French Toast Casserole

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

French Toast Casserole

French Toast Casserole

1 loaf raisin bread (Pepperidge Farm or Market Basket)

8 eggs (plus or minus one!)

2 cups milk

1 cup ½ and ½

2 tsp sugar (or maple syrup)

Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Topping:

Chopped walnuts or pecans

¾ to 1 cup of brown sugar

1 stick butter, melted

Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Cut the raisin bread slices into 6 pieces. Strew in a 9 x 15 pan that’s been sprayed with vegetable oil spray, or buttered. (You can use other bread if you don’t like raisin bread. About 16 – 18 slices of white bread will do.) Whisk the next five ingredients together, pour over the bread, push the bread down into the mix if necessary, cover and put in fridge overnight or at least 6-8 hours.

Mix nuts and sugar and spices and strew over the top of the casserole. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake for 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven. And yes, it’s bread pudding by another name, but it’s easier to get kids to eat it when you call it French Toast!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

French Toast Casserole

Hi Ihavemyhats -

This sounds delicious. Will work out well on one of my weekends in Maine with the family. That is, if it ever warms up. Hard to imagine summertime right now. Thanks!

mothermitzi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

French Toast Casserole

You may have to adjust your cooking time according to your oven and the number of eggs. It will puff up and sizzle before it is done. Also, you can reduce the melted butter to 6 tablespoons if you like.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

French Toast Casserole

Good morning hats,
    Thid sounds delicious - almost like a desert w/ whipped cream or ice cream. Yummy!
    I have already saved the recipe for when my next house guests will be visiting - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

French Toast Casserole

Hi Ihavemyhats,
    Your recipe reminded me of a "bread pudding" recipe similar, that carries it one step further and that I served at an Easter brunch a few years ago.
    It's made in a lasagna dish, Italian bread sliced about 1 1/2 inches thick on the diagonal that's been buttered. You overlap sort of standing up, bread, sliced ham, tomato, and cheese. Whisk together 3 1/2 cups milk, 6 eggs, a tbsp dijon mustard, some hot pepper sauce (if you like) and pour it over the dish. Cover and refrigerate preferably overnight. In the morning sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake at 350 for about 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. This too, puffs up and turns golden brown. Let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.

As with a lot of my recipes, I tore this one from a magazine, McCall's.

Thanks for posting your recipe, it reminded me of this one that had gotten filed away, and that I'll leave in the front of my recipe box now in preparation for this Easter.

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

French Toast Casserole

Yes, that's a savory version. My sister makes one with bread, breakfast sausage that's been cooked, shredded cheddar....They are often called strata, because they are layered. A friend makes one with croutons instead of bread, sausage, cheese, milk and eggs, and cream of mushroom soup as a topping. There's lots of recipes out there. You can pretty much put what you want in it as long as you follow the basic formulas...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

French Toast Casserole

Yes tt, that is like the stratas, I make frequently, when I have house guests. I have many versions - one can actually put in whatever one wants. It is an easy breakfast, if one does not want to get up and prepare the whole 9 yeards. I usually get up, stick it in the oven and then go and get ready. With some Bloody Mary's (which is Mr. Pingo's department) and some cut up fruit - we are all set. - Pingo

[Quote]

Hi Ihavemyhats,

Your recipe reminded me of a "bread pudding" recipe similar, that carries it one step further and that I served at an Easter brunch a few years ago.

It's made in a lasagna dish, Italian bread sliced about 1 1/2 inches thick on the diagonal that's been buttered. You overlap sort of standing up, bread, sliced ham, tomato, and cheese. Whisk together 3 1/2 cups milk, 6 eggs, a tbsp dijon mustard, some hot pepper sauce (if you like) and pour it over the dish. Cover and refrigerate preferably overnight. In the morning sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake at 350 for about 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. This too, puffs up and turns golden brown. Let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.

As with a lot of my recipes, I tore this one from a magazine, McCall's.

Thanks for posting your recipe, it reminded me of this one that had gotten filed away, and that I'll leave in the front of my recipe box now in preparation for this Easter.

tt

[/Quote]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

French Toast Casserole

I know there have been 2 more posts on this thread since mine, but they aren't coming up - perhaps my post will bump them up.

tt

It worked - up they came!

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

French Toast Casserole

I think I would love it. My wife makes a bread in a similar manner, and i love that too. But i only get it in this time of year. And she makes a hard sauce to go with it, It's just powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and milk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

French Toast Casserole

I saw a segment on Chronicle recently...similiar to this recipe but with the addition of maple syrup poured on after baking...oh ya also ...the bread and egg portion put into baking cups...you know...like a cupcake....

They called it french toast cupcakes

My family loved it!

Sections
Shortcuts