Happy July!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Happy July!

Good morning everyone.
    Just can't believe the 6 calender pages turned so quickly. What a lovely morning - 55 degrees, when I woke up.
    Actually, when I was WOKEN UP at about 4am. Our smoke detector needed a new battery - and let us know loud and clear. We always change the batteries in our 6 smoke detectors, when we change the time. But apparently this battery - and of course the most difficult to get to - did not hold it's charge.
    Finished some more laundry and ironing in the early hours. Now off to my deck to enjoy my birds w/ a cuppa.
    Chat later - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Happy July!

Good morning,

Almost forgot we were starting a new month, a new page, and hopefully, a new thread without troublemakers.

Sounds as tho you are having better nights' sleep, Pingo.  I remember the time when I would click on the computer in the morning to find a post from you, 1:30, 2:30 a.m.  Sometimes you and Mothermitzi would kibbutz back and forth.  Miss her posts and hope she eventually will join us again, even if just to pop in now and then, same with Hats.

I'm sure you're excited about your week-end trip.  Nice to have an extended family thoughtful enough to include you both, regardless of the distance between.  They must be very fond of you both.  Is it this gentleman you were asking for ideas for for a birthday gift?  What did you finally decide?

Big difference in the temp this morning, at least inside.  Haven't opened my back door yet.  Guess my owl has moved on, even with waking every two hours (sciatica pain) during the night, never heard him - did hear those coyotes yipping and howling tho.

Stopped in Petsmart yesterday to pick up some food for Cheerio and as always, checked out the cats they have there from a shelter.  Wanted so badly to bring home an orange one - she looked so scared - big big eyes.  A little girl and I were talking to her through the glass.  After Cheerio's last experience, I'm not sure she'd even give another cat a chance.  She hisses when she sees one going through the yard now.

Time for me to get moving.  You put me to shame with all you've accomplished already this morning.  I'm a morning person, but not to the point of throwing a wash in and ironing before 7:00!  Have a good day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, July already.  We've had Gracie a year this morning.  I remember her so well in her "great, big crate" that we had put a puppy divider in to make her space in it small.  She was just under 15 lbs.  Soon, the puppy divider was gone having moved it all the way back and then the crate itself too small...time flies and things change just as fast, don't they.

Hopefully the coyotes howling and the owl being quiet are totally unrelated.

Gosh, I need to get moving, too!  What a gorgeous day, indeed.

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Don't think the coyotes and owl sounds are related, we always have coyotes howling in a field not too far from here.

It doesn't seem possible it's a year since you first started posting about Gracie.  What's her special birthday treat today?

How are the bees doing?  Have you peeked in their hive yet?  See very few around here so far.  Last year we had a lot.  Quite a few flowers blooming now, some flox have come out the last couple of days, and where I had some branches trimmed back, a new deep orange lily has blossomed.  Poor thing just need some sun.

Getting ready to go out in an hour or so, will chat later.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning TT.  Beautiful day it is!  If it helps any, I have had great luck with having multiple cats.  I had 3 at one time and then introduced Amber as a puppy.  I found as long as i bring a kitten, the cats will tolerate it.  They actually begin to mother it and discipline it if necessary.  They will be wary in the beginning, but not hostile.  Almost like they know it is a baby.  Just a thought!

In Response to Re: Happy July!:
    Good morning, Almost forgot we were starting a new month, a new page, and hopefully, a new thread without troublemakers. Sounds as tho you are having better nights' sleep, Pingo.  I remember the time when I would click on the computer in the morning to find a post from you, 1:30, 2:30 a.m.  Sometimes you and Mothermitzi would kibbutz back and forth.  Miss her posts and hope she eventually will join us again, even if just to pop in now and then, same with Hats. I'm sure you're excited about your week-end trip.  Nice to have an extended family thoughtful enough to include you both, regardless of the distance between.  They must be very fond of you both.  Is it this gentleman you were asking for ideas for for a birthday gift?  What did you finally decide? Big difference in the temp this morning, at least inside.  Haven't opened my back door yet.  Guess my owl has moved on, even with waking every two hours (sciatica pain) during the night, never heard him - did hear those coyotes yipping and howling tho. Stopped in Petsmart yesterday to pick up some food for Cheerio and as always, checked out the cats they have there from a shelter.  Wanted so badly to bring home an orange one - she looked so scared - big big eyes.  A little girl and I were talking to her through the glass.  After Cheerio's last experience, I'm not sure she'd even give another cat a chance.  She hisses when she sees one going through the yard now. Time for me to get moving.  You put me to shame with all you've accomplished already this morning.  I'm a morning person, but not to the point of throwing a wash in and ironing before 7:00!  Have a good day.
    Posted by toytrumpet

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, one year with Gracie!  Wow.... seems like yesterday.  They do grow fast don't they?  You have many more years to enjoy with that gorgeous dog : )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    One year with Gracie? Can't believe, how the time flew. Thanks so much for sharing with us all the ups and downs (fortunately mostly ups) in Gracie's first year. It has been so entertaining. She is a beautiful dog, and I wish her many, many healthy years ahead. And so do I Gracie's mom and dad w/o too many worries about her. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, please don't pat me on my shoulder just yet. I was up and awake with the darn smoke detector going off. Beeping every 30 seconds or so. The more I tried to get back to sleep, the more awake I became. So, I finally decided to utilize the time. Thus a bit of ironing, making lunch for Mr. P plus watering plants etc. in very early am.
    When Mr. P got up, we brought in the tall ladder and got that stupid battery changed. Then I went back to bed and got a few hours of "shut eyes".
    But you are right. Somehow I am sleeping a lot better these days. I do miss Mothermitzy and Hats and Putt. They were adding so much to our Chat. Hope they are alright and will check in sometime.
    Did you get your storage bowls yesterday? I always write my name in permanent marker on both bowl and lid, whenever I bring something - and so far I have always gotten them back. I think most people end up with a bunch of dishes/bowls not knowing to whom they belong. I have several of those. Even our sons bring them back, whenever they come home. They fill them up with socks or underwear (usually dirty for mom to wash), but I guess, they hope I will fill them up again with some goodies.
    Yes, the gentleman is our son's FIL. We are not going to bring him a gift from here, but will buy him a bottle of his favorite - very expensive - Tequila, when we get there.
    Now, I better finish what I have to do today. Have to pick up a dozen bagels to bring to TX. They can't get them there. Then off to get the pedicure, I postponed yesterday. Finally pack. Everything is ready for the suitcase.
    If I don't get back on the boards, I wish you all a very Happy 4th of July - Pingo

PS. We are a little worried about Alex. Hope we don't get stranded somewhere. Hopefully the storm will have passed TX by tmw. morning.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Good morning TT.  Beautiful day it is!  If it helps any, I have had great luck with having multiple cats.  I had 3 at one time and then introduced Amber as a puppy.  I found as long as i bring a kitten, the cats will tolerate it.  They actually begin to mother it and discipline it if necessary.  They will be wary in the beginning, but not hostile.  Almost like they know it is a baby.  Just a thought!"

Evidently you weren't following these boards 2-3 years ago when I brought (well, my granddaughter dropped off) Charlie, the beautiful black and white cat whose picture I posted a week or so ago.  He was 6 weeks old and Cheerio loved him and tried to wash him up, etc., but from the get/go Charles wanted her out of the house.  He would attack her throat and bite her til she cried.  She wouldn't fight back with him.  I tried my best for 2 years and then after falling down a flight of stairs trying to get to them to break up yet another fight, found another home for him - my granddaughter's other grandmother.  He had terrorized her so that time that she ( re-reading this I want to clarify the "she" is Cheerio, not my granddaughter's other grandmother!!) had peed all over herself and my hardwood floors.  He's now in a home where 2 other cats have been brought in, and evidently isn't the dominant male, because they all get along fine. -  Such a sad story, because I loved him so.  He really was funny and has a great personality - except where it came to Cheerio!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

No TT, I wasn't on the boards then.  How sad for Cheerio and thank God you are ok from your fall!  You did the right thing by placing him in another home and God bless you for doing that and not just dropping him off at a shelter.  I too would be very wary to introduce another kitten, but I'm sure Cheerio loves all the individual attention and love she gets from you : )  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Comfortable day for working around, especially if you have anything to do around the house, Pingo.  Imagine by now you are all packed and anxious to actually get in the air.  Have a wonderful time.

Tomorrow's prediction is for the 70's, so perfect for the baking I will do, sugar star cookies decorated red/white/blue, and some whoopie pies.  I'll fill the pies Sat.

Ran into my Fla friend in the S&S today and asked about Claude.  He hasn't visited her pool since she last saw him - but that may be because they've been trying to clear up the water and there's been a lot of activity around it.  I'll stop over next week and enjoy her patio.

Are we going to get a picture of Gracie with her birthday cake, Kargiver?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's a photo of her a year ago today.  I think if I baked a cake I'd eat it all.  No sugar for Gracie, and DH is working late tonight.  So...sigh...no cake.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG - I never saw a pic of her before when she was so SMALL!  Such a cute little thing.

Speaking of birthday cakes or such for dogs, when I was out at the Essex Co-op there's of course a whole aisle devoted to dogs.  There was this humungous real bone all wrapped in clear cellophane - I've never seen anything so big and can't imagine what size dog could even begin to work on that.  Was going to ask at the desk, but then got all caught up in seeing if someone could lug my purchases out to the car for me, and forgot. 

Give Gracie a hug and a kiss on the top of her head.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, wasn't she so tiny?  Who could imagine the 75 - 80 pounder she'd grow into.  I'll give her a big squeeze from you and everyone.  She's so affectionate she'll be tickled pink. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Kar, how do you keep your floors so shiny?!?!

P.S. Gracie is too cute!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Peonie!  DH actually placed every board himself and originally gave it a more dull finish (semi-gloss), and in preparation for getting a puppy who could scratch it quite easily gave it a few coats of high gloss poly for durability.  It's not quite as shiny these days...wear and tear, ya know? 

Wasn't she adorable?  I actually teared up when I found that photo...sigh.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Good morning everyone! Happy belated birthday to Gracie. such a lucky pet to be so doted on. I want to thank you all for the wonderful ideas for day trips. I especially love the Salem idea! I never would have thought of that! My plan is to have 1 or 2 trips a week,and your ideas are so helpful.Like everyone I cant believe its July already. Maybe It's because I'm getting older,but time is moving on way too fast! I want to enjoy every moment and be present in the moment-maybe that will slow it down? Anyway,again thankyou for the tips-you are all so nice. b.g.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning BG,
    Not that we are a nosy bunch, but a "report" of some of your outings would be nice. We can all learn from each other.

And with this I am shutting down my computer. Wishing everyone a safe and happy 4th.
    Ok, Texas here I come! Hopefully Alex will not interfere.
    Best to all - Pingo

In Response to Re: Happy July!:
    Good morning everyone! Happy belated birthday to Gracie. such a lucky pet to be so doted on. I want to thank you all for the wonderful ideas for day trips. I especially love the Salem idea! I never would have thought of that! My plan is to have 1 or 2 trips a week,and your ideas are so helpful.Like everyone I cant believe its July already. Maybe It's because I'm getting older,but time is moving on way too fast! I want to enjoy every moment and be present in the moment-maybe that will slow it down? Anyway,again thankyou for the tips-you are all so nice. b.g.
    Posted by beastsgirl

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bye, Pingo!  Have a wonderful trip.  I must have missed you by now, but maybe you'll log on from there?  We'll be thinking of you.

BG, thanks - I really can't believe we have just celebrated having her a whole year in our home.  She was a mere 8 weeks old when we got her, and now, sigh, she's all grown up.  I wonder if she remembers that first night here in a "strange place" in her crate that she would grow to love...

Happy 4th everyone!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What are everyone's plans for the 4th?  The son's I'm going to in Newton lives not too far from fireworks that night, but I leave before dark.  128 is not my favorite drive at night.  It's a casual group, relatives, friends of theirs, and of course, now a whole new dimension of friends of little Lilly.  When they were down last Sunday I noticed she's now taken to calling me, instead of Nana Nana, Nanny Nanny!  Her true beloved is her grandfather (my son) who she calls Papa.  Papa can do no wrong and she wants him to do everything for her.  He told me he can't remember life before her, and couldn't imagine life without her.  Since they live in the same house, she is up and down stairs constantly, and he loves it.

Well, time to get around.  I want to get my baking done this morning.  To anyone I don't chat with before then - Happy 4th.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lilly sounds like just a doll, tt, what a blessing.  Have a lovely time with son's family.

We're heading right back to NH to the lakehouse with the in-laws, again this weekend.  They throw a stellar 4th of July party every year.  And, this year will be no different despite having had their anniversary party last weekend.  (Last year I missed it; I stayed home with the puppy while DH had to go by himself.)  I'm so glad we have such a great place to leave Gracie so we can all relax and have fun (including her!).

Looks like another stellar day on the cooler side.  This weekend will be a scorcher, it appears, but happily Gracie will be in A/C.  She hates the heat.

Enjoy, all.  Be safe.

~kar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Are your inlaws on Lake Winnipesaukee, Kargiver?  I know there are many lakes and ponds in NH, all of them beautiful spots.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, tt, my in-laws have a beautiful place right on Lake Winnipesaukee.  When we lost the computer, I lost all the photos I've taken of it, but I'll get a few new ones this time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I love that whole area.  Have vacationed there since the boys were small - always renting, usually the Weirs Beach area so there'd be things for them to do within walking distance.  Beautiful views from anywhere around the Lake.

Just walked out into the kitchen to get a second cup of coffee and saw the most beautiful bird at the feeder.  At first I thought it was a purple finch, but it was so brilliant.  Looked it up and it's a House Finch.  Much brighter chest and  head stripes than the purple.  At last word of my seed is spreading around, I guess.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's hoping the beautiful House Finch spreads the word!!!

Guess what?  I happened upon a backup that my mac account did automatically (YAY!), and I recovered a bunch of old pictures.  Here's one I found of their lakehouse.  I think it's near Weirs, but I'm not all that familiar with the geography of the lake yet.