Fitness and Motivation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GeoffLO. Show GeoffLO's posts

Fitness and Motivation

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000004639 StartFragment:0000002350 EndFragment:0000004603

Hey Everyone,

I am a member of a group of recent college grads trying to create a new way of approaching physical fitness.  Insufficient or absent motivation to exercise poses a huge risk to the health of average Americans: 30% of people nationwide are obese while only about 13% of US citizens own gym memberships.  We created the survey below to learn more about what motivates the average person to exercise or, in many cases, stay home on the couch.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFFmNloxTE9ZeFpuM1hFSkVGSVNXLXc6MQ

If you have time, please fill out the survey and/or send it to your friends: any response will contribute to our understanding of exercise motivation.  After the survey has received enough responses we may be performing a pilot study in Boston complete with a free gym membership to test out theories on fitness and motivation.  If you would be interested in participating in this study, enter your email at the bottom of the survey.  Thanks for all of your help,

Best,

Geoff

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Fitness and Motivation

Geoff, while you're note sounds credible, I balk at clicking on links from people I don't know and don't recognize as well-established sites.  Good luck, though.

I stay motivated to eat right and exercise for three main reasons. 

1. I'm 38 and look about 28.  I'd like to keep it that way out of vanity and the desire to have many healthy years ahead, not just a long life.
    2. My husband appreciates my good health and healthy weight
    3. Our dog requires exercise and playtime.  It's not fair to her to ignore that need; she is entrusted to our care and her healthy life depends on our taking that responsibility seriously.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I hesitated to respond to this post. But you said it for all of us.
    Bless you - pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I figured he wouldn't get any takers and not know why.

Maybe if he posted the whole survey here he'd get more takers.  Or, he can choose the most important question of the research and make it a poll here with the BDC-provided poll feature.  I'd respond to a poll he creates.  Something like:

When I think about exercising and instead plunk down on the couch my first reason to justify my choice is generally:

A.  I intend to do it later (variety of reasons)
    B.  I don't really think it's necessary or can make a real difference in my life
    C.  I'm discouraged from exercising and not seeing results
    D.  I'm afraid of hurting myself
    E.  I don't have the equipment I want

Or, of course, the converse:

When I consider plunking down on the couch but instead get up and exercise, this is what mainly motivates me:

A.  I want to lose weight
    B.  I want to look more toned
    C.  I enjoy the energy it gives me
    D.  It boost my mood
    E.  A pet relies on me
    F.  I want to be more attractive to my mate

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    You are so funny - got a chuckle reading your post. But right you are. - Mr. Fitness should have come up with these questions himself. Not that I would have answered them.
    Any time one has to go to a link - like the one above - most posters hesitate. As is, we have enough spam already.
    - P

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, I wasn't intending to be funny, but glad to give you a chuckle.  I did smile at my use of "plunk."  It's a funny word!  He doesn't have to use my sample poll questions; I assume he has his own ideas.  My degree is in math - what do I know? :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Guess he didn't appreciate the effort.  Oh, well.  I think my polls were pretty good even if I don't have a degree in psychology. :)