February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

I'm heading out now, and Gracie will be outside, too.  Yay for Spring-preview weather.

20 lbs of seed - that's a pretty heavy bag!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, the beautiful green of your photo makes me hunger for Spring.  'Course green makes me think of St. Paddy's Day too - bought a lovely table runner, cut out work and embroidery, for the console in front of my l.r. window.  You'd swear it came straight from Ireland.  I'll have to trek up to the attic and bring down other decorations appropriate for the day.  Have so many little things, non related, to do this afternoon, don't know where to start - I guess by tossing the mattress cover in the washer.

What I'd like to do is settle down with Baldacci's newest book, a cuppa pepperment tea, and another of those brownies - has anyone else tried tossing choc chips on the top of their brownie batter?  I never did before last week, and it truly adds so much more dimension to them.

Icer, the Y&R is really getting so good.  Love all the different sub plots entering it now.  Hate to miss it tomorrow, so if you're available, would you give it a look/see?  How's the new business venture coming along?  How about your son and girlfriend, have they settled in a more secure place?  My granddaughter is still waiting to hear on a short sale.  Has also put in a bid on a couple of other homes.  The bank keeps you waiting so long on the short sale results.  Well, off I go to put one foot in front of the other, staying away from the kitchen table where the brownies are, and the l.r. where Baldacci awaits!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Not green, but still grass - - - in February - - -

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, grass!  We don't have any of that visible yet here, but our driveway is ice-free.

I love chips of any type in brownies; the texture addition rocks.  I particularly like butterscotch chips in brownies.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No grass here yet either. That reminds me, we will have to redo our lawns come spring. Last summer did quite a job on them. So, it is just as well, they are still covered.
    It is probably too late now, or I would have asked you to look out your windows. The Moon was just gorgeous this evening. So huge and all orange - so beautiful. Tomorrow is full Moon - so around 5 - 5:30 look for it. Hopefully you will see it as spectacular, as I did when I drove home from work.
    No grass, but my shrubs are sticking their heads out. I am wondering, how my Azaleas will do - since they bloomed this past fall.
    tt, I am glad you stopped by the bird place. Such nice people. Did you tell them, Pingo sent you? LOL. I need to stop by there again. I like to support mom'n pop stores, but this winter I have jumped to the nearest place I could find.  I know, it is not fair for them. Their seeds are tops. Our birds liked them --- a lot. tt, do you mind telling me, how much you paid for your 20lbs. bag? We bought our electric BB there and they gave us a 10 lbs. bag as a gift. So I have no idea, what their prices are. I am sure they would have to be comparable with the big stores, or they wouldn't survive. 20 lbs. - I am almost sure, they helped you out with that big one.
    DH's tennis night - so I will have some time to put up my feet. I am making a quick soup for tonight and the rolls are done. So there is still time.
    tt, I hope you were able to pick up Baldacci's newest book for a few hours.
    Have a nice evening all - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, I got the Supreme Blend.  They had a sign out front, all bird seed on sale.  This rang up as $22.99 minus discount of $2.70, so with tax was $21.56.  I'm not sure it was really on sale, seems about the same as the 20 lb. bags at the Coop are priced.  They have beautiful bird houses in there, with the roofs that are hinged and can easily be cleaned.  And yes, they did put it in the trunk for me, as they did with a much younger woman who also bought some.

I have been able to get a few pages here and there in today from Baldacci's book.  Had finished James Patterson's "The Postcard Murders" and was glad to see this new one of Baldacci's at the library.

Cheerio's choosing to sleep in here tonight, rather than on top of the l.r. couch.  The coverlet went through the air cycle on the dryer last  week, shaking out all  her hairs, and she does like fresh things to lay on - would curl up on freshly laundered towels, etc., if I let her.  Funny she never sleeps with me, only comes in in the morning to get me up.  Perhaps I thrash around too much during the night.

Off to see what's on TV tonight, hope it's something to keep me up past 9:00.  If there's nothing I can get interested in, I usually turn in about then.  Shutting the computer off now.  Chat tomorrow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    tt, that was an excellent price. We will go there this weekend. I paid 7.99 plus tax for 7 lbs. of "gourmet" seeds at Hannaford's last week. I am glad you enjoyed your shopping there.

Not many birds this morning, but a hawk is around. Saw him a few times. Hope the little ones are smarter than he is. Have not seen the coyotes this morning - hope they left for good.

My soup last night was amazingly good. DH hoped, there was some for his lunch today. There is and some more. It was just chicken broth, 3/4 cup or so of hot salsa, 3 carrots and 1/2 celery root - diced. Then 1 onion chopped and a can of black beans drained and rinsed. When I put back the veggies in my crisper, I saw I had 1/2 head of cabbage, so I cut off a couple of slices and put those in the soup too. I left out the ground beef and  added some left over Costco chicken breast instead. It took me less than 10 minutes to prepare, but it tasted as if I had spent the entire day.

Have several errands to do this morning, but I am looking forward to be running around spending some time outside with the temps gone up. It was too hot in our office yesterday with the heat on, but A/C in February? Don't think so. Guess we will be back in the icebox next week.

You all have a nice day. Chat later - Pingo

ps. when I logged on to the Globe this morning, I had to register. Any of you experienced the same?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

ps. when I logged on to the Globe this morning, I had to register. Any of you experienced the same?

I still have to log in several times a day.  It asked me to reregister once, didn't recognize my password, but I kept putting it back in and it finally accepted it after 3-4 times.

Won't be on the boards today, meeting my cousin for the day.  Hope you all have a good one.

P.S.  If you have a chance, Icer, Y&R?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I didn't have to log in to the Forums, but I had to re-register for reading articles in  the Globe. Didn't recognize my password either.
    After I finally got in, I got a prompt, they are using a new registering system -- with a menu of websites one could subscribe to. Would get a lot of offers by e-mail. Lovely, really?
    Scratching my head. Why would anyone want to subscribe to more e-mails ads. Don't we already have enough spam?
    Anyway, it would not apply to me, as we have all kind of firewalls, spam filters and ad-bans on our server. Sorry, Globe.

In Response to Re: February Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]ps. when I logged on to the Globe this morning, I had to register. Any of you experienced the same? I still have to log in several times a day.  It asked me to reregister once, didn't recognize my password, but I kept putting it back in and it finally accepted it after 3-4 times. Won't be on the boards today, meeting my cousin for the day.  Hope you all have a good one. P.S.  If you have a chance, Icer, Y&R?
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I bought two pork tenderloins (2 for 1 at Big Y!) and a jar of Trappist Red Current Jelly.  I'm ready!  Now, where was that recipe - was it here or in the recipe thread?  I'm so pumped to try it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, I found it:

"Sprinkle the tenderloin well with salt and pepper and brown it in a Tbs. butter in a thick bottomed saucepan. When brown on all sides add hot water, so it comes almost up to half the loin. Simmer until 140 degrees internally - 15 to 20 minutes - turning once. Remove the loin, cover with foil and let it rest, while you make the gravy.
    Add one Tbs. red currant jelly (I use Trappist) to the liquid and let it melt while stirring. In 1/2 cup half and half incorporate 1 - 1/2 Tbs. flour. Add to the pan and simmer while stirring until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ah! Great. Hope you like it, you can of course add more if you want.
    If any leftover sauté some sliced mushrooms, slice the loin thinly and add both to the sauce. Serve with rice.
    Good luck! Hope I won't be in the dog house tonight. - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, no worries, Pingo - if you and DH love it I know the Kargivers will, too!  Your curry is still a huge hit.  I use that spice combo all the time, now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, I sauted two boxes of sliced button mushrooms, deglazed the pan with red wine, let that evaporate, pushed mushrooms off to side, added another Tbl of butter, and browned the salted and peppered tenderloins on all four "sides."  Just added hot 1/2 red wine, 1/2 vegetable stock (box), and heating up more stock; didn't have quite enough liquid.  Covered.  Timer is on.  I'll be using Trader Joe's cooked wild rice so that's done except for heating.  And, frozen brocolli for a veggie.  Will post photo and reviews.  Stay tuned!  (Maybe not 'til tomorrow, though.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

all, I still have to log i to the Boston Globe, and for whatever reason, every few days, I'm posted as pumpsygreen. Logging in is annoying, the pumpsygreen poster, I'm curious about. Oh well. The other newspapers that I read online, I don't have problems, so I know it's not my computer. Do any of you remember a pumpsygreen? Anyway, What a Beautiful Day!!! It won't last for long, but still a taste of whats to come. I love Kars picture of her property. Soon, Soon, I keep telling myself. Have a great weekend everyone.bg

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    You are doing a lot better than I do. You should write a cook book. I wanted to, but the time passed by so fast. You still have many cooking years ahead of you.
    Wish you weren't so far away.
    Having short ribs in my crock pot. Just waiting for Mr. P to come home to eat. The sauce is phenomenal. Red wine, sliced mushrooms, onions, garlic cloves, diced tomatoes. First time I made this recipe. I have lots of crusty bread to soak it all up. - Pingo

[QUOTE]OK, I sauted two boxes of sliced button mushrooms, deglazed the pan with red wine, let that evaporate, pushed mushrooms off to side, added another Tbl of butter, and browned the salted and peppered tenderloins on all four "sides."  Just added hot 1/2 red wine, 1/2 vegetable stock (box), and heating up more stock; didn't have quite enough liquid.  Covered.  Timer is on.  I'll be using Trader Joe's cooked wild rice so that's done except for heating.  And, frozen brocolli for a veggie.  Will post photo and reviews.  Stay tuned!  (Maybe not 'til tomorrow, though.)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

S.  If you have a chance, Icer, Y&R?
    tt
    Yes I did..You were right..so many ub plots...its getting good!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Anyone been outside yet? It is gale forces out there. Anything not fastened to the wall or ground, you may have to go and look for somewhere else. The wind had pushed our big heavy grill to the other end of our deck.
    tt, hope you had a nice outing yesterday.  Good planning, it was a perfect day for it. Lobster rolls by any chance?
    How was dinner last night , Kar? Hope it turned out to your liking.
    Bg, I don't recall there ever was a pumpsygreen. But of  course, I don't browse the entire forum. Did you ever try to set up a brand new profile, using your nom but adding a "2" to it for example? How is your daughter doing these days. You haven't mentioned her lately. But as they say, "no news are good news".
    I was planning to do some clothes shopping today. Need some new tops and I want to look for a new everyday coat. But with the wind out there I scratched that. Instead I will do some baking. I have a whole wheat sugar cookie recipe and a breadmaker cinnamon, raisin bread recipe, I like to try.
    Hope you all have a nice day and stay warm - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Pingo, dinner was superb, we loved the gravy.  I think I'll combine our methods from now on.  If I had to choose a cooking method for the pork, I slightly prefer roasting the tenderloin at 500 for 20 minutes (although, braising turned out very good, too), but I'll be sure to make Pingo Pork Tenderloin Gravy.  It will be easy enough to have both.  I'll just roast in the same pan I used last night (6 qt saute) and when the meat comes out of the oven make the gravy on the stove, deglazing all the browned goodness off the bottom with the liquid and rest of the amazing Pingo Gravy recipe including the red currant jelly which added a great depth of flavor. 

I added the wild rice to the finished mushroom gravy, sliced the pork and returned to the pan to heat thoroughly.  Thanks for the great dinner, my dear!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I am so glad your dinner came out to your satisfaction, and you liked my sauce. Looks delicious!
    Of course you can roast the tenderloin, if you like that better. You can also add some water to your roasting pan to get more juice. Your idea to use the same pan it a great one, not to loose any flavors. Maybe, I will try your method some day. I have just never though of roasting a tenderloin. It is such tender meat and it will dry out pretty quickly.
    Do i understand you correctly? You added the brown rice to the sauce? Something I would never have done. Besides, I have never been able to find the "ready made" brown rice at TJ's. But if it works - that is great.
    Also, the way you served it, is what I do the next day. Plenty of mushrooms, sliced leftover tenderloin smothered in the gravy. The day of I usually just slice it and serve it with tiny Yukon Gold potatoes and the gravy. I do add my sweet and sour pickled cucumbers as a side dish.
    I also have another wonderful side dish to serve with the tenderloin. I use this one a lot during the summer, when it is too hot for anything else. Apple /celery salad.
    - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too each her own on the pork cooking method, of course!  But, I promise, it's not dry in the slightest in the oven; only 20 minutes does the trick.  The outside gets carmelized/brown (same as if you'd browned it on the stove), and the inside is tender, juicy, and just the right amount of pink.  Oooh, you must trust me and try it one day; you'll not dry out and waste a roast, and it takes even less time to prepare as an added bonus.  Yes, you read correctly - I added those things, and I knew that was your next-day version, but DH was later than he anticipated and the roast got too cool during the wait.  So, I sliced it up simply to reheat it.  One has to improvise with life, you know? ;)  Here is the cooked wild rice we add to so much in the kargiver kitchen:

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Guess what's for lunch here!  Mmmm, pork and gravy.......and, maybe some toast with red currant jelly.  Cool

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

--- One has to improvise with life, you know?---

You sounds just like me, my dear! And btw. I just love that sentence.
    Where do you find those rice? In the freezer counters? Looks like one can add a little or as much as one wants at the time. Just the right thing for us.
    Of course I will trust your cooking. I will try to roast tenderloin, as per your instructions the next time I make it.

What is it the TV chefs always say? Get all your ingredients together, before you start cooking. Never paid much attention to this before. I KNOW, where my ingredients are. Well, I changed my mind.
    This morning I am trying a cinnamon/raisin bread. I saw a recipe, and it  sounded so good and easy. I started the breadmaker - just to add the raisins 3 hours later.
    I purchased the organic raisins at TJ's last week to make tt's hermits, and I knew, there would be plenty for this bread. Couldn't find them. Searched high and low - no raisins. I feel like such a fool.
    DH went for tennis this morning, and hopefully he will bring me some and be home in time for the raisin addition. Otherwise we will have a cinnamon bread, LOL. Not a bad thing though. DH like it for breakfast w/ cream cheese. I hope he will adopt to this new version.
    What's for dinner tonight? Leftovers? - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Toast with Red Currant Jelly? Sounds great to me. Just a note on the red currant. Make sure you get the Trappist, the store brands or others are much too sweet (IMO anyway).

Lunch for us will be leftover short ribs or veggie soup. There is only enough of each for one of us - so I will let DH take the pick. I like them both. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Guess what's for lunch here!  Mmmm, pork and gravy.......and, maybe some toast with red currant jelly. 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Had started a nice post this morning when "poof" was rudely interrupted by the power going out!  Just came back on a short while ago.  I will say tho, Comcast had my phone back on within a couple of hours.

Nice day yesterday, tho no luck with my clothes shopping.  Had hoped to be able to spend some of the gift cards at Macy's, but I think I go in with a pre-conceived idea and it permeates the store -- "oh, I'll never find anything" --  Did have a nice lunch at Cheesecake Factory with what I usually get there, the Chinese Chicken Salad, and broke out of my restraints by ordering the Tiramasu for dessert.  Picked up a few things in Staples and then poked in B&N where I found James Patterson's new book, "Tick Tock".  What with my members discount and an additional 20% off coupon, got the $28 book for $14.  Couldn't pass that up.  I gave my son a call so he can have first dibs reading it if he wants, since I'm into the Baldacci library book right now, and it can't be renewed.

Boy, that wind last night, and the thunder and lightening!  Glad it's died down a bit now, but I'm a morning go outer person, so I'll leave what I was going to go out for til during the week sometime.

Just enjoyed my FIRST cup of hot hot coffee this morning, along with a grilled cheese/tomato sandwich.  Think I'll put the pot on for another cup.  Oh, pumpsygreen, I've never seen anyone else using that name before, I kind of like it, tho I understand you wanting to get your own nom back.  Pingo's suggestion to try registering again adding just a number, is a good one.  Might work.  Have a good week-end everyone.  Think Spring, the buddha's shoulders are now up out of the snow!