Forums issues today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Forums issues today

Hi Chatters,

I wanted to let you know what went on today with the forums.

We've decided to build our own forums and article comments instead of using those provided by another company. We believe that having that software on our own servers will give us more flexibility and control.

As part of that process, we are moving all of the data from the company we're using now to our servers. In order to make it easier for us to get that data, the company upgraded its software today.

Unfortunately, the upgrade caused problems: It messed up article comments on BostonGlobe.com, it took many of the forums offline, and it caused your July thread to disappear. After working all day to rectify it, this evening we told the company to go back to the earlier version before the upgrade.

It worked; your July thread is back. Unfortunately, in reverting, all discussions started and posts added today are gone.

So, a sincere apology. I can't promise that more weird things won't happen as we make this massive transition, but our developers are working diligently to minimize the disruptions.

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Forums issues today

Dottie, thanks for letting us know. I'm sure getting rid of the software middle man is a good move. Pushing a conractor to care about users who don't interface directly with them is nearly impossible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

These new forums are terrible!  I had to log in again to post!  Just after an hour! and again, it takes you all the way to the top.

And I can't read this because you hire 22 year olds who are cheap to hire and can't imagine that people can't see this 6 point type!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Dottie where are you!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I am having the same issues as hats.  It logs me out after a short time, and there is no option to stay logged in.  Safari crashes if I try to access the forums after my session has timed out (no warning), and logging back in takes me to the main page, and I have to manually navigate all the way back to where I was in the first place when it timed me out.  And, yes, the font is far too small.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

For those of you complaining about the small font.
    A new pair of prescription glasses can work wonders!
    Also you can go to tools on your computer, try increasing zoom to about 150%.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

I'll request that the font size be increased. I've already reported that some of you keep getting logged out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Another way to increase the font size on your browser is to press the Control key in the lower left corner and the plus sign in the upper right. I do that on lots of other sites.

Sections
Shortcuts