February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

Well I guess Caine is gone...His father(who just married Jill) almost let the cat out of the bag about his paternity.

There was a touching moment when Mrs. C was helping Jill out of her bloody gown. It does look like it was a bit gorey for 12:30

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just went out to knock off what icicles I could from the back.  My gosh the ice in the gutters is mountain high.  Wonder what tomorrow's melt will bring. 

Son brought me a case of clementines - are they sweet.  Best I've had this season.

Thanks for the update, Icer, guess they didn't move along very far.  I've been waiting since Christmas for son to come and give me a lesson, so couldn't tell him to "wait a minute, I want to see this".  Left here to take kids to the doctors with complaints of sore throats, coughs.  They leave for Aruba in a couple of weeks and don't want them feeling under the weather for the trip.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

It has been such a miserable week, I thought I would share this inspiring story. 
    Kar, thought of Gracie and her friend : ) 

SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - February 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- It's a story Hollywood could not have scripted any better and this one has a happy ending. Noel is a 10-year-old yellow Labrador Retriever. Her best friend is 11-year-old Toby, the Bernese Mountain Dog,. They've been friends ever since Toby and his owner Raymond Godfrey of South Philadelphia stumbled upon Noel 7 years ago; she was abandoned under the Walt Whitman Bridge. "She was very elusive, she went up to Toby...they started talking, what dogs talk about, I don't know what they talk about," Godfrey said. Since then, the dogs did everything together. They were inseparable. Then last summer, Toby was stricken with cancer. Last August 2nd, Godfrey was taking Toby to the vet and inadvertently left the front door of his row home partially open. "And [Noel] ran looking for us, thinking we were going somewhere. I wouldn't normally go without her. I was taking him to the vet and she didn't know this," Godfrey said. Godfrey put out hundreds of lost dog leaflets all over South Philadelphia. He went on the internet and recruited dog rescue groups and others to help. Many did, including Governor Ed Rendell who gets his hair cut by Godfrey, but it was to no avail. But then at 12:27 Wednesday morning, 6 months to the day, Godfrey and his wife were asleep in bed when they heard a dog howling outside. "We rushed downstairs, hurried to open the door, Toby walked out with me, [Noel] saw him, ran in the door and that was it," Godfrey said. Noel had lost about 30 pounds, but otherwise appeared to be OK. Through it all, Godfrey says he never lost faith that he would see Noel again. "Faith. Got to have faith and what you believe in and hopefully, you'll know that your animal will come back," Godfrey said. And Toby never gave up hope either. So after 6 months, Noel and Toby, two old friends, essentially joined at the hip, are finally reunited again to enjoy what in dog years are the golden years of their lives. It is a story of hope, faith and a bond between a dog and his family that led to a remarkable happy ending.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

So I just picked up the marriage license.  :)  Very exciting and Hawaii is calling. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh Winter, such a big step. Congratulations! Hope you and FI have time to celebrate tonight.
    Are you taking some time off before the wedding? I can't believe it is almost there. You have shared so much with us, I feel like I am an invited guest. Hope you will give us a review, when you get back from you honeymoon.
    Blessing are coming your way. I know you will need them this last "crazy" week.
    Love, Pingo

In Response to Re: February Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]So I just picked up the marriage license.  :)  Very exciting and Hawaii is calling. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Such a touching story amber.  Thanks for sharing!  There have been at least two stories of lost dogs in my area for whom the owners are conducting all out searches.  I hope that they have the same fortune.  I know I would be lost if I lost my little fuzzbutt.

Congrats Winter!  If it didn't feel "real" yet, I bet it does now!  Leave room in yoru suitcase to bring back some warm hawaiian breezes!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just learned something interesting on the Channel 4 news - the robins we are seeing now are not our summer robins, they fly south for the winter.  These robins are Canadian robins that fly down here for the winter months - fat ones are the winter robins, skinny ones are the summer robins that have flown back up from the southern states.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Aha, tt! Just like the Juncos, that come down from Canada. Very interesting indeed.
    - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Went to the office today, but did not get much done of what I wanted to do. We had an avalanche of calls of roof checking. Everyone are worried, but we feel quite comfortable that the roofs, we designed, will come through this.
    However, we had several calls from new clients, that was recommended to us. So our guys are out there checking roofs all over the place. It is a sad situation. Such cheap construction everywhere. DH is now somewhere near the Cape. He will come home exhausted and tired. But fortunately, I have his most favorite homey food ready for him. Meatloaf! That and Kar's cauliflower dish. I know, he will give me a big smile. - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cute joke I just got in my email - "Two Irish Ladies -

Two women were sitting next to each other at a bar.  After a while one looks at the other and says, "I can't help but think from listening to you, that you're from Ireland."  The other woman responds proudly, "Yes, sure an I am."  The first one says, "So am I!  And where in Ireland are ya from?"  The other woman answers, "It's from St. John's, I'm from."  The first one responds, "So am I!  And what street did you live on?"

The other woman says, "A lovely little area in the west end.  I lived on Warbury Street in the old central part of town."  The first one says, "Faith and it's a small world, so did I!  And what school did ya go to?"  The other woman answers, "Well I went to Holy Heart of Mary, of course."  The first one gets really excited and says, "And so did I.  Tell me, what year did you graduate?"  The other woman answers, "Well let's see now, I graduated in l964."

The first woman exclaims, "The Good Lord must be smiling down upon us!  I can hardly believe our good luck at winding up in the same pub tonight.  Can you believe it, I graduated from Holy Heart of Mary in 1964 me self!"

About this time Michael walks into the bar, sits down and orders a beer.

Brian, the bartender, walks over to Michael, shaking his head and mutters, "It's going to be a long night tonight."

Michael asks, "Why do you say that, Brian.?"

Brian answers, "The Murphy twins are drunk again!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, friends - busy afternoon.  Out for the haircut, got to the bank, and got groceries.  Came home, played with the pumpkin, made banana bread, and cleaned.

Thanks for the compliments on the afghan.  It's so easy, all double crochet, and what makes the pattern is whether you do it around the front or back post of the double crochet of the previous row.  Badda bing, badda boom.  Apologies to the non-crocheters for the explanation!  Definitely, being good in the kitchen is far superior to being a knitter or crocheter!  The saying about the way to a man's heart doesn't say, "...is with a hand-knit afghan!" after all. :)

Glad everyone got home safely last night, but Ambergirl, guess I missed you again tonight!

Pingo, I bet everyone is vastly concerned about the rooves!  Yikes, I was thinking about it at the hairdresser's - their roof is not as pitched as it could be...

tt, very interesting about the Canadian robins - thanks for posting your discovery!

Winter, congrats on the license!  I bet you are so eager, now that the end of your engagement is in sight as is Hawaii!!!  YAHOO!

Ambergirl, loved the story of Noel.  I'm sure you're right about it being like Gracie, what she'd do to find Daddy.

Oh, there he is!!  See you tomorrow!

~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thanks for the joke TT...Fridays  a good day for a chuckle.

Pingo I saw your panty hose tip on the news yesterday. I am fixin to try it.

We are getting oil today so I must be at the ready

Chat soon

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,
    Snapped on TV and caught some of the previews of ads for the Super Bowl - have any of you seen the car one?  Little kid is dressed in his dark vater costume and stands in front of the dog lying on the floor and points his hands at him - nothing.  Goes to the doll sitting on his sister's bed and points his hands at it - nothing.  Father drives up and the kid runs outside after the father has gotten out, stands in front of the car and points his hands at it - Voila - the lights blink on - scan to inside house where mother and father are watchng from the kitchen window, and at the same time the little kid points his hands at the car, the father blinks on the car lights with his remote!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Great joke tt thanks for sharing Amber I like the story of Noel.  Pingo, I get the day off before the wedding and then I'm working the Monday and Tuesday after then we leave for Hawaii on the 16th. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I liked your joke, tt. Stole it and e-mailed it to few of my friends. Interesting about the Robins. I thought, they were just "blown-up" to keep warm during the cold months. But now, that you say so, they are indeed larger than the ones we have during the summer.
    Kar, you cauliflower dish went over well. DH loved it. He was very tired, when he finally got home last night. Had to be out again this morning - in your area - to inspect yet another roof at 7:30.
    At least some sun today. It is supposed to warm up too. It was only 13 degrees, when I went out to feed the birds and give them clean water, but it was not windy, so it didn't feel that cold. Will use this lovely day to stock up on groceries - even though, I have plenty to carry us through the weekend.
    Amber, cute dog story. It reminded my of a story in the news not too long ago, about a dog - in Afghanistan I believe - that wouldn't move from one of the mass graves there. Didn't drink or eat either. His master was buried there.
    Enjoy the sunny day - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Icer, meant to chime in with the others on congratulating your DH on being a HERO!!!  Who knows how many lives he saved with his awareness.  People can be completely oblivious to their peril.

Pingo, yay for the cauliflower being a hit.  I wouldn't call it just "kar's," though - I think it's more of a pingkar!   I mix up your chicken curry spice mixture and keep it on hand to add to whatever strikes me.

DH went to work late this morning, his super long day yesterday having caught up with him.  Good thinking and a good morning.  Even Gracie slept in 'til after 7.  The fire was almost totally out, but I got it going with little effort.

I wonder what we'll do today.  I need to go to a real grocery store and plan the weekend's meals, but tonight is already planned and purchased.  Dr. Oz recommended working amaranth into our diets so I ordered some, and it's pretty good.  Kind of bitter, though.  I like quinoa better, but amaranth is nice and creamy; the grains are very tiny (about 1/3 the size of quinoa) and become gooey like cream of rice.  Forgive me if you're already familiar with it, but I'd never heard of it, and neither had my mom.  I ordered it from Amazon since Whole Foods is a hike.  Good thing I like it - it came in a 4 pack.  So, I'll see what I can find for amaranth recipes online today.  I cooked some a couple of days ago and added it to a dish with black beans and quinoa.  It wasn't too noticable other than how it made it creamier.  I'd like to find something that showcases the amaranth.  Anyone use it before and have something to suggest?

Happy Friday, everyone!!

~kar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I have never used Amaranth myself, but I know of people who use the flour for baking, since it contains no Gluten. But as far as cooking the seeds, I believe, you can use it interchangeable with Quinoa. So any Quinoa recipe you have, you should be able to substitute the Amaranth. - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Hi everyone! I have the day off today,(Well until 2:00) to catch up with laundry and cleaning. I haven't been able to post for a few day's, but I have been checking in. M.M., I am so happy that your family is safe. I do worry, and pray for everyone in harms way. It puts things like snowstorms into perspective. Nov.Bride, I agree that Winter Bride needs to bring back a souvenier of nice warm Hawaiin breezes. Winter Bride, You must be SO excited!Ambergirl, I loved that story. It's amazing how animals form friendships. Pingo, I will remember the 1-1-1 recipe. I'm just now trying actual recipes.T.T., and all of you, Thankyou for asking about my D.D.. I thought it would be a blip in her teenage years. Some of you said it might be a long haul. She has ups and downs, but mostly ups. She is back at school full time now, and is doing well thanks to amazing, supportive teachers. We have lots of appts., Drs, therapists,nutritionists,etc. Kar, I always pictured you with long hair. My hair is an outgrown mess right now. Oh well, there is always a hat. Take care all. bg

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

BG, wonderful to hear from you but you are back to pumpsygreen again : (  I would let Dottie know again.  That is so strange..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bg, good to hear from you and to hear DD is doing so well.  Thoughts and prayers continue to go your way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good to hear from you, bg!  It's never a blip, unfortantely.  Never - it's an honest to goodness disorder, not a teenage phase.  She'll struggle with it even after she gets the behavior under control, much like an alcholic is never cured but can live without behaving in a self-destructive way.  Glad to hear about the mostly ups, though, as she is getting the aggressive treatment she needs.

Pingo, thanks for the tip on amaranth.  As you know, I already use quinoa a lot so it should be easier than I thought to use the amaranth.  Good thing - I took the plunge and tried it because we ran out of quinoa, and I order that online, too, so I'm out of luck for now with the quinoa.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Who is pumpsygreen? had he/she been a former chatter? It"s really odd. How do  I get in touch with someone who will fix this? I'll try with BDC. com. See what happens. b.g.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You could report abuse on yourself, choose "other" from the pulldown list, and then describe the problem and also give your phone number or email address in the explanation box and ask them to contact you about it.  They read those "abuse" reports immediately.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Hi everyone, Thanks for the advice Kar. I reported my last post as "abuse". I will probably have to change my nom. I hope not, as I do love the gentle "Beast".The J.D. Stitches is now sitting right next to the computer, his head going back and forth, like he's watching a tennis match. So,so funny! Hopefully reporting myself as abusive as pumpsygreen will straighten everything out. In the interem, I'm sure you will know it is me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

BG, of course, we know it is you. If you want to keep your name, try to put up a new profile with your nom in all caps, or beastgirl-2 or something like that.
    So annoying, I know. - Pingo