February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

Pingo, I was busy chowing down on my delicious pork and missed your questions.  The rice is shelf stable so it's with the rice dishes in a regular aisle.  Please do not feel pressured to stray from your tried and true cooking method for pork, but I just wanted you to be assured it won't be a dried out mess if you do try it.   I was SURE to buy the Trappist brand on your recommendation.  I figured that you use that one for a reason, and I didn't need to experiment!  I've also learned the hard way to get all my ingredients out - I didn't have molasses at Christmas when I was making those molasses cookies with my niece!  WHOOPS.  I made a substitute, but it was not the same, obviously.  Oh, well, live and learn.  And, cinnamon bread will be fabulous even without the raisins - it least it wasn't something imperative, like yeast (another thing I've had to run out quickly and get in the middle of bread making).

tt, love the Cheesecake Factory for lunch - a good deal and fabulous food.  Oh, and tiramisu (sp?) is one of my favs.  Did you have that flavor of cheesecake or the actual dessert itself?  I like both! 

I know, the WIND!  And, Gracie's boyfriend has a panic attack during thunderstorms.  He was begging to come in our house last night and even managed to bolt in with Gracie once and plunk down on her bed like he was trying to trick me into thinking he belonged.  Poor thing.  I'm afraid he'll do his boy thing and pee all over so I scooted him out before there was a problem.  He cried and cried.  I felt terrible, but he lives next door.  I guess he wanted to snuggle with his favorite girl. ;)

Hope your power stays on, tt, and all.  Be safe out there.  DH and I are taking Gracie to a dog-friendly store this afternoon to get dog food.  They love her there, and she's been going since she was 12 weeks old.  Now, she's almost two, and she's a store superstar!

Have a great day, all,
    ~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Good chilly morning, ladies!  DH just got the fire going, but, boy did the house lose some heat last night.  Gracie is curled up in a tiny ball (well, as tiny as she can be) on her wool blanketed bed.

Gotta go tend the stove...

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Where is everyone?  I hope all is well.

It's up to 64 in here, and the stove's been cranked at about 400 degrees for nearly 3 hours.  Now, the trick is to not get it too hot.

DH just left to cart the neighbor's snowmobiles out to the trail head.  It will take a few trips as he can only take 1 at a time, and I think there are 3.  Then, they'll ride, and he'll have to cart them all home.  So, who knows when he'll return.

Gracie and I are holding down the fort until I leave at 1:00 to go on a field trip with the patrons/friends of the local antique shop to the alpaca farm in town (where I bought that pink yarn for the baby blanket last year).  Maybe I'll buy another blanket's worth; a baby we know never got her blanket so I could do one for her 1st birthday.  I don't know, though, that's about an $80 investment, and I can make a lovely Homespun one for $15.  The shop owner carries yarn from the farm hence the field trip.  Should be fun.  I wish I could bring Gracie, but they also have free range chickens so...

Anyone out there this morning?  Maybe people have lost power, again?  I hope you are all safe and warm.

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies,
    Our house was cold too this morning. And we have oil heat. Guess the teaser we had Friday, let us quickly forget, mornings can be cold during the winter - even indoors.
    Are we still getting snow tonight?
    - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday Morning,

Hope your house has had a chance to warm up, Kargiver.  I guess it's a lot colder out there than it looks, TV said most places are still in the single numbers.  I stepped outside long enough to catch the paper deliverer this morning, but that brief episode didn't show it to be that bad.  He did have a scarf wrapped around his nose and mouth, even as he stepped out of his car tho, so evidently he was pre-warned.

Looking through the movies, where I seldom go, I see The King's Speech is playing at some local theaters.  Meeting my Swampscott friend later in the week, think I'll give her a call and see if she wants to take it in and then we'll have a bite to eat afterwards. - Speaking of eating, you asked about the tiramasu - I got the cake - not a big fan of cheesecake itself, tho I will try it on occasion.

Thinking of my nephew this morning, so maybe that's intuition that he might be down this way later.  I'll make up a batch of the orange muffins since I just finished the last of them for breakfast this morning.  They freeze beautifully and are so nice to be able to just pull out of freezer when you want one or two.

Nanny neighbor borrowed my have a heart trap last week, heard "things" in the bedroom wall of her very old home.  She did see something, but not quite sure what it was, a baby something, she was thinking a flying squirrel, but I don't think they're around here, more likely a bat.  I'd be very uneasy and sleeping in another room, but she seems unphased by it all, called to see if I needed it back in any hurry.  Luckily, I don't.

Keep an eye on Gracie when she's out on this cold, cold day, tho I'm sure she'll let you know when she's had enough and is ready to come back in where it's hopefully warm.  Think my son has the right idea to head for the warmer climates this week.  Wonder if they want a "nanny" to go along to watch the kids??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good to see you!

It's up to 66, and it feels super warm next to the 60 it was.  Gracie just asked to go outside, but you are right, tt, she'll make it undeniably known when she's had enough.  When I go out this afternoon, I'll leave her inside where it's warm.

The King's Speech looks good, tt - have fun with your friend.  Wednesday looks like it will be a reasonably "warm" day.  I'll be having lunch with a friend from where I used to work that day so I can leave Gracie out.

They give you a good portion of cake at CF, don't they?  YUM.

Almost 10:00, and here I am with a second cuppa and still in my PJs.  Enjoying the super hot stove before I pull the converter and bring it down to a "cruising" temp of 250.  Not that hot, but it maintains whatever temp we have, probably 67 by the time it's ready to go.

Just saw a funny name to a company on TV (Holmes Inspection on HGTV): On the side of a rented dumpster, "Bin There, Dump That."  So clever!

Those orange muffins sound good.  I cooked bacon and eggs this morning and served DH the 2 left over pancakes from yesterday with them.  So easy.  I just wasn't in the mood to cook up another pancake batch.  Tomorrow, I will.  DH has President's Day off, YAY!

Oh, there's the cold pooch.

Have a great day!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good Sunday morning to all,
    tt--Thanks for he memories.....I made your hermits yesterday, out of this world, much better than bakery or Archway ones....when I had a couple with a hot cuppa tea I was transported back to doing the same with my Mom.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ahhh, that's nice, SS.  Thanks.

I just scanned different sites to compare orange muffins to the recipe I have.  Have printed off a couple of others and will try one of those this morning.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Will you still make the cream cheese topping?  That sounds like the best part!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I didn't put a topping on mine when I made them before.  I may have split them in half when eating and spread on cream cheese, but I didn't add any topping.  The original recipe in Allrecipes listed them as cupcakes and called for a coconut frosting, but I thought they were more the consistency of muffins and ate them as such.  These today I'll add cranraisins and o.j. instead of milk, for a tangier flavor.  We'll see.  Still could have cream cheese spread on when eating, if I want.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, whoops, I guess I heard about the cream cheese addition and imagined it as a "topping."  Oh, I bet the changes will be delicious. 

I had the best yellow cupcake the other day when I was at the town diner.  They had just come out of the oven, and I had one with warm, melty chocolate icing.  Oh, my, that was delectable, and I didn't have to live with a pan of them staring me down, tempting me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In the oven, as we speak.  I put cranraisins in half and left the other half just the orange and zest.  Making a tray of mac and cheese for lunch with sausage, and will have one with.

Enjoy your afternoon, Kargiver.  That sounds like a fun trip.  I do agree with you about the baby blanket - $80 to invest in wool is a lot.  She'll get just as much enjoyment out of it made with a more reasonably priced yarn.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt - $80 is expensive.  We'll see how I do in the face of extreme temptation...

Let us know which version you like better.  I'm putting a vote in for the one with the craisins.  Mac n Cheese sounds good.

I had more of the delectable pork for lunch.  Easy, delicious, filling.  Can't beat it for a Sunday lunch.

I watched a movie leaving the kitchen a disaster and myself not put together 'til just a few minutes ago.  1:00 will be here before I know it - gotta get myself moving so DH doesn't return to a big mess.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Can I add to your conversation about the "wool baby blanket"? Wool has to be hand washed or sent to the dry cleaner, which I would not do for a baby blanket anyway (fumes and chemicals). I think you will do this mom a favor by using yarn, that can go in the washer. Babies make a lot of mess, and the blanket will have to be washed/cleaned often.
    If you do decide to use wool, I just hope this mom appreciate you spending $80 plus your time working on it. Just my two cents of advice - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wish my camera was in here, shades are pulled up and the Japanese cherry tree is full of chicadees.  There must be some residual water in the top of the gutter.  Cheerio is oblivious - curled up on the coverlet in the sun that's just streaming in the windows that are now blindless.  She never even came out into the kitchen with all the lunch preparations.  That sun must be  intoxicating to her.  I'm watching a couple of the chicadees and they are getting something off the tree branches - too early for buds, maybe some insects?

Threw away my previous orange muffin recipe and have put together one of my own from the ones I ran off this mornng.  A much lighter muffin, very good.  The one I had with lunch was with the cranraisins, but I'm sure the plain will be equally as good.

Going in to see if reruns of Sopranos is on, if not I'll curl up with Baldacci, moving right along with that story.  Enjoy your afternoon, Pingo, I guess now that Kargiver has gone out, you and I are the only ones on the Boards, except perhaps for SS?  Are you still with us, SS?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Congratulations, tt - on your very own muffin recipe. Are you going to share?
    My Cinnamon/Raisin bread came out wonderfully, but not w/o obstacles.
    First off, I couldn't find my raisins. I did buy them, but of course, I couldn't find them, when I needed them.
    DH brought some for me and made it home in time to add them. But I realized, I should have added them close to the end of the second rising, which was 2 hour earlier :(
    So, what does one do. I stopped the bread maker by pulling out the plug (I read in the manual, that if there is a power outage, it will pick from where it left the procedure, if the current comes back w/i 10 minutes). Then I removed the dough, rolled it out to a rectangle and scattered the raisins on top. Rolled it up jelly roll fashion, placed it in the bread maker and plugged it back in. I ended up with a beautiful, very tasty Cinnamon/Raisin bread. No one would ever know, what I went through to make it.
    But I had been so absorbed by this, that it was too late for my hermits and my whole wheat flour cookies. Maybe today or tomorrow.
    DH is working at home today, so that means me running around doing "stuff" for him. Don't think I will be able to do much of what I really want to do.
    tt, enjoy your afternoon with Baldacci. - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

When I went into the l.r. I snapped on TV looking for The Sopranos, and landed on TLC which was having a program on "extreme couponers".  I had to give SS a call, because I knew she would get a kick out of it.  She is a wonderful couponer and got me interested the many years ago when we first met.  These people were obsessive, hundreds of boxes of pasta, toothpaste, hand and body soap - -their homes were overtaken with all the "stuff" they bought because they could save.  Probably a  harmless enough addiction compared to others, and certainly wasn't costing them anything - paying $8.92 on a thousand dollar order.

Sorry you're caught up in office work today, pingo.  It would be nice to just have a couple of days in a row with no thought of work, and time to enjoy whatever you felt like doing.  I guess that's part and parcel of owning a business.

At some point if someone really wants the orange muffin recipe I'll post it on the Chatters' Recipes thread.  Our thread here is beginning to look like a cooking show.  We all get caught up in posting what we've made and how.  Nice to keep it everyday chatter separate from recipes, I think.

Off to watch Sopranos with a cuppa peppermint tea.  Enjoying this nice long Sunday afternoon.  My big meal was at noon, (just in case nephew dropped in) so supper can be whatever I feel like putting together.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great raisin story, Pingo!  Good call stopping the bread maker and incorporating them w/in the 10 minutes.

And, thanks for the tips on the washing - I agree, dry cleaning is not practical for a baby (or me, for that matter, lol).  However, the alpaca does OK washed in cold and on the gentle cycle with Woolite and can be dried on extra low.  The one I made last year has held up well - I saw it when I went to the birthday party (with the bear).  But, the farm owner didn't have any white yarn on hand to dye so I'd have to wait, anyway.  I'll talk it over with DH - they are more "his" friends than mine (he goes waaaaay back with the husband) so it's 100% his call.

tt, no surprise your muffins came out good - I'm sure they'd be a hit here.  If you want to post them, I'd give them a whirl with the spelt.  They wouldn't be as light, but DH would do better, and we're used to heavier baked goods because of that.

Here's a pic from the alpaca farm.  They have about 70, and the owner knows all their names and keeps their fibers separate so she knows which yarn came from which animal.  She cards, spins, and dyes it herself (and sends some out for spinning by a mill, too).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, aren't they cute!!  The "girls" were posing for a picture.  What an interesting place, and what an interesting person she must be to know.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She IS interesting, tt!  And, a sweetheart, too.  They bought the place in 2004 (she worked at MIT for 20 years before that), and she is self taught about all things alpaca and yarn.  A VERY smart woman, but so easy to know, totally down to earth.  Her husband wasn't there this time, but he's a gem, too; I remember him from last year when I got the yarn for the "bear" baby.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ol' Man Winter has returned!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Such cute picture, Kar. One would think being in some foreign country.
    When our son went to Peru and Bolivia, he brought back a lovely sweater for his dad and a shawl for me made from baby alpaca wool. They are so warm and so soft. But we have not worn them very much, as I was afraid of cleaning them. I will try, what you recommended. Thanks!
    This lady, does she dye the wool for you any color, you want? I am sure she must use natural veggie colors. I have to go there one day. I googled Alpaca Farms - didn't realize, there are so many of them.

So the weathermen were not kidding, when they promised snow today. But it looks light and fluffy. It is a holiday for most people, so the traffic should not be so bad, for the ones, who must go to work. DH needs to go and I was supposed to go with him, but I had a bad night - hardly any sleep. Couldn't fall asleep. Heard the clock strike 2. Then waking up every hour or so. We watched a movie late last night, and I think that is what did it. I am usually in bed by 9. If I know, I am staying up late, I make sure to get a nap in the afternoon. Will try to get a couple hours sleep, after DH leaves, but it is not the same as having a continued good night's sleep.
    - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, for a sweater, I wouldn't recommend washing the alpaca like we do the blankets.  It does fine for a baby blanket because if it felts/fuzzes together a bit it's OK (which it does).  And, it could shrink, too, which is also much less of a concern for a very large baby blanket.  I'm glad you mentioned it!  Is it 100% alpaca?  I ask because the fibers aren't generally strong enough (they are TOO soft) for clothing, and the weight of the sweater itself stretches it out.  I learned this yesterday!  The owner said she'd "made the mistake" of making an all-alpaca sweater, and it became a dress.  LOL  All that to say, that if it's a blend of washable fibers it might be OK.  I'd hate to be responsible for giving you advice that ruins your sweater, though - those are so special and irreplaceable.

She dyes her yarn in any color you want when she has white to work with.  She uses commercial dye as well as her own creations.  We saw some that she'd done with onion skins in an aluminum container; it came out a gorgeous, bright goldenrod.  She also uses CoolAid.

Too bad about your sleepless night.  Have a restful, quiet day.  So hard to function with so little sleep.

The snow is still coming down hard here...it's brightening things up. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Thanks for you second advice! The label says "100% Baby Alpaca" - but who knows? It is not that easy to go back to Bolivia to complain.
    I will just do, what I do with my lambs wool sweaters. Wash by hand in plenty of cold water, then squeeze out the water - not wing. Roll up in a towel - maybe two, one by one and then stretch it into shape and let it air dry on another towel.
    The shawl I can wash in the machine, I guess. It is too large to spread out on a towel. If it shrinks a bit, not a big disaster.
    I generally avoid anything, that is not machine washable. Not b/c I am lazy, but I feel the machine does a lot better job, than I.
    DH left for work. I was amazed to see our driveway "clean". The heat from last week must have been "stored" and enough to melt the snow. It is still snowing here.
    Oh, where is the Spring? Looked this morning at a couple of seed catalogs. I am really debating, whether I should seed my own tomatoes and peppers, or I should just buy the plants this year. Last year i seeded them, and I had more tomatoes, that I could consume. But the peppers were not doing so well. And it was a lot of work to water and transplant everything into larger pots twice. Will have to think about that. - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

100% baby alpaca is VERY fine fiber (I just learned yesterday that "baby" refers to the width of the fibers in microns, not the age of the alpaca - who knew?!) and, therefore, very prone to washing damage (but, how super soft those sweaters must be!).  I'd personally not wash the shawl at all, just freshen it with a spritz of febreeze and a short toss in the dryer on extra low to prevent not only shrinkage but, more importantly, felting/fuzzing up.  And, I'd wear a t-shirt under the sweater and wash those as few times as possible, too, but your sink/Woolite method sounds good.  She told us detergent makes the fibers slide over each other more easily which leads to felting.  I think Woolite prevents that to some extent...not sure how, and I didn't think to ask her about it.

DH buys seedlings for both peppers and tomatoes among other things.  He plants seeds for the root veggies, though. 

Sections
Shortcuts