February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

Mothermitzi, any word from your son yet?  Will he be coming back to the States?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Took the car out for a nice long spin this morning.  Traffic was unbelievable.  Changed my route and drove down through Lynn - by where the leather factory used to be - was curious.  It seems to be a City owned block like a DPW lot, with backhoes and plows.  After lunch headed out with shovel, and hoe and cleared what I could from the bottom of two drainpipes.  Then headed upstairs and hung out the windows breaking up huge ice formations that had dripped from the roof above that.  Not bad on the roof, fluff snow.  It's the gutters that are all iced up.  May try some hot water in them to free up a bit anyway.  Hard time opening and even harder, closing the windows, so don't want to get in a pickle with them not closing tight.

How's everyone else spending this relatively nice sunny day?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hello everyone.  I finally have a minute to catch my breath from a busy day.  I spent this relatively nice sunny day convincing people that their roofs are not going to fall in on them. Not an easy task given all the incidents being reported on the news.  I'm ready for the weekend.  Anyone have plans this weekend?  I don't (yet, anyways).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DH's building was evacuated when it was apparent the ceiling tiles were shifting indicating the roof was stressed.  He's been on the computer all day because he can log into his work desktop from here.  Hope everyone had a great day!

Good weekend, all - talk to tomorrow,
    ~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi,
    Anyone having problems with BDC?
    My page has shunk into a 2 " wide strip on the left. Can't read the posts except for a few letters. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Good morning all! I have a busy day today, I have to get my car from the shop, and return the rental. My page also shrunk too Pingo, but I'm still able to read all of the posts. bg

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,
    No problem with page shrinkage - yet.  Are you still having problems this morning, Pingo?

I can barely see the sun rising way over to the East.  Looking forward to the 40 degree temps today and tomorrow to start the flow in some of my drainpipes.  Glad I cleared what I could yesterday out from under and around the 3 I could get to.  The temps and the rain should do the rest.  Of course I'll have to keep an eye on my cellar too.

Good thing all this media coverage about what to look for that shows roof stress.  Glad your DH's workers were alert to the signs and able to evacuate before any actual collapse, Kargiver.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

My page is the usual page

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Page back to normal this morning. It was really strange. The strip was only 2" wide and I could only see the first two letters out of maybe 3 or 4. The posts were in their entirety, but like so: kkk
                                             kkkk  
                                             kk 
                                             kk
                                             kkk
                                             kk
                                             kkk
                                             etc.

So I had to read them the long way down. At least all is well for now - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt - if you can believe it, he was disgusted thinking it was an overreaction, but he's not the most proactive person, generally speaking, so it's not surprising.

Pingo, I periodically have issues with the display, but usually a refresh takes care of it.  Strange quirks in this program.

DH is watching a "taped" reality show about gold miners.  I'd watch, but the producers seem to think that if the camara isn't stable it makes for better TV.  Filming with the camera resting on the shoulder of a guy walking around, a la "home movie," makes me motion sick.  Oh, well, no matter - he's relaxing after a hard week and I get to watch whatever I want all week.

Have a great day, all!

~kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Pingo, Saw the tip about the pantyhose and ice melt on the TV, yesterday while in Taunton I happened to see a roof with numerous small brown bags on it, my friend told me you can use brown bags filled with ice melt....going to the store later, hope the ice melt I saw advertised is still in stock....SS
    Anyone know why my posts always have a border around them??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Everyone's posts have a black border around them.  My view of the page only has my own posts boxed in.

I'd think that paper bags would make a huge mess.  I've heard of people using pantyhose, and those won't disintegrate in the gutters...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, SS

Funny about your posting border - I don't see any when I pull your posts up.

The guy from This Old House was on quite a few of the news broadcasts on channel 4 showing that you could use a brown lunch bag, as well, to toss the stuff up on the roof.  Carbonate something?  Had intended to stop by Home Depot yesterday when I was out, but the traffic was horrendous - heard later on the evening news that there was another water main break somewhere along that stretch of road.

What's up for today with you?  No craft fairs or flea markets this time of year, are there?  Realized this morning that even if I don't have an extra copy of the knitting afghan patterns, I can NOW print you a copy myself with my new printer!  Just have to get out and get some paper and a mailing envelope - unless, that is, you and DD want to take a drive up for a visit some day???? That would be even better.  See what she thinks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning mothermitzy,
    Moving day today for your daughter? She lucked out weather-wise. Nice and warm - or should I say warmer - for this weekend. Will be a busy weekend for you, I am sure.
    Any good news from you son? Has he come back to DC? My prayers are continuing, until we hear that he is safely back.
    Best to you and your family - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: February Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]Everyone's posts have a black border around them.  My view of the page only has my own posts boxed in. I'd think that paper bags would make a huge mess.  I've heard of people using pantyhose, and those won't disintegrate in the gutters...
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

That's strange, no posts have a black border around them when I pull them up - never have.  Not boxed in either - am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

P.S.  Oh my gosh, now since I posted that, my posts all  have a black border around them!! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

--  King of the Mountain  --

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Paper lunch bags for the icemelts? Wat a mess that would be. The paper will get wet and disintegrate. Might as well pour the icemelts directly into the gutter. Icer, did you ever try the pantyhose? I am anxious to hear about it.

Kar, glad to hear your DH's company was proactive and evaquated the building. Better safe than sorry. Our company has been all over the place to inspect roofs for the last couple of days. Many are not safe. DH drove by a local store Thursday morning, saw the roof sagging. Stopped by and told the owner, he better clear the roof or get out of there. When he got back that evening, police and fire rescue was there. Fortunately no one was hurt. Why don't people listen?

Had one couple of Mourning Doves at the feeder this morning. Frst time this winter. Didn't know they stay around during the winter.

Cookie baking day for sons. Have to mail them Monday. Will be half Ginger/Molasses cookies and half Sugar cookies. Plus, I will make our PB son a banana bread. He asked for it. My DIL is a fantastic baker, she can make her own.

Chat later - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Actually, with the carbonate pellets, or whatever it's called, the bag would just get wet and pellets would do their work.  This Old House man showed tossing just 2 bags up onto a very good size roof of the house they were in front of, would take care of the that whole roof.  He wasn't talking about putting those in the gutters.  He also showed pellets the size of hockey pucks that you again could just stand and toss up onto the roof.  (The episode is probably still on their channel 4 news blog for anyone's further clarification.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Our own posts always have that thin, black border, but we aren't usually paying much attention to our own posts, lol. :)

If the home guys suggest paper bags, that must be a good way to go.  I'm no home improvement gal; that's DH's (my Dear Handyman's) realm, thankfully for our house.  I was just thinking wet paper would be worse than leaves, but I guess not.

Speaking of DH, he built a roof rake yesterday after learning of their being on backorder everywhere - looks like that's what's on the agenda today before the rain/snow comes.  He's out with Gracie skiing, though, right now.

I bought new baking powder yesterday and made a VERY FLUFFY batch of pancakes this morning!  I didn't know bp could go bad...apparently it can, and I know you experienced bakers are saying, "Of course, kargiver!"    Laughing

Not much on my list today.  Feeling kind of tired...Gracie got us up last night at 3:30 needing to use the restroom.  Then, we all tossed and turned until sunup.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I like the idea of the "hockey pucks" a lot better.

Yes, Kar. Baking powder can go bad, but usually one doesn't realize it until it is too late. Unfortunately it is something one uses so infrequently - that one never know, when it looses it potency. Unopened it can last forever. So it is a good idea, to have a second can on hand.
    One can mix a bit of powder in a bit of water. If it bubbles happily, it is good to use. If the bubbles are "lazy" - toss it out. Of course we never do this. LOL
    I should probably get a new can of BP. Mine is only God knows how old. Need to use it for cookies today. Now, maybe tomorrow. - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It must be pancake weather - I made a batch this morning too!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, the bubbles test - thanks, I'll do that after this can has been open awhile.  I'm sure my cookies have suffered for at least a year.  Whoops!

tt, it's "pancake weather" every weekend here for DH!  He loves his Saturday/Sunday breakfast treat. :)  Love your photo of the "king" - he's got a nut?  bread?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A saltine.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, lucky guy.  Looks like he's had no shortage. ;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hawk!  Hawk!  That fat little squirrel was almost his lunch - he dove into/under the little yew next to the fence just in time.  I don't know why I always happen to walk into the kitchen to see these things - at least I didn't see or hear him actually fly off with something.  The hawk was a beauty tho, bigger than the last one in the yard, with a beautiful wing span.  Hope he finds his lunch, only not in my yard, down by the pond where noone will see or hear him with his find.