February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

Lovely picture, Kar. Makes me want a dog too. I remember, when the boys fell asleep like that too. Makes me teary eyed just to think about it. 
    What a beautiful day to go cross country skiing. You will be so sore tomorrow, but will have a wonderful day today. In Scandinavia we mostly do cross country, not so much down hill. Thinking about it, I can still feel the cool breeze in my lungs and face, and that impeccable clean snow glistening. Wish I could still put those skis on, but no - I have enough problems these days walking in the snow. I guess, there is a time for everything. - Pingo

In Response to Re: February Chat 2011:
    [QUOTE]The latest in my "Man and his Dog" collection:
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So many teary posts, today, some with relief (mm), some with rememberance (pingo).  Thank you ladies for sharing your real lives with me.

Here are a few pics of tonight's dinner.  The water is boiling, ready for the pasta.  DH is moving snow around - must ring the bell.

Here it comes!!

After 30 minutes of drying totally separated on parchment (not a sheet, but I swear I considered it!)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ummm! Kar. Looks like you have enough for all of us. How in the world did you have time for all of this and also go skiing? You are amazing! - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Embarassed We didn't go skiing, unfortunately, so I'm not that amazing, lol.  DH scraped the rest of the snow off the roof, and I made the sauce, meatballs, and pasta from 1:30 - 5:30.  He was done about that time so it worked out good.

I'd love to share with all of you.  Just sent these and a few more pics to my folks in Pennsylvania; they wished they lived next door, too!

I baked the meatballs this time as per your suggestion - they were better than ever, thanks!  I baked them at 450 for 10 minutes and 350 for 20.  Lovely.  I didn't have the wherewithal to cook them on the stove with everything else going on.

I'm glad we have leftovers - enough for DH's lunch tomorrow and dinner.  I doubt he'll tire of it; he's Italian after all!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Nothing like a pot of gravy and meatballs to whet the appetite.  Looks yummy!

mothermitzi

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Sorry to hear you didn't go skiing, it was such a beautiful day to do so. But then again, you made dinner for a couple of days.
    I stove braised a pork tenderloin. Served it with tiny Yukon Gold potatoes, a gravy to "die " for and my pickled cucumbers. One of DH's favorite meals.
    Didn't get to make the cookies. Will have to do that tomorrow morning. For TX, they have to be on their way asap.
    DH had to go for another roof inspection today, and I went with him for the ride. I think the media are making people panicky. Of course there are some cheap designs out there. But most homes with a pitched roof should have no worries. It is the big boxes with flat roofs, we have to worry about. Like warehouses and schools and such.
    DH is watching the Superbowl with half an eye - while finishing the reports from our roof visits. I am going to bed - I have no interest in this game. - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Pingo - would you mind sharing your "to die for" gravy recipe?  I am making a pork tenderloing tonight for dinner and wasn't sure what to do for a sauce/gravy.

Thanks!

Kar - once again you amaze me with your cooking!Smile

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies!  Good thing we enjoyed it; it was an all afternoon affair! Maybe the Italian ladies with a lot more practice can do it faster, I don't know?

Pingo, sounds like you and DH had a wonderful meal.  I love pork tenderloin.  I've always roasted mine in a hot oven, but braised it would be so tender you could eat it with a spoon, I bet!  And, the cuke pickles, potatoes...all so delicious!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sure princess.
    Sprinkle the tenderloin well with salt and pepper and brown it in a Tbs. butter in a thick bottomed saucepan. When brown on all sides add hot water, so it comes almost up to half the loin. Simmer until 140 degrees internally - 15 to 20 minutes - turning once. Remove the loin, cover with foil and let it rest, while you make the gravy.
    Add one Tbs. red currant jelly (I use Trappist) to the liquid and let it melt while stirring. In 1/2 cup half and half incorporate 1 - 1/2 Tbs. flour. Add to the pan and simmer while stirring until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Voila - best ever gravy - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, man, does that sound delicious!  Current jelly, I'd never have thought of that, but I can just imagine the richness.  I've got a few questions, though, if you don't mind.   How much liquid, approximately, do you usually end up with after cooking the tenderloin (that you add the Trappist to)?  How many quarts is your sauce pan?  Do you only cook one of the tenderloins at a time?  (I've only seen them come in packages of 2.)  Thanks!  I don't have much experience with gravies.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Didn't have a chance to get on the computer much yesterday, but saw your mtballs and pasta.  Great pictures, Kargiver.  They look delicious!  What with you and SS both talking about cooking up batches of spaghetti and mtballs, you know what ingredients I'll be buying for meals this week!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, tt!  Figured I'd return the favor of your inspiring me to do that delicious pork shoulder. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, how was the smoked football eats?  You were making my mouth water yesterday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

For the two of us I cook only one tenderloin. The other one I cut in 2 inch pieces and use for a totally different meal, but that is another story all together.  Tenderloins also freeze well w/o loosing taste when thawed.
    The pan I use is one of those wide saucepans with a lid. I never measured it, but I usually add about 10 oz. of hot water and probably end up with a little more than a cup of liquid. If I cook two tenderloins, I would add more hot water, but not the double amount. Maybe half a cup more. You don't want to "boil" them. But two of them will give a lot more flavor to the gravy.
    I would never, ever roast a tenderloin in the oven.
    HTH - Pingo
    [QUOTE]Oh, man, does that sound delicious!  Current jelly, I'd never have thought of that, but I can just imagine the richness.  I've got a few questions, though, if you don't mind.   How much liquid, approximately, do you usually end up with after cooking the tenderloin (that you add the Trappist to)?  How many quarts is your sauce pan?  Do you only cook one of the tenderloins at a time?  (I've only seen them come in packages of 2.)  Thanks!  I don't have much experience with gravies.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Everyone.  Remember me?  I feel like I've been away a long time.

Happy Birthday BG!!

TT - I like how you said God gives us a few things to take care of so no one thing overwhelms us. I'm going to tuck that away for when I have one of those "what else can I possibly deal with" days.

Kar - thanks for sharing your pasta pictures.  My favortie is "here they come"

AFM - I won zippo on my squares, so back to work on another Monday morning.  I did get a new comforter set this weekend, so the bedroom is now "redone".  Funny how the one thing did make the difference I was looking for.  The new couch comes Saturday, so then it'll be on to the living room.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I learned the high heat roasting method for pork tenderloin from Rachel Ray - it was one of the dishes that I served to DH when we first stated dating, and he said he'd never liked pork until that day!  I always thought braising was for tenderizing tougher cuts of meat so it never occurred to me to braise tenderloin, but if you love it, I know I will, too, and that gravy sounds divine.  You can't make it from the roasting pan drippings for sure!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bg has a birthday,
    She’s gone through quite a year -
    With ups and downs of medical sense
    And emotional, I fear. 

A new page is now turning,
    With promise of things resolved –
    And happy outcomes in the future
    For family involved. 

I wish you “happy birthday”,
    Hope you celebrate in style –
    With friends and loved ones by your side
    Bringing out that birthday smile. 

Happy Birthday, bg, from toytrumpet, 2011

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I'm so glad that everyone is doing well.  Kar, your pictures are making me what meatballs at 9:30 in the morning.  Luckily the snow melted off of our roof yesterday.  What a relief.  Coming into the final strectch with Saturday.  We have 80 people including us, which is a perfect number.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Happy Birthday BG!  I sure can't top tt's poem.  That was awesome!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Happy birthday BG!!  Love your poems, tt - this was a great one as always.

Winter, I actually HAD some for breakfast, lol!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Very clever poem, tt.  Nicely done!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am sure RR knows, what she is doing. If this is the way DH like it, maybe you shouldn't change it. There is nothing wrong with roasting it, I suppose. However, I would just never do it. Pork tenderloins are such tender and lean meat, I never felt high roasting would do them justice. Besides, you will never get the delicious gravy they make. And if you made that gravy/sauce once --- that is what you would be craving. My mom was my teacher - Pingo
    [QUOTE]I learned the high heat roasting method for pork tenderloin from Rachel Ray - it was one of the dishes that I served to DH when we first stated dating, and he said he'd never liked pork until that day!  I always thought braising was for tenderizing tougher cuts of meat so it never occurred to me to braise tenderloin, but if you love it, I know I will, too, and that gravy sounds divine.  You can't make it from the roasting pan drippings for sure!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, the meat itself is delectable, but no gravy!  I'll have to do a Pingo-braise with gravy, now.  And, as a bonus, I'll have Trappist jelly in the fridge for toast, too.  I usually don't have jelly on hand...a treat!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, what a great poem for BG.  Bg I hope you have a great birthday today. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, don't eat it all up. It lasts for a long time in the refrigerator. You can use it for many more tenderloins. I also put it in my duckling gravy - even in my turkey and roasted chicken gravy. It gives a very nice gamy taste, w/o being gamy. I know this makes not much sense, but that is just the way it is. I also add it to my sweet and sour red cabbage. If at "home", I would have used red currant juice, but it is not available here, so I had to substitute.- Pingo

[QUOTE]Indeed, the meat itself is delectable, but no gravy!  I'll have to do a Pingo-braise with gravy, now.  And, as a bonus, I'll have Trappist jelly in the fridge for toast, too.  I usually don't have jelly on hand...a treat!

Sections
Shortcuts