February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

Checking in.  Last night's ride home wasn't too bad.  I think I missed all the traffic and the plows had done their thing.  Same this morning - light traffic.

Kar, could/would Gracie "go" where DH had plowed?  I thought of it this AM as Jax was running wildly through the lesser snow that filled in where the plow had been, and then shamelessly squatted in the middle of the street. 

MM- hope you get some rest now knowing DS is safely out of Egypt.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hello ladies,

Well I am at work.  Not too bad this morning compared to what I have dealt with all winter.  But dreading the commute home if we get the sleet they are predicting as everything will be icy.  I have had dreadful commutes on the Orange line and with my bus.  3 hours to get in Friday as I was on a disabled train and 2 hours home Monday night for same reason.  We are living in New England and just don't get why the MBTA cannot handle snowstorms.  But I made a vow, if we get another big storm, I am staying home.  My boss is a real jerk about the storms and what is even funnier, is he lives in Rhode Island and works from home.  He has no clue what I go through.  Keep up the chatting as it is the only thing that entertains me while at work.  Have a good day everyone and stay safe!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That little guy that looks like a smaller version of a mockingbird is back outside the window.  Plump little fellow.  He's grey, the sky is grey, the bare tree and snow don't give any color, so don't know if a pic of him will really show up, but will leave camera in here just in case.  I can hear him tapping in the gutter now, at the edge of the house - maybe some melting going on there and he's able to get a drink. - Icer, are you still putting your foot bath out for them?  Pingo, are they coming to your electrically heated water dish?  Feel badly for mine, but they've survived for years without my help, so I guess they'll get through this winter too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

"Then what?" in Egypt is a darned good question...

DH is out plowing as he got home too tired to shovel and plow last night.  We have about a foot - 14" in the driveway between yesterday's and last night's accrual.  I did take Gracie for a walk yesterday afternoon, and it was difficult trudging to and from the road in the uncleared driveway - it's about 1/4 mile to the street.  So, we got a little workout.  She's not so patiently watching him plow.  I have to assume she did "go" - I'd think she'd be awfully uncomfortable by now.  She goes every morning at 6:30.  Probably more than you needed to know about Gracie, but there you have it. ;)

I was glad to have leftover pancakes to give DH before he went out.  No waiting.  He's going to be working from home today, I think, despite the storm being over and his probably being done with snow removal by 10.  And, by "work from home" I hope he means, "Nap with the Mrs." ;)

Just finished cooking up a batch of chicken gizzards for you know who.  I eat the hearts out away from her...love 'em.  The gizzards are too gristly for me, but they fit nicely in her Kong (a dog toy for stuffing treats and keeping them busy getting them out).  They are big enough that they are difficult to get out, but not impossible.  The treats they SELL for dogs to put in the Kong are inedible imo.  First ingredient?  Corn syrup.  Just like treats for kids - not edible.  No wonder both are so often overweight.

Speaking of weight, I'm finally dropping the Thanksgiving/Christmas lbs.  Lost 4, have 5 to go.  I've been wearing my one pair of "fat jeans" every day for a month...except wash day where I'd stay in PJs.  An embarrassing state of affairs.  They say to throw out your bigger clothes when you lose weight, but the fact is I'd be naked a couple of months every year if I did that!

I can see the Kubota snow blade way up in the air, pushing more snow up the "mountains."  I suppose I should get cleaned up while he's out there toiling in the cold - the tractor doesn't have a cab.

Have a cozy day, everyone!

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Jax goes at 6:30 every morning, too!  Even our pets have the collective chat thinking!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hilarious - Jax and Gracie on the same wavelength, too!  Last year we did plow and shovel out back for her, and she purposefully avoided those areas because she has it deeply ingrained her in doggie brain that plowed areas are for walking, and you don't "go" there.  I even took her out on the leash and gave her the command to let her know it was OK, but it didn't work.  So...?

Ambergirl, it is sleeting here - I can hear it.  Hope it's not where you are...be careful!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS, are you around this morning?  How was the lamb stew with dumplings?  I didn't get to make my stew, but will have to cook up the beef today - dumplings it will be.

Got an email from a friend in Fla (the one who had the heron visiting her garden pond here this summer) saying she thought one of her friends back here was losing it - was sending her a series of snow related pictures - including icicles dripping!  I emailed back that we're all going a little stir crazy - that I had been innundating CC with dripping icicles, snow birds, etc.

The Town plows must consider this a main street, because there is one or another going by every 15 minutes and it's not even snowing!  Slush is what I have built up at the foot of my driveway now, maybe a foot that will have to be cleared.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

It is sleeting here in Boston.  Ugh for my commute home...  daughters company closed, she is lucky.  Amber goes out at 6:15 every morning.  But I have to shovel the patio for her as she will not go out if there is snow on the ground.  She hates it.  So I must look really funny to my neighbors shoveling a patio!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hmm... that's very proper of her.  Always the lady that Gracie.  A typical boy, Jax isn't so discriminate about where to go.  He has a usual spot on the lawn that has been buried for a longtime now.  With all this winter weather, I figure as he's going outside, we're good.

Amber - somedays I miss commuting by train, and then I hear your story and snap right out of it.  I always used to say that the train would be late, but it would always go.  Doesn't seem to be the case this winter - I heard on the news there are mass cancelations of the commuter rail.  Hope today is  better trip for you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's good Amber goes where you shovel for her.  I'm sure the neighbors understand!  We have FEET of snow at this point - if Gracie with her long legs is having trouble, what about short little Amber?

Can you leave work early, Ambergirl?  The drive home will be soooooo long and treacherous...

Putting the gizzards away I found a few more hearts. YUM!

Yes, ss, how was your lamb stew and biscuits?  I like Bisquick, too, but like your DH mine prefers a from-scratch version.  At least biscuits aren't too time consuming even from scratch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amber is really funny with the snow.  She looks at me when I open the door and turns around and leaves if she sees snow. Cracks me up everytime.  I'm sure it is because of her little legs, but she can be a prima donna sometimes.  I will def leave work early if I feel it is getting treacherous and I won't be asking my boss, I will be telling him. I work for a lousy company unfortunately but I have been looking around. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Amber sounds like Reese.  She turns and looks like, "What are you crazy?"  It was the longest time before she would even go down any stairs by herself, they had to carry her down.  One day they just didn't and because she wanted to be down with them, she did it on her own.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bg, haven't heard from you in a while.  How are you doing with all this snow?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Boy, no where to put this snow!  DH snow blows a whole "maze" in our back yard for the dogs to do their business.  It takes a lot of time, but it's the only way poor Spencer could go.  He's only 25 lbs so he's lost in the snow.

No work today.  I was so happy to get the call, even if it was at 4am. 

Looks like the snow has changed to sleet here.  Be careful everyone!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies,
    Glad to know mm, that your son is out of Egypt. Hope in a safer place. Good our government take care of theirs. DH and I just discussed the same thing last night, if the opposition get their wish - what will they do then? It will be such a mess. I just hope US stays out of it.
    Our haddock last night was delicious, and we liked the home made tartar sauce. I used the MW, since I had bought it, but I think I will try the mayo the next time. Not for taste, but b/c I have it in the house. We don't use MW for anything else. Loved the fact, that I could make up just a portion large enough for the two of us. I used to buy a jar of TS, and 2/3 would just sit in the refrigerator, until I threw it out.
    Kar, I am glad, you like that spice mixture so much. I will try your cauliflower dish one day. DH loves cauliflower. With this I am sure, he will like it even more. Happy napping ;)
    Our birds just love the heated bb. They all come and drink. Then they eat, then they drink some more. A very good investment for us. I still have to go and empty it and give them fresh water, but at least I don't have to use a "pneumatic chipper" like Kar's DH.
    DH went out to shovel our deck this morning. It is very heavy snow, due to the rain. So, ladies - do not wait too long if you have to do any shoveling. He and our guy are doing our drive way right now. tt, you might want to have that young guy of yours clean up the part of the roof, you are worried about. The load is only getting heavier.
    Good to hear the traffic is not that bad. Lots of people are staying at home today. We sent our employees home early yesterday (with pay) and asked them to make their own decisions to come to work or not today making sure they knew, it would cost them a vacation day. If they are there at least for 4 hours, they will be paid for the all 8 hours. Their effort is worth something. DH will be going in later after the driveway is cleaned.
    Chat later - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, the lamb stew was delicious, only a little left over, and  I had that for my lunch.  DH &DD liked the dumplings, next time its bisquits again....Are your afghan patterns crocheted or knitted tt and Kargiver?  I can never seem to find nice square patterns....seem to do the same one all the time, the mile a minute is a good one to use up odds and ends of yarn....my grandaughter used to call it her "rainbow" blanket cause I used so many different colors.  Kargiver, does Vanna White knit? I thought she only crocheted.   Pingo, what sort of business do you run? DD just finished the shoveling, now for lunch and some hot chocolate and then its off to work for her.  Already she is looking to forward to tonites supper.....spaghetti and metballs. Take care and keep smiling, ss    PS:MM so glad your son is out of harms way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi SS,
    My afghan's are knitted.  I have a book of all different patterns, configured in squares.  I chose the basketweave because it was easy and interesting.  I thought you crocheted?  Don't you do granny squares?  I used to have 2 copies of this pattern book, if you knit and are interested, I'll see if I still have both copies and will mail you one.  I work in squares because I need instant gratification, and would lose interest in an afghan that was knitted all in one piece.

Spaghetti and meatballs sounds good to me too.  But, I'll be starting the beef stew pretty soon.  Not too hungry today, took an ibuprofen for pain and that sort of took away my appetite.

Icer, got a phone call and missed Y&R all except for the last 4-5 minutes - how exciting - reminded me of "Pritzi's Honor", the music and drama.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, all I do is crochet (as does Vanna, as you thought).  I technically know how to knit (knit and pearl, that's it), but I got tired of knitting just scarves and didn't have the patience to learn any more of the art.  So, I stick to what I know and enjoy, and can do really, really fast. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ambergirl, hope you can find a more congenial place to work soon.  I didn't know jobs were out there to be had?  Are you getting any bites?

Speaking of bites, we're having leftovers tonight.  The salmon and cauliflower as well as the quinoa/bean dish I made for lunch.  Whichever (or both) he wants.

OR, I could get out the pasta thingamabob since DH is home to help spread the pasta around while it shoots out and I cut it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Didn't really feel like the beef stew tonight, but now that it's simmering away with onions in beef broth, smells darn good.  May just do that over pasta with sour cream - if I have any.

Had a few phone calls today - which was good - we're all in the same boat - snowed/iced in.  Wish we all lived closer and could run next door to each other's houses for a cuppa.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, add about 1/4 - 1/2 of your curry spices to this white sauce recipe and stir a head of steamed cauliflower into it.  YUM!

tt, glad you are feeling better and think you'll enjoy your stew, after all. 

DH is out plowing, again, trying to get ready for Saturday's storm.  Where to put more snow...the perpetual question of 2011!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi Kar,

I actually did have an interview already with another company by a recommendation.  Alas they are not paying, but I am seeing more jobs on the career websites.  Once the economy gets a little stronger, I think companies will loosen their purse strings. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good to hear that for you and anyone out of work, too.  Companies can't be static for long as far as their workforce goes, I'd think, no matter what is going on with the economy unless a company is going out of business, that is.

I'm currently uploading DH's photos....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here are Gracie and Mommy in the driveway.  Check out the snow pile DH mounded up on the right!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Funny, I was actually going to ask you, if you had made pasta again, and how it went. If DH is out plowing still, I guess no afternoon nap.
    I make a similar white sauce, but I use use chicken broth to cut down on the calories. I will add the spices the next time. Thanks for the tip. - Pingo