

And, since my dinner out was a surprise, I had already picked up a lobster to make the lobster risotto I found in Cooking Light this month!  So, I cooked him this morning instead and am making the broth to make the rice right now.  Will let that cool and start up the recipe again an hour before we want to eat.  Didn't want the lobster to die before I got around to dinner.  Here he is having made the ultimate sacrifice:

tt, did your post go through on the first try?  I hope you didn't have to struggle with it.  Thanks for keeping up with us despite the pain it's been.  Your presence is always sorely missed when you are away.

Who clips Cheerio's nails?  Are you the brave soul?  I clipped one of Gracie's quicks last week, but she forgave me.  It's so hard to see on black nails, but I am getting better.

DH is out, again, on the snowmobile.  Sigh.  I hate to imagine a police officer coming to the house, but I can't help myself.  Can't wait to see his smiling face upon a safe return.

Enjoy the warm front, everyone!!

~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

G.T. is the cat nail clipper.  She holds still for him, and so far he's never cut the quick.

Just got a call a minute ago, my cookie decorater will be arriving in about 45 minutes.  She's doing up her homework as we speak.  Her timing will be perfect, dough will have been chilling for 2 hours.  The last couple of times I've been rolling out the dough before I chill it (saw that on one of the Food Network channels) and it works out well.  I take the wax paper sheets out of fridge, and she's set to go.  Never did get around to make the choc chip for grandson.  May do up a batch of brownies with choc chips for him instead.

Nice Valentine's dinner surprise.  Now today you can celebrate yet again with the lobster risotto you're planning.

I understand your concern when your husband goes snowmobiling alone.  I'm sure he carries a cell phone with him tho.  Heard on the news this morning of a jogger who was a hit and run victim, ending up in a ditch, and he was able to use his cell phone to direct people to him for help.

Still have to relogin, but at least my first post didn't disappear.... here's hoping ....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oops, forgot the lobster!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've never heard of a cat sitting still to get its nails clipped - they must have a special bond.

Have fun with the cookie production today!  Mm, I discovered when I was pressed for time that rolling the dough while at room temp was so much easier. 

So strange it bumps you out every time, but at least your posts are displaying for your trouble.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all,

Even though my crackle was amazingly perfect and delicious, the roast was a big flop. What I didn't realize when I bought it, it was sliced all the way through in slices. Ever seen that? Besides, when they said "bone in" they truly meant it. More bone than meat, maybe that was why, it was sliced. We did enjoy the crackle, and the delicious gravy, it made - eating it with tiny Yukon Gold boiled potatoes.

What a nice surprise, Kar. Maybe we will have to take a trip out your way to try your restaurant. DH loves Calamari. Hopefully DH is back safely by now, after his snow mobile trip.

tt, you must be in sprinkles up to your elbows right now. Lots more fun, than trying to manage the forum.

Nothing special planned for today. If I get around to it, I will make some dinner rolls and another couple of trays of Sugar Cookies. Just feeling kind of lazy today.

Enjoy the warm day - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, gosh, what a disappointment about the pork being sliced!  No, I'd never seen a shoulder all sliced before, just spiral ham.  And, the bone!  My shoulder was 12 pounds, and had two large bones, but the meat was abundant...lasted for a few meals.  BUT, a big thumbs up for your glorious crackle and gravy.  A treat for sure that must have made up for the meat. :)

The calamari dish had deep fried jalapeno slices (that got very mild in the process) and, get this, halved large green olives with pimentos.  The peppers added a perfect amount of heat, the olives awesome texture and, of course, saltiness, and the calamari was cooked to tender, sweet perfection.  Oh, and there were a few roasted cherry tomatoes, too.  Served with marinara.  Dishes like that are ones that I'm happy we went out for because I don't leave feeling like I could have done better myself for a 1/10 of the price.

DH is not home yet, but he was gone another hour last time so I'm trying not to get all worked up over nothing.

Other than the risotto I won't start 'til about 5, I don't have anything going on, either.   I should start a kitchen candle - I love lobster, but I don't adore the house smelling of reduced lobster broth!

~kar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Baking assisant has come and gone.  Three hours is just the right amount of time for all of us.  We made and decorated the cookies, I made a batch of brownies with no nuts but with chocolate chips, we played school with the little family people, she drew a new pic for my chalkboard (present one she drew at Christmas, a manger), we got in a couple of games of WAR, and then divied up both the cookies and brownies into two batches, one for her family and the other for her cousins.  Sent what was left of the hermits along home with her too, since my son grabbed a couple when he first came in.  Oh, and in there somewhere, we had her favorite  lunch of pasta and butter.  I called my other son to let him know there was a tray of goodies wrapped and waiting on the table for whenever he could drop in the next couple of days - but feel bad there are no hermits to send along, since I know they all love gingerbread men.  I'm resting a bit and then will make up another batch of them to leave with the other tray.  They're easy.  Got a cute pic ofthe two of us showing our baking prowess, but unfortunately, can't post with our beautiful faces!

Sounds as tho everyone is in the baking/cooking mood today.  I loved these brownies, will definitely throw choc chips on top again.  Never can have too much chocolate!  Back to the kitchen for me, and my next batch of hermits.
    Chat later.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ummmm, Kar.
    I am salivating. Anxious to hear how the risotto turns out. That lobster of yours looks like a big guy. i try to buy mine just 1 and 1/4 lbs. I find them more tender, than the big guys. Besides they fit in my pot. LOL
    When the boys are at home, I will buy 6. 2 for each of them and 1 for each of us. Works out well for us. Then I will pick the heads and we will have plenty for a small (hotdog size) lobster salad roll.
    Yes, the pork shoulder was a great disappointment, but we saved the meal with the crackle - which was so, so, so good.
    Right now I have a bread in my Panasonic, plus I am cooking the bones from two left over Costco chickens. Can't say enough about those Costco chickens. For $4.99 I get 3 meal out of them, plus a salad. We eat as much as we want, the day I buy them, with cranberry sauce and my pickled cucumbers. Make Chicken-Pot-Pie from the the breast meat, chicken salad from whatever is left of the meat. Then save the bones and cook a wonderful stock to use for soup. I am sure any deli chicken will do as well.
    No, we are not having the soup tonight. My SIL and her DH are flying back tonight from visiting their daughter. Their car has been in our garage for the past 6 weeks and they will stop by to pick it up.  They will be here late tonight. So later on I will make burritos ready to just fry up on the griddle, when they come. I have already made guacamole (sp?) and salsa. Maybe, I will make another batch of cookies, while waiting for the bread.
    tt, how did you do with the cookie production? Pictures?
    Enjoy what is left of the day - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, looks like we posted at the same time. Sounds you had a glorious afternoon. How old is this little assistant of yours, if I may ask? What a lovely activity for her and her Nana.
    Have to go and stir the soup. Chat later - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Granddaughter is 6.
    Second batch of hermits is done, cut and cooling.  Think I could have left this batch in a few more minutes.  It's touch and go as to how long to bake them.  I think this batch was in 18 minutes.  Tester in the middle came out clean, so I took them out.  No harm done, they'll taste good anyway.  Now to put my feet up and read some more of the latest James Patterson, "The Postcard Killers". 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt,
    My last batch of sugar cookies just came out. I was going to make the hermits, but I gave DH a choice, of what he wanted to bring to the office tmw. for Valentine's Day. Definitely my spicy sugar cookies. So that is what I have been toiling with for the past hour.
    Also, while doing those, I had my Costco chickens simmering. Well, whatever was left of them. I call it my 2-2-2 soup. Leftover bones from 2 Costco chickens, 2 carrots cut in chunks, 2 celery bottoms, 2 celery sticks cut in chunks, 2 onions cut into quarters. Cover w/ water and let it simmer until the veggies and chicken bones are  "dead". Strain it - and you will have the most lovely broth.
    Now I have to get going at my burritos for my SIL and husband. I am not going too crazy, since it was a last moment decision. Have the tortillas and will use canned refried beans, since it takes a day and a half to cook my own. Made the guacamole earlier from frozen guacamole. Thawed it and  added some chopped tomatoes. Same with the salsa. Bought some fresh salsa a few days ago. I just added a couple of chopped tomatoes, a chopped onion and one chopped Texas pepper (very hot) plus 1/2 cup of frozen coriander chutney. It actually came out a lot better that I expected.
    Think it is time for me for a short nap. I have to stay up late tonight, to feed my relatives.
    Chat later - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The lobster was 1.44 lbs, not as big as he looks; the pan is just a little toaster oven one so it makes him look like a 5 lber.

tt, what a GREAT 3 hours with your little helper.  And, what a plethera of goodies!  I'd be in trouble there.

pingo, hope you get in a good nap.  DH and I did after a late lunch we had when he got home.  now, it's Gracie's turn - they left about 10 minutes ago. 

What time are they due to get the car and have those good eats with good ol' mom?  Hope they have a nice flight that arrives on time.

Now the house smells like lobster and a kitchen candle, lol.  Oh, well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---the pan is just a little toaster oven one----

Hahaha! Chuckles! Oh my, you definitely fooled me. Thought it was a cookie sheet and a giant 5 lbs. lobster.
    How was the risotto? I have never made risotto, never mind lobster risotto. The thing of keeping stirring it while adding broth a bit a the time, makes me nervous. I somehow know, I will burn it. I usually do things right the first time, but there are just those "other times". Like my latest disaster with the pork shoulder :(
    Did have a lovely well deserved nap w/ Mr. P joining me. Feel so refreshed now. Wish I could do this every day of the week. Don't you?
    My SIL is landing at 8:30, so I expect them here by 9:30. I am ready for them with my burritoes and whatever goes with it. I even have a small desert for them. Individual pies. But I think they will just want to get out of here - the sooner the better. That is what I would want to do after gone for 6 weeks. I don't even think I would stay for dinner.
    - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Perspective is a funny thing, isn't it?!

The risotto came out great - it's really easy.  I use a silicone spatula and stir away.  Never had a problem.  I think it's one of those dishes people perpetuate the myth that it's hard to get extra praise for doing it, LOL!  You can add just about anything, too, at the end of cooking time.  Always have extra cooking liquid - you won't believe how much it soaks up!  I made it once having discarded what I thought was unnecessary, and it came out less than creamy...too stiff.  That's the only pitfall if you follow the directions.

How was the evening?  Did they arrive on time?  Hope no big delays.

Happy Valentine's Day, all!!

~kar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    imagine that - 43 degrees  today? Watered and fed the birds, and it felt so good to be outside and not to have to rush back in.
    Our relatives landed on time, and they were very appreciative, that I had something for them to eat. They left their daughter's house at 11:30 am, so the had been traveling for 10 hours all included. They were hungry and tired.
    Thanks for the tip on the risotto. I think I will attempt to do it sometime. I have that lovely chicken stock, I made yesterday. Now have to get the special rice.

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Happy Valentine's Day to one and all.  Off to an early morning appt.  Chat later.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning everyone and Happy Valentine's Day!  I just cought up on all of your weekend posts... and am now starving!

Congratulations Mrs. Winter!!  Hope you had a wonderful time Saturday!

I also, unfortunately, didn't get to make the hermits.  We had a plumbing emergency that took up a good deal of my Saturday.  It is great to have plumbers in the family, especially whenthese things happen on a weekend, but I inevitabley end up being drafted as an apprentice.  I spent a good part of the day holding wrenches and running from sink to sink to toilet to toilet filling and draining and flushing.  The hermits will have to be for another time.  On a good note, the new couch arrived in the midst of all this mess!

Another highlight - booked a long weekend girls' only getaway for Mom and me.  We did a weekend away for the two of us for years when I was in school, but haven't gone since I've been married.  DH and I are trying for a baby now (Mom doesn't know), so I really wanted to go at least one more time.  Once there is a baby (hopefully there will be one), I think it'll be harder to get away for a few years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, new Mrs. Winter!!

Oh, yes, the warmth is a joy.  I'm heading out to meet a friend for lunch and don't have to dread the cold or worry about Gracie being out too long.  She likes it at these temps and prefers to play outside.  No need for the stove "hugging."

Nov, isn't it great to have handy people around?!  And, post a pic of the couch!

OK, I'm off - I like to head in to town early and putt around before lunch as long as I'm driving that far.

Have a great day, everyone!

~kar