February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

Good morning everyone.  Thank you all for the well wishes.  The day was everything I hoped it would me.  The weather was beautiful and we got a picture or two outside.  I don't have pictures yet but I'll post a couple when I get them.  I decided not to work tomorrow as I have not packed for Hawaii or finished packing for the move. 

Everyone's mention of food has made me very hungry this morning.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Congratulations Winterbride....Hope you and the Mr will have many,many happy years ahead of you along with your son.
    Happy Valentines Day to all. SS

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Congratulations, Mrs. Winter!
    So happy for you, that everything went well. But why shouldn't it - you worked so hard to make the day perfect.
    i am very anxious to hear, how it went with the Musical tables and the center pieces.  I am sure your theme must have kicked up the atmosphere a notch. Did you get a chance to use the sentence, you wanted to? Where did you do your outside photos? There is not much pretty looking up at Village Green,
    Looking forward to a review and some pictures.
    But in the meantime have a wonderful honeymoon. Chat when you get back - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, all but one table knew the answer to the trivia questions.  We received many compliments on the cocktail/dinner music which pleased me as I spent much time writing down the songs we wanted. 

We took a couple photos in front of the barn.  We hoped to get the sunset but it was behind the mountains.  We had a friend decorate an arch and it was beyond my expectations so we took many pictures in front of that.  Also my MOH and I took some photos in the lobby of the Sheraton Colonial in Wakefield in front of the fireplace so I'm hoping those are wonderful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Winter for responding, even though you must be in a "fog" right now.
    How much love that friend of yours must have put in to decorating the arch, that pleased you so.
    Can't wait to see pictures. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Sounds magical Winter.  I, too, can't wait to see the pictures.  And I'm happy to hear your trivia was a success! 

I hope everyone had a chance to go outside today and enjoy the warm(ish) weather!  I met DH for a lunch date and it was so nice to walk out the door and not be hit with an arctic blast.  In another sign of spring, and much to puppy's excitement, the weekend's melting unveiled a strip of grass about one foot by 6 feet along our morning walking path.  Real, actual, albeit dead, grass. Based on how long he stood there sniffing, I imagine he's not the only dog in town to have found it.  =) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

OMG..I never expected to get Winter's update so soon...Of coarse, all weekend long..ones thoughts go to" Wonder how its going with Winter's day?" So glad all went well
    Congrats Winter and Cheers to your life with your Winter partner(******Snowflakes)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Going out for this morning in a bit, but will login and post (if it lets me) so you know I'm still here.

Congrats Winter.  Icer is right, you popped up in our minds all week-end long.  So much planning went into your big day, I'm glad everything went off without a hitch.  Is your new home all ready to move into now?  Have a wonderful time in Hawaii.  I know you'll love it, so beautiful there.

How was your lunch with your friend yesterday, Kargiver?  There's a little diner I've passed a zillion times, always cars there, and I always think, "Some day I'm going to stop in there."  Yesterday as I was driving by, I did.  A little mom and pop type place.  I think they just serve breakfast and lunch, but it's good to know the next time I'm taking an early morning drive past.  Seem to be a lot of "regulars" who were quite friendly and willing to include me in their conversation.

Hate to see the temps drop again this morning, yesterday was great.  You felt as tho you should just stay outdoors all day long, so as not to waste it.  Much to do when I finally do get back home today, so may not be on boards again.  Hope you all have a good day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Good chilly, windy, morning! It is predicted to get much warmer as the week goes on. CONGRATS WINTER!!! It's always exciting to start a new chapter in life. My D.D. has had so many appts lately that I was seriously backed up with housework. I decided to take today and tomorrow off to catch up.It's a good thing I did, because D.D. woke up feeling miserable with a sore throat. I would have had to take the days off anyway.Her school and teachers have been very, very supportive to us through her hospitalizations. She is a bright girl, sweet and highly motivated. She goes to an exam school, and they even provided us with extra tutoring to catch up. Through all this, I felt I needed some help in dealing with this, and asked my M.D. for a referral, and now have a wonderful therapist wich helps me so much. I have a far better look on life. This thread, and all you posters help so much too. Have a great day All!bg

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, lunch was very nice, thanks.  A friend of about 20 years is a treasure.  Is it possible we're both approaching 40 and 50, now?  I guess so...it is 2011, and if i do the math...yup, that's right.

How fun to drop in that diner and join in with the regulars.  I have done that many times, and people are always so friendly.  I'm a regular, now, at my town's diner.  Not the greatest food, but it's not why I go.

DH surprised me with roses last night, and the pork tenderloin came out super flavorful and juicy, just a little pink in the middle the way we like it.  We ate the whole thing, and it was on the big side for a tenderloin!  Too much meat for one meal (it was a few "decks of cards!"), but sometimes you gotta just eat what you want of something.

He took some leftover risotto to work for lunch.  Chili is on the menu for tonight.  I should make crackers to go with...

Must heat up my cuppa - I like it steaming!  Surprised

Later, girls,
    ~kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Spring must be coming -- the buddha's head is again above the snow.  A little bird was visiting him this morning, looking for the font of water that is always available at his feet

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

t.t., such a cute picture! I really enjoy the picures posted here. I also lurk the bridal threads when they post photos. bg

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a great one, tt!  You compose such good story pics.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Great pic, tt.  I'll be watching for more Buddha.. better indicator of spring's arrival than the groundhog prediction!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Great picture, tt. It says more than words could do. Shows us just how bad this month of January was. I was going to say "winter" - but it is not over yet. Unfortunately! Hopefully we got the worst over with.
    I know, this is OT, but it reminds me of the time I asked my dentist about all the Halloween candies the boys received. He chuckled and told me, "Let them eat the entire bag at one sitting. They may get an awful stomach ache, but it will not ruin their teeth as much as eating one piece at the time for the next several weeks". He was a wise guy. This is what I hope this winter is all about.
    Where is this "hidden" diner of yours? Sounds like a place DH and I would love to visit.

Kar, so good to meet with old friends, isn't it? I have a few, but as we get older, it is getting more and more difficult to meet. Even though we try hard, there always seems to be something coming in the way. We do chat on the phone and we e-mail, but it is not nearly the same, as to meet in person. Treasure this, as long as you are able to.
    I am confused. Did you serve the lobster risotto with the tenderloin? Just can't imagine you would do that. Did you make the pork tenderloin "my" way? If so, please tell me, how it was received.

Bg, I am happy for you, that you have found someone, you can talk to and help you. That is a wonderful thing for the healing process for all of you. And it is good to hear DD is progressing.

Yes, it is cold out there due to the wind. Was so surprised this morning taking care of the birds after yesterday's "heat-wave".
    Oh well, Buddha is sticking up his head telling us, "Winter will be over soon!"
    - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

...I'm wondering when we'll ever see our little tree next to Gracie again, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I served the risotto Sunday and made the pork last night - you're right, what a terrible combination it would make, lol!  DH saw a recipe on the FN over the weekend that he asked me to make, a ginger/cumin rub version (Cumin Ginger Rubbed Pork Tenderloin).  So, being Valentine's Day...  But, I have another one in the freezer and I'm looking foward to having that gravy next time. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ummm! That sounds great too. I think you could have rubbed your tenderloin with the cumin/ginger and the proceeded the way I do them. In fact, I may try that the next time, I still have one frozen. I usually just use salt and pepper.
    We had pork tenderloin too. But this time I cut it up in 2 inch pieces, flattened and floured them and panfried them in butterfor a few minutes. Then served them with plenty of smothered onions. One of DH's favorite dishes. Not a spectacular V-Dinner, but something homey and good. We did open a bottle of red wine for the occasion.
    This was our 45th V-Day we spent together, and we had lots of laughs on, how we spent some of the ones gone by. Our first V-day was in 1967 - DH took me out to Anthony's Pier 4 for dinner. When he got the bill, he realized he had forgotten his valet at home. Fortunately, I had enough cash and paid the bill. We had plenty of laughs about that since. I still have the red umbrella, he gave me that day. Why a red umbrella? That is another story.
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: February Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]Pingo, I served the risotto Sunday and made the pork last night - you're right, what a terrible combination it would make, lol!  DH saw a recipe on the FN over the weekend that he asked me to make, a ginger/cumin rub version ( Cumin Ginger Rubbed Pork Tenderloin ).  So, being Valentine's Day...  But, I have another one in the freezer and I'm looking foward to having that gravy next time. 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, wow, 45 years together, how awesome.   What a great first V's Day story, too - adorable.  He must have been dying of embarrassment!

If you combined the two recipes, I bet you wouldn't need the jelly to make the gravy - it was crazy flavorful with the cumin, red pepper, and ginger.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Pingo, please tell the story about the red umbrella! Don't leave me wondering. (I love personal stories)b.g.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

I wasn't prepared for the cold wind this morning, even though I knew the forecast. Well, we have to take the good with the bad and we had a couple days of melting and should have more later this week.  Unfortunately, I was watching my favorite weatherman, Matt Noyes (sp?), on NECN last night and he predicted another two week cycle of winter weather after this weekend - ick.  

Had a great Valentine's Day.  Was greeted with a dozen red roses from my son and family when I got home from work last night.  He ordered them online. Amazing what you can do from so far away.  Also received handmade Valentines from my granddaughters and a half dozen red velvet cupcakes - yummy.  

pingo, I loved the story about your first Valentine's Day with DH. Boy, in those days, Pier 4 was a place to impress.  I guess he was after you!  Don't know what it's like today.  There's been so much construction and change in that area, but they seem to be hanging on.  

bg, glad you are getting therapy. Very important.  Also glad your DD is making progress.  I hope her sore throat is better soon. One of my granddaughters has been home from school yesterday and today.

tt, the picture of the buddha head is a great shot!  It's almost two months now since I've seen the ground around my house.  Looks like kar has twice as much snow in her area.  

mothermitzi  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Hello,
    Since I can't start a new post thought I would post here.
    Trying to decide if I should buy the NOOK or Ipad or neither.
    Does anyone have experience with either?   My main use will be to read books/mags, travel and days at gym when I ride the bike.  Would like color for mags.  I have heard good and bad things about both both from people and reviews.  I think the most important was that the NOOK had a backlight and antiglare so you can read in the dark and/or outside with out any issues.  The Ipad was not good for this.
    Suggestions/thoughts?

I don't think I will see ground in my yard till June.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi allreadymarried -

My SIL has an ipad and likes it.  I don't own one or a laptop, just have my Mac at home so I can't help you much with feedback.  My only comment is that it is heavier than I thought it would be.  My SIL likes his because he doesn't have to lug his laptop everywhere.

The kids gave me a kindle for Christmas and at first I thought I wouldn't like it. However, I was wrong.  It's great for traveling.  IMO, the best feature is the built-in dictionary.  If you come across a word you don't understand, you highlight it and get the meaning.  I think that's  a great feature. I downloaded a couple of books when I traveled recently and appreciated not having to lug a book with me on the plane.  I must admit though, when I'm at home, reading on the couch or in bed, I still like the feel of a book in my hands, so I don't use it at home.  

mothermitzi   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi mm, I believe Pier 4 closed a few years ago.  Business was terrible and the food went way downhill.  Jimmy's Harborside also closed.  I had my wedding reception there.  Both were great restaurants, sad to see them go.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Oh No , I guess I'm pumpsygreen again. Oh well. Take care all. Spring is coming soon! Hmm. maybe 6-7 weeks? bg

Sections
Shortcuts