Future of our C.C.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Future of our C.C.

If one heeds the TV news reports today, the Globe is losing 1 Million dollars a month, and is predicted to be the next newspaper to either go out of business or go all digital.

Can't help but wonder what this prediction means for C.C.

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Future of our C.C.

Hi tt -

Well, I don't think bdc will go away. I believe they will maintain the boards. I do think it is a very real possibility printed papers will vanish at some point. Never thought that would happen! When we were severely harassed in December, I asked our IT guy at work to set up a message board for me that we could all use. We have peace now and it hasn't been necessary. However, it is all ready to go if something happens here. All you have to do is google my name. I will have activated it by then. So, don't worry. We have an alternative. In the meantime, we have two nice contributors, circles and ken. Something good did happen after what we went through last fall!

mothermitzi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Future of our C.C.

I have heard that the Globe may charge readers a fee to read the Globe online. I wouldn't pay to read a newspaper online.

It will be sad if the globe does stop w/the physical publication of the newspaper. While I read the weekday & Saturday issues online, I like the paper version of the Sunday Boston Globe. I always remember the Globe in our home on Sundays growing up, and has been a "family tradition" as far back as I can remember.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Future of our C.C.

Hi laryan -

I hear you, but I would pay to read the Globe online if they stop publishing a printed paper. I don't like it, but this is the way things are going. I receive daily delivery and get the Sunday Times, too. I especially enjoy reading the papers on Sunday morning with a couple of cuppas, as tt would say. I guess I've resigned myself to the possibility and will deal with the change when it presents itself.

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Future of our C.C.

I saw that on the news as well. Although I remember there being a statement about the Globe staying with its digital publication. I imagine this would be part of that.

They must be getting funds for all these ads we see, so I can believe this is working for them.

I have a very dear friend who has worked for another paper, also owned by the Globe. He has done this printing press job for the past 30 years. I worry about him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Future of our C.C.

Ladies,
    We have subscribed to the Globe for as long as we have been married.
    All news papers have a bad time and I believe the Globe is no different than some of the others.
    When the newspaper 'boys' were still around, we had excellent service, but when our 'boy' was replaced with 'man' driving a car tossing our paper where ever it might land, we got enough of picking up wet, soiled and unreadable papers. So we cancelled. First the daily paper - later the Sunday paper. We did not cancel, because we did not like the printed Globe, but because the delivery service was totally unacceptable.
    I have been more than happy to read my Globe on the net ever since, even though I miss the Sunday Globes flyers and coupons. On occasion we have bought the Sunday paper. I used to justify buying the Sunday paper, that the paper would be "free" by using the coupons. But truly, those missed coupons do not add up to much any more. Even those are saving cents. I am not one to buy products I don't use and I will never buy 5 of something to get 25 cents off. I guess the good old days are gone.
    But one thing I can tell you all - BDC will not disappear. Trust me!!! This I heard through the 'grapewine'. They have plans for us. So, please stay tuned.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Future of our C.C.

I certainly hope the BDC will still be here. I don't even read the local paper as the online Globe is far superior. (Yes, broken boards and all)
    I did google you, MM, but just found some recipes. I am assuming this is because the other one isn't live yet?
    Have a lovely evening, everyone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Future of our C.C.

Hi circles -

You are correct. It can be activated in the blink of an eye if need be.

mothermitzi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Future of our C.C.

I think many newspapers are struggling. We get the Sunday Arizona Republic delivered, but without asking, the are also delivering Fri. and Sat. to entice us to get weekday delivery. But I doubt it will happen. THe Mrs. likes the Sunday papers mostly for the ads. ANd I get my daily news on the internet and on TV.
    so if the Globe decides to just use the net, as long as the keep BDC it's OK with me. THey do advertise on it so perhaps that covers the cost of maintaining it.

Sections
Shortcuts