February Chat 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: February Chat 2011

Yes, it makes sense.  There's good gamey and bad gamey...I understand.  I'll try to hang on to it, but I have to admit if jelly is in the fridge it's probably going to get used.- lol.  No red currant juice here?  Too bad, but at least you found a suitable, delicious sub.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Went out to Hannaford's this morning, just for a change of pace. They are well stocked with all kinds/sizes of Ice Melt.  I bought a 20 lb. bag and have already used about 1/3 of it on the back walk and under the 2 back drainspouts after I hammered the ice down and out - have a couple of bruised bloodied knuckles to show for it.

Got some valentine cards and candy for the grandkids in CVS while I was out and will set about decorating a couple of bags to put the candy in.  As always, hard to find funny cards for young kids and teens.

Time for a nice cuppa peppermint tea - that's something I should have bought more of, really enjoying a box I got at Christmas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, no, tt, that must be painful especially added to winter dry skin. :(

Gracie is enjoying the warmer temps and is out playing with her boyfriend.  She's been out there longer than usual. 

DH got almost all the snow and ice off the roof.  (He wasn't worried about collapse as much as ice dams ruining the roof.)  The ice rake he built got WAY up there.  Poor thing was pretty sore for having weilded that all weekend, but he's relieved to have it taken care of.

Winter, how is the leak doing?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cyclamen is not in full bloom yet, but it's so slow - here's a pic of as it is now - to brighten this grey day -

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, I think you have me confused thankfully we don't have a leak. tt, nice plant.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, that's good.  Was it BG?  I get confused sometimes...sorry!

Wow, gorgeous plant, tt!!  What a deep, pretty pink.  Keep the photos coming as it matures!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

First chance I've had all day to check CC.  Today was the last day of the audit and they're gone.  Should have ended last week but due to weather, it's dragged on. Hopefully, I've seen the last of them for another year.

Happy Birthday bg.  All the best to you today.  You know you have arrived when tt pens a poem to you on your special day!  I remember how thrilled I was when she wrote one to me.  This one is lovely as usual.

kar, the ribs were delicious.  They were Texas style (so I was told) and smoked in applewood.  They also did a brisket, which you could cut with a feather.  I ate like a pig.  Not very ladylike I know, but that's what I did!  I came home with an empty bean pot.  No leftovers.  

Last week, I cooked a pork roast.  Plenty of fat on it and I got enough drippings for gravy.  I know the loin is much leaner and you don't get the drippings.  I like to marinate a pork loin overnight and cook it on the grill in summer - delicious. Funny, years ago I was so afraid of undercooking pork, I cooked it within an inch of its life.  Talk about shoe leather!  

mothermitzi  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mothermitzy,
    So nice to hear from you - I feel you are your old self. No son worries.
    That BBQ sounded so delicious. Are your neighbors from Texas by any chance? The spread you are mentioning, is what is served to us, when we visit. There is are several special places there, that cooks the brisket and the ribs. You order them, pick them up and place them in your smoker to heat them up and you have a wonderful meal. Most Texans do it this way not to have to bother with hours of  marinating them and such. For them it is like us picking up a Costco chicken or a Harrow's Pie. LOL. They serve it with baked beans as well, but truly - they could need some doctoring. They are not Boston BB. Mine are a heck of a lot better. But what am I to say, I am a guest.
    Talking Chicken-Pot-Pie - that is what we are having for dinner tonight. But I made it from scratch.
    How is your Mandeville doing? Hopefully it is not dead yet.
    Chat later - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

Well, I'm not as worried as I was before, but as you know, we never stop worrying.  At least he's in a safer country, although not without its risks.  That's the nature of his job.  I will say I'm better at dealing with it than I was before.

My neighbors took a class somewhere around Boston and learned how to smoke and barbecue using their own equipment. They buy applewood chips and hickory somewhere and do it themselves.  At first, it was touch and go, but now they're pros.  You would think they are from Texas!  When I go to see my cousin in Dallas, that's all we eat - barbecue and tex-mex.  Nothing like it!  I guess it's like people coming here and eating lobster and clams.

Hope your roof and ice problems have lessened.  I didn't hear much water trickling in the downspouts today, but the ice is gone from the edge of my roof. Too bad your PB son's team didn't win.  I'm sure his loyalty is to the Patriots but I bet a lot of his friends there are Steelers fans.  

mothermitzi    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh mothermitzy,
    PB son was as happy as anything. He wanted the Steelers to loose. Guess he is a true and true Pats fan. He told me the town was going completely crazy. Lots more than Boston, when the Pats have been in the SB. The last time the Steelers lost, they turned over cars in his street. Haven't dared to ask this time.
    He invited a few non Steeler fans to his place and cooked them some good chili. He also made my caviar dip and buffalo wings - imagine that? Plus I think, they must have had a few beers as well.
    PA is a really strange country. One cannot buy beer unless one go to a special place, which is usually far far away. Then you have to buy beer by the case - no 6 packs. So if you like - let's say three different beer - you have to buy 3 cases of beer.
    He loves it when he comes home and can have his favorite Sam - just one at the time.
    He will be home in a few weeks for the Presidents BD. Can't wait - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, my mouth is watering at your Super Bowl party fare.  Oh, I wouldn't have been "lady like," either - we'd have made a great pair, stuffing our faces. LOL  (I know ALF's hubby just grilled a pork loin recently and she said it was amazing.  She's in DC, now.) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

As D.D. would text OMG!!! Thankyou so much for the birthday wishes! T.T. that poem is awesome! You all are so kind and wonderful. I just got home from of all places Foxwoods. I am not a gambler and never a gambler will be, but the 78 year old I'm trying to rehab (despite his love of cigarettes, and carbs) with excercize, wanted to treat me to a day there. Well I spent 30.00, and won nothing, non, nada. However It was fun. The best part was my patient, who also has an addiction to poker, was in the poker room. I was checking in on him at his table, and right behind me was James Woods. I called D.H. and not knowing poker politeness,asked if it would be rude to ask for an autograph. D.H. said if he had not started the game, it should be ok. I asked, and he was so nice! Oh, D.H. didn't remember my birthday until we were up for a few hours. Thats ok, he made up for it, he's a great guy, especially with what we go through lately. I'm wiped out now, and going to bed. Why am I always so hungry when I read this thread.? Agaain THANKYOU All for your birthday wishes! WOO HOO, I'm 52!! D.h. said I look great, I'll take his word for it.bg.SmileEmbarassedUndecidedCool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Bg, you are very welcome for the poem.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  What a fun day you had - and to get James Wood's autograph on top of it!  I think I would have not trusted my eyes and thought, "No, he couldn't possibly be here".

Looked out the back window to about 3 inches of slush that's going to freeze by afternoon, where I had so laborously cleared, chopped, and spread ice melt.  That will have to be shoveled away before the temps drop.  I'm so sick of doing this.  If someone would present me with a nice 4 room place that would allow me to bring Cheerio, I would put the house on the market in a heartbeat.  Would miss my birds, for sure, but all this physical labor is getting to be too much.  Oh well, I'll make a hearty breakfast to carry me through it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

bg, so happy to hear of your fun day and cool autograph!  Your patient must think very highly of you to want to do that for your birthday.  Very sweet. 

tt, we hear ya.  Hang tough; it's February - we can all pull through the rest of this winter together.  DH not only raked the entire roof, he shoveled the 3 feet of snow away from the house, all the way around the foundation.  Even he is sick of the constant hard labor, and he's a bonafide snowphile if ever there was one.

I'm feeling claustrophobic, actually.  And, cold!  We had to let the stove go out yesterday as it was "warm" out, and I was baking crackers in the afternoon.  So, I'm getting it going from stone cold, and it's slow to warm the house.

Hm, I wonder where Gracie is...I better find her.

~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Found her - the snow piles are so high I can't see her from the house unless she's in the backyard.  She's packed down paths over the big banks so she disappears from sight pretty quick if she ventures out front or off to the side.  Makes me nervous.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

TT , I know how BG feels (refering to her poem) They are such a welcome gift!!!

Bg..GET OUT!!! you reallky got James Woods autogragh...Only the coolest thing I have heard today..oh..,Happy Birthday ;0)

I launched my new business yesterday with a business certificate from Town Hall so now ...I am committed...or I will be committed..we will just have to wait and see

Well I hope everyone has a productive day

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, I never let anyone know when my birthday is.  Not one to seek attention at all but DD always does something special and she and my friends and family made my 50th 3 years ago very special, but must say I will let you know this year as I want one of your special poems! LOL!  I sold my house and live in a 4 room apartment and don't regret one minute of it but you must be ready mentally.  Took me a few years to get the courage up I must say. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I can understand your nervousness if you can't see Gracie.  She's well trained tho, and I doubt she'll try going beyond the perimeters.

Pingo, wanted to tell you about some pretty good strawberries I got at Hannaford's yesterday.  Just sliced 3 on a bowl of oatmeal and they're surprisingly sweet and tasteful for this time of year.  Grown in USA, Plant City, Fla, and $3.99/lb.  Nice to have a taste of a summer fruit on this crumby day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for your post, Amber.  I've been mentally ready for a year or so now, and have looked extensively.  Ones I feel I would have been happy with scare me with their $1600/m rent.  My income is definitely "fixed" at the age I'm at and money from a sale of a moderate home can be eaten up pretty fast.  I think part of my "cleaning out" binges is actually in the back of my mind getting ready for a move - that and also the inevitable, which at my age can be right around the corner.  Don't want to think of the boys having to plod through all of this (laughs, they probably wouldn't, would just come in and dump everything!  I'll do the dumping, thank you.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  bg that's so cool that you got James Woods autograph.  mm, your superbowl feast sounds awesome and I too would have not been able to be ladylike.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

The rents are scary for sure tt.  I got lucky with a 1200 rent, but I am still working.  I figure if money gets really tight when I am ready to retire, I will go on the list for senior housing.  My cousin is in a very nice one, collecting social security.  They only take 30% of your monthly income for rent. My DD loves my apartment and is always talking about how she would love something like that for her and a roommate as it is a 2 bedroom.  I better watch it or she will get me on that housing list faster than I am ready....  : ) 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Woke up again to a white covered landscape - sick of it? There is no word for how sick I am of this winter. And I don't even have to do physical labor. Our guy is up on our roof again this morning. Bless him! No matter what, he does everything with a smile - even being out in this cold for hours. Will bake him a banana bread this morning. His kids loved it the last time.

Bg, what a fun birthday you had. Good for you to have your thoughts wander to something else. You didn't win anything? Well, that autograph will eventually be more worth, than the $30 you lost. Keep it a safe place and try not to smudge it.

tt, I am worried about you being out there with your bad back chipping ice. A fall at our age can be serious. How old are your grandsons? Couldn't you bribe them with some of your goodies?

Winter, I guess it is count down time for you. How are you doing? With your leg as well as the wedding preparations. Just a couple of more days, and it will be all over.  Then you can relax in your new home.

Kar, how "warm" does it have to be for DH not to have the stove on during the night? it wasn't warm at all last night.

Had a very busy day yesterday baking cookies to sent to our boys for Valentines. Was planning to do 2 different cookies for them, but the sugar cookies I made, were so awesome, that I decided to do two batches of those instead. I got the recipe from America's Test Kitchen - will post the recipe later.
    I packed them with a few other goodies and they are now on the way courtesy of UPS. PB son will get his Wednesday, but TX son not until Monday the 14th - just in time.

You all stay safe - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We've discussed "grandsons" on previous threads, Pingo, and believe me, they are not being brought up the same as you and I did our boys.  I'n lucky with the company I have that plows etc., but only if there are 3" or more, and also a different company that does the mowing in the summer.  It's all these in between scenarios that wear me down.  Oh well, this too shall pass, and I have other bigger fish to fry.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats on the business, icer - may it be fruitful in no time!

tt, yeah, you're right, she's well trained, but she's my baby...I'll worry no matter what, you know how it is!

I've been to the Strawberry Festival in Plant City!  My mom and I lived in Tampa, not too far away, when I was about 10.  They have rides and everything.  I remember making myself super duper sick on strawberry shortcake on the Tilt-a-whirl.  Good times!!

Rent is terrible.  I was paying $1800/month in a non-luxary place in Framingham.  It was nice enough and I had 800 sq feet, but it wasn't the Taj Mahal for pete's sake.  The laundry room didn't even have washers that all worked.  I had to go to the laundromat.

Gracie finally came to the door ready to come in; it's snowing wet, heavy snow so that probably precipitated her packing it in for awhile, no pun intended.  Well, maybe it was intended, lol.  I crack myself up sometimes.

I'm having guacamole for breakfast with the homemade crackers I baked yesterday.  Not the most traditional breakfast, but, man, is it yummy!  I added cumin this time, and I love the smokiness.  I think it was mm's talk of smoked meat that inspired me.  It was the closest I could come, and it did the trick.

Guess who's fast asleep by the wood stove now going in good shape?

ETA:  Pingo, how warm?  Good question; it depends on a lot.  How warm during the day it was (35+ makes it hard to keep the stove going low enough to not overheat the house), if I've used the baking oven (an hour at 400 gets the house up a degree), and how cold it will be overnight (20s isn't so bad).  So, yesterday between the temps being close to 40, my using the oven to bake crackers for over an hour, and the stove having been lit 'til about 3:00, the house was a too-warm (for sleeping) 70 degrees at 9:00 pm.  If we start the stove at that time, we have to let it come up to a super hot 450 degrees and let it stay there awhile so when we pull the catalytic converter it keeps burning properly.  That would have brought the house up to 72, and there ain't now way DH would sleep with it that warm.   Given that all the furniture, walls, etc. were warm, and the temps weren't below zero, the house held the heat.  Got up to it being 63.  Not warm, but no colder than usual.  There, how's that for a long winded answer?!  I had no idea there could be so much to heating a house with a wood stove.  It's kind of hard (for me, anyway).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, yes the count down is on :)  I stayed up till aout 12am attaching the place cards to the favors.  (which is a wine pourer and stopper).  FI printed the table numbers for me last night.  The table numbers are a different musical that we have seen together.  On our invitation we had the lyrics to All I Ask of You from Phantom of the Opera, so we decided to use that as a theme.  The Ceremony music (except when I walk) is all songs from musicals as well as the cocktail hour and dinner music.