Humanity

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Humanity

I'm amazed how people with pets love and care for their pet's and when the time comes to make a decision as to what's best for a pet in it's later years - pain and suffering or putting the pet down, pet owners prefer not to let their pet suffer.

This year we will be able to vote on legalizing euthanasia here in Mass. being able to get a prescription for med's that will put us out of our pain and suffering when dealing with a terminal illness.

So, my question is what would you do? Let nature run its course or end your life on your terms with a few pills in an effort to avoid pain and suffering?

Undecided

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Re: Humanity

No doubt I would go for the pills, especially under the circumstances spelled out in the bill (terminally ill, only months to live, no cure, etc.).  I have (and been through) how families suffer when loved ones are suffering with no hope of survival.

I have also been there with 2 of my pets as they have been euthanized.  Euthanazia is much more peaceful.  It is much more "humane."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

It's not that simple, every situation is unique to the individual... you don't know how you will feel until you are in the throes of it. I have seen people that had requested to be DNR change their mind at the last minute and fight to live, I have also seen people stop all treatment and give up hope even when they had options.  Dr Kevorkian served eight years in prison and was villified because he believed people had the right to choose euthanasia.  With pets it comes down to whether you can keep them comfortable or not plus the chances for recovery, unfortunately finances often play a role.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm at a loss as to what to say because everything I was thinking dog-lady already said very well.  I concur 100%.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Humanity:
    I'm at a loss as to what to say because everything I was thinking dog-lady already said very well.  I concur 100%.
    Posted by kargiver

OK? Why can't I see dog-ladies post????????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Robin39 is covering for DL outside of Pets.  Wink    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22494462               http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22417862

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

omg, I didn't even notice, I swear I remember it as dog-lady; my brain made the switch.  My apologies, Robin. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I believe Robin and DL are one and the same. - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know, that's why I read "dog-lady" (because my brain subconsciously made the substition) when it actually said Robin, lol.  I totally did it without realizing my mistake and probably never would have noticed had RT not asked about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I highy recommend watching the HBO documentary "The right to die in Oregon"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I find that the most difficult "thing" to deal with in life, is death......"irony" defined!

And as I have said before, we're all born with an expiration date, we just don't know what it is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

I suppose it depends if it tightly regulated, with a ton of checks+balances in place (eg psychologists etc). 
    Last thing we want is people feeling a burden on their family and opting to die just because of that. Equally we don't want families pushing for granny to die this week cause little suzie has a vacation planned next week, or even worse because granny has a shedload of cash they want their hands on. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I recommend the book "Between the Dying and the Dead" Dr Jack Kevorkian  RIP 
     A sample of his artwork.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

I recommend the book "Between the Dying and the Dead" Dr Jack Kevorkian  RIP   A sample of his artwork.  
    Posted by Robin39

Sounds like a self-help book on turning 40! :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Humanity : Sounds like a self-help book on turning 40! :)
    Posted by plasko

I would have laughed more at that before turning 40 this year!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

40 That's nothing!   Wait till 50 and above, that's when the real fun starts!!! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

omg, I can't wait, lol.

Sections
Shortcuts