February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

O.k, I'm game I'll was my "on the coach" blanket.

I just finished the Y&R...it was interesting.

This is what I did with the sheet Mom had on her old bed(She got one of those electric ones)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A neighbor's dog I recognize (from their walks on the road) is wandering loose - Gracie had a fit when she saw him, alerting me to his presence.  It's not her usual pal so she was pretty agitated.  I feared it was a coyote when I saw Gracie react.  So, I went out (alone) with Gracie's leash and treats, and started calling him, but he was gone and not coming to my whistling.  I have no idea which house is theirs so I was hoping to get a phone number off of his tags, but no luck.  Gracie's out there now.  If she starts barking I'll know to run back out there.

So, in my trudging around out there and noting where the snow came up on my boots I'd say we have about 7".  Seems to be lightening up.

She's sniffing tracks, still, so I guess the dog is really gone.  Hope he finds his way home soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beautiful material for the curtain, Icer.  Seeing the macrame plant holder makes me think of the class a couple of neighbors and I took, back when I was in my 30's.  We all made plant hangers and were so proud of ourselves.  One neighbor, my Fla friend who came up to live with her son last year and passed away on Good Friday, branched out and made a macrame lampshade.  Up until her passing, that shade still sat on a lamp in her rustic Lanesville summer cottage.  Wonder if the son who took over the cottage kept it - if not, G.T. or I would have loved to have had it.  Your sewing machine reminds me of the first time I ever met her, she was recovering from disk surgery, and was sitting at her kitchen table, stitching colonial pattern drapes for her dining room.  She was always making curtains, slipcovers - very clever with her hands.  Thanks for bringing up nice warm memories of her, altho they're never far away, I have a wonderful picture of the two of us in my l.r. that was taken at G.T.'s a few years ago when she was up visiting me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I ventured out for some fresh air and to investigate the snowfall.  I'm not a great judge of these things, but I think we have about five inches, all light and fluffy.  The snow is still falling gently, but steadily. It'll be a slow ride home tonight for sure.

Maybe Icer should make the curtains to go with my new couch.  Apparently my couch will also need an afghan... any takers?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, you and I are working in the same colors today - afghan that came out of the dryer a little while ago -

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

My stuff is in the dryer.
     Funny how these similiarities crop up!(colors)  I just love those colors TT, and thank you for allowing us into a treasured memory. My former MIL made me a few plant hangers like that years ago. I think I will shoot off a picture to her, I bet it will make her day to see her plant hangers still in action

Please be careful on the way home Nov...I was out early and it was a mess, I can only imagine wht its like now, or worse yet, at rush hour

Honey just got home and is running the snow thrower,rummm rummm  I am so relieved, He had the roofing crew and they were shoveling roofs today. I don't have to tell you...I have a few more gray hairs this afternoon, oh well...Thank goodness for L'Oreal 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"My former MIL made me a few plant hangers like that years ago. I think I will shoot off a picture to her, I bet it will make her day to see her plant hangers still in action"

Nice thought, Icer.  It surely would.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nice curtain, icer, and love the afghan of almost exact same colors, tt!  Neat.

Oh, yes, I'm sure it would make her day to see her plant hangers still in happy use, icer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Kargiver.  That's my standard basketweave pattern square that I make all my afghans in.  Have one started (a couple of years ago now!) that is the red, green and caramel of my l.r. furniture.  Heaven only knows when it will, if ever, get done, only work on it a bit at a time.  Then they all have to be sewn together and fringed.  Don't remember how this purple one came to be in those colors - probably had just finished a more subdued one and wanted to work on totally different colors.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mothermitzi, have I heard right that all American personnel are being airlifted out of Egypt?  Will your son be leaving with this group?  I'm sure you hope so.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, what a beautiful afghan. One of mine is out of the dryer, the other one in. None of them worth taking picture of.
    Haven't gotten much office work done today. DH is working at home and he needs this and that. Not munchies, but numbers.
    In between I have been baking. Those ginger molasses cookies are great. The boys will love them. Going to send a bag home with our "snow remover". Our roof is shoveled and so is our deck off the kitchen. Plus he already snow-blowed the driveway once earlier and is in the process of doing it again. At least what was here is gone.
    Right now, I have a banana bread in the oven. I don't think it will be ready before he leaves, but he will be here tomorrow, I am sure.
    Icer, I love you ingenuity. Those colors are pretty. I have used bed sheets many times for drapes, pillows and slip-covers. The best part is, they are washable - no need for dry cleaning. Now if tt just could finish the afghan she is working on, then you could have the one she pictured to match the curtains. Maybe --
    Time to think of dinner. For once we can eat early - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I also do a basket-type, tt, that I really love.  It's a Vanna White pattern that makes the whole thing appear woven.  I like doing it becasue it works up super fast and doesn't require assembly after.  I'm a lazy bones!  :) 

Let me see about a photo...here we go. As you can see, I didn't get around to washing it, lol.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I surprised DH with banana bread last night - can't remember if I posted that or not!  Funny coincidence if I didn't, isn't it? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I like that pattern, Kargiver.  Like the edges also that finish it off.  We'll have "with the power of suggestion", everyone digging out their knitting/crocheting and starting on an afghan!  After posting the pic of mine, I took mine out of the chest in the l.r. where I keep it, and have started another square.  Let's see, 9 done, 26 more to go!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Well we knew it had to happen..we have shifted our "collective" energy to garmentry... Tomorow I'm going back to the kitchen, anybody care to join?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Not tomorrow, Icer. I have been in my kitchen all day today. Just finished the coleslaw. Relish is all done and now waiting for the haddock to be done. Then I am off kitchen duty for today. Well of course there are the dishes first - Pingo

In Response to Re: February Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]Well we knew it had to happen..we have shifted our "collective" energy to garmentry... Tomorow I'm going back to the kitchen, anybody care to join?
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Me neither, Icer.  Now that I've pulled my knitting out of storage, I'll be working on that, alternately with still shredding more "stuff".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt - the edge is a simple crab stitch around once.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

O.k. , I'll be in the kitchen..all by myself(sniff sniff) Can we at least chat?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I suppose I'll find time for that -

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm here. :)

Cooked the TJ's salmon and used Pingo's curry spice mixture (1/4 of the amounts) in a white cheese sauce for fresh cauliflower I steamed.  Yummy combo.  I've used that spice mix in so much besides the original dish, I just love it.  And, I think it especially complements both salmon and cauliflower.  I hope DH doesn't get any on him - the tumeric stains.  He seems to have a food magnet on his chest, lol!

~kar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Thanks for asking tt.  I just got an email from my DIL that he is in another country and will be there for a few days anyway.  She doesn't expect him back in the states for at least two weeks.  I knew he was supposed to leave yesterday but hadn't heard.  Very nerve-wracking. I've been up all night. At least now I know he's ok.  I'm glad I got to Egypt before all this turmoil.  Who knows what will happen now. I visited the museum they keep showing on tv and I hope they can keep it intact.  It's full of Egypt's national treasures. 

After the nasty commute Tuesday, the accountants said they were not coming in today and my boss told me to stay home. So, I just had a bowl of cereal and I'm going to try and sleep for a couple of hours.  The girls will be up soon and I promised them we'd have pancakes for breakfast.   

Already snowing again.  Boy, this winter has been a doozy. Stay warm and safe everybody.

mothermitzi

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, how scary...at least he is in another country, presumably much safer.  Now, just a matter of time and logistics before he's home.  Praying that's so and it's sooner rather than 2 weeks.

We were supposed to get 1 - 3 inches last night.  Woke up to 6.  Not sure Gracie was actually able to do her thing - we watched, but it was impossible to tell; the snow was above her waist.  Hope she doesn't get impacted before the Spring thaw!

Pingo, your spice mixture goes in so many dishes here in the kargiver household.  DH always comes home and says, "Oooh, something smells good!" when I do.  Have you tried it outside the chicken dish?  The white cheese sauce was a perfect base for it; the cauliflower was amazing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Great News MM, Honey and I were talking about your family situation just the other night.

Gee Kar, I hope Gracie can get done what she needs to get done.

I am heading out, my neighbor broke/sprained her leg/ankle and I said I would drive her to the doctors office. I will be back

Ta Ta 4 Now
    btw, I think it was Nov, and the Lady Gaga joke...thank you..I stole it...and got a few chuckles

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,
    A late morning for me, just got up around 8:00.  Looking out the window I'm not sure what if anything it is doing here, maybe a rain, doesn't sound like sleet.  Be careful out driving this morning, Icer.

MM, so glad to hear your son is safely in another country.  It was sort of a short lived appointment for him, wasn't it?  Another mess that I suppose our country will become involved in.  Don't understand how their country will run without any kind of government structure in place - their president stepping down will satisfy the protestors, but then what?

I think a lot of people arranged to take a personal or sick day today, fearing a much heavier snowfall than we have gotten here anyway.  Plow guy (younger man) said they had spent a good part of the day shoveling off people's roofs.  I worry about the dormer roof on the back of my house, not much of a slant to it at all.  He said to give them a call if I wanted it done, but didn't give me a price. "Gramps" left Monday for 2 months in Florida, so no worries here about snow clearance.  He even automatically shoveled out the path to the feeder.

Bought some orange marmalade this week and have forgotten all about it until this morning - put it out on the table first thing this morning.  Haven't had breakfast yet, so will got put the kettle on for my hot hot cup of coffee, and an English muffin with marmalade.  Stay inside and safe everyone.  Chat later.