February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

I went to Pier 4 about 20 years ago, and the food had started to go downhill at that time.  I knew of the fabulous (and earned) reputation it had for excellence and took a friend visiting from NC.  I almost didn't accept my meal it was so bad, but since I was taking her out and I didn't want to put a damper on our time (and I was 20), I let it go.  But, it was downright awful.  However, I know that 45 years ago it was THE place in Boston to go for a guaranteed extra special evening.  If they couldn't get back on track from went I went I'm surprised it took 15 whole years to close.

allready, wish I could help, but I only know one person with one of those things, a friend's mother with an ipad.  I think she mostly uses it for pictures of the grandkids, but she really likes it.  Sorry, I'm not a gadget person. 

BG, we'll know it's you.  At least when your alter ego appears it's the same one each time. ;)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG, had no idea Pier 4 closed. I knew about Jimmy's (that was a great place too then), but not Pier 4.
    I agree with Pier 4 going down hill though. My DH and kids took me for dinner there for one Mother's Day many moons ago. DH had made reservations way ahead w/o me knowing.
    As one should expect, there were lots of people. But instead of being seated in the restaurant, we were seated outdoors near the ocean under a tent like thing. Not only were we freezing our b*tts off - one of those very cold spring years - but there was no atmosphere and the service was just terrible. No, horrible actually. They must have hired a bunch of young kids, just for that day. But our kids were young, and they thought it was so exciting to take Mom for dinner at a special place (don't know, how they kept the secret, but they did) so DH and played along as if it was the greatest meal we ever had. But we never went back.
    - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

In Response to Re: February Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]Hi mm, I believe Pier 4 closed a few years ago.  Business was terrible and the food went way downhill.  Jimmy's Harborside also closed.  I had my wedding reception there.  Both were great restaurants, sad to see them go.
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think they're still open.  My boss's parents were in town and went to the ICA last week.  They had lunch at Pier 4.  Didn't report on the food though. I remember going to the No Name shortly after they tore Jimmy's down.  I couldn't believe the restaurant was supported by pilings.  The place always seemed so big to me and all that was left were a few pilings sticking up in the water. 

A lot of people may not agree with me, but I think they should have built a new stadium in that area.

mothermitzi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh mothermitzy, No Name - the very best fish place in town. Their fried clams were better, than I have ever had. But of course, I haven't eaten them for a very long time :( maybe just a taste or two. I liked the rustic place though.
    It reminded me of Legal Seafood, when they were at their original place in Cambridge - Inman Square or something like that. You sat down on long wooden tables and benches and the food was reasonable and awesome. - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Haven't been to the No Name for awhile, but always enjoyed the casual atmosphere, too.  I used to take the kids to Legal's in Inman Square because it was so cheap.  Boy have they expanded. I still go to Legal's occasionally.  When people from the NY office come to town, they like to go there.  I think the quality is still pretty good, considering their size and how long they've been around. Inman Square is full of good restaurants these days.

mothermitzi

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Up and at em early this morning, thanks to Cheerio and her wake up call of knocking things off the bureaus.  I'll have to run the dust mop under them today because I heard a couple of things drop to the floor, and don't see anything.

Have taken a large boneless chicken breast, and containers of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and vegetable broth out of the freezer in prep for tonight's supper.  A chicken soup of sorts has been roaming around my head for a couple of days now, so tonight's the night.

Just saw the Best in Show from the dog show on Today this morning.  Until you see the deer hound (I think was the correct name of her breed) against the backdrop of people sitting on a couch, you don't realize what a really long, big dog she is.  "Hickory" will be retired now to her Virginia farm to have the run of acres.

A leisurely day today with perhaps some more purging of old files.  Don't want to waste the beautiful weather promised for tomorrow and Friday being inside.  Hope you all have a good productive day too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

He's just a few pounds bigger than Gracie.  She's enormous.

Now, I'm dying for a fish meal out.  I like Legal's, Skip Jack's, and the Sole Proprietor.  I've heard other wonderful things about No Name over the years, but I've never had the pleasure of trying it myself.  Downtown Boston is not my stomping ground anymore, and 70 miles is a real road trip as far as dinner goes. :(

Not sure what we'll do today, but Gracie is out of gizzards/hearts and marrow bones.  And, I'm out of cream for my cuppas.  So, two tragedies need to be remedied!  LOL

I made chili last night and used our onions (which, turns out are OK after the garage freeze - can't say the same for the squash, though) and a few frozen tomatoes.  It was the best ever.  I used a Wachusett Nut Brown Ale in it, too - excellent.  It's on the sweeter side, and I like that in chili - it enhances the little molasses in there. 

Mm, chicken soup sounds good, too, but now we have a mountain of chili.  Of course, I could freeze some...we'll see.

Have a great day, all,
    ~kar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

mm, you are right about Pier 4.  I am really surprised it is open.  I worked down the waterfront about 6 years ago and my company had their Holiday party there.  Was terrible.  Both food and service.  We all heard they were closing, but that obviously didn't happen.  My apologies for the wrong info.  Jimmy's also went way downhill.  I remember taking my daughter when she was a teenager.  I was so excited for her to eat where her father and I had our reception and I raved about the food.  Well it was just awful.  The no name restaurant was the best ever!  My husband introduced me when we were dating.  Hands down the best seafood for cheap.  Nice memories today : )

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

No need to apologize amber.  The only reason I knew was because my boss's parents just ate there.  I'm going to go to the No Name tonight.  A friend is coming up from the south shore and didn't want to take the red line because it's so cold.  No Name has a parking lot, so we'll go there.  Besides, a fish dinner appeals after talking about it!  Pier 4 is on a very valuable piece of land and with new development encroaching. I wonder how long they'll last.  Somebody will make the right offer for the property and that will be it.  The Hilltop on Route 1 is another "institution" that has gone way down.  People used to line up for hours there.  The last time I went, it was really bad.

There used to be a paddleboat tied up alongside Pier 4 called the Peter Stuyvesant, I believe.  They used it for functions and we had my parent's 25th anniversary on it.  I think it sank in the Blizzard of '78.  

mothermitzi 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Off to doc's appointment - nothing serious. Chat later - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, the Hilltop was deplorable the last time I was there, and that was about, say, 11 - 13 years ago.  How do these places that used to be SO GOOD deteriorate and then STAY in business another 20+ years?  How long does a good reputation that isn't justified last?  I mean, when Pier 4 and Hilltop were still good, the people who work there today weren't born.

Pingo, have a good appointment; watch those snowbanks!  It's like a driving test out there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Friends,
    Had a couple of minutes before leaving. Checked my e-mail, and this came in.
    Are you ready for a Wednesday morning chuckle?

Written by a third grader, on what his grandparents do.

After Christmas, a teacher asked her young pupils how they spent their holiday away from school. One child wrote the following:

We always used to spend the holidays with Grandma and Grandpa. They used to live in a big brick house, but Grandpa got retarded and they moved to Arizona . Now they live in a tin box and have rocks painted green to look like grass.  They ride around on their bicycles, and wear name tags, because they don't know who they are anymore.  They go to a building called a wreck center, but they must have got it fixed because it is all okay now, they do exercises there, but they don't do them very well.  There is a swimming pool too, but they all jump up and down in it with hats on.  At their gate, there is a doll house with a little old man sitting in it.  He watches all day so nobody can escape.  Sometimes they sneak out, and go cruising in their golf carts.  Nobody there cooks, they just eat out.  And, they eat the same thing every night - early birds.   Some of the people can't get out past the man in the doll house.  The ones who do get out, bring food back to the wrecked center for pot luck.  My Grandma says that Grandpa worked all his life to earn his retardment and, says I should work hard so I can be retarded someday too. When I earn my retardment,   I want to be the man in the doll house. Then I will let people out, so they can visit their grandchildren.

PRICELESS

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Cute story, Pingo!  It took me a minute to figure out the part about jumping up and down in the pool. 

I have to agree 100% about Hilltop.  We won't eat there anymore.  the food adn service are so bad.  But, surpisingly, their functions are good - and the traveling chuckwagon BBQ is really good.  Maybe a different person or company runs the catering?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Soup is simmering, brownies are baking, and Cheerio's napping.  When I was lugging the groceries in the front door, a sparrow hopped out of the insides of one of the topiaries, sat there, and chirped away the whole time.  I think when he saw all the bags, he was chirping, "Isn't this a glorious day?  What's for lunch?"

Checked the back roof and all the ice/snow has melted except for one section where there is still ice high in the gutters.  Hoping the next couple of days takes care of that.  Have to get on the phone later and make some plans for the next couple of days, so as not to miss the warmth of being out in the sunshine. -   Buddha is still only head high out of the snow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am not a gadget person either, but have you thought about a MacbookAir? My son bought one, when they first came out. He absolutely loves it. He has the other Macs for desk top and lap top, but this one is his favorite. He knew he didn't want an iPad. I don't know his reason, but it was something he was quite adamant about. He travels a lot to conferences around the world, and can carry it everywhere - like a book. This little thing is small and so light, that his lap top feels like it weighs a ton. It also  has a top to close, so one does not have to worry about scratching it. Plus it has colors, anti glare and hi-def screen. Plus it has a normal size keyboard. http://www.apple.com/macbookair/
    HTH - Pingo

In Response to Re: February Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]Hello, Since I can't start a new post thought I would post here. Trying to decide if I should buy the NOOK or Ipad or neither. Does anyone have experience with either?   My main use will be to read books/mags, travel and days at gym when I ride the bike.  Would like color for mags.  I have heard good and bad things about both both from people and reviews.  I think the most important was that the NOOK had a backlight and antiglare so you can read in the dark and/or outside with out any issues.  The Ipad was not good for this. Suggestions/thoughts? I don't think I will see ground in my yard till June.
    Posted by allreadymarried[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cheerio has the right idea - napping in the glorious scent of chicken soup and brownies wafting around.  Is he drooling in his sleep, lol?

I noticed a thread in electronics (I think) today about these pad gadgets, have you seen it, allreadymarried?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    So we got company! Adding to our animal farm are now 2 coyotes on our rear lawn. No wonder we haven't seen the cats for a week or so. We have been watching some tracks, we couldn't determine. Too large for cats, too small for deer. Now we have to worry about those as well. I am glad it is not dark anymore, when I get home from work. I would be scared beyond anything meeting them close by - like f.ex. bringing out the trash barrels or picking up my mail. I am a wimp.

How did your soup turn out, tt? Sounded like great additions. We are on for soup tonight too. I am using the broth I made the other day from the Costco chicken. Saw a super easy and quick recipe. It is just broth, salsa, tomato sauce and kidney beans. Plus some diced root veggies and peas. Maybe I will add some hamburger. I made the most delicious dinner rolls the other day. Froze most of them. Will take out a couple to go with the soup.

Most of our ice is gone, but we still have quite a bit of snow on our roof. The flat part we shoveled, but the sloped part, we did not. Still a good foot there. But it is dripping away, so hopefully after this weekend it will all be gone.

Enjoy the mild weather - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Trying to get my act in gear this morning, had plans for errands to run, but so far am absolutely energyless!

Soup was very good, this version of a chicken soup I make quite often and love - boneless, skinless chicken breast, onion and carrots cooked together, then broth from that turned into a large pot, adding vegetable broth, large can  of diced tomatoes, small can tomato sauce, couple of dashes of hot sauce, cooked chicken and vegetables added and simmered for a bit, then some shell pasta cooked right in the sauce (this thickens it up a bit).  Yesterday I had picked up some of the Pepperidge Farm thin bagels and toasted one of those to go with.  Made a very tasty meal, and plenty left, probably a couple of more bowls plus a serving to freeze.  I have added a little salsa sometimes too, depending on just how much kick I want to give it.

I know coyotes are scarey to see, but they really are more afraid of you than you them, unless you're in between them and a food source.  Haven't seen any around here this winter, tho the other night I thought I heard one howl.  The snow in my yard is still way too deep for them to manage walking.  Did you see the news broadcast of a fireman, I think, releasing a coyote who had gotten it's leg caught in a picket fence?  She turned and looked at him as tho she was saying "thank you", and then got her bearings and took off.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Coyotes, yikes...and, I bet they are extra hungry with all this snow cover.  I hope the cats remain safe and sound.

Gracie and her boyfriend are out right now, wrestling like they're killing each other.  Always astounds me that they can play that way and never get hurt, not even a scratch.

It's gonna be sooooo nice today!  Betting Gracie will make a trip to Petco and Trader Joe's.  Not sure.  Would love to clean all the bathrooms today...

Careful out there!  We have a lot of ice on the driveway from the melting and freezing.  You?

~kar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My driveway is clear, melting trickles have not frozen.  At the rate I'm going it will be noon before I'm ready to travel anyway.  Did make a "date" with my cousin for tomorrow to get me up and out and in the fresh air.  Don't know what my problem is this morning.

Have a story to tell about my "therapeutic" hermits.  One of my DILs has stomach problems that severely cut back what appeals to her and what she can eat without pain.  My son called this morning and said that of course, the sugar cookies and brownies had disappeared with the kids, but that he looked at the pkg. of hermits this morning and there was only 1 left.  Kids haven't even tried them.  DIL said she always loved hermits, tried one when he brought them home, and apparently her stomach hasn't balked at them either,  because she's continued to eat them.  --  "TT'S MAGICAL MEDICINAL HERMITS"  --

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That is so nice, tt. That you found something your DIL can enjoy. Is this your DIL w/ the BC? Maybe the medication, she is taking, make her feel that way. I remember Kar told us about her SIL, that could only eat one kind of chocolate. And she went miles to buy it for her. Bless you, Kar. What a bond you two must have.

tt, maybe the coyotes are more afraid of people, than we of them. Or so the learned say. Don't count me in believing that.
    I have a coyote-phobia. The first "wild" coyote I saw was in Yosemite. We were taking pictures of the gorgeous landscapes, when one coyote went to our car looking for food. I froze. I thought I would die - truly. We have had them on several occasions in our back yard in the wooded area, but never this close.
    You are more than welcome to come and pet them if you like. LOL

Kar, our driveway is complete clear due to the snow blower, we use. It gets down to the black top. We used to have someone come and plow it. But them going back and forth, they made such a mess packing the snow down pretty good. And we would have an icy driveway for months. The trick it to have no one drive on it until it is cleared of snow. DH sometimes have to go out several times, when the storms leave several feet of snow. But it is "easier", if one does not let the snow pile up. Anyway one look at it, it is such a pain. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So nice about the magic hermits, tt!  I think it's all the love you bake in.

Oh, yes, I'd go to the end of the earth for my dear SIL.  I always wanted a sister, and now I have one.  She is doing well, but is ramping up for a cosmetic surgery to even her out in mid March.  We'll be going to Shear Madness after she recovers.  I can't wait!!

I think after the sun does its thing today our driveway will be clear, too, but DH can't plow down completely; we have a stone driveway.  What a mess that would be!  Here it is in warmer times:  (ETA: Actually, it's a photo of the apple trees in the background, but a good shot of the driveway is on the right)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, that photo warms me up already.
    I can see, how the crushed stones make a big problem during the winter- Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Usually, it's not slippery, but the melting/freezing weather really does a number on it.

Isn't it nice to be reminded that it does get warm here?!  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Drove up to Home Goods, looking for a new mattress cover.  Finally found one that wasn't $55.  As I was leaving, noticed the Wild Birds Unlimited store you had told me about, Pingo.  Stopped in and got a 20 lb. bag of seed.  Owner and father (and dog, Blue) are very nice.  It's so beautiful out, I hate to come back in.  Plan on spending most of tomorrow outdoors, if possible.