February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

I'm with you, tt, I'm OK with the idea of the food chain, but I don't need to see it all in action.  Mother Nature, the original no holds barred realist.

Speaking of nature, we found moose tracks in our yard yesterday.  DH identified them by the fact that they were steps, not drags or hops, through the snow.  You gotta be pretty darned long legged to make those kind of tracks right now!

Got the house and myself cleaned up.  Just eagerly awaiting DH's and Gracie's return.  Oh, looks like I"m not the only one; there's her boyfriend out back saying, "Where's my favorite gal?"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

My own has a border around them...but I think its because they are mine

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Everyone's view is different because BDC boxes your posts for you.  If you log out and view the same page, nobody's posts will have the border because BDC doesn't know who is viewing the page if the page is being viewed without a user being logged in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi all, bg here. What a week We've had here. Our car broke down, snow storms, D.H. had a root canal,and many appts. for D.D.(who is doing so much better.) I realize it will be a long haul with her, but  we are dedicated, and hopeful. Knowing all you chatters,ask,and have her in your thoughts makes it so much easier for me. Your advice has been very helpful as well. To top it all off, We have guys outside chopping off ice and snow because our guest room ceiling is leaking! At this point the beast and I decided to roll with the punches. We are very nice people, I don't know why we deserve this, but Oh well. The gutters, I guess are the problem. I do try to put things into perseptive,There are many people worse off than us.  Take care all. Off to do some housework. My birthday is Monday,I didn't mention it to D.H. to see if he'll remember. Is that mean? HeHee. bg

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, I know it's right to say you DON'T deserve this, but as Matthew 5:45 says, "He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."  Same goes for snow and all its troubles!  GL with the roof, what a pain to deal with. 

DH is raking snow off the roof, now, and has been for at least an hour, now.  And, it's raining.  Poor guy; his suit isn't weather resistent so he's just getting soaked.

I see you are bg, again!  I guess going the "report" route was the way to go.  They don't ignore that.  I know because I've reported posts (usually vendors), and they disappear within minutes.

So glad you're feeling positive about DD's progress and that we can be here through the whole process and you've found us helpful.  One never knows if it's the "right thing" to say, you  know?

~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Bg, good to see you posting as you again.  When a whole bunch of things seem to go wrong at the same time, I find it helpful to believe that God gives us a lot of things to take care of, so that we don't get overwhelmed by any one problem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Kargiver, I was just thinking of using the bags with ice melt to melt the snow on the roof, my gutters are fine, we hjave the gutter helmets on them.  I think the stuff they use is chloride ??, can't remember the other stuff, and the pellets work just as well, only everybody must have caught the idea from the TV, all stores went to this morning were out., just  have to keep looking.  Your right tt, no flea markets this time of year, I  miss them.. saw an advertisement in the SS today about one in Taunton, gonna have to look it up. They had Girl Scouts
    selling cookies at the front of the store, since I was a GS leader and sold cookies for over 13 yrs, I couldn't just walk by, I bought 2 boxes, $4.00 a box,when I first started selling them they were 50cents....guess you know at that price I ate a lot.SS

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Before I started my cookie baking process, I decided to look at my baking powder. It said, "Best to use before Dec. 2009" - LOL. Never gave it a thought to check it. Even though it has been working fine all along (at least I thought so), I decided to get a new can. For $1.99 - I guess, I can afford to toss it every 6 months or so. I just have to remember to do so. This new one say, "better to use before Dec. 2013" - only God knows, how long I must have had the other one. Still have a few molasses/ginger cookies left from the last batch. I am anxious to see if it makes much of a difference. - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ss, good luck with the salt stuff in your gutters!

Pingo, 2009, LOL!  I'm glad I mentioned my snafu, and I can't wait to see the results of your cooking experiment.  If it's anything like my pancake experience, you'll be reminded just how much freshness makes a difference!

~kar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Good morning everyone! I was an early bird this a.m. I've been up since 5. Speaking of birds, Beverly Beckam has a nice column today. Made me think. Hope you all have a great day. Chat later.bg

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thanks BG..I loved the article

Soooo, what is everyone doing for Super Bowl?
    Honey and I will go down to the local Legion Hall for a little bit, and then home.

This morning, I am tearing apart the kitchen to clean it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Just running down the different threads and Pingo, saw your post at 5:00 this morning on the recipe thread.  Are you back to sleepless nights or is that the time you usually get up to work on your workdays?  I wake up then, sometimes earlier, but usually go back to sleep for another hour or so.

Watching for the Globe delivery person, hoping to wave a dollar out the window to entice him to put the paper between the doors each Sunday.  Will still be getting it at a bargain price.

Looking out it 's good to see the pine/fir trees free of the snow and ice.  Doesn't look as tho the banks have gone down much with the rain and melting, but perhaps the warm temps today will knock them down a little.

No Super Bowl plans here. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Not much planning for Superbowl here either. Pats are not playing. PB son says the town is going crazy. He was invited to go to a friend's house to watch it, but is planning to stay at home and has invited a few friends to come over. Asked me last night for a slow cooker chili recipe. The last time, when the Steelers lost, they were turning over cars in his street. He is a peaceful guy.
    tt, I woke up at 3 - tossed around for a while and could not go back to sleep again, so I spent some time on the computer, before I went in for another snooze. Oh no, this is not my normal time for getting up. I like to get up around 6:30 - 7. Then I feel best during the day. Earlier or later, I walk around in a daze for awhile.
    Stopped by Costco yesterday afternoon. I needed packing tape. Tx son had used up the last roll packing stuff, when he was at home for Christmas. It was $7 off, great deal. I could not believe the mob there. Even the self checks had long lines. Looking at the carts, I could see most were stocking up for Superbowl.
    Picked up my calculator from my office. Hoping to finish today, what I have been working on for awhile. I just can't stand to look at it any longer.
    Birds are watered and fed, now it is our turn. Have a nice day all - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm laughing, sort of - watching for Globe delivery guy - finally had to go and get something to eat.  Just checked a few minutes ago and still no paper.  I'm commiserating with a poster on another thread who was complaining about Globe delivery.  Kargiver told him that he was directing his complaint to the wrong place to get any solution, to contact the Globe offices and voice his concerns.  Either the delivery guy is very late this morning (usual time is 8-8:30 next door), or he has skipped me completely.  --  Oh, never mind - here he is now, dropping it on the bottom stair.  Off I go to read the paper, do the crossword, and enjoy a second large hot hot cup of coffee.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Neither DH nor I are into sports so we're intending to go cross country skiing this afternoon (my first time since 1990, the only time I've ever done it) on the snowmobile trails which we anticipate will be slow to empty due to the big game.  Gracie can trot along on the packed/grooomed snow so much easier. 

We have her on a doggie chondroitin, msm, glucosamine (sp???) supplement since she's been straining to get through the snow and getting pretty stiff and sore.  Actually, it's more that she tries to walk on top of it and when the inch crust breaks she falls hard leaving one leg on the crust and the other deep in the snow.  So, she "walks" that way, straining her hip muscles and tendons with every step and fall-through.

DH asked for homemade pasta, meatballs, and sauce, for dinner tonight and I agreed - we're going to try the ziti disc this time, and he's going to collect and spread it to dry as I extrude and cut it into his bowl.  I'm out of Roma tomatoes so I'll have to use the big guys.  I hope we get another bumper crop of toms this year!  We lost all the remaining onions and butternut squash from last season when the temps got down below zero a couple of weeks ago.  Usually, the garage stays above freezing.  So, I'll have to (gasp) buy some onions for the sauce...I haven't bought onions since last Spring.

Maybe I'll see a moose for the first time out here this afternoon.  They're out there, and somehow I've never seen one in the wild, even missing the one that obviously tramped right through our backyard!  No other animal can step through the snow making distinct foot print tracks right now.  I wonder if he visited our compost pile.

Now...what will I do for lunch?  As shameful as it might be given that I don't work, sometimes I wish the meal planning fairy would team up with the chef and grocery fairies and collectively wave their wands...POOF!  A whole meal done!  OH, and don't forget the cleanup fairy. ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

We will go to the Legion, mostly to remind us of our squares. Our town is big into squares.

At our Rotary meeting last year, we had a visit from the Chief of Police,it was quite a dilema because the member wanted to pick out squares for the Super Bowl game but we couldn't til he left...I guess its not quite legal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Squares, Icer? You lost me completely - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Me, too - what are squares?

ETA:  Oh, wait, you said it's illegal.  Must have something to do with gambling on the game...?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The latest in my "Man and his Dog" collection:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Sunday Everybody -

I believe the squares are for betting on the game.  Most of the men in my family do this during football season. I usually split with my father.  He's good at picking and we usually win a little bit.  We're not talking big money here.

Very busy weekend for me.  Helped my daughter unpack the second pod while my SIL and the girls packed up their belongings here.  I felt very sad to see them go but once I saw the girls' excitement at seeing their old things and arranging their rooms, the sadness went away.  Besides, they are not far away and are still at an age where they need to have a sitter. I suspect I will see a fair amount of them.  They also made fast friends with my little friend next door and a sleepover is in the works for the beginning of March.  

My son is working in another country now and will be there for the duration. He will however be joining the family for the ski trip later this month.  My daughter and I have rented a condo near them for the weekend and I'm planning to take my father with us. However, we will only be staying for the first couple of days. I really feel they need to spend the rest of the week together as a family without all of us being around.  Besides, they will spend one night with me before they fly back to DC.  Not sure exactly when my son will go back overseas.  

I am going next door to watch the Super Bowl with my neighbors.  They have a big party every year and one of the guys spent yesterday shoveling a path to their smoker, so I'm hoping we'll have some tasty ribs.  My assignment is baked beans and desserts.  I actually made the beans in my beanpot this time rather than the crock pot.  I cheated on the desserts and went to the bakery. No time to bake this weekend.  They've invited my father, as well.  I really don't care about the game unless the Patriots or the Saints are playing (snobby I know) or if one of the teams is a real underdog.  I gather the teams playing today are both good.  What I enjoy most is the socializing and the eating! 

All night long, I heard ice falling down through my downspouts.  At one point, the noise was so loud I was certain the whole downspout had come down. Maybe now the ice around my gutters will melt.  I guess it will be cold again next week though.  I only have one small flat roof and my SIL shoveled that for me.  He did the same for my father.  I can hear water trickling down the spouts now so some melting is happening.  

Take care everybody.  I need to catch up on posts again, but I hope all of you are well and surviving the weather. I want to thank all of you for your concern and prayers.  It was comforting to know you were thinking of my son.  

mothermitzi   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Squares are a gambling thing...I don't understand it either...what is the difference between squares and a mega bucks ticket? I guess the difference is that the state doesn't get a slice of the pie.

We do end up with a few bucks at the end of the game, so I will leave it alone

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

MM...good news about your son...AND something to look forward to...the ski trip. We used to do that, It was always soo much fun.

Enjoy your neighbors house, I will cross my fingers for you to have ribs in your future

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi icer -

I see smoke coming out of the smoker and a lot of activity around the grill closer to the house, so I'm drooling already!  My baked beans smell pretty darned good, too!  With the skiing, (for me anyway) it's all about being together and having a nice big meal when they come back from the slopes.  We got a chalet with a fireplace.  Now I have to get a big bottle of B&B - my favorite after dinner drink. Nothing like sitting around the fire with a cuppa B&B! LOL!

mothermitzi   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

You with your B&B..with me...it would be Merlot

As far as my skiing experience well lets just say this...When it comes to Downhill skiing, no one goes through more instructors than I....I get it after a while, but those 4 year old just keep blowing past me on the Bunny Slope.

Its been really nice to chat!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello mothermitzy,
    So good to see a happy post from you after all the worried ones. What a lovely way to get together with the entire family. Hope for you all, the weather will behave. Happy ski trip. - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts