February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

i won't go to a website if my email address will show up.  I've been trying to post this, I think I've got it, but I have to tell you the yarn doesn't stay around my fingers the way it was when I started - I use fingers, thumbs, whatever to get that hook through!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

And, per usual, the end result is sort of a curled up worm!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're doing it right but losing focus on that left hand tension.  Your work curls because it gets tighter, not because you're doing it wrong, per se.  It's a VERY common (100% of students, in fact) issue.  I don't even want to call it a "mistake," as it's really just a matter of practicing the tension, not that you are doing it wrong.

My website is almost ready - estimated time of completion, 3:45.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Did you read what I said, - won't go to a site where my email address will show up.  Not that I don't appreciate your effort, but that's the way it is.

PPS.  Have to quit fooling with it for now anyway - just looked down cellar -- WATER.  That has to be taken care of before it gets ahead of me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, I read your email concern, but your email doesn't show up.  It's just a site of pictures.

Your doing it by hook or by crook because the yarn doesn't stay put is why your stitches are getting too tight.  While you are doing it right, your stitches are right.  When you say, oh, well, I'll just get 'em done however I can, it curls up as your stitches get smaller.   The real trick to crocheting is learning the left hand's imperative task of feeding yarn to the hook.    Sacrificing that lesson for simply getting stitches made however you can after the yarn falls off (which is frustrating and tempting to abandon) will foil your ultimate effort.

Here's the site if you want.  Lessons

I have no way of knowing if anyone ever accesses that site let alone the names or email addresses of anyone who does.

ETA:  Goodness, good luck with the water!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just deleted the photos and will start a new thread.  The website is competely safe and anonymous for all visitors, but if you'd rather not go there, that's OK.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Went out and came back. Lots and lots of water out there. Not just coming from the sky, but lots of flooding already. I still say though, it is better than snow.
    Sorry to hear you have water in your cellar already, tt. How do you take care of it? Do you have a sump pump?  Hope you will be dry by the time the rain stops.
    - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We have a funny yellow cast to the sky here...anyone else?

tt, hope you made out OK with the basement water.

It has started snow misting here recently - yuck!  DH has a big slushy mess in the driveway to take care of before the freeze.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's stopped raining here now, so I'll be OK.  When it starts to puddle, I shovel it in a bucket, lug the bucket upstairs or out the bulkhead if possible, and dump.  When I went down today it was just starting, so threw newspapers down.  After supper I'll go down and see what it looks like and what it needs before bedtime.  Only time I have this problem is when the ground is frozen, and there's a heavy rain or ice melt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ugh, that must be hard to lug up the stairs.  Good thing it doesn't happen often, and I hope you're done with it for this go around.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Today's freshly folded laundry was too much for Cheerio to resist tonight -

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Awwww, how adorable!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Sometime today I will post the orange muffin recipe on the Chatters Recipes thread.  Thought of it again as I took a couple out of the freezer to thaw with my coffee this morning.  My own supply is getting low and I'll most likely make another batch today - some with cranraisins and some without.

Nice to look out and see everything "clean" again, tho I hear tomorrow is going to bring another snowfall that will be more than we want.  Little Lilly has been asking to go to Nana Nana's, she loves making the cookies and bringing them home to show Papa.  'Bout time for shamrocks with green and sparkling sugar sprinkles.  Then we'll squeeze in time for a game or two of dominoes, that she's quite good at. 

Haven't peeked down cellar this morning, but it should have started to dry up.  I'll take care of that after I'm prepped for the day with my coffee and.  Cheerio has already had her breakfast and is washing up, in front of the heat register.  Sounds like a good plan to me - guess I'll go shower, dress and have my breakfast.  Chat later, I hope.  Again, last night it took fortitude of trying for 4 times to "Add your post" with the pic of Cheerio.  For some reason I don't have as much trouble (says she with her fingers crossed!) in the morning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

some reason I don't have as much trouble (says she with her fingers crossed!) in the morning.
    Well then, we will have to look for your posts in the morning...You're worth it!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

And where have you been hiding, Icer?  My gosh, I just get used to seeing your posts every day or two and then you vanish!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Such a cute picture of Cheerio. She knows, what feels good. Would she sleep like that all night?
    How is the water situation in your cellar, tt? At least it is not raining any more. I am sure you know this, but it is really worth repeating. One has to be careful, where to dump the water outside, or it will come right back in.
    Orange muffins sounds good. I made blueberry muffins yesterday morning for our guests - and have frozen the rest. Will have them during the week.

Nice to see your post, Icer. You must have been busy with your new venture. How is it coming along? How is your son and his GF doing at their new place and their "project", any news yet?

Our turkeys has come and gone. They come here the same time every morning around 7:30. They stay for an hour or so. In the summer longer. But when they leave, we don't see them until the next morning.

It is nice out. 34 degrees and just a light breeze. DH shoveled our deck, so we could get to the birds. It is very light snow, easy to push. Hopefully the snow on the driveway will just melt away - the sun is out. Will be going to the office for a few hours today. DH bribed me with dinner out. I accepted. Will get back to you later - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I have been working on my new venture....At this poit its not very rewarding, I must say...but it is what it is!
    I have been keeping up, but I don't always have smething to contribute so I just "lurk" I guess

I have also been spending a lot of time with my brother. He is going through a very nasty divorce. I am afraid it has stripped him of his will to survive. It has really taken a lot for me to prop him back up but I think he might be on his way to being corrected again.

TT..I just love the Cheerio Diaries as i call them. And Thank you for your caring. It is such a comfort to know one is cared for((Maybe gramatically incorrect to end with"for")

Pingo, you must be a foremost authority on pork recipies. I will be trying some of those suggestions seeing as our Supermarket has pork on for Wacky Wenesday this week.

It was so nice to read that your son was safe and sound MM...I can not imagine what that feels like

Well, i see Honey has jjust poured me a glss of Merlot so I will sign off, but I am never far away

Pleasant dreams All! ('o')

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Icer, you always have something to contribute, just by posting a few lines.  My daily posts are certainly not filled with earth shattering goings on, just babble, but I tell my life as it is - dull to some, I'm sure.  Please don't ever feel you shouldn't get on CC because there's no great news to tell.  I look for your nom every day.

Feel badly that the paper boy (man) got here before I got up.  Last week I caught him and gave him the tips for the past 3 weeks and told him I would leave it between the doors each week.  Before I went to bed last night I was going to, but since he usually doesn't come til at least 8:30, I thought, oh, I can do that in the morning. When I came in here and opened the blinds a few minutes ago I could see footsteps up the driveway and sure enough there was the paper neatly between the doors in a plastic bag.  Baaad, lady customer.

Kargiver (in my mind I always call you Karyn, don't know why -), my friend did her best to help with the crocheting yesterday, but I don't know, things seemed to be not going so good.  She kept telling me I still wasn't holding it right (to crochet off my index finger), and I truthfully couldn't see the holes I was supposed to put the hook through.  I did a tedious row or so, then we gave up, went out for lunch and back for an afternoon of cards.

Glad I filled the feeder yesterday, as usual, the backyard seems to have gotten more snow than out front.  Doubt very much I'll have cookie baking company today.  Although, you never can tell, this afternoon may clear off - I think I heard that.

Oscars tonight and altho I haven't seen any of the movies, there were some I did/do want to see, The King's Speech, topping the list.  I heard that some theater in Boston yesterday was havng a 24 hour long marathon where for $50 you could go in and see all the films nominated.  If I were younger - - -

Hope to chat again later.  I'll post now while my chances are good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    About 5 inches of snow by now. Looks like it is tapering off. My birds was waiting on our deck railing to be fed, so I grabbed a shovel and cleared a patch to get out to them. It is very light and fluffy. But it is going to rain this afternoon, so better get rid of the rest of it before it gets wet.
    Didn't have a chance to get to Michael's or to the office yesterday. Friends stopped by just before lunchtime on their way home from NH. DH and I was going to have leftover sausage/lentil soup for lunch, but they are vegetarians and I had nothing to give them. So DH went to get pizza. By the time they left, it was too late for the office.
    I love to see my friends, but I do wish I would get some notice - especially, when there are dietary requests. And yes, they do expect to get something to eat.

I don't think, I will be watching the Oscar's tonight. It is always showing so late, I don't even know which movies are nominated. Even if I did, I wouldn't know any of them. DH and I do not frequent the movie theaters very often. We have this Netflix over the internet, and can watch any movie - American or foreign - we want in our own comfy chair. No need to spend $$ to go out, besides, if we don't like the movie, we can turn it off or switch to another movie. Tomorrow, I can see the ladies dresses, on the computer.

Have some office work I can do at home. Don't want to venture out today. Maybe some baking as well, while I work. Need to make another raisin bread. It was delicious and went fast.

Enjoy your Sunday - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, your "tedious" experience of trying to learn to crochet off your index finger is 100% unavoidable.   It's not easy to learn.  It's easy to DO once you have it down.  Kind of like driving a stick shift.  NOT easy to learn.  Very easy to DO after you've learned.

I'll post further explanation of what she was explaining momentarily in the crochet thread.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, isn't that something when people stop in unexpectedly right at mealtime and expect you to have something special on hand and ready to go?  Well, I'm sure they were happy with pizza and to see you and DH. 

SIL gave us some notice - about an hour.  She and I had a lovely day while DH and her DH went snowmobiling.  They had planned to be home early and we'd all go out to dinner, but it didn't quite work out.  They called and said to go without them.  So, we did and had a great time at a fancier place than we would have gone otherwise.  And, that was after we got manicures with the new "gel" polish that's supposed to last 2 weeks with no chips.  We'll see.  Day 1 - success so far. 

tt, I expect that if you stick with learning the left hand, the hardest and most frustrating part to learn by far but one that is necessary in order to proceed to the easier and more fun business of learning stitches, it will take about a month of daily practice (at least an hour a day) and regular instruction (4 more sit downs) from your "live" friend before you feel like you're gaining ground and that this could turn out to be a fun activity after all.  Until then, it will not be FUN.  However, around that month mark, suddenly, it will "click" and you'll have it.  If you expect it to happen faster than that I fear you'll give up thinking it will "never happen." 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cookies decorated, baked and on their way home to Papa, who will think they are the most beautiful in the world because his little Lilly Bug made them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How fabulous!  Another great day for Lily and Nana Nana. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---Pingo, isn't that something when people stop in unexpectedly right at mealtime and expect you to have something special on hand and ready to go? ---

What frustrate me the most is, they have a two hours drive to get here, plus they stopped at the Outlets to do some shopping. Couldn't they have called, when they left in the morning? That could have given me 2 - 3 hours to run out to get something and prepare a decent meal plus a dessert. They live in RI, so we are conveniently on the way. We didn't even know, they were up there. If I had known, I could have semi prepared myself. They do this often, and it drives me crazy. I have told them several times, "I wish you had called. I could have a nice meal ready for you." I buy fresh vegetables, when I need them. I can't just have my crisper full, for when they may show up. But they are not people, that plan ahead. Everything they do is sort of "on the spur of the moment". It is an old college pal of DH's, so I can't really say much - only hinting.
    Thanks for letting me vent. - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup, that's extra irritating.  They are not just next door and can pop in with a few minutes beforehand to decide.  HOURS.  But, I've come to learn that proactive people cannot force reactive people to see life their way no matter how I try to explain the benefits to everyone involved.  I've settled for believing that they must be happy with pizza, or they'd change that habit of just appearing with no notice.  If my guests are happy, I'm happy.  I let them take responsibility for not calling ahead and offering them whatever I can scrounge up.  Now, if they were to breath a COMPLAINT about the veggie pizza, I'd be fit to be tied.  I'd have to do the old "count to 10" thing while breathing in through my nose, out through my mouth so as not to blow a gasket.