February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

In Response to Re: February Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]MM, your Washington's birthday cake is more commonly called Washington Pie, and my mother used to serve it on the 22nd of Feb. too.  In England, this dessert is called a  "Victoria Sponge" but here it needed a patriotic name so poor old GW was hauled out again!
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

Hi hats -
    Interesting, considering it's a cake.  Funny how these traditions started but not surprising.  I hadn't made it for a long time  and it was gone in a flash.  So easy to make. I used a a yellow cake mix. Couldn't be bothered to make it from scratch. 

Haven't seen a post from you lately.  Hope all is well with you.

mothermitzi 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Good morning all, Looks like we are just going to have rain tomorrow. Yeah! Just coldn't bear to see another layer of the white stuff. I have now grass patches showing - brown, but grass. mothermitzy, it sounds like you had a great trip with your family. How wonderful you all were able to get together. How is your Mandeville doing? Mine are showing strong growth right now, telling me it is almost time to put them back out. Will have to cut them back again  and hopefully make more. Kar, hope you had a nice visit to "the East" - did you get to do any shopping? It is just too bad, tt - that you are still having so much trouble with BDC. But we surely appreciate you hanging in there. Hope you have a good visit with your dentist and that you will get a sticker. We had a lovely evening last night at friends. Met a new couple. They were delightful and very interesting to talk to. They have travelled a lot and been at some of the same places as we. We hit it off right away and had a lot of laughs during the evening. Hope to meet them again. They all loved my dessert. I will have to "translate" the recipe, before I can post it. Europeans measure their recipes in grams weighing everything on a scale, while we do cups. Office is calling today. Chat later - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hi pingo -

Sadly, my mandeville is not doing well.  At least it doesn't look very good.  I broke a branch off the other day and was surprised to see it is still green inside, so there must be some life left in it.  I'm going to hang onto it though and put it out this spring and see what happens.

I'd love to try your apple cake recipe when you get around to it.  Sounds yummy.

mothermitzi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber, I'm with you.  A line or two from BDC saying even, "Sorry folks.  We can't fix it", would at least let us know they are aware of what we're going through and looking into it.

Had a good day, with lunch at a little hole in the wall in Mblhd, down by the Landing.  They serve breakfast all day long, plus regular meals.  Had a fish sandwich that was so good, fresh fried and greaseless.  Poked in a few stores in Vinnan Square and then went back to friend's for a cuppa, a cookie (or two) and chat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

mothermitzy,
    if you saw some green inside your Mandeville stem, that is a good sign. It is still very much alive. Try to water it a bit more now, but don't soak it. After a couple of weeks give it some fertilizer. It should be fine come Spring. Remember, when you set it out again, it will most likely loose all its leaves anyway, so keep cutting the vines down. Just leave a couple of green ones there. It will still sprout like crazy from the main stems.
    Don't give up on it - Pingo

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: February Chat 2011 : Hi pingoo - Sadly, my mandeville is not doing well.  At least it doesn't look very good.  I broke a branch off the other day and was surprised to see it is still green inside, so there must be some life left in it.  I'm going to hang onto it though and put it out this spring and see what happens. I'd love to try your apple cake recipe when you get around to it.  Sounds yummy. mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Thanks for asking MM, I have had a few health problems but nothing that won't get better.

Boston Cream Pie is cake, too.  It's sort of a dessert = pie thing that probably comes from the old days.

DH's grandpa always used to say, My favorite kind of cake is pie."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Pouring rain this morning - but it could be snow. I am grateful, it is not. It will probably cause a lot of flooded cellars, will all the snow and ice, we still have everywhere.

Apparently it is turkey time again. We had 15 + turkeys in our back yard this morning. It was really strange to see them walking around in the snow. I tried to take a picture of them, but it was a bit dark out, so all I see is the the flash in my window.

Hats, so nice to see your old avatar. What happened to lemoncoke? Sorry to hear you had health problems, hope for a speedy recovery.

Have guests coming at 11 - so I am off the computer for now. Will catch up later
    Stay dry - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So much for rain up here at 1000 feet!  We've got 3 inches of snow, and it doesn't appear to be close to switching over.  We lost our thermometer a month ago; it's buried, now, somewhere under the kitchen window.

We got a new cable box and new cables, and our problem with the TV persists.  We'll be lugging the upstairs TV down here tonight for one last test to see if it's the TV or some other component in the system.  So, I'll be researching 56" flatscreen technology and prices today as my guess is that we'll be in the market this weekend.

DH pulled my car in the garage this morning after brushing it all off - I'm so spoiled!  I'll be in for the day.  I wonder what I can scrounge up for dinner.  I was planning to go out in the rain to the market.

Have a safe day, all.  May all your sump pumps be in good working order!!

~kar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How do we always managed to post at the same time, Pingo?  Funny!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Since morning seems to be the best time for me to be able to actually see my posts not disappear - - - here I am.

Wish I didn't have to go out this morning, not particularly fond of driving in the rain, but I don't have far to go, so I'll quit belly aching and get my taxes done.  When I get back home have a slew of washing to get done.  It's just been piling up all week.

SS, no late night call last night, so is the sad news that you didn't win at Foxwoods?  Bet you had a good time anyway - you always make your own good time, girl.  BTW, glad to hear the hermits ended up being a hit.  Hope the knitting pattern I sent will be the same when you have a chance to try it.  One of these days we'll have to get together for a day of me trying one last time, to get the knack of crocheting (your afghan squares).  I've always thought that type of afghan particularly colorful and beautiful.

Fairly early appt. this morning, so now that I've had my oatmeal/strawberries and my coffee with an apple turnover (yum!), I'll start getting around.  Hope you all have a good day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The key to crocheting is really in the non-hook hand - your tension.  If you get the  hang of feeding yourself yarn with your pinky (with it looped around) such that the tension is always the same, you'll have perfectly gauged stitches with minimal effort.  Trying to control it with the hook is laborious and nearly impossible; it's usually the downfall of potential crocheters, and the instructor doesn't notice or know how to teach proper tension technique.  Focus on how you're holding the yarn and feeding it to the hook (by extending your pinky away from your hand to "grab" more yarn). 

Unwind a bunch of yarn so it's in a loose pile.  Control the feeding of the yarn by your pinky.  If you don't, you'll end up with very tight stitches because the weight of the yarn is controlling your tension and making it too tight.

Does that make any sense in print?  Hm, I think photos will help.  Hold on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Getting ready to go out, but did flick back after seeing your first post about putting up some pics.  Do you have any idea how awkward that looks to a non crocheter?  I will give it a try later this afternoon, don't know what size hooks I have in the drawer - what do you recommend for a beginner, to start a granny square?  Thanks for your input, I think you're an educator at heart.  --  Chat later.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know, it's terribly awkward from photos.  I wish I could sit with you.  Just know that your trouble (if you still have any) is in the tension/left hand and focus on trying to feed yourself yarn with the loop around your pinky.  TRY to keep your grip loose on the hook; it really hurts if you grip it too tightly, and it doesn't buy you anything.

Generally, larger is easier.  I'd suggest a J or K hook and 4 ply, acrylic yarn.  Nothing fuzzy or fancy.  Just Red Heart basic yarn.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I took this having turned my hand over so you can see the yarn from the bottom (up side down pose as the first photo above).  See the loop around the pinky and how the yarn extends up between my middle and index finger to work with:  (hope I caught you before you had to go - this is a slow process!)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Caught it, thanks.  I use the regular red heart yarn for all my knitting, so there is plenty of that in the house.  I'll check the little bag of hooks someone passed along to me, when I get sit down time later this afternoon.  Again, thanks for your input.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're welcome!  Many crocheters do not know what I just told you about tension and how to keep it constant (because they give up early on with getting it down), but it's really the only way to gain much speed and create evenly sized stitches consistent with hook size and attain proper gauge.  It's a pain and frustrating to learn it the correct way, but if you keep at it, soon you'll be flicking your pinky out for more yarn as you're working without even noticing you're doing it.

It does take practice.   It's never as easy as an experienced person makes it look, but you can do it.  Go slowly, and focus 90% on your left hand.

GL and have fun!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, and I wouldn't start with a pattern.  Just do chains until you are comfortable with feeding the yarn to yourself with your left hand and can gently pull the yarn through the loop to create the next chain without any emotional stress. :)  At that point, your chains should be evenly sized (you work is neither tight nor loose).  Turn and do a single crochet row back to the beginning.  The first row is the hardest because the chain twists and turns and the stitch strands are hard to identify for a beginner.  However, do the best you can on the chain, not worrying about getting the hook in the exact right spot.  On the second trip down the row, you'll be able to identify the stitches much easier.  Go back and forth until you feel comfortable.

THEN do a pattern like a Granny.  Otherwise, I'm guessing this will be your last very frustrating attempt at crochet.

(I edited this a bit at 9:55)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You could put your left hand up in front of the computer so it lines up to mine and thread the yarn that way (use first and last photos).  The third photo is about how it should look when you're actually crocheting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ok, guests left. They want DH to design an indoor pool for them and came to see ours.
    The turkeys are still here. This is 12 of them - there must be at least another 8 - 10.

I think they are attracted to the spilled bird seeds :( What a pain.
    Had to disappoint some of my birds. The clay dish is filling up with water - so I could not fill it with seeds this morning. I am sure they are mad at me. - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Is it still snowing up your way? How much did you get? Love you crochet instructions. I use a very similar technic, when I knit. To get the same tension all the time. No one taught me, I just decided on my own.
    I used to knit lots of sweaters for my boys, when they were young. And instead of stitching the pieces together, I would crochet them together.
    My arthritic hands does not let me do much any longer, and I miss it. But I do believe I could do another afghan, since it is done in sections. Your pictures make me want to do one again. - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Pingo, Good time had by all at Foxwoods, I hate the 2 hr drive too, but I go on a bus with lots of folks, and we all visit and gab....I didn't come home rich, but I brought all my money back and $50.00 of theirs...
    MM, my Mom made the same cake many times, I never knew its name, always thought she made it with jam and powdered sugar cause that was cheaper (we were sorta poor, didn't know it then tho) than regular frosting.
    tt...Hermits are in the oven, and altho its rainy and dreary outside (thank good-ness its not more snow) it sure smells heavenly inside.  Take care all, keep warm and keep smiling, ss

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

You have an indoor pool pingo?  That's awesome!  As a kid I always said I wanted one in my house when I grew up.  What fun it must be to swin anytime you want!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, too bad your arthritis puts a damper on the needlework.  I also use the same tension method when I knit, but I'm not a very practiced knitter so I always choose what I'm best at.  Kudos to tt for giving the unfamiliar one another try!

It's been raining here for quite a while.  We got about 3 inches, though, before that so now we have a bunch of thick slush.

SS, congrats on coming back $50 ahead!  That's rich as far as I'm concerned regarding going anywhere like Foxwoods.

tt, I'll lbe watching for any questions you might have.

Just learned from my great-aunt I'll have a long wait to find out what's in the will.  Late game changes were made regarding the house.  For a long time, only money was in the will, not the house or anything in it - she said it was to be sold and the proceeds divided among 3 siblings.  But, at some point she added it to the estate so now it has to be sold before the will can be executed.  It's not going on the market until at least Spring.  So, at this point I wish I didn't know a thing about it.  Oh, well.

I think it's right on the edge of snow...still rain, though.

Later,
    ~kar

P.S. Great photo of the turkeys!  We've been seeing a bunch out here, too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Got a row of chain stitches, but then going back, I think I'm knitting them on - shouldn't there only be one stitch on the hook?
    With second stitch going back, pull it through the stitch already on the hook and continue doing that?  Somehow isn't working.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're VERY close to having it, tt, and your stitches are very even.  You are on the precipace of doing it perfectly.

Now, give me a minute to take a few pictures instead of trying to explain in 1000 words. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've got quite a few photos that show every step of two complete single crochet stitches...18 photos, actually.  So, give me another 10 minutes or so to put a website together for you.